Home

The Pacific mini-series

Posted By: midlander

The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 01:13 AM

Just finished watching it for the first time . I really enjoyed it, certainly renews all the respect for the service men that went through that. Its no wonder many of them never talked about it when they got back. Much respect for them.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 01:38 AM

Thanks will look it up and watch. Over the years I have worked with those that served then and your right, kept a lot to themselves!
Posted By: Darwin

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 01:56 AM

With the Old Breed, a book written by E.B. Sledge, one of the main characters in that series, is perhaps the best book I've ever read.
That series was excellent!
Posted By: midlander

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 02:04 AM

Ill have to find that book and read it....
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 02:47 AM

I watched that series a few weeks ago. I didn't like it as much as Band of Brothers but it was still worth watching.

I learned a bit too... They showed some battles that I had never heard much about.

Mike
Posted By: banchee

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 03:02 AM

its a great series for the marine corps and what they did in the pacific i really enjoyed it, its not up to snuff compared to band of brothers but its well worth watching banchee
Posted By: k snow

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 03:20 AM

I also enjoyed Band of Brothers a bit more, and I've finally figured it out. I think the Pacific series gets in to psychological aspect a lot deeper than band of brothers. That really got to me. Not sure I could watch it again, but glad I did watch it.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: The Pacific mini-series - 12/23/21 04:52 AM

I picked it up cheap at a thrift store about a year ago and my oldest kid watched it and Band of Brothers last winter. I'll go against the crowd and say I liked The Pacific more. Both series are haunting, mostly because almost all those guys who survived both the ETO and the Pacific are gone now. It still chokes me up thinking of all of them, maybe because that was my dad's generation. For those of us born less than 20, maybe 30 years after the war, World War II meant something, its aftermath was still shaping our world. Now for the younger generation, its just something that they might learn about in history class if they don't do some searching on their own.

Pray we pay attention to the veterans that came after WWII. Their wars were often are seen as less noble, less clear cut that the World War II struggle and yet they had to endure the brutality of war that only can be truly appreciated by its time and place. Its such a tragedy that we are losing so many vets to suicide. It just shows how messed up this country is right now. Truly sad...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums