Home

Pressure Washer

Posted By: SGT. C

Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 07:15 AM

for home use. Gas or electric for cleaning siding, decks, small equipment, walkways? Nothing too major.

Does anyone have any experience with electric pressure washers? if so, what are your opinions? Thanks, Sarge
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 10:28 AM

My wife got me one early summer, I wantted the electric as I will be using it right here at home. My idea is that with the electric, all you have to do is plug it in, while with the gas you have a gas motor to deal with, fuel oil and maintance to keep it running.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 11:12 AM

Electric unless you are washing remote.
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 11:27 AM

Unless you have a very good soap to loosen the algea you're going to want the extra power of gas. Anything less than 3,000lbs psi just doesn't do a good job. Most washers tend to come with 25' of hose these days, make sure you leave the store with at least 50'.
Posted By: keets

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 11:30 AM

3500-4000 psi for doing a good job
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 11:35 AM

I like the gas powered simply because I can easily use it anywhere.

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 12:23 PM

Also, its not so much the PSI as its the GPM. Running out of gas, sparkplugs , etc. is a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 12:28 PM

I think the psi ratings of a good bunch of the cheaper pressure washer is just pure hopes and dreams. Ive used 3k to 4k psi washers before. I bought my current stihl pressure washer that is only rated at like 2700psi and that thing is almost dangerous, it will score wood easily and took all the paint off my front porch where ive used several "more powerful machines" and they never even got close to doing that. Most every time ive cleaned the mold off the siding of the house i have had to use bleach and dawn in a sprayer to help break it down. The stihl washer will clean it just as well with or without the presoak.

But my mom has an electric one, if you are just gonna use it to wash off algae or dust it will be fine. Its not powerful for anything i would consider pressure washer work.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 12:58 PM

I have a 4000psi gas. Mi-T-M is the brand.
I have to be careful, but it cleans anything I need it to. With the oscillating tip, I can even remove a sidewalk.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
I like the gas powered simply because I can easily use it anywhere.

Anywhere the supply hose reaches.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 02:02 PM

I had a gas Westinghouse pressure washer and a round surface cleaner which made washing the patio, sidewalk, and driveway a breeze. It washed 15" at a time @ 3200 psi. I had used it maybe 3 times before it was stolen.

One thing I noticed with most newer pressure washers is the inlet and outlet lines are at 90° to the engine and you have to make sure the hose doesn't contact the engine or you bust a line.

Here's the surface cleaner

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 02:21 PM

I have both a gas and an electric. The gas is for tougher jobs and I really like using the electric on my sxs and atvs. Eric
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 03:18 PM

Gas here it gets the jobs done Honda engine starts every time my first gun hose did not last very long but I was able to replace it no biggie.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 03:23 PM

Gas! The oscillating tip is where it’s at. Washing traps a few years ago I took her across my toes…still wearing the scar.
Posted By: Kired

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 03:34 PM

My parents use an electric one on their back deck every year, it gets the job done fine for prepping it for Thompson’s sealer. It is certainly not as powerful or fast as a gas washer though. It really all boils down to what you are going to use it for.
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 03:47 PM

FYI, I had an electric pressure washer to clean deck, siding on house, ATVs and cars. It worked good for couple years. Eventually it wouldn't build pressure and the electrical started to act up. It looked brand new when I put it at the curb. I wouldn't buy another one of these things regardless of the brand.

Whenever I decide to buy another one I will spend my money on gas powered motor... Anything with Honda or Briggs & Stratton motor will last a long time.

Just my opnion.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 03:54 PM

I bought a electric one made by Stihl. Love that thing. it uses very little water and with under 10 gallons I can clean the tractor. We got an old underground concrete tank of 2000 gallos to drinking water clean in a couple of hours. I took a 70 gallon tank and a generator and washed all the green stuff of a friends camper on the far side of our property. Soap down and wash the engine of my truck before working on it. Cleaned the sludge of a customers boat. all those little jobs that would require a ton of elbow grease without this little thing are easy as can be.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 08:28 PM

I'm told buy pro house washers not to use a power washer on your house.
I have a electric one and It works good for what i use It for. And the best part It was FREE.

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 08:40 PM

They do make man sized electric power washers also.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

As a professional painter, I have power washed MANY houses. So I have to ask, why?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pressure Washer - 12/25/21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ditchdiver
Originally Posted by The Beav

As a professional painter, I have power washed MANY houses. So I have to ask, why?

Only thing I can see why not is because most people probably use the full psi nozzle and stay in one area too long.
I know my 3200 psi will destroy wood at full pressure. I accidently sprayed a patio vega post (timber post) and it stripped a layer off like it was nothing

I use the gentle - medium pressure nozzle on my house, then again it's stucoo and brick.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums