Home

Fur tanneries in Wisconsin

Posted By: Lance Squires

Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 03:42 PM

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Have any of you used any of the tanneries in Wisconsin. Just wondering about the pros and cons and where they're located.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 04:17 PM

If you can use speedee delivery you can save a lot of coin.Stay away from USA FOXX.

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 04:30 PM

I've used USA Foxx in the past and wasn't happy with them. Been using Moyles for several years now but the shipping kills you. I just wondered if anyone has used an in-State tannery.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 04:33 PM

Heard USA FOX was sold to someone else so cant vouch for them, original owners were thieves.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 05:10 PM

It isn’t in Wisconsin but Sleepy Creek is close by in Iowa. Shipping would be less than to Moyles, especially if you use spee dee.

Note - I’ve not had any tanning done at Sleepy Creek so can’t vouch for the quality. Others on here seem to be satisfied.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 05:17 PM

Wild things fur in Lafarge has sent some furs out for me I have been satisfied. I think they ship all their fur together so shipping is a non-issue but not sure who they use.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/25/21 05:56 PM

I shipped some furs to Sleepy Creek last year and was satisfied with the results. Mind you they are not as good as Moyles but then you get what you pay for. I have heard that SC has problems with smaller critters like muskrat and fox but I only sent in beaver, raccoon and coyote.
Posted By: Wiplumber

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 03:30 AM

Sleepy creek did pretty good on some beaver and muskrat I sent them last year. Used spee dee for best shipping rates. I saw this year sleepy creek raised their prices and moyles is now cheaper on most critters if your getting anything more than a single of any species tanned.

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 03:32 AM

There is a tannery in shiocton, wi called wolf river tannery that use to do good work for me, but as of last year they were only taking in taxidermy stuff.

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 03:32 AM

There is a tannery in shiocton, wi called wolf river tannery that use to do good work for me, but as of last year they were only taking in taxidermy stuff.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 03:39 AM

anybody try legacy leathers in Plymouth Wi?
I know they used to do fur on tanning but that was over a decade ago.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I shipped some furs to Sleepy Creek last year and was satisfied with the results. Mind you they are not as good as Moyles but then you get what you pay for. I have heard that SC has problems with smaller critters like muskrat and fox but I only sent in beaver, raccoon and coyote.

Yes my raccoon were ok from sleepy Creek but like stated not as well as moyles. The fox I sent them were not handled well and had to sell them for wall hangers.

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 03:54 PM

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll just stay with Moyles. They do a great job and I'll use Speedy to hopefully lessen my shipping costs.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 04:21 PM

Last time I checked, Speedy didn't deliver that far and if I wanted to use Moyles I needed to use FedEx.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Squires
Thanks for all your input. I think I'll just stay with Moyles. They do a great job and I'll use Speedy to hopefully lessen my shipping costs.

You could try to find someone local who is also shipping there to share shipping costs.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Heard USA FOX was sold to someone else so cant vouch for them, original owners were thieves.

Who ever owned USA foxx from 3-17 2020 to now is a liar and thief.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by Lance Squires

You could try to find someone local who is also shipping there to share shipping costs.

I’m not sure combining shipping would be a good idea. Could cause a lot of confusion in the Moyle receiving department. The money saved might not be worth it.
Posted By: mpb475

Re: Fur tanneries in Wisconsin - 12/26/21 11:05 PM

Yost Fur Dressing in Sturgeon Bay. Not the cheapest, but they do good work!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums