Home

I guess not everyone loves them

Posted By: AntiGov

I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 03:57 AM

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...regon-police-search-suspects/8838393002/
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 04:17 AM

Not a big fan of poisoning things... But the bleeding heart agenda in that story is nauseating.

I'm guessing some rancher got tired of losing stock and fixed it himself... If that's the case, I can't blame him. If the state and federal government would let folks handle depredation problems, people wouldn't feel forced to do stuff like this.

Mike
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 05:35 AM

Probabaly usda doing the poisoning missed the target of the coyotes though.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 05:52 AM

I dont like poisoning but it seem to be effective and sounds like they wont get caught unless they talk to the wrong person.

Im glad i dont have to deal with wolfs.
Posted By: Boco

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 06:20 AM

Wolves as an apex predator need to be managed.It is more crucial to manage wolves than likely any other animal in the bush.
With no management in place there will be more SSS.

Poisoning is indiscriminate-I am against it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 11:54 AM

Around here it's the elk. G&P brought them in and turned them loose, then shrug their shoulders when they wipe out grain crops in the summer and haystacks in the winter. One farmer had $10000 damage done to one pivot of soybeans. A rancher near Martin SoDak had them eating haystacks. The G&P finally told him "just shoot them." Everybody likes to see them but they eat alot of grain and hay.
Posted By: Bryce Traps

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 03:42 PM

I'm not against the death by poisoning, but rather that you won't end up with the fur half the time.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by H2ORat

Highly unlikely and a bad assumption. More like a laced carcass.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot

Highly unlikely and a bad assumption. More like a laced carcass.

your usda must be different than ours. but i wouldnt be surprised at a laced carcass either.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 06:35 PM

USDA uses M-44's which is a cyanide device. Would of had to have each wolf pull the or multiple devices. I think it's an unlikely scenario. I'm sure they already know what was used as a poison so they would of known if it was cyanide. I don't think it was, so that's why they asking the public for help. I guess that's why I'm leaning to a laced carcass by a private individual.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 06:50 PM

USDA is PROHIBITED from using m-44’s in Oregon at this time. Thanks to one or two unfortunate events.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 07:14 PM

I am a fan of SSS. We don't have wolves of course but we do have lots and lots of coyotes, and feral dogs. We may be unique in the fact we have the advantage of coyotes being dual designation fur animals when in season and nuisance when not, so we are allowed to take them then with whatever means we see fit. It may not be OK with city folk but when you only have few calves each year every one counts.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Not a big fan of poisoning things... But the bleeding heart agenda in that story is nauseating.

I'm guessing some rancher got tired of losing stock and fixed it himself... If that's the case, I can't blame him. If the state and federal government would let folks handle depredation problems, people wouldn't feel forced to do stuff like this.

Mike

I see your point. I would rather see wolves trapped or shot. But, if a farmer is losing his livestock to wolves I can understand the farmer has to take drastic measures sometimes when there are no other options.
These fanatics would rather see the wolves left alone and tough luck for the farmer.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 08:24 PM

Maybe my dislike for the usda is showing -- after the performance I witnessed on two large "organic" dairies dealing with starlings, I lost all respect for them. They couldn't use poison on the farm where the trouble was at because it was organic and the owner didn't want any visitors to see the sick starlings running around. Those dairies had great opportunities to set up nets and take care of the issues -- don't know why they didn't. They got permission from a couple of the neighbors to poison them on there property - no problem with that, they baited them for about 3-4 days to their little stations and then poisoned --- the collateral damage to the songbirds and doves was disgusting. and they still had many starlings in their feeding area. They finally found a non organic dairy that was close by and poisoned the normal feed areas --- that is what they should have done in the first place.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 08:50 PM

Strange, starlings are usually suckers for traps. Sounds like the particular control agents didn’t have a clue. I am discovering that it is actually quite difficult to find QUALIFIED individuals to fill wildlife services positions.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Wolves as an apex predator need to be managed.It is more crucial to manage wolves than likely any other animal in the bush.

I would argue that deer need to be managed more than wolves.

Deer will destroy the habitat if not kept in check especially when there are no wolves to keep numbers down.

Wolves do no harm to the environment and could be argued they are a benefit to the environment by keeping browsers in check.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 09:01 PM

I can believe that -- not great pay, year to year employment, and dealing with all the anti neighbors ---- what is not to like about that job.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/08/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

Deer will destroy the habitat if not kept in check especially when there are no wolves to keep numbers down.

Wolves do no harm to the environment and could be argued they are a benefit to the environment by keeping browsers in check.

Here in Oregon we DO NOT have an over abundance of grazers. And the wolves do tremendous damage to the big game populations that we do have. And when the wild ungalute population is decimated the wolves turn to domestic stock.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 02:28 AM

X2 newhouse. where I hunt in the ne corner of our state (same unit for 30 + years) you can definitely see the effects of the wolves. It was never a great deer unit but the elk was great. The deer are about the same (more white tails than mulies now) but the elk have suffered horribly. Cougar and bear have also seen increased numbers - i am sure they are also a factor.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 02:32 AM

X2 newhouse. where I hunt in the ne corner of our state (same unit for 30 + years) you can definitely see the effects of the wolves. It was never a great deer unit but the elk was great. The deer are about the same (more white tails than mulies now) but the elk have suffered horribly. Cougar and bear have also seen increased numbers - i am sure they are also a factor.

Only thing worse than the wolves on game here in Oregon is our fish and game department

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 02:36 AM

The reward is now at $43,000 ...... crazy

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 02:52 AM

Wow -- guess I'd better be more careful next time I see one -- I wouldn't want to accidently hit it with a stray bullet shot at an elk or deer laugh. AG you are 100% correct about our fish and wildlife dept. I am hoping the new gal we got on the commision (replaces the complete portland anti wooley) will be much better -- at least she hunts and traps (still a portlander though).
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 03:18 AM

Deer Are Managed.....Wolves cannot be in many States
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 07:06 AM

If this guy or guys are caught, they will probably do more time and pay more fines than a casual kid killer. A sad point in society when a wolf's life is "valued" more than a human's or at least on the same level. I bet most of the wolf huggers haven't donated a dime to help stop human trafficking in the West. I hope a wolf kills their little dog pet on some camping trip...
Posted By: 3togo

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 12:07 PM

Gary,
Wouldn't it be great if the Nebraska F&G would make non-resident elk permits available for culling some of the "nuisance" elk the ranchers complain about instead of just shooting them.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/09/21 07:02 PM

Buwahahaha!!!
Another clueless moron weighs in.
So sad.

Re: I guess not everyone loves them - 12/10/21 01:34 AM

Lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums