Home

Weighted blanket

Posted By: AJE

Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:04 AM

Doesn't it sound comfortable after a cold night of checking traps or a long day in the deer stand? I've been thinking about buying a weighted blanket. I recently heard from a couple people that use them. Apparently they are very relaxing for people stressed out or looking to increase comfort. I guess it's becoming a popular winter time blanket for some people. They come in 40x60 Throws or larger blankets. Many are probably given as christmas gifts. I suppose a heated blanket would be preferred by some, but supposedly weighted blankets work well & don't require a chord.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:07 AM

I’ve never used one. My kids have them. They like them.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:10 AM

Bought my wife a 35# queen sized weighted blanket. Took 2 nights to get used to but she loves it now. Uses it all winter.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:21 AM

Weighted blankets are nice. I have one...the softest micro fleece on one side, Sherpa fleece on the other.

It is a lot as wrapping a newborn in snug feeling of safety. I have a King size.

They can be easily managed in making up the bed and slide easily on sheets.
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:24 AM

We have one. I like it laying in the recliner but couldn't get used to it on the bed.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:29 AM

My wife and sister love theirs.
Posted By: SwampDust

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:32 AM

My wife wouldn’t sleep without hers
So bad I had to buy 2
They run like 70$ but she swears she gets way better sleep
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:36 AM

Never heard of a weighted blanket. What are they weighted with?
Posted By: SwampDust

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:36 AM

Like thin bean bags - like ankle weights and such
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:38 AM

I tried covering up my wife, and laying on her...I got up when she quit breathing, she said she had a headache when she woke up!

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset

Some have glass beads I think. Many seem to weigh in at the 12-20 lb range. They can't be machine washed but some seem to make or buy an oversized pillowcase like product to put them in.

I think Walmart has some of these blankets for less than $40. I just began my research this week.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset

The good ones are weighted in sections, squares , with tiny glass beads. Others can use other things, I don't know a lot about that, but mine has the sectioned glass beads....very small . Weight distribution is well made for comfort .
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:03 AM

My wife loves hers. I'm a superstar for getting her one. I tried laying under it and felt like I was suffocating.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:09 AM

My wife made one for our daughter-in-law. She even takes it camping with her.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:22 AM

Fur bedspreads, just the right amount of weight, always warm and never over heat. Oh and supports the fur market.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Fur bedspreads, just the right amount of weight, always warm and never over heat. Oh and supports the fur market.

I have a beaver blanket for my bed and this is one thing i did not foresee when making, but is quite a benefit
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
My wife loves hers. I'm a superstar for getting her one. I tried laying under it and felt like I was suffocating.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think I'd feel trapped. I need to be able to move around. I'm imagining my arms pinned at my side. For absolutely no reason at all, I feel the need to be ready to fight - not that I've ever woke up needing to fight.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:35 AM

I bought my wife a 60x40 20#er for Christmas last year. That thing is heavier than I thought it would be but it is comforting. She likes it and I like it too for lounging or taking a nap.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:50 AM

wife made one that is very heavy but has no weights in it made it twin bed size it is flannel inside 2 layers of batting and denim for the top

it is all put together in 12 inch panels then the panels are sewn together and clipped to frey it is all old pants for fun leave a few pockets
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I tried covering up my wife, and laying on her...I got up when she quit breathing, she said she had a headache when she woke up!

If I were you, I'd be afraid to go to sleep around that little lady from now on. You just might not wake up the next time you go to sleep.
grin
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 04:17 AM

My wife and I use a down comforter on a California king bed , year round . If feels un-weighted . Not sure I could handle whatever a weighted blanket would be
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 05:19 AM

I like rhe weigbtted blanket more in the summer. Dont mind the room being cold, but i hate feeling the cold air moving. Do need to be careful with how heavy they are and dont let young kids use them.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 05:25 AM

Pain in the butt to wash and put back together. I liked mine at first but its not so great anymore.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 09:13 AM

I bought the woman one for Christmas several years ago. She has fibromyalgia and finds it very comforting, I can't sleep with it. Boy did I score some points with that gift. It was the heaviest one I could find, can't remember the weight. Kinda pricey, was well over $100.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 09:44 AM

We couldn't stand ours. Made us feel like we were suffocating. Got it as a gift. Gave it to a friend and he said he couldn't sleep with it on but his daughter liked it.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 09:55 AM

the wife and daughter bought them, they use for a little while but do not , anymore :(, lots of money,
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 11:21 AM

My wife insisted that she needed one, so I bought her the one she wanted for Christmas a couple years ago. She hated it and tried to sell it for 10 dollars (it cost significantly more than that) but no serious buyers to be found even at that price. The stupid thing is still around here somewhere.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 12:00 PM

I have a leather on one side and paneled velvet on the other. I love it. It's a little cold when you first put it on, then my body warms it up. Sometimes if the temp goes up outside and I have it off I have to take it off me because it gets too warm.

There is definitely a getting used to it period. Especially if you only sleep covered with a sheet or light bedspread. It also depends on how you sleep. I found that if I sleep on my back or stomach I don't like it as much as I do if I sleep on my side and more curled up.

My wife one friend has a weighted afghan. She covered me up with it one time when we were visiting. I was a sleep in about 2 minutes. It didn't seem to heat up as bad as others I've used, even though it is heavier than my leather one.

They are difficult to get out from under in a hurry.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 12:44 PM

My grandma made a quilt for me years ago out of old blue jeans. It weighs a ton and I love sleeping under it. Never heard of a weighted blanket. Interesting
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Originally Posted by CoonsBane

Exactly what I was thinking. I think I'd feel trapped. I need to be able to move around. I'm imagining my arms pinned at my side. For absolutely no reason at all, I feel the need to be ready to fight - not that I've ever woke up needing to fight.

My wife wakes up ready to fight. In fact, come to think of it, she goes to sleep ready to fight. And during the day...
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/16/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
My grandma made a quilt for me years ago out of old blue jeans. It weighs a ton and I love sleeping under it. Never heard of a weighted blanket. Interesting

Quilts are the original weighted blankets. We use weighted blankets for highly traumatized children as a means to comfort them at bedtime.

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 04:44 AM

I plan on getting 1, but I haven't made it to Wal-Mart yet to look them over. All the online charts say I should get a 17 pounder, but I tested a relatives 12 pounder & it seemed heavy enough.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 05:08 AM

My wife wakes up ready to fight. In fact, come to think of it, she goes to sleep ready to fight. And during the day... [/quote]

I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one!
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 10:33 AM

I have one that I tried but don't like. I mostly sleep on my back and I didn't like all that extra weight pushing down on my toes/feet.
Posted By: ack

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 10:55 AM

Wife has one.
I sprained an ankle try to get in. Not for me.
Posted By: keets

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 12:24 PM

my wife bought one last year...I felt like I was going to die under it.....she quit using it a while back
Posted By: keets

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 12:24 PM

my wife bought one last year...I felt like I was going to die under it.....she quit using it a while back
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Weighted blanket - 12/18/21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton
Originally Posted by Pawnee

Quilts are the original weighted blankets. We use weighted blankets for highly traumatized children as a means to comfort them at bedtime.

I never heard of weighted blankets before this thread either.

My wife and I sleep under handmade quilts. I agree, they are the original weighted blanket. Maybe fur blankets prior to them?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums