Home

CJ’s first buck

Posted By: Wanna Be

CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 04:30 AM

Yesterday evening my oldest took his baby brother out trying to get him his first buck. They saw plenty of deer but as my oldest said, out of 25 seen…22 caught their wind. I was out at a different property moving stands and setting a few DP’s and had been sitting in the truck watching a green field waiting for a call. It was getting dark so I decided to head on to the house. As I was going through the gate I got a call. Brennan said CJ wants to talk to you. CJ got on the phone and said guess what I just did? I held my breath as I muttered, what??? He said, I just shot my first buck and he’s a biggun!!
Thank God no LEO’s were out because I made it to the other property in record time. On the way I asked Brennan if I needed to stop at the house and get a “good” light? He replied, don’t think so. I saw blood through the optics and he high kicked at the shot. He said it was right at last light and I believe he made a heart shot.
When I got there they had pulled down to the stand in his truck and we just used our phone lights to find where he was standing at impact and a steady walk following blood to a cypress swamp. The buck made it all of 50 yards total after a 100 yard shot. What’s even better than a first buck? Taking that first buck with your very own rifle he had just gotten for his 7th birthday.
My son had pics of this buck since it was in velvet. He called it “Roman” because of its humped nose. The velvet pics were over 1000yds away from where the deer was killed.
We’re getting a Euro mount on a little pedestal so CJ can put it in his room.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 05:53 AM

Heck yea! Nice buck!

What caliber did he shoot it with. My boy is six and Im going to have to be getting something he can shoot.
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 06:02 AM

Very cool. Good job young man!!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 06:02 AM

That is great!
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 06:36 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 06:50 AM

Too cool, you must be so proud. Ask him how he wants his first steak done. Con grats to all 3 of you.
Merry Christmas, going to be hard to top this one.
Case
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 06:59 AM

CJ, nice buck. A euro will be perfect. That's all I do to mine. Nice job young man. What rifle and cal. did you use? Sarge
Posted By: Remington700

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 08:34 AM

Congratulations on a nice buck and a memory you all will never forget.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 10:38 AM

that's great
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 11:39 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 12:14 PM

Way to go CJ!!!!
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 12:30 PM

Wow! What a great buck! That makes Christmas a little more exciting! Congratulations CJ! Congratulations Dad, for doing a great job with those boys.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
Heck yea! Nice buck!

What caliber did he shoot it with. My boy is six and Im going to have to be getting something he can shoot.

I bought him a Ruger American .243 and topped it with a Vortex Diamondback. The best thing to get a kid and some might think it’s cheating is a Bog DeathGrip. We’ve used it in ground blinds, tower stands, and even ladder stands. Dry fire practice lead to live fire practice lead to actually shooting deer. He’s 2 for 2 with both deer recovered less than 50 yards. He’s shooting 95gr SST’s and CoreLokts. That DeathGrip also takes away a little of the kick. He shot that deer at last light and said “fire came out the barrel” lol. Some may think a .243 is too small a cartridge, but shot placement rules. Practice, practice, practice. Every year it’s all the same, dry fire before live fire. Once they get the trigger pull down, its a dead deer every time.
Oh yeah, editing to add…Earmuffs!!! He has shot my .308 (same rifle different caliber) off the DeathGrip and never really knew the difference. As long as they don’t hear that BOOM they don’t really notice the kick.
Posted By: charles

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 02:00 PM

What a memory he will have for the rest of his life.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: CJ’s first buck - 12/25/21 03:52 PM

Great job!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums