Home

Pocket knives

Posted By: adam m

Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:59 AM

If you don't carry one why not?

Not sure why but I'm noticing more and more people (all ages) not carrying pocket knives. Got me wondering why.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:01 AM

I would have to walk out the door without my pants on to not be carrying my knife.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:05 AM

I feel necked if i dont have at least one. I feel weard when around a male that dose not have a knife on him. Like there is something wrong with him. Kind of like being around a gay man its just off and creepy.

I carry a 3"-4" knife kinfe on my keys and a multi tool. Plus the glock.

Heck even the wife has a key chain knif and k bar in the vehical. And a 380 on her and 12g with 00 buck in the vehical.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:17 AM

I can't leave home without a cutting device of some sort. That and reading glasses. Can't cut what ya can't see.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:22 AM

Folks that know me know not to ask to borrow. I'm liable to empty my pockets and give multiple choices.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:24 AM

Always carry one, just have to be careful to remember to take it out for some of the businesses and institutions I have to frequent for my job.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:25 AM

If my pants are on, I have my case folder.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Always carry one, just have to be careful to remember to take it out for some of the businesses and institutions I have to frequent for my job.

Put behind your belt buckel or in your steel toe boot.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:28 AM

I use a folding razor knife , can't live without it
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:30 AM

I used to carry one,but try to get on a plane or cruise ship with one.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Put behind your belt buckel or in your steel toe boot.

Haha…prisons, jails, courthouses, etc make you pull belts, shoes, etc and a full body scan. Not worth my job, lol!!
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:33 AM

I always have one but carry cheap ones as I tend to lose them fairly often.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:33 AM

Been asked a lot if I carry a pocket knife. I always respond by asking them if deer die on the road?

Chris
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
I used to carry one,but try to get on a plane or cruise ship with one.

I've "donated" a few knifes to TSA.

They are allowed in your checked bags though.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:41 AM

Been carrying a knife since I was 10 years old I reckon.
When I was a kid guys carried knives to school , Nuttin was ever said abt it.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:43 AM

Put behind your belt buckel or in your steel toe boot.[/quote]
Haha…prisons, jails, courthouses, etc make you pull belts, shoes, etc and a full body scan. Not worth my job, lol!![/quote]

I don't go into prisons, or jails, our court house just walk through the detector then wand you. When they see the belt and have you pull up your pant legs and dont see a ankle hoster or visiable boot knife they wave you through.

I onky go the the court house to pay taxes or get a permit for somethin like new septic.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:58 AM

Old Timer “ Improved Muskrat ) USA made ..always in pocket
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 04:20 AM

Always 2, a small fixed blade and a assisted opening pocket knife with the pocket clip (ZT). I use a knife at work quite a bit, one handed operation is convenient to me.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 04:24 AM

I feel naked without one too.

I've always carried one even in school (until schools banned them and guns).
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by adam m

Not sure why but I'm noticing more and more people (all ages) not carrying pocket knives. Got me wondering why.

door check , wallet , knife , keys , phone , gun , flashlight

it just feels wrong to not have a knife

got one of my co-workers to start carrying a knife several years ago , he quickly realized when he didn't have ti how he would struggle with some stupid little package or something to get it open vs when he had his knife it was zip zip done.

I carried a knife in school also

I find myself not necessarily carrying a pocket knife but a fixed blade belt knife a fair amount
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 04:36 AM

Like a lot here I'm old enough to have went to school with one or two guns in my vehicle to go hunting with my buddies after school.... always carried a pocket knife during school, wasn't a issue then.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 05:18 AM

I usually carry a Case trapper or small Gerber folder lock blade in my weak hand pocket for utility stuff then a Benchmade folder in strong hand pocket
sometimes I will have my Benchmade sheath knife on my belt too. of course I have one of my Glocks with me too.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 05:37 AM

Always carry one and NOT in the habit to loan one out.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 06:04 AM

Adam, just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it's not there. Just like a side arm. This is a new world we are living in. I just came home from dinner out, A few people at the table were surprised when I unhooked my belt and revieald a buck 501 slim line in a horizontal sheath to open the top of a beer can to see a plastic ball in it,(the beer can) supposed to make it have a foaming head. They were out of my beer, Killions Irish Red, A chaser for Glenlevit 12 yr. .With friends in a local place, a belly gun a micro. 9 in back pocket in Unckel Mikes Pocket Sock. Look at every thing, look at the man. Then think ------does he have a kinfe? gun? Great blackened catfish by the way. I can have a stake every day if I want, the heck with my that. What's the final Bears score?
Posted By: Mortz

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 06:09 AM

Fun to watch someone trying to open a box with their pen or their keys I offer my pocket knife and they just kind of look at you. Same with carrying a lighter or a book of matches. Some times you need a little fire for something. You ask some kid if the have a lighter or match on them and the usual response is “I don’t smoke” and I tell them you were never a scout, were you.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 07:07 AM

My EDC knife , a Spyderco police model , 3 7/8" blade , over 25yo.
[Linked Image]
It's mini-me cousin made by Spyderco too , 3/4" blade , very sharp , on a silver necklace , EDC.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:26 AM

I have never liked a saw blade knife. Got my first pocket knife when I was 6. Grampa gave it to me. After a couple pretty good finger slices I learned how not to slice a finger.

I dont get on planes, and never had a desire to go on a cruise. When they started violating peoples right to be free of unreasonable search just to get on a plane I decided to quit flying. Been driving around this country of ours for forty years to make a living anyway.

Kids took me to an air show at the Topeka Air National Guard base right after 9/11. No pocket knives. They had people emptying their pockets. I would have left but kids were all happy they had brought me. They let me leave my pen in my shirt pocket and when we got in they were selling corn dogs on a bamboo skewer about a foot long. I dont want to participate in such ignorance.

These days I carry a buck stockman. Well made. Inexpensive. Holds an edge. Small enough for a pocket and big enough to be useful.

I leave my pistol in my vehicle sometimes but never my pocket knife. Except at that air show it has never been a problem.

I used to be a fan of case mini trappers till they changed the steel they use. This new steel is awful. I suspect there are new people running case now. Yuppies that didnt grow up in a world where every boy and every man and a lot of women carried a pocket knife
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:41 AM

Have never carried one in my pocket
Have knives everywhere else glove box, tackle box, center console in car, junk drawer, benches etc...
Never have much of anything in my pockets besides my wallet in my back pocket
While hunting my knife is in my 4 wheeler, while trapping in my bucket, and fishing in the tackle box,while sleeping there is one in the nightstand.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 11:11 AM

ALWAYS have a knife on me. Something else that is going by the wayside is wristwatches. I always wear a watch. Most people now days use their phone instead of a watch.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 12:16 PM

Can't remember a time I didn't have my USA Old Timer in my pocket.

I also have a couple USA ones in the drawer in case I lose or break mine.

WS
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 12:36 PM

I Never leave home without one. Yes I have donated a few to the TSA when I forget, but most of the time I remember to toss it in my checked baggage before going on a plane.

I don't use the knife every day, but I do almost every day.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by K-zoo
ALWAYS have a knife on me. Something else that is going by the wayside is wristwatches. I always wear a watch. Most people now days use their phone instead of a watch.

I read something the other day that said more than 90% of college students today have never owned a watch.
Posted By: Garryowen

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 12:54 PM

I always carry a knife and a multitool. If I have too I take them out and leave them in the car when going somepace I souldn't have them. But as soon as I get back to the car I load up again. Always carry a lighter too.

Garryowen
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 12:57 PM

2 knives and sog multi tool. Always. Even my girls carry knives

Rule #9

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:10 PM

Most college kids cant tell time. I have showed my watch to more than one young man at the end of a work day to get a signature for me and the truck showing hours. They ask for the time and I show them my watch. Guys my age need about a half second to see what time it is. Young guys get a blank look on their face.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:13 PM

I always have a Kershaw auto clipped in my front pocket.

I always wear a watch too.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:13 PM

This Old Timer was my Dad's, at his passing it came to me. It's with me every day and so is my Dad...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:15 PM

When people ask to borrow my knife, as I’m handing it over I always say:
“My uncle Jim always said a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one............ so be careful, that’s dull.”
Lol

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:20 PM

When someone asks to borrow mine I ask what for. Its not a screwdriver, or a prying tool, or a scrape off dried on grease tool. I often say no. My knife is always sharp. Pelting sharp. Sharper than those box cutter disposable blades that seem popular now.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:23 PM

Always carry one

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 01:56 PM

Case, i say I don't see it because often times I'm the only one with one. See people struggling to use other methods to open something so I use my knife and they are shocked I have one. It doesn't matter gender or age.
I was at a white elephant party this weekend with probably 12+ couples of all age ranges. I was the only one with a pocket knife.

Don't get me wrong I see plenty of people carrying pocket knives but just seems it's more commonplace for people to not carry a knife.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
I can't leave home without a cutting device of some sort. That and reading glasses. Can't cut what ya can't see.

This is Me^^^ but two knives
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:04 PM

I carry a Spyderco and a small Swiss army knife and a SOG multi tool .
I always had a pocket knife in school also it was used to cut jerky more than anything else at school , twine or boxes afterwards it's darn near un American to not carry one ha ha
Posted By: 653

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:10 PM

carry a 2" Buck since I can remember. for self defense i think i"d have to stick someone in the neck and walk around them < im a little under gunned

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:25 PM

Case, i say I don't see it because often times I'm the only one with one. See people struggling to use other methods to open something so I use my knife and they are shocked I have one. It doesn't matter gender or age.
I was at a white elephant party this weekend with probably 12+ couples of all age ranges. I was the only one with a pocket knife.

when at gatherings like that , people often family just look to me , Pete you got a knife? " Am I wearing pants?" now if my son is closer to their side of the room they might ask him also.

my dad and brother carry knives some , it is quite likely mine is sharper.

some times my wife asks "you wearing pants?" so I hand her the knife she has one in her purse , lunch bag , car and sewing bag she has even gotten where she stops just laying claim to one of my knives she likes and has bought a few now
she bought one a couple months ago and this weekend she said I really like my new knife but , it just isn't big enough. so she got her SOG folder out that she had thought was too big and put that in her bag.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I always have one but carry cheap ones as I tend to lose them fairly often.

I've actually had good luck from the $5 Ozark Trail folders at Wally World.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:01 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 03:27 PM

a little bigger folder

this is my son's a Boker Automatic Kalashnikov XXL that button circled in red is the go switch and the lock push and blade deploys , push and hold and you can fold it closed again
[Linked Image]

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 04:49 PM

KB64, I liked my ozark until i lost it.
My edc is a ss CRKT. I love it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 05:13 PM

I have had a few buck lites , and they have changed the name a bunch of times , max lite , they have simplified it now to the buck 110 slim basically a 110 blade on a light weight slim handle with a deep pocket clip I swear they make one for every major store that is a slight bit different

just because I often carry a fixed blade the handiness of a slim light but useful 3 3/4 inch blade isn't lost on my

carrying one in orange right now that I got for Fathers day the orange is kinda handy when you set it down

also important to learn not to set them down unless they are covered in blood and would be a mess to fold up and put away

no one likes that feeling of reaching down for their knife and it isn't there
Posted By: charles

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 05:18 PM

Ever notice that when you lose a pocket knife, you also lose the next one quickly. I typically order two or three at a time.

I keep mine razor sharp.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 05:20 PM

always since first grade, all thru high school, college.
Now a Camilus, NY. number 23
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 06:39 PM

I never leave home without keys, wallet, and knife. And usually a phone. I carry cheap Walmart knives. I lose them too often, and I'm rough on them. They cost like $5,so I'm not afraid to use it as a scraper, screwdriver, wire cutter, etc.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 08:15 PM

Except for Basic training and Jury Duty, I've been carrying a knife Man and Boy, since I was in the first grade and was in the Cub Scouts! Some 65 years. Never leave home without it.
And lately, my pistol too!

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I never leave home without keys, wallet, and knife. And usually a phone. I carry cheap Walmart knives. I lose them too often, and I'm rough on them. They cost like $5,so I'm not afraid to use it as a scraper, screwdriver, wire cutter, etc.

I dont spend more than $65 on my knife most of the time but bought a letherman wave after breaking 2 knifs in a short amount of time. Turnes out i use it way more than i dreamed i would. I still like a close to 4" knife also.

I just lost my leatherman after 3 years. Figured it would turn up but its been a few weeks now.time to go shopping.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:22 PM

[Linked Image]

This is whats in my pocket
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose

Same here. I end up using them for things I'd never do with a good knife.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:54 PM

My daughter borrowed a knife one time of off me when she made a trip through a couple states.... I was so proud. I wish I had all the knives back that I lost over the years.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 09:55 PM

[Linked Image]
These are the ones I carry. And yes, that one has a gut hook! You never know when you are going to need one! grin

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
My daughter borrowed a knife one time of off me when she made a trip through a couple states.... I was so proud. I wish I had all the knives back that I lost over the years.

my daughter got her first when she was 8 , she didn't carry it much

this year when she moved to college in the city , we were at the store getting some stuff I tossed a Milwaukee knife in the cart with a few other things to finish out her apartment tool kit. I was buying.

she said what's that I said it is a tool , she said I can't have weapons on campus , I said well in 2016 all knives were made tools in WI unless used otherwise but now you have a tool company knife to be even more convincing for the snow flakes, she does carry it and the 300 lumen flashlight.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 10:27 PM

Way to go GREENCOUNTYPETE, did same when buying daughter toolbox, battery op drill, box fur pins, various hand tools.

Re: Pocket knives - 12/13/21 11:14 PM

GCP that's awesome.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums