Home

Buying a safe

Posted By: rex123

Buying a safe - 12/15/21 02:04 AM

Does anyone have an idea on what type of small safe is best? Looking to store some papers and a coin collection.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 02:13 AM

I use a section of my gun safe. Smaller a safe is the less heat it can take. Doubt will find a small safe with as good a heat rate as a gun safe.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 02:20 AM

Most of the local online auction sites sell used safes and gun safes for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new safe. You can usually get a huge gun safe, that originally sold for over $3500.00 for around $100.00.

Keith
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 03:50 AM

I have a terrific one that I'm looking to sell. Too bad Ky is so far from Iowa!
Posted By: bass10

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Most of the local online auction sites sell used safes and gun safes for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new safe. You can usually get a huge gun safe, that originally sold for over $3500.00 for around $100.00.

Keith

Keith, what sites are those?
Would love to get one for $100
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 06:20 PM

Keith

Wish I knew a place like that

Buy twice as big (at least) as you think you need, they fill up super fast
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 11:36 PM

I keep my important papers in a small, tackle box size fire proof box, in a drawer of a fireproof filing cabinet in the basement.
Posted By: JEckman

Re: Buying a safe - 12/15/21 11:48 PM

Switched the other day...

Took all my guns out of the safe and all my ammo in it ..

Re: Buying a safe - 12/16/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by bass10

Keith

Keith, what sites are those?
Would love to get one for $100

My favorite is:

https://auctionohio.com/

which mostly has auctions in my area.

https://ohio.hibid.com/auctions/firearms---weapons/

Is a good auction for guns and knives.

There's more than 40 other online auction sites in Ohio. Most of the auctions are very poorly advertised and many items sell for next to nothing. Every major city has several auction sites covering it and the surrounding area. It's how most estates are dissolved now. You can buy amazing tools for pennies. Large, heavy and expensive to move items often go for next to nothing.

Most of the buyers resell, either through their shops or at flea markets.

Keith

Re: Buying a safe - 12/16/21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by BTLowry

Keith

Wish I knew a place like that

Buy twice as big (at least) as you think you need, they fill up super fast

If you search "east Texas online estate auctions" a lot of sites should come up. Many of the websites advertise on Craigslist and Facebook.

Keith
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Buying a safe - 12/16/21 01:25 AM

Check out floor safes, can pour concrete around them. If you have existing concrete floor/ garage you can cut out some cement an put some rebar dows in an add safe then pour cement around it. Can find them at a decent price..an remember heat rises
© 2024 Trapperman Forums