Home

2-3 man hot tent

Posted By: Deerkiller

2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 09:11 AM

Does anyone use a 2 or 3 man hot tent with wood burning stove? If so what name or tent and stove? Looking for something light weight I could pack in and spend a week or so in. Temp will get down in 10-20 deg F.
Posted By: James

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:07 AM

You want a tent AND stove you can pack in on your back? Or are you going to haul it on a sled?

Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:11 AM

if your going to pack in with horses or mules i bought an alaknak from cabelas. Very light. Very water proof. I built a stove so no help there. I haul everything with a trailer.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by James
You want a tent AND stove you can pack in on your back? Or are you going to haul it on a sled?

Jim

Yep!

Looking at this one below. Just wanted to know if anyone have ever used one of these small stoves.

https://www.pomoly.com/T-BRICK-Mini-%7C-Portable-Titanium-Wood-Stove-for-Solo-Hot-Tent-Camping-%7C-POMOLY-2021-New-Series-p1820545.html

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:18 AM

I've done cold camps in winter, but the only heated tent I ever used was a 10X12 canvas wall tent. Very bulky and heavy, even cutting your own poles from spruce trees as I've done. Add steel poles, and you're talking some serious weight. Then you've got the weight of the stove to throw in.

Nylon tent material is pretty much out because of the risk of fire. Yeah, canvas isn't fireproof either, but it won't burst into flames like a petroleum-based material will do.

There are the Arctic Oven tents, which can be bought with a propane heater. Again, they're bulky and heavy, and propane raises the humidity in the tent.

Unless you're talking pack horses, or a football team of husky players, you might want to reconsider the "pack" part of your plans. Me, I'd stick with the canvas wall tent, and haul it in by snowmachine or ATV.

Jim

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deerkiller

Jim

Yep!

Looking at this one below. Just wanted to know if anyone have ever used one of these small stoves.

https://www.pomoly.com/T-BRICK-Mini-%7C-Portable-Titanium-Wood-Stove-for-Solo-Hot-Tent-Camping-%7C-POMOLY-2021-New-Series-p1820545.html

Never used a stove that size. I'd be concerned I'd have to get up and feed it wood every hour or two.

Jim

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:26 AM

James, modern hot tents are not nylon. Flame retardant. I like it better than canvas. Stuff is really water proof. Unbelievably light weight. Sewn in floor. So much nicer than canvas with a ground cloth and a small ditch around your tent to drain water away. Plastic tarp over the top to stay dry. Cutting and lashing poles is not my favorite chore either. These new tents can be easily put up by one guy. No dragging heavy canvas over a frame only to find out your buddy was never a boy scout and his lashing didnt hold up. The ridge pole collapsed and you get to fix it and teach him.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:32 AM

I've done cold camps in winter, but the only heated tent I ever used was a 10X12 canvas wall tent. Very bulky and heavy, even cutting your own poles from spruce trees as I've done. Add steel poles, and you're talking some serious weight. Then you've got the weight of the stove to throw in.

Nylon tent material is pretty much out because of the risk of fire. Yeah, canvas isn't fireproof either, but it won't burst into flames like a petroleum-based material will do.

There are the Arctic Oven tents, which can be bought with a propane heater. Again, they're bulky and heavy, and propane raises the humidity in the tent.

Unless you're talking pack horses, or a football team of husky players, you might want to reconsider the "pack" part of your plans. Me, I'd stick with the canvas wall tent, and haul it in by snowmachine or ATV.

Jim

This is the tent I been looking at. It come in at 23 lbs

https://www.pomoly.com/MANTA-Tipi-Tent-With-Stove-Jack-2-4-Person-For-Hot-Tent-Camping-p1091484.html

The stove I was looking at is 10 lbs.

https://www.pomoly.com/T-BRICK-Ultra-%7C-Portable-Titanium-Wood-Stove-%7C-Camping-Tent-Stove-for-3-6P-%7C-POMOLY-2021-New-Series-p1748186.html

The place I want to hunt is a 20 mile horse back ride in and I only want to carry one pack horse. Event at 33 lbs that can be split between 2 people a packed in.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:33 AM

I found that #11 annealed trapping wire works best for lashing poles together. You can get it real tight, and it doesn't stretch.

Jim

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:35 AM

If I don't know what I'm talking about, it's not the first time. lol

Thought I'd save someone else the trouble.

Jim

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
James, modern hot tents are not nylon. Flame retardant. I like it better than canvas. Stuff is really water proof. Unbelievably light weight. Sewn in floor. So much nicer than canvas with a ground cloth and a small ditch around your tent to drain water away. Plastic tarp over the top to stay dry. Cutting and lashing poles is not my favorite chore either. These new tents can be easily put up by one guy. No dragging heavy canvas over a frame only to find out your buddy was never a boy scout and his lashing didnt hold up. The ridge pole collapsed and you get to fix it and teach him.

Danny, if it was waterproof, why did you need to put a plastic tarp over the top?

I used a flame-retardant (because of sparks from the stovepipe) tarp over top of my canvas tent, but canvas isn't really waterproof.

Jim

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:57 AM

Plastic tarp is for canvas tents

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 10:58 AM

I never used wire but I bet it does work good
Posted By: EdP

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 01:46 PM

What I have read about the light weight titanium stoves is that they heat up fast and cool down fast. They have a very small firebox and no mass to hold the heat so they are good for cooking and warming up quick, but won't help keep the tent warm overnight.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 04:24 PM

Check out Kifiru tipi.
Posted By: Marty

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 04:29 PM

Jim

Your wrong again....

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 04:44 PM

I have a seek outside Cimarron and a medium titanium seek outside stove...

Cimarron is under 3# and stove is under 3#. So with stakes and center pole maybe 8# depending on what center pole you have. The stove is for warming up and drying clothes and not meant to burn all night..you still need adequate sleeping system...warm pad and warm bag. But you can get it up to shirtsleeve temps when it is 10° outside. Cimarron is just under 100 square feet and just under stand up straight height for me @ 6'. but I can easily put my chair inside....plenty of room for stove and 2 guys with gear. Seek outside is #1 for these type shelters...The stove really eliminates any tent condensation in the am after you get it going....you can also rig a good line to dry clothes/boots.

Good video comparing tent sizes offered by seek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyTZW00n76A&list=PLcWiCHSe0XzWptMn_3X7vOyAu1Di9inSb&index=1

Cimarron review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3OG0vMZwM&list=PLcWiCHSe0XzWptMn_3X7vOyAu1Di9inSb&index=19

For a longer stay with 3 guys you might look at the redcliff....larger and stand up height....with a xl stove...mine is great for me, actually very spacious.

https://seekoutside.com/cimarron-pyramid-tent/#ob-tab-specs-warranty

https://seekoutside.com/medium-titanium-wood-stove-stovepipe/
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:14 PM

My son just ordered and received one of these along with their glass-front titanium stoves. He is really happy with it and we are planning on doing some winter camps with it. The total weight with stove and pipe is only about 8 pounds. This is a very inexpensive but high quality outfit.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/twinpeak-hot-tent-with-awning

Moosetrot
Posted By: PaSnareman

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:14 PM

For what it's worth, we used the Alaknak from Cabela's for about 15 years. Kept us dry, except when it rained nonstop and we got 2 plus inches of water in the tent (must have set up in a slight depression). It was the 12 by 20 model. Plenty of room. The only problem is that that type of material doesn't hold the heat. Not a problem if you have a good sleeping bag. We even bought an oil drip kit so we could burn kerosene in the stove at night. We have changed to a Kodiak Canvas tent. It holds heat much better. In fact, we now heat with just a propane buddy heater. Much nicer and more convenient than tending a fire, not to mention much cleaner, especially with the kerosene soot when taking down and packing up. Had a lot of good times in the old tent, but much warmer in the Kodiak. I do miss the room though. Not nearly as big. Also miss the access to hot water. Our stove had a nice 5 gallon water tank on the side. Always had hot water as long as the stove was burning. One of the pros of the new materials is that it won't rot if it is put away wet/damp. We never had an issue with mold/mildew and sometimes the tent was not dry when we put it away (probably more times than not). I just didn't have the room to lay it out and dry it out that time of year. The Kodiak is waterproof. Even the floor. We had lots of rain 3 seasons ago, and you could feel the water running under the tent. You could see the floor floating on the water. Lol. We stayed bone dry. We put pallets down outside the door to remove boots, and to just stay out of the snow/mud. A good friend of ours, who has since passed away, recommended the Kodiak. When we went hunting, he put carpet inside his Kodiak. Kept it very nice inside. It protects the waterproof floor from the chair/cot legs, and makes it warmer walking on in your socks. Very comfy. You might consider bunk bed cots to save space. I hope this helps. The convenience and comfort of the propane, along with the waterproof floor is a no-brainer in my opinion. I hope this helps. Message me if you have any questions. Best of luck in whichever you choose.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:17 PM

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/kodiak-canvas-flex-bow-deluxe-8-person-tent?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CCAB%7CTopPerformers%7CCamping&gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUhsVsBK2qXdZVvRVHUCHfpOpwYR2ikHEM7iEyx3Cj5n6GYkXL4s_whoCfE8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:20 PM

If you do decide on a tent with a stove, make sure to draw straws on who gets to load it all night. Lol. Been there. It needs more tending during the night than you think.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by PaSnareman
If you do decide on a tent with a stove, make sure to draw straws on who gets to load it all night. Lol. Been there. It needs more tending during the night than you think.

I have a 14x16 wall canvas wall tent with a stove. So I know even with that big stove it need feed at night. This year I added a propane grill burner in that stove so right before we go to bed I could light it and stay warm all night.

I’m looking for something small I can backpack or pack in with one horse. Where I want to hunt next year is 20 miles one way in. It’s at elevation of 8-9000 feet so even in early September it getting cold. Most of the time I’m hunting by my self and my dog so I just don’t want to pack that big tent for just me for a week. It sucks packing up and unpacking a 4 or 5 horses by your self.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:41 PM

The titanium stoves can be a great asset but you need to accept that it is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country. Trying to keep it burning all night is a waste of energy/sleep. A good pad/bag combo works well for a good nights sleep and the stove works well after you get up....I would not recommend being 20 miles from a trailhead without an adequate sleep system..with a pack horse a wiggys ultima thule might be a good choice...not crazy expensive, roomy and very warm...will keep you warm if you crawl into it wet and by morning you, your clothes and the bag will be dry if your in a waterproof tent. You need a legitimate R-6 or higher sleeping pad.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:43 PM

A good sleeping bag should be all that is needed to sleep comfortably all night. Pre-load the stove and start it before getting up the next morning. Make sure the percolator is ready to go the night before. Seek Outside and Kifaru both make lightweight tipi's with a stove jack. A spark arrestor will prevent small burn holes in the lightweight tent fabric.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:45 PM

I agree with Marty on the importance of a good sleep system vs trying to keep a stove going all night. With the lightweight titanium stoves you will be feeding it, or worrying about it too much to get a good night's sleep.

Moosetrot

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 05:57 PM

t is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country.

X3

The fire is for getting up in the morning and supper of an evening. its nice to be warm sitting around and eating a hot meal. Taking your sponge bath and washing your hair. Visiting with whoever your camping with. I like to make coffee before going to bed so all I have to do is heat it up in the morning. If you can out wait your buddy's need to pee of a morning he will toss some wood in and you can get up in a warm tent. Tossing in a few chunks, taking care of your waste water and setting a couple coffee pots on the stove dont take long. Climb back in bed and wait a half hour. Hot coffee and warm tent are real nice in the winter.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
The titanium stoves can be a great asset but you need to accept that it is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country. Trying to keep it burning all night is a waste of energy/sleep. A good pad/bag combo works well for a good nights sleep and the stove works well after you get up....I would not recommend being 20 miles from a trailhead without an adequate sleep system..with a pack horse a wiggys ultima thule might be a good choice...not crazy expensive, roomy and very warm...will keep you warm if you crawl into it wet and by morning you, your clothes and the bag will be dry if your in a waterproof tent. You need a legitimate R-6 or higher sleeping pad.

Oh for sure! I have a good sleeping bag that’s good for -30 and any kind of pad you can think of. I just and a stove for going to bed and getting up in the morning. The older I get the harder it is for me to get up out of a sleeping bag when it’s cold.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/11/21 06:02 PM

here is my tent while winter trapping/camping. comfort means you get the rest you need when being physically active for days on end.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sneaky

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
My son just ordered and received one of these along with their glass-front titanium stoves. He is really happy with it and we are planning on doing some winter camps with it. The total weight with stove and pipe is only about 8 pounds. This is a very inexpensive but high quality outfit.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/twinpeak-hot-tent-with-awning

Moosetrot

Just a heads up, their customer service is nonexistent. As soon as you open the box it's non returnable.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 02:06 AM

I have a Snowtrekker Basecamp EXP 10x13. Its the best. Its a super lightweight 7oz canvas tent. You could easily pack it along with one horse. They have smaller models as well that are lighter still. In my opinion, tepee tents are for the birds. What they gain in weight saving is far surpassed with all the cons. The center pole is constantly in the way. They are drafty, the nylon condensates. Id rather be comfortable while there, then the walk in. The snowtrekers are expensive, but they are better. Check them out. Mine has been everywhere from just out the back of my truck to 15+ miles in the heart of the bob for bulls and billys.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by D.T.
I have a Snowtrekker Basecamp EXP 10x13. Its the best. Its a super lightweight 7oz canvas tent. You could easily pack it along with one horse. They have smaller models as well that are lighter still. In my opinion, tepee tents are for the birds. What they gain in weight saving is far surpassed with all the cons. The center pole is constantly in the way. They are drafty, the nylon condensates. Id rather be comfortable while there, then the walk in. The snowtrekers are expensive, but they are better. Check them out. Mine has been everywhere from just out the back of my truck to 15+ miles in the heart of the bob for bulls and billys.

Thanks just what I was looking for!
Posted By: Lucky Tag

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 04:22 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We love our 4 person hot tents. 2 people and gear fit perfectly in a 4 person tent. I have a Seek Outside and a Kifaru, both are great. The tent weighs 3 lbs, the stove weighs 2 lbs. One of us carries the stove, the other the tent. I’m the old man in the group and hate sleeping on the ground so I also use a backpacking cot which is another 2.75 lbs.

Brandon
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by D.T.

You mean 12lbs? For the frame? And another 19 for the canvas? 31lbs is a big difference from 7 ounces lol
Posted By: D.T.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 05:06 AM

Canvas weight/thickness is measured in oz, kind of like leather. Most standard wall tents are made of 12oz sun forger canvas. Snowtrekker makes it with 7oz.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 07:19 AM

Davis Tent Go Tent is another option, considerably cheaper than the SnowTrekker if price is a factor. I've got a 16x20 Davis for my base camp tent. Those guys are awesome to deal with. The Go Tent is either 8oz or 10oz, you tell them what you want when you order. Another option to consider. Having stock opens up a lot of options in shelters. Seek Outside Courthouse is another if you want to save a lot of weight. Good sleeping bag rated for the temps you expect to encounter is key, I don't like to tend fires all night.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 09:33 AM

Check out my video below. It shows the differences between the seek outside tents and the snowtrekkers.

Imo snowtrekkers blow everything else out of the water for living and being mobile in the winter.

As for titanium stoves, buy a fourdog titanium. I have one and it will burn at least three hours, and keep coals for 4. Long, low heat output is what you want, and the stove needs to be airtight to do that. Burning all night actually saves energy, even in a properly rated bag. I set my alarm for 4 hrs, and shut the vent right down. At 20 below my tent will be hovering just above freezing, which is a perfect 4 hour temp. Take a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), load the stove and never leave the bag. Back to sleep. Plus fourdog stoves are bullet proof. Seek outside tips are great, and a lot lighter, but often sacrifice durability and have condensation issues. Unless you are talking the smallest packable (junk) ti stoves and lightweight two man tips carrying on your back is generally not feasible for long distances. With my setup on a uhmw toboggan you can live in comfort as long as you have food. And even move every day if you like.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Davis Tent Go Tent is another option, considerably cheaper than the SnowTrekker if price is a factor. I've got a 16x20 Davis for my base camp tent. Those guys are awesome to deal with. The Go Tent is either 8oz or 10oz, you tell them what you want when you order. Another option to consider. Having stock opens up a lot of options in shelters. Seek Outside Courthouse is another if you want to save a lot of weight. Good sleeping bag rated for the temps you expect to encounter is key, I don't like to tend fires all night.

I have 14x16 Davis elk tent with 10 foot cook house. I could use my 10x14 foot cook house and be at the same weight as the go tent. It just sucks to put up with log poles by myself. My wife keeps telling me I’m not 25 years old anymore and I need to get a hunting buddy to go with me. Lol

This pass Sep I hunted 20 miles in the backcountry spent two nights in a cowboy roll bed. It got down in the 20’s at night. 10 years about I would not think anything about it but I’m getting too old for that crap.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
Check out my video below. It shows the differences between the seek outside tents and the snowtrekkers.

Imo snowtrekkers blow everything else out of the water for living and being mobile in the winter.

As for titanium stoves, buy a fourdog titanium. I have one and it will burn at least three hours, and keep coals for 4. Long, low heat output is what you want, and the stove needs to be airtight to do that. Burning all night actually saves energy, even in a properly rated bag. I set my alarm for 4 hrs, and shut the vent right down. At 20 below my tent will be hovering just above freezing, which is a perfect 4 hour temp. Take a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), load the stove and never leave the bag. Back to sleep. Plus fourdog stoves are bullet proof. Seek outside tips are great, and a lot lighter, but often sacrifice durability and have condensation issues. Unless you are talking the smallest packable (junk) ti stoves and lightweight two man tips carrying on your back is generally not feasible for long distances. With my setup on a uhmw toboggan you can live in comfort as long as you have food. And even move every day if you like.

I really like that tent. Biggest this is it’s easy to put up.
Posted By: Witrapperman

Re: 2-3 man hot tent - 12/12/21 11:16 AM

Ill second the seek outside recco. Theyre the tops when ot comes to ultralight hottents
© 2024 Trapperman Forums