Home

Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be

Posted By: Catch22

Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/15/21 11:45 PM

To build a wood/coal cookstove with a oven? I've been looking for one for quite a while with no luck. They are junk or they want a fortune. So if I guy had a welder and a plasma cutter, how hard would it be? And with steel prices, would it be worth it? Input appreciated!

Here's a pic off the web of something like I'm talking about...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/15/21 11:50 PM

My back hurts just looking at that.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:27 AM

Not very hard, price is going to be very high for something of quality, probably not really worth it.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:34 AM

We had a Pittston wood/coal stove in our farmhouse kitchen. You might be able to locate an old one.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:34 AM

With the price of steel it would not be good , How about a wood stove with a oven like this
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:35 AM

Will depend a lot on the skill level and difficulty required. Material is high now and sparse as well. Most manufacturers have it worked down close to where will cost you more if do it yourself especially if count your time.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:46 AM

If you had plans to build it it would be a lot easier to give an estimate, but the actual build would be easy enough for someone with decent welding skills. The cost of steel is still very high, #FJB. You may want to consider a brick oven, not cheap but cheaper and a DIY project.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:47 AM

catch I may know where there is one. I know it was offered to me at a fair price this summer. If interested let me know, I'll check and see if it is still available.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 12:50 AM

That would probably be more expensive to build than to buy as others have stated.and alot of those parts are cast
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 01:08 AM

Agree!
You can weld cast iron with the right rods, but the overall cost IMO would be sky high.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87
That would probably be more expensive to build than to buy as others have stated.and alot of those parts are cast

X2.
Plus you need the room and equipment to maneuver the stove.
Few months back 8x4 1/4" plate was just under $200 here and that was at the cheapest steel supplier here. I haven't priced steel since. You'll need at least 3 plates
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 01:37 AM

I don't know your insurance situation, but I was gonna build one for my house years ago...checked with my homeowners insurance, and it was no dice, unless it was uL listed.

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 01:43 AM

Another idea get 2 cast iron stoves and connect them together one side oven the other for fire.

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by mike mason
We had a Pittston wood/coal stove in our farmhouse kitchen. You might be able to locate an old one.

I have been looking but so far no luck. It seems the general consensus is it would be pretty expensive to build one now.
So, maybe repairing a old one might be a better option, I have seen some cheap that need work.

Rags, hmmmm, I'll be looking into that oven, thanks!

il. trapper, I would appreciate that!

adam, that idea is very interesting. I'll have that in my head for a while lol.....

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
If you had plans to build it it would be a lot easier to give an estimate, but the actual build would be easy enough for someone with decent welding skills. The cost of steel is still very high, #FJB. You may want to consider a brick oven, not cheap but cheaper and a DIY project.

Hi Jayme, brick oven? For indoors?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Hi Jayme, brick oven? For indoors?

Google it buddy. You'll see. wink

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 02:22 AM

grin Thanks pal... grin
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 03:47 AM

Those wood heaters, stoves are not hard to build, steel is high and mite not save you any money building vs buying.
But give it a go.

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 04:47 AM

Catch, it would be interesting to do.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 04:53 AM

I have seen two old cook stove on auctions in the last month. Both were in good useable shape. Both trimmed out in chrome. One sold for $25 and the other $165 I thought about bidding, but really have no where to put one. If I see another I will give you a shout. I want to build me a wood fired pizza oven for my fire ring.

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
I have seen to old cook stove on auctions in the last month. Both were in good useable shape. Both trimmed out in chrome. One sold for $25 and the other $165 I thought about bidding, but really have no where to put one. If I see another I will give you a shout. I want to build me a wood fired pizza oven for my fire ring.

Wow, I wish I had that here. Local, we never see them. Thanks!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 06:21 AM

Jeff, there's usually some of the Pittston and similar stoves on Ebay.

One for $200.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334177902457

One for $350.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353479702115

Both of those are pickup in PA.

At the local online auctions, nice wood stoves often sell at giveaway prices. I'll keep an eye out for you.

It probably won't work for you, but heres's a wood stove for $1.00.

https://auctionohio.com/lots/a4a8a8...ZWEtNTkwZi0xMWVjLThmMjYtMGI4ZGIzYTY2MmFk

I've seen a lot of wood stoves sell for under $10.00 on that site. It seems like nobody wants to move them.

Keith

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 03:33 PM

Thanks Keith, I appreciate it. I will be checking out that auction Ohio site.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 05:38 PM

what about and inline oven in the flu pipe?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
what about and inline oven in the flu pipe?

Some of the old cook stoves had a warmer oven up top that the flu pipe ran through to give it heat. I don't think they got real hot so, it was more of a warmer than a cook oven. This is the Monarch that was on the one auction. It has a warmer oven on it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
To build a wood/coal cookstove with a oven? I've been looking for one for quite a while with no luck. They are junk or they want a fortune. So if I guy had a welder and a plasma cutter, how hard would it be? And with steel prices, would it be worth it? Input appreciated!

Here's a pic off the web of something like I'm talking about...

[Linked Image]

I think you can make it! Like everyone said, the price of metal is high! But, when you make it, it will be exactly what you want and will be made heavy duty! It probably will out last you and all your kin will be fighting over it! Plus, it seems like everything you buy these days is junk! If you can find one in a garage sale or auction or something, that might be away to go , if its in good shape.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 05:59 PM

You're welcome Jeff.

The Auction Ohio site almost always has a few of those old lanterns you like. They usually sell really cheap, under $20.00.

Keith

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 06:08 PM

Thanks Gator Foot. I'm also thinking about finding a junk one I like and reverse engineering it. A lot of different ideas to sort through.

Keith, you know I loves me some old lanterns lol...

Re: Welders, fabricators, how hard would it be - 12/16/21 06:40 PM

[Linked Image]

I like this little bugger but no oven. I like the no frills, no fancy chrome, just a cooktop and oven.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums