Home

Deer heart update

Posted By: Mad Scientist

Deer heart update - 12/14/21 11:17 AM

How y’all fix em. Was thinking about cutting into 1/2 steaks and marinating.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 11:23 AM

Cut thin ,bread and fry in olive oil. I make heart sanwiches on a hard roll.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 11:41 AM

I used to throw them in the scrapple pot along with livers, rib cages, etc. Then I sliced up a fresh one, fried it in butter and shared it with my granddaughter. Now she makes me save them all for her.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 11:59 AM

I never fixed it myself. Did bring more than a couple to my mother in-law. She did them in sweet & sour for me. I really don't know her recipe or the process. But it was kinda like pickled in jell. The lady at the farm where I worked while in high school. Used to have me bring her a smaller carp when I was shooting or spearing them. She made the carp in very similar what she called sweet & Sour.
Both the heart and carp were ok that way. But not something I could eat a lot of in one setting. More like appetizers ate on crackers. I haven't seen anyone makes that type Sweet & Sour since them two old country gals been gone.
My wife may have the recipe if it's in her mom's old cook book. I have to ask.

Mac
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 12:16 PM

Fried in butter with onions
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 12:20 PM

Simmer whole on medium heat for a few hours. Then slice and fry in butter
And onion. It will be much more tender and some fat will render out that way too.

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 12:44 PM

It’s sliced and marinating.I cleaned the coagulated blood from it but left fat on- very little fat and will be having heart and eggs Thursday morning.
Posted By: Howell Bros

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 12:46 PM

Cut and fry with onions. I prefer to cut in smaller pieces to cook faster. I always bring salt pork to deer camp to add for flavor or and fat.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 12:55 PM

Sliced about 1/2” thick. Salt, pepper, flour, fried in bacon grease, in a cast iron skillet. Had it last night with french fries. Very good!
Posted By: walleyehunter01

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 01:01 PM

Never had it fried. Always pickle my hearts. Next one I will have to try it fried
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 01:04 PM

We grind it with the scrap , makes one extra pound of burger.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 01:04 PM

Clean out old blood and cut out valves
Slice and fried in cast iron with a little homemade Concord wine and salt and pepper
Only cook to med rare
Posted By: tightlinebob

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 01:05 PM

I grind them up with the burger.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 01:09 PM

walleye how do you pickle it?

i have always broke the heart down flat cut out the ventricals and what not and when i get done it is one peace of heart flat and then fried in butter on cast iron pan. i season with aldi steak seasoning and cook med rare more towards the rare side. kids and i love it but the wife is not a fan. but its all in her head.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 02:01 PM

I tried it a few years ago after reading how good it was on here. I cleaned it up, cut the valves out of it, sliced it up, fried it and it was horrible. The hearts stay with the gutpile again and the coyotes eat it all.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 02:02 PM

they are kinda chewy

cube them small and toss in flower , fry in a little grease then make the hole mess into gravy and put over biscuits
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Deer heart - 12/14/21 02:12 PM

cut into small slices, add to the top of the bait in a dirthole.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 12:32 AM

I like deer heart.Main thing is,,cut it in half then you can cut out all the grizzle and arteries.Clean it up nice,,then its good either fried up like said above,,or pickled like I do most of mine.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 12:55 AM

Soak in milk overnight

Cut thin slabs , egg and flour with some Montreal seasoning

Flash fry in a pan of hot oil

Dang good right there ......now I'm hungry !
Posted By: Average Joe

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 01:22 AM

Better yet - soak in buttermilk

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I like deer heart.Main thing is,,cut it in half then you can cut out all the grizzle and arteries.Clean it up nice,,then its good either fried up like said above,,or pickled like I do most of mine.

Like upstate said....clean the heart of grizzle and other stuff. I use meat shears to trim fat and other stuff off the heart.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 01:56 AM

Its an acquired taste, you either like or not. I like it rolled in flour and fried. Rosemary goes surprisingly good sith it as well. And although I like my steak cold in the center rare, I don’t like any pink what so ever in a piece of heart. It just doesn’t taste good to me. Though I think heart overall isn’t great tasting, its the texture that I like.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 01:57 AM

I simmer them with beef broth until they are tender, dice and add to cornbread dressing like giblets or oysters or diced chicken or turkey.
Posted By: jrogersredsox

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 02:05 AM

Cut in half and clean up nicely. Cut in ½" strips, season with Montreal steak seasoning. Cook on the grill in extra virgin olive oil. I use an aluminum pan or make a pouch with foil. Cook about 10 minutes. My kids make me ask all my friends for their deer hearts. So good.
Posted By: chamookman

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 09:47 AM

Trimmed up nice, thin sliced. Cut into thin slices, season up with Your favorites and do a quick stir-fry. GREAT Tacos ! Bob
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 10:09 AM

I clean it up good , cut in to small chunks ,pan fry, and add a pack of hamburger helper stroganoff , try it is great this way
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 02:38 PM

Eat mine raw still beating if posable, give me power from great spirit, just funin. Eat it just about any way love heart.

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Eat mine raw still beating if posable, give me power from great spirit,

You Da Man !! smile
Posted By: Squash

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 03:43 PM

I pickle all of my deer hearts.

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 08:54 PM

can someone explain how they pickle their hearts

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Eat mine raw still beating if posable, give me power from great spirit, just funin. Eat it just about any way love heart.

Did that with caribou heart in northern Quebec with the Indians. Actually wasn't bad.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Deer heart - 12/15/21 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by MuddyMike

Boil heart, slice thin pieces place in mason jar with vinegar and pickling spices. Let sit in the refrigerator for a few days. Then get a beer, some crackers and cheese and enjoy.

Re: Deer heart - 12/16/21 08:52 PM

thanks squash i appreciate it
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Deer heart - 12/16/21 09:05 PM

Coyotes gotta eat too.

Re: Deer heart - 12/16/21 09:41 PM

thanks squash i appreciate it

I put mine in the jars with same vinegar and pickling spices,,but then I pressure can them like you would any other meat.This makes them very tender,,and also you don't need to keep them in the fridge till you open them.

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Coyotes gotta eat too.

OK so I’ve eaten heart and eggs the last 4 days.Let’s just say it’s not my thing.Maybe next time I’ll bacon wrap or grind and then again maybe I’ll leave with gut pile.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Coyotes gotta eat too.

OK so I’ve eaten heart and eggs the last 4 days.Let’s just say it’s not my thing.Maybe next time I’ll bacon wrap or grind and then again maybe I’ll leave with gut pile.

Every things better with bacon!
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 01:43 PM

Try putting it in a pressure cooker With some liquidike beef broth.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 03:45 PM

Well, I'll give you Moe's recipe for "braised deer heart". I have it printed off up at the camp, but I know it pretty well.

What you need is a good clean heart, rinse it out good. Then you peel it, almost like an onion. Cut out all of the grissle, all of the tough stuff. You'll end up with about a pound of dark muscle. Need a sharp knife, cut it into cubes, the size of a marble or so.

In your skillet, fry up a red and green bell pepper, in oil. Part of an onion if you'd like. When the pepper and onion is soft, dump in the heart meat. Cook it hight heat and fast, then pour in a cup of red wine, and let it simmer. You'll end up with like a broth, and serve it over noodles.

You'll need to do the noodles in a separate pot, and drain them and all, but it is very good. If it's done right, you'll have a chunk of meat in every fork full.

I mean serve it over a pound bag of noodles. It's not bad, and easier to do than it was to type the recipe. I really don't like rice, but I guess that would work too. Never tried it over fried taters, that sounds even better.

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by redsnow
Well, I'll give you Moe's recipe for "braised deer heart". I have it printed off up at the camp, but I know it pretty well.

What you need is a good clean heart, rinse it out good. Then you peel it, almost like an onion. Cut out all of the grissle, all of the tough stuff. You'll end up with about a pound of dark muscle. Need a sharp knife, cut it into cubes, the size of a marble or so.

In your skillet, fry up a red and green bell pepper, in oil. Part of an onion if you'd like. When the pepper and onion is soft, dump in the heart meat. Cook it hight heat and fast, then pour in a cup of red wine, and let it simmer. You'll end up with like a broth, and serve it over noodles.

You'll need to do the noodles in a separate pot, and drain them and all, but it is very good. If it's done right, you'll have a chunk of meat in every fork full.

I mean serve it over a pound bag of noodles. It's not bad, and easier to do than it was to type the recipe. I really don't like rice, but I guess that would work too. Never tried it over fried taters, that sounds even better.

Sounds like a good duck recipe also!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 04:53 PM

Back in my much younger days - about 5 years old my grandfather and I enjoyed Scrapple, Souse, and Head Cheese. Grandpa died and later when I learned the ingredients I decided to go with better cuts of meat.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 05:07 PM

I put the heart right along with the liver and the rest of the organs.
Shoot a bigger deer and get an extra pound of meat.
Posted By: corky

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 05:12 PM

I just had one for lunch. Pressure cooked for 20 minutes with onions. Good sandwich but a little chewy. Could have gone another 15 minutes.
Posted By: Stewie

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 05:15 PM

Slow cooker until done slice it up and put a little yellow mustard on it. Also very good hot or cold in a sandwich. My daughter and I will fight over it.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 05:47 PM

pressure cook for an hour slice and eat.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Deer heart - 12/19/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
pressure cook for an hour slice and eat.

That’s the way I do tongue. Skin peels off and slice up thin. Very good with any kind of mustard on a cracker or just stuff in mouth! lol
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Deer heart - 12/20/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Squash

Boil heart, slice thin pieces place in mason jar with vinegar and pickling spices. Let sit in the refrigerator for a few days. Then get a beer, some crackers and cheese and enjoy.

This is how my grandmother used to do it. If i shot a deer, the first thing she would say is "did you save me the heart"..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums