Home

Removal of snow on ur property question

Posted By: coonman220

Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:16 AM

I run my butt off today an snowblower broke down with heavy wet snow , 2 driveways an clear out sidewalk an driveway completly on one where go garage to truck but 2 ND long driveway to main house door, only clear drive to sidwalk or public part , no old truck it gone in 2 ND driveway as junk it, anyone know if legal not clear both ur driveways of snow asking as public part to street an sidewalk clear ? I see no reason to clear it other than a shovel width wide to main door which I never use it rarely anyone go
Posted By: warrior

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:18 AM

Legal? WT?

Y'all mean to tell me you can go to jail for not shoveling that white crap? That's insane.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:32 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the same in most towns/cities. The homeowner is responsible for the public sidewalk that's on their property. So if you have a city sidewalk that runs in front of your house or along side it you have to keep it clear.
I don't know of any town or city that makes you clean your driveway or private sidewalk. If you get mail delivered to your front door you'll need to keep the sidewalk cleared so the postal workers can get to the mailbox.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:39 AM

here you need to clear the side walk from edge to edge , and they could care less about your driveway on your side of the terris , easement , devils strip set back what ever you want to call the part you must maintain but do not own
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:53 AM

Get you a neighborhood kid to shovel it.

First flake falls here at the rental and I have a line of kids, same with the old house. I’ll send one or two your way. They never ask for money, but I always give them $20.

I usually am plowing snow for my side job, so am not home to do it myself and like to help the kids out.

Also, most towns don’t care about your driveway, just the public sidewalk. Check your local regulations.

I say it is good exercise and you can hide some snow beers and drink as you go!!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:56 AM

Ok, sidewalk only makes more sense. I've seen some of y'alls tiny towns and the average snow to be cleared is what a 3'x20' strip?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Ok, sidewalk only makes more sense. I've seen some of y'alls tiny towns and the average snow to be cleared is what a 3'x20' strip?

The town regulation is mostly for ADA accommodation so folks with mobility issues can make it through without walking in the street. Safety first and all. I always made sure to shovel anyone who can’t shovel their own sidewalk driveway and steps. Gotta look out for each other.

Yeah, depends on snow fall. Big difference between 2” and 2’… on that 3’x20’ strip, and wet snow sucks!

Good for snowball fights and snowman building though!!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 12:59 AM

Just wait till it melts away
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Legal? WT?

Y'all mean to tell me you can go to jail for not shoveling that white crap? That's insane.

Not jail, but some towns it's $100-200 fee each time the city does it. You have a certain amount of time to clear it. Same with lawn mowing.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 01:30 AM

Also a lot of towns have an ordinance that you must clear out around your mailbox if it is at the road edge for truck delivery. Also to clear fire hydrants.

Our town has one that if your mail is delivered to your door then you must clear your sidewalk to the house and any steps leading up the porch. They generally will give you 24 hours to clear it. You also can't throw it on the road.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 01:52 AM

Ya going leave it snow shut , I guess 1 shovel width wide to door but don't like do that, like keep it shut down an ppl out
Posted By: Boco

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 01:57 AM

People are slobs.If towns didnt have those rules there would be junked cars all over the place hay growing in the front yard hiding transmissions,and garbage. and an outhouse in the back yard.
Be great to lower the high price of homes nowadays if you look on the bright side of that.

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 01:57 AM

People are slobs.If towns didnt have those rules there would be junked cars all over the place hay growing in the front yard hiding transmissions,and garbage. and an outhouse in the back yard.
Be great to lower the high price of homes nowadays if you look on the bright side of that.
If you dont like shovelling snow just pack it down with your skidoo.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

And thats the sad part, lucky our neighbors maintain their house and yard well. Also increases the neighborhood value and who buys in that area.

Atleast shovel the public sidewalk single file width at minimum.... also shows you as a good neighbor.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 02:48 AM

I always figure if you don't like the way your neighbor's yard looks make him an offer he can't refuse.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 02:59 AM

City rules keeping the values up = higher taxes for the greedy city

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
I always figure if you don't like the way your neighbor's yard looks make him an offer he can't refuse.

In the old days you just burned them out.
Thats why traplines were registered too.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 08:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 09:22 AM

Here u go:

Attached picture Screenshot_20211229-042122.png
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 09:49 AM

What's this sidewalk thing, you speak of? What's wrong with an outhouse out back? City living trappers have it rough! If I can't clear with the plow truck or back blading, it's there till spring. Even plow a swipe for the wiener dogs to crap, it gets scraped clean every snowstorm.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 10:26 AM

OK, last sip coffee, gota get, what is a borough? Isn't that a rabbit house? And ya I do know what a sidewalk is we call it the path to the barn. And if a cop wants to blow me smoke about it he can dig his way back here and tell me about it. Got at least one tractor running this morning might make the wife a Road to Town if she wants to go, got 8-9 more days off.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 11:18 AM

One of the many reasons I live in the country; nobody tells me what to do with the snow on my property.

Also, nobody cares if there are junked cars all over the place, hay growing in the front yard hiding transmissions and garbage and an outhouse in the back yard.
Posted By: run

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 11:29 AM

I was thinking about recommending a skid loader or compact tractor. But I am scared the dealership is going to rip Dave off every time his skid loader breaks down.
Posted By: run

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Just wait till it melts away

In Iowa that's going to be the month of May unless Dave has salt.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 11:55 AM

My wife likes to shovel the drive. I go plow other places and when I get back, ours is done.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Removal of snow on ur property question - 12/29/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
My wife likes to shovel the drive. I go plow other places and when I get back, ours is done.

Nice Wifey
© 2024 Trapperman Forums