Home

Got called bad names tonight.

Posted By: SGT. C

Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 09:06 AM

How rude are some folks. I asked the question about armed security in hospitals. I'll fill ya in a little. I sometimes moonlight at one area hospital for extra cash. So, tonight had an O.D come in. She was were put on hold papers. That means they can't leave until the Doc says so.
I get called back to the ER because the boyfriend (way he was back there i couldn't tell, not my call) had taken out his girlfriends I.V and was attempting to leave with her. So, I blocked her from leaving and that's when he said "you put your hands on her", I cut him short right then and explained she wasn't leaving, but he was. He bulked up and that's when I entered the Sarge zone. Telling him we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Hard way is. Your leaving with jewelry and your girlfriend stays and you will see her in a day or so. The easy way, you walk with me now. He choose the latter. Once outside he had a few choice words and universal sign language.
Later, I learned he is the leader of local gang. I'm sure I'll see him again. An hour later his girlfriend was discharged and cleared medically.

So, way do folks have to be so nasty? LOL. Sarge

Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 09:30 AM

Gangs and city life Sarge. You couple that with drugs..... I don't envy you your job or any law enforcement. Name calling must be almost a daily thing in those jobs and situations. Thick skin must be a priority. Being a gang banger I bet there is machoism also involved. This is probably the way that guy talks to everyone on a daily basis. Keep on, keeping on and try to let it slide off your back. Sounds like you handled yourself properly

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 09:47 AM

Yep, get called names, threaten to be sued, butt kicked, etc. Heard, seen just about everyway verbal abuse can be used. I take no offense to it. Thick skin you must have. Nothing personal.
I leave work, go home. Sleep like a baby. Wake up, do it all over again. But, I have this weekend off. Putting New flooring in kitchen for wife while she goes and visits grandchild in Alabama.She knows nothing about it, X-mas present. Maybe I can get a deer or two in the process and the bed all to myself.LOL Sarge
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 10:55 AM

Since when can a Dr prevent an adult from leaving a hospital ? Or a parent from leaving with their kid? Dr told me I couldnt leave about 20 years ago. I left anyway. Were not going to do anything till the next day. Surgeon was to busy. Dr appealed to wife but nobody tried to physically stop me. No way I was paying for a room I did not need. If L.E. put a hold on her leaving why were they not there to stop her?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 11:08 AM

I think a person can leave on their own Against Medical Advice but the boyfriend was probably the problem. Maybe if LEO brought her in they didn't want her to leave.

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 11:10 AM

Danny, I don't what your laws are Is. But, in S.C, a physician can put up a 72 hour hold on anyone including minors if they are a danger to themselves or others.
I don't make the laws, just enforce them. But once on papers, the patient will not be allowed to leave. Simple as that.
The law and policy will be enforced wither relatives like it not. Disregard to the laws come consequences. Sarge
Posted By: keets

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 11:34 AM

If I were a cop, I'd be suspended on day 1, faster than you can say police brutality. lol grin
Posted By: Oysterman

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 11:38 AM

I used to work inpatient psych and psych crisis call lines. All I gotta say is I went to the mat may hundreds of ti.es with truly psychotic individuals over a 4 year period. Crazy people don't have brains that work like people who can function well enough. The parts of their brains that control logic and emotion are jacked. Therefor, they can have issues having appropriate logical and emotional responses to situations which seem obvious to most other people. My team members in the psych hospital frequently asked, "what is his/her problem?" I would say, "they are patients in a psych hospital." OH. OK. That makes sense.

The birds of a feather tend to flock together. The woman was crazy for overdosing, the guy is probably just as crazy. It's not about you. It's about them and their problems. When the pandemic first started here in Jersey we had people acting like psych patients about mask wearing. I got called so many names and threatened so many times it really makes me not want to work retail again.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 12:57 PM

I kind of have some sympathy for the bf. Long ago I was the poor dude involved with a gal that was addicted to prescription pain killers. I was ignorant going into that deal thinking that since her doctor prescribed them for her that it was some medicine that she needed. Later on I discovered that he was just running a pill mill and got his medical license pulled.

So anyway, there was more than one occasion that she ran out and started going through withdraws. So, it would be like, drive me to the er. I'm like I don't think they will give you anything. YOU DON'T LOVE ME! Then on and on about how you don't even care anything about her so finally you break down and take her in. During the million questions part of the visit the nurse ask something like "so you are completely out of your medication and she said something stupid like "if i had any left I would just take them all" oh boy did that set them off. They sent three security guards to stand outside the room. I felt like they were there more for me than her and I hadn't done a dang thing. Finally some kind of mental doctor comes in and I talk to her and tell her she's not suicidal and that I would be keeping a watch on her. So they finally let us leave. Without helping her with her problem of course. Then all the way home I get it again. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR I TOLD YOU SO. I'M NOT PUTTING UP WITH THAT. I had never said anything like that that. There really wasn't a need to.

Then there was one other time I broke down and took her to an emergency room. Her big plan that time was to go to a different hospital than the one we went to before. So anyway they just stuck us in a room and ignored us. Finally I convinced her to just walk out. We did and no one said a word to us. Funny thing was she never got any kind of bill or statement from that one.

Every time I think back to those days I'm so glad that person is out of my life. Thanks for bringing up bad memories SGT!!!! mad
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Since when can a Dr prevent an adult from leaving a hospital ? Or a parent from leaving with their kid? Dr told me I couldnt leave about 20 years ago. I left anyway. Were not going to do anything till the next day. Surgeon was to busy. Dr appealed to wife but nobody tried to physically stop me. No way I was paying for a room I did not need. If L.E. put a hold on her leaving why were they not there to stop her?

In my experience the physician/medical staff cannot prevent an adult from leaving AMA. I am sure like stated above that there are circumstances and situations where they can.
However, if you leave AMA around here the insurance will not pay .01 toward your bill and it will be your responsibility. Some people don't care about their credit and I am sure never pay but some folks do and for them that is a big deterrent to leaving AMA

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 01:51 PM

Can you imagine the lawsuits if a Dr released a druggie and they walked out in front of traffic and got smashed? Alot of times a Dr can't win either way.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 01:54 PM

sticks and stones. Didnt your parents teach you that as a kid? They cant stop us from leaving e.r. here. Done it many times and the last was when my son was in ....wanted to hold him 6 hrs and we were there 4....we had animals and chores at home. Deputy was there and he told us bye.
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 01:58 PM

Danny,

LE does not put the hold on an individual, a doctor or judge does here in KY....
Posted By: nate

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 02:10 PM

That's part of the problem with this country, everything cut and dried, people need to think for themselves, some good cops/doctors etc., I've personally been stopped by the HP and even tho I was breaking the law he decided to let it go. So yes some people still think for themselves.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 02:18 PM

Well I hope you don't run into him or his associates again Sarge.

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 02:35 PM

Here in KS your not a prisoner for going to the E.R. If a Dr does not release you it protects the Dr from civil liability if you choose to leave and have more problems

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 02:50 PM

In states where you can be prevented from leaving, I wonder how often good insurance coverage is forced to stay and no insurance ignored?
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 03:21 PM

This wasn't just a run of the mill "I got a boo-boo er visit".

It sounds like the patient was put on a mental health hold. Once that happens and the mental health people have been called you aren't leaving the hospital freely. That's why security, or in hospitals without it, the cops are called to guard the patient.

They're not preventing a person from leaving who decides not to wait for a doctor to check their stuffy nose. They're preventing a patient who may be a harm to themselves or others from leaving. I'll guarantee you every state has rules regarding this.

And yes Danny you can be involuntarily committed in Kansas.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 03:23 PM

I don't know the why in your case but I believe that in the case mentioned medical professionals have the authority under what is commonly referred to as "The Baker Act". Basically legislation that authorizes a person to be held for medical/psychological evaluation if there is a reasonable belief that the person is currently a danger to themselves or others.

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 03:47 PM

Here in KS the mentally unstable are sent to the state hospital in Osawatomie or the one in Larned if your west of here. Police are called in till transportation is arranged.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 05:52 PM

My Daughter works in Security- Twin Cities Minn.
She says the Police bring in 2 to 20 Druggies per day .
The police cannot handle them or they are High on whatever and charges may or not be coming but the mentality deranged Unstable individuals are literally dropped off in ER.

The Doctors and nurses are routinely assaulted, Security is called

It's a revolving door... and High stress (they cannot carry either)

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 06:07 PM

Yup....my lady friend is a Gastro-Intestinal registered nurse and they deal with druggies and alcoholics every day. They come in wanting help, are belligerent, and will walk out against medical advice if things don't go their way or if they need a fix or a drink. Then they're back two days later and start all over again. Nobody is accountable for their actions anymore.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 06:19 PM

As a society, we have done worse than provide survivability to the least fit, we have actually rewarded them for being a POC their entire life. Then (and this is rich) they end up passing on their strong sense of entitlement to the hordes of children that we pay for and repeat.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 06:22 PM

It is basically biting the hand that feeds them but these people can be some nasty pieces of work
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 06:37 PM

I thought the hospitals were only taking money patients ( covid ) and turning everyone else away

So she lives to OD another day
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BTLowry

In my experience the physician/medical staff cannot prevent an adult from leaving AMA. I am sure like stated above that there are circumstances and situations where they can.
However, if you leave AMA around here the insurance will not pay .01 toward your bill and it will be your responsibility. Some people don't care about their credit and I am sure never pay but some folks do and for them that is a big deterrent to leaving AMA

AMA???
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:19 PM

I guess some one didnt like my post. O well carry on.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I guess some one didnt like my post. O well carry on.

That was me.

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:31 PM

To obvious yet controversial im guessing? Thought it was all truthfull. For the best probably would get to many people offended. Would just be 3 pages of nonsence tell the thread deleated. Pm me where i went wrong so i can avoid it in the future if you dont mind.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:35 PM

I just didn't think it was appropriate on that thread.

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I just didn't think it was appropriate on that thread.

10-4 boss man. Thanks for the responce. Good to know I didn't cross any lines.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

AMA???

Against Medical Advise
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Got called bad names tonight. - 12/17/21 09:42 PM

Try being a Corrections Officer. You get called every name in the book and then when you hand out tickets or send them to the hole, they just let them off the hook.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums