Home

LA Speed Story- SR71

Posted By: white17

LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 09:19 PM

Posted By: .204

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 09:27 PM

Now here is a story I can get behind! My dad was a navigator on the SR-71 from 67-73 at Beale AFB. Fond memories of growing up there. Lt Col James W Fagg. The Pilot and dad had to crash land one at Kadena AFB. What a plane! I have read the story you posted Ken and heard many others. Awesome!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 09:29 PM

grin grin

King of speed...the fastest guys on the block...

My father would have loved this ! And understood completely the friendly speed competition.

" It's a pilot thing"....indeed grin " across the ground..." wink

Tis fun when you ARE the fastest and hold back to be last to ask your speed , with that Mona Lisa smile all the while ...

Thank you for this, Sir Ken.

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jwill
Now here is a story I can get behind! My dad was a navigator on the SR-71 from 67-73 at Beale AFB. Fond memories of growing up there. Lt Col James W Fagg. The Pilot and dad had to crash land one at Kadena AFB. What a plane! I have read the story you posted Ken and heard many others. Awesome!

Here's your story Jwill ! What an airplane !

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/17_on2015-above-beyond-180956605/
Posted By: .204

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 10:01 PM

Indeed! Dad passed away A couple years ago. Thanx for posting. Good to reminisce!
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 10:05 PM

grin
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 10:40 PM

Ken that story is so cool I had to listen to it twice.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 10:44 PM

Thanks for sharing. Our son is settled in at Whiteman AFB this week. I will share that video with him grin
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 10:47 PM

I was doing a short job on Elmendorf AFB in the late 70’s. There was a SR71 setting next to the O Club. A few days later I heard a roar and saw it pointing up and disappear to a speck in the sky and turned level hit the throttle and disappeared. Most awesome thing I ever witnessed.

I didn’t know what type of aircraft it was at the time. It was really different with being flat black and blacked out windows. It set there for several days and there was a large puddle of hydraulic fluid under it. Just remembering my thoughts of my impression of it!

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:07 PM

Yeah but if you can't get in and out of a 300 foot sand bar..........what good is it ? laugh

Pretty amazing engineering. Even the fuel had to be specially created. The fuel was used to cool the skin of the A/C at supersonic speeds as well as lubricate moving parts in the pumps and engines.

At low elevations and subsonic speeds, fuel would leak onto the skin of the fuselage. It would also allow the fuel to cool before going back to high altitude SS flight where it could again absorb heat from the friction of flight.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:12 PM

I sure hope there is still development of projects like the SR71 going on despite who is in the Oval!!!

I wonder after your comment Ken about fuel if that wasn’t what was puddled under it?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:16 PM

Coolest, bad-[butt] airplane EVER!!!!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Yeah but if you can't get in and out of a 300 foot sand bar..........what good is it ? laugh

Pretty amazing engineering. Even the fuel had to be specially created. The fuel was used to cool the skin of the A/C at supersonic speeds as well as lubricate moving parts in the pumps and engines.

At low elevations and subsonic speeds, fuel would leak onto the skin of the fuselage. It would also allow the fuel to cool before going back to high altitude SS flight where it could again absorb heat from the friction of flight.

I read up on that , when it was invented, and the specialized fuel needed . The skin and how it acted on the ground and in flight fascinated me . It reminded me of a living breathing entity. The article stated that they do leak fuel when on the ground. That's part of the "breathing " .
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:38 PM

They leak fuel on the ground because they are cold and the rivets start to leak. When the fuselage heats up, the metal expands and seals around the rivets. i have seen one at Mildenhall UK and one in a UK museum a few years ago.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:47 PM

Is there one in a museum in the U S of A?

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:47 PM

made a special, 4 hour trip to The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio JUST to see an example of this airplane! INCREDIBLE engineering and design!

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

There is one at Boeing Field south of SeaTac. And usually one of the pilots there to give a talk about it. Well worth the effort if you're in the area

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:49 PM

there are a number of them in museums around the country

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:51 PM

what amazes me is that the thing was designed in the late 1950's/early 60's without modern computers...mostly slide rules.

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/07/21 11:56 PM

Same with the moon shots. Those engineers were all using sly drools.

I was working as a draftsman right out of high school at Space General. It was Aerojet General at the time. There wasn't a computer in the whole place. It was all slide rules. No CAD programs either. All tee square & triangle .

I was lucky enough to work for 7 engineers designing a nuclear engined re-entry vehicle. Learned a lot from those guys.

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:01 AM

How many MPH are we talking?

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:02 AM

mach 3. 2000 +

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:02 AM

Mach 3...at LEAST!

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:05 AM

I have a titanium dog tag made from a piece of 61-7972; the one that set the official world speed record.

This aircraft holds many records that were set on 6 March 1990, when it was flown from Palmdale to Dulles in what was intended to be the last USAF flight of the SR-71. It also holds the New York to London record of 1 hour, 54 minutes, 56.4 seconds set in 1974.

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:07 AM

That is quick! Has that been surpassed by now, I'm guessing?

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:07 AM

My Dad flew a Taylorcraft, Swift, and a Cessna 180. laugh Correction....Cherokee 140 180 and Cherokee 6

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:22 AM

Actually the X15 was a lot faster than the SR71 and years earlier. X15 was flying mach 6.7+ in 1967. But it was rocket powered, not an air breathing turbine engine
Posted By: MJM

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:41 AM

Can you imagine what they thought in Desert Storm when that thing zipped past. They had no clue.

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 12:45 AM

at 80,000 feet, I wonder if they saw it....

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 01:27 AM

X15 was twice as fast and the space shuttle was way faster than both of them in a glide. ( during reentry ) but they were not planes in the true sense like the Blackbird was. The only one that did go faster was the A12 in the oxcart program but it was pretty much a twin of the Blackbird. The A12 was a single seater version and somewhat lighter than the SR71 and faster but not by much
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 02:51 AM

if you asked me at 9-10 years old what I wanted to be when I grew up

I wanted to be an SR-71 blackbird pilot , I even had some right seat stick time on a Piper an Cessna , plan was Ground school at 16 and air force when high school was over or something like that.

then they moth balled it , dreams gone and then I got glasses

oh well
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 03:11 AM

Yes took my boys to see it in Nebraska. I can’t remember what town
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 03:15 AM

Gary just found it. Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum. S.A.C. Ashland NE
Posted By: Cragar

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

X15 was twice as fast and the space shuttle was way faster than both of them in a glide. ( during reentry ) but they were not planes in the true sense like the Blackbird was. The only one that did go faster was the A12 in the oxcart program but it was pretty much a twin of the Blackbird. The A12 was a single seater version and somewhat lighter than the SR71 and faster but not by much

There is an A12 sitting on the deck of the aircraft carrier museum Intrepid docked in NYC.

The A12 was just a wee bit faster and flew just slightly higher in altitude. Yes , a bit lighter too as the overall length was a bit shorter.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
if you asked me at 9-10 years old what I wanted to be when I grew up

I wanted to be an SR-71 blackbird pilot , I even had some right seat stick time on a Piper an Cessna , plan was Ground school at 16 and air force when high school was over or something like that.

then they moth balled it , dreams gone and then I got glasses

oh well

Wow. Same for me. I had the models. Knew all the stats... long since forgotten. Seems there was something about a Buick 350 that played a part in starting the engines.

And when I realized my glasses would DQ me from ever having my chance... I threw it all aside. Of course there's LASIK now, but time has marched on for me and the plane. A burgeoning interest in the female of our species helped hasten the loss of interest too.

And again, if I remember correctly, 83,089 feet was the record for the altitude at 3000ish mph.

I remember a USAF commercial with the Blackbird in it. Listed the record stats and then said, "That isn't good enough anymore." I remember thinking if the world record isn't good enough anymore, what have they developed to replace it that they aren't telling us about?

Mike
Posted By: 30/06

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 05:37 AM

Here's a link to an interesting article about Swedish air defense fighters assisting a crippled SR71:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...stricken-sr-71-to-safety-during-cold-war

Cool trivia: Titanium used to construct the SR71s mostly came from Soviet mines, sourced with help from CIA-run shell companies.

p.s. I don't have the bandwidth right now to watch W17's video, so apologies if I just posted something redundant. I'll view the video tomorrow when I go to town. Looking forward to it!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 05:40 AM

In the 70's I fished and hunted around Beale AFB and saw them coming and going all the time. Somebody once told me how far out the had to start their descent.

Pete

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Gary just found it. Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum. S.A.C. Ashland NE

Very cool! I had no idea.
Posted By: bandy

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 11:45 AM

I saw the one in Dayton beyond cool.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 01:27 PM

There is also one at the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport...
Posted By: jk

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 02:05 PM

The U 2 also has an unreal take off and landing angle too. They just disappear in the sky over head.....jk
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 02:26 PM

I showed that video to my son last night he thought it was cool

he gets to the end and he is like

dude that Cessna totally got Trolled

yes yes he did , way before the internet an trolling was even a thing pilots were the original Trollers I suppose

over thanksgiving I was talking with my dad about one of the flights I didn't get to go with for. it was the highest he ever went with out oxygen kind of cool he would have preferred to have oxygen they just hadn't been expecting to go that high , but clouds and icing forced it
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jk
The U 2 also has an unreal take off and landing angle too. They just disappear in the sky over head.....jk

I saw them at McCoy AFB when I was stationed there 70-72. It was great watching those Chevy El Caminos chase the planes on landing. They were 396 SS El Caminos.
Posted By: Actor

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 02:48 PM

Thank you for the post White17... that was fun ...

Garry-

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 03:10 PM

The first edition of the U2 was cool. Some engineer after a good night out must have decided to take those stubby little wings of a 104 Straighter and replace them with the longest and floppiest wings one could possibly stick on that air frame and then fly it to altitudes where the air was so thing that the plane could stall out at it max speed.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Actor
Thank you for the post White17... that was fun ...

Garry-

x2
Posted By: 30/06

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/08/21 05:45 PM

Enjoyed the video!

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/10/21 01:20 AM

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/10/21 01:23 AM

Quite an American.
Posted By: run

Re: LA Speed Story- SR71 - 12/10/21 04:50 PM