Home

Green floural wire/squril snare?

Posted By: Providence Farm

Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 03:08 AM

I was just woundering if a single wire of the green stuf from the craft section will work well for squirls on a leaning pole? Thought ut would be good to show the kids and was going to try it but wanted to see if anyine had had bad luck with that thin wire holding?
Posted By: Clemke

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 03:13 AM

Why not just some conibears. I think they would work great. Otherwise You can braid or twist the wire if you are nervous. I have a roll of old staple wire that I use for crafts one in a while that may be really quality steel but I can bend it back and forth like 40 times and it won’t break. Heck I even fixed my belt with it and I wear it pretty much every day.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 03:14 AM

i think it is newt that sells just what your looking for in a kit.

the right wire to connect
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clemke
Why not just some conibears. I think they would work great. Otherwise You can braid or twist the wire if you are nervous. I have a roll of old staple wire that I use for crafts one in a while that may be really quality steel but I can bend it back and forth like 40 times and it won’t break. Heck I even fixed my belt with it and I wear it pretty much every day.

Thats an option. But i only have a few 110s.

Honestly is more of a survival skill to learn for them. Also that wire is under $2 for 270' ans availiable in every craft store. A small roll fits much easier in a pack than 12 110s and it can be used for more things in a camping or survival situation.

Put out 6 snairs with it about an hour ago. Its warm today so will be checking every 2 hrs or so.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 07:34 PM

Good deal. Do you have any pics of the wire or sets?
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 07:53 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 09:52 PM

If you’re doing snares, you want the pole horizontal. Squirrel less likely to jump over or duck under.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 09:55 PM

22ga brass rabbit snarewire.
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/24/21 11:45 PM

I used the same wire with terrible results, I really think that the trouble was that I was catching them in the middle and this gave them enough room to turn and bite the wire in two, I tried another thin wire and same results with wire chewd and broke in two. Also if caught in middle gave one squirrel enough room on leaning pole to get claws to pole and fought wire. I never did successfully catch one, but I lost five to wire being chewed thru, I used a narrow pole and had great success as far as them going thru snares, I am truly very discouraged with myself and can only hope they died quickly. Bob
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/25/21 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Outbackbob48
I used the same wire with terrible results, I really think that the trouble was that I was catching them in the middle and this gave them enough room to turn and bite the wire in two, I tried another thin wire and same results with wire chewd and broke in two. Also if caught in middle gave one squirrel enough room on leaning pole to get claws to pole and fought wire. I never did successfully catch one, but I lost five to wire being chewed thru, I used a narrow pole and had great success as far as them going thru snares, I am truly very discouraged with myself and can only hope they died quickly. Bob

Don’t beat yourself up over it and for Pete’s sake stop talking about it.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Green floural wire/squril snare? - 12/25/21 12:47 AM

Red Squirell Sanring

Might be light for a standard eastern grey squirrel, but cool info
© 2024 Trapperman Forums