Home

Question for flooring guys

Posted By: oh trap

Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 12:01 PM

I am in the process of a complete rehab in my kitchen for a 1964 ranch house on a slab. The floor is covered with a peel an stick. tile and i am unable to get any kinda leeway in removing it

A long handled floor scrapper isnt working very well as the tile has become part of the cement slab now after almost 60 yrs of being walked on.

acetone doesn't seem to penetrate enough to loosen the glue. Short of trying an air hammer an chisel would anyone have a better idea?

Flooring is never an easy job.. just trying to figure a way to do it efficiently.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 12:11 PM

Hammer drill with a spade type bit. Heat from a propane torch works well with vct and might work for the peel and stick.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 01:58 PM

X2 on heat.

Had the same issue years back, I finally had enough and brought out the grinder. Linoleum didn't have a chance.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 02:52 PM

Disclaimer-I am not a flooring guy! May want to consider leaving it and put flooring over the top. Also, some flooring from that era contains a lot of asbestos so if you start grinding, etc. you may want to wear a good ventilator.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 03:21 PM

There is a flat blade just for that that goes in a sawzall. It works rather well.

https://www.amazon.com/sawzall-scraper-blade/s?k=sawzall+scraper+blade
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 03:29 PM

You could try heating it with a torch to loosen small areas at a time. On the other extreme, have had luck freezing with dry ice one tile at a time.
Posted By: white17

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Disclaimer-I am not a flooring guy! May want to consider leaving it and put flooring over the top. Also, some flooring from that era contains a lot of asbestos so if you start grinding, etc. you may want to wear a good ventilator.

Moosetrot

X2 Leave it in place and cover it with the new flooring
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

and just hope the new buyer does not find it when you sell.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 05:09 PM

Best to leave it like others are posting. If you are going to proceed with removing it, use a heat gun and take your time to heat up each tile and make sure to get rid of all the adhesive. It will be less of a headache to just lay new flooring over what you have now. Make sure to get rid of all dust and dirt before laying down new flooring.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 05:19 PM

You can pour warm soapy water over it and leave it sit over night.
I think you said concrete slab.
This will help.
Only other way is a chipping gun with a wide blade and go at it.
We do a lot of flooring removal and sometimes it isn't very fun.
Posted By: white17

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Originally Posted by white17

and just hope the new buyer does not find it when you sell.

Not a problem here. Legal to cover it even in schools. Same with lead based paint. Encapsulate it by covering with new sheet rock.

If you are selling, you just need to disclose it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 07:15 PM

I am not a flooring guy but when we pulled up a bunch of asbestos tile at work , a glue release agent was the way to go it ate right throught the wax and it was let set for a few hours the tile came up with a scraper with out breaking fro the most part and since the gel liquid kept the dust from happening it lessened the issues with the asbestos

the area was still sealed off and any one in there wore a respirator but it came up in a day

then after scraped clean to the bare of very near bare concrete underneath, moped and left to dry then new tile were laid

any time I go over flooring imperfections I regret it later that nail or screw that looked and felt flush is where the flooring wore first
maybe if your using a thicker flooring over it is better
Posted By: DBrooks

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 07:58 PM

I'm a retired floorcovering installer/contractor (25+yrs.). If your talking about VCT, vinyl composition tile, and it is say 30years old or more it probably has asbestos in it so do not sand or grind. If it is a small area you could try heating with a high temp flameless heat gun. Usually on concrete my experience has been that if you get 1 or 2 started you can go right along with an ice chisel, sharpened pry bar and just pop them up. If the adhesive is black this will add to your problems as it will potentially bleed through depending on what you use as the new floorcovering. If the old tile are well adhered it would probably be best to properly prep and go over them. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Question for flooring guys - 12/17/21 09:27 PM

It's easier and common to tile over it since it's on a slab.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums