Home

Scots-Irish

Posted By: CaseXX

Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 07:07 PM

Just wondering if any others on here are of S-I decent, may seem strange with so many folks on here from along the Appalachian mountains, I read a recent post about genealogy and it got me thinking
Case
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 07:33 PM

AYE !!! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 08:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Aye , 'ere be me plaid representing me clan.

Show your colors , lads.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Show your colors , lads.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 08:52 PM

Mine (I have almost no Scottish ancestry though)
[Linked Image]

The Colonels, she doesn't have any Irish in her (well sometimes, lol).
[Linked Image]

Posted By: warrior

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 08:53 PM

Nay, pure highland Scot. Isle of Skye specifically. Most the the scotch/irish were lowlanders relocated to the Ulster plantations.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:04 PM

Pure Irish.
Mothers family in Mayo,fathers family in Laoise

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:06 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:10 PM

Aye

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Nay, pure highland Scot. Isle of Skye specifically. Most the the scotch/irish were lowlanders relocated to the Ulster plantations.

Warrior, some even came from England. Who do think started the fight with the kings church also known as the Church of England? And they started it there. Almost if not all Ulsters were Protestant. Good save by the way.
Me
Posted By: Jmack

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Several different coat of arms this is the Scottish one and then there is an Irish. My great great grandfather always said scott/Irish .
Posted By: Actor

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:14 PM

Aye.......

[Linked Image]

Garry-

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Actor
Aye.......

[Linked Image]

Garry-

Thank you Sir, your post is the one that got me to post this question, but being a newbie I just didn't want to argue anymore, your post pushed me over the hump.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jmack
[Linked Image]
Several different coat of arms this is the Scottish one and then there is an Irish. My great great grandfather always said scott/Irish .

Scott, Scotts, Scotch, the different waves of immigrants used differing terms to identify or differentiate themselves from others. Thanks.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:40 PM

Lol....i gotta laugh , plaids are like the O.G. gang colors.

Modern day thugs in gangs think they are cool because they wear certain colors to represent their gang .

Plaids go back 1000 years or so. The battles clans had back then would make today's gang turf wars look like a complete joke.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector

Warrior, some even came from England. Who do think started the fight with the kings church also known as the Church of England? And they started it there. Almost if not all Ulsters were Protestant. Good save by the way.
Me

Yup, the Tudors took an opportunity to pretty much offload the trouble makers in the north of England and the border reivers in the lowlands and plant them in Ireland to try to tamp down the native irish.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:48 PM

The Scots, BTW, were also protestant. Calvinist Presbyterians not Church of England.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:49 PM

Mine stayed catholic for the longest as did much of the western isles.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 09:52 PM

Good German boy here

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 10:11 PM

Mine stayed catholic for the longest as did much of the western isles.

Same here, catechism and catechumens just don't eat the cookie.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 10:11 PM

[Linked Image]
/ [Linked Image]

Team Lithuania & Poland here

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Good German boy here

Promise not to hold it against you, thanks for playing. Welcome to the new world.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 10:35 PM

Both my parents were born in Germany!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/30/21 10:52 PM

Milligan.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 12:46 AM

Tis the Sillars name an ancient Scottish tribe the Picts

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:24 AM

Sir: With all due respect, I Don't know, do you believe it is? I only asked the question.
Thanks for the opportunity to answer, just don't know.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:29 AM

I'm of highlander linage, that and pigheaded German...
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:40 AM

Supposed to be like 20% Irish or Scott not sure which

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:44 AM

Works for me...............

Now let me see you shot a 1 hole group of four shots while wearing a kilt at 100 yards.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:00 AM

While riding a galloping horse........................................backwards!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Mcdowell is Scotch and Irish and refers to someone of Danish ancestry living in Scotland and Ireland. You're part Viking, Wolfdog91.

Ireland was settled in 4 waves. Modern Irish and Scottish people are mostly out the Milesians and the Vikings. The first populations of Ireland and Scotland were absorbed by the later conquerors. The Milesians from Spain, led by Heremon and Heber settled Ireland first and then shortly thereafter Scotland and a little later parts of England. They were Celts from Spain. The Milesian men in Scotland were given Tuatha De Danann wives by the Milesians in Ireland. Milesius himself never set foot in Ireland. Scotland is named for Scota, Milesius's wife, who was the daughter of one of the Egyptian Pharaohs.

I have lots of Scotch and Irish genetics, most, but not all is from the Vikings, though my pedigree goes back to Milesius and beyond.

Keith
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:27 AM

Tangled web of scots-Irish here. Mostly from Ayrshire(SW Scotland), all seemingly from the wrong side of the tracks.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:36 AM

Ireland is Gaelic-the gaels are a cultural branch of the celts,with their own language(gaelic) The gaels spread to scotland from Ireland.Scots and irish are like cousins.
The norse settlements around the coast of Ireland were absorbed into irish culture.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Mcdowell is Scotch and Irish and refers to someone of Danish ancestry living in Scotland and Ireland. You're part Viking, Wolfdog91.

Ireland was settled in 4 waves. Modern Irish and Scottish people are mostly out the Milesians and the Vikings. The first populations of Ireland and Scotland were absorbed by the later conquerors. The Milesians from Spain, led by Heremon and Heber settled Ireland first and then shortly thereafter Scotland and a little later parts of England. They were Celts from Spain. The Milesian men in Scotland were given Tuatha De Danann wives by the Milesians in Ireland. Milesius himself never set foot in Ireland. Scotland is named for Scota, Milesius's wife, who was the daughter of one of the Egyptian Pharaohs.

I have lots of Scotch and Irish genetics, most, but not all is from the Vikings, though my pedigree goes back to Milesius and beyond.

Keith

Would love to see that pedigree. T.W.N.A.O. T-man, your only talking about approx. 800 years.my people were there 400 yrs ago. Guess I'll have to Google it myself. Thanks for the history.

And look now, your in North America. You guys get around.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:01 AM

Keith

.....so should I change my YouTube channel name to the black viking ? grin hay that would be a cool movie premise laugh

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:07 AM

Would love to see that pedigree. T.W.N.A.O. T-man, your only talking about approx. 800 years.my people were there 400 yrs ago. Guess I'll have to Google it myself. Thanks for the history.

John O'Hart traced the pedigrees of the major Irish families.

https://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/title.php

You may be able to trace your family back far enough on www.familysearch.org to link into his work.

Some of O'Hart's recorded pedigrees go all the way to Adam & Eve. Mine does. I suspect that some of the older parts of the pedigrees are questionable, though they are based on the bible and other well respected works.

Keith

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:13 AM

OK, works for me. Thanks

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:16 AM

Keith

.....so should I change my YouTube channel name to the black viking ? grin hay that would be a cool movie premise laugh

Why not. You have as much right to claim your true Viking heritage as anyone else of true Viking heritage. It is part of what makes you, you.

Keith

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Ireland is Gaelic-the gaels are a cultural branch of the celts,with their own language(gaelic) The gaels spread to scotland from Ireland.Scots and irish are like cousins.
The norse settlements around the coast of Ireland were absorbed into irish culture.

Most folks would be shocked to know the full history of the Celts and just how far they ranged through Europe.

Interesting tibit, you know the book of the Bible Galatians? The root of Galatians is the same root as Gael. The galations were a celtic tribe in Eastern Anatolia, modern day Turkey.

BTW, my own clan MacLeod is one of the Norse clans of the western isles. Our patrinimic progenitor Leoid was a norseman and Leoid is a transliteration of the Norse name Ljotr. Ljotr means ugly (as in fierce) so I am literally David son of ugly.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:37 AM

According to my last name, probably Scottish. But no records of my last name exist anywhere. So it was seriously misspelled at some point... Or we were such criminals that the nobility did their best to erase our ever having existed.

I'm joking. Sort of.

The explanation I have been given is pretty murky and convoluted and involves "borrowed" names and such.

A DNA test might yield some clues but I'm not overly concerned with pursuing it.

Mike
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:00 AM

McCaffey Clan. Today it is pronounced Cathey.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:06 AM

Little known fact of Scottish surnames. Not all members of a named clan are necessarily blood kin. The romantic notion is that the clan is one big blood kin family with the chieftanship passing through the eldest son with the rest making up the clan. Truth is many of the others right down to the lowest crofter shared the surname only as families who at one point came under the protection of or sworn fealty to the local strongman. And then there are Septs or families of differing surnames but included in a clan for the same reasons. This is why some surnames can belong to multiple clans.

In my own clan the current chief is actually a Gordon. When Dame Flora MacLeod passed without a male heir the chieftanship passed to her grandson through her daughter who was married to the Chief of Clan Gordon. Chief John would change his name from Gordon to MacLeod. His son Hugh is now chief.

Another tidbit. Chief Hugh was challenged in his claim but it was dismissed. To this day any chief can be challenged or even long extinct chieftanships can be resurrected if the genealogy can be proven.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:15 AM

All, I had no idea how far this question would go, quite frankly it exceeds my wildest hopes, as anyone knows you don't ask a question you don't know the answer to. I do know most Americans don't have a clue about what the S-I have done for our republic and it's form of government, let alone know themselves, who they are and/or where they come from. I am well aware and have made an extensive search into my family's history. Most don't know we declared our freedom from the kings before the colonies did, they don't know we don't need the second amendment to tell us we have the right to bear arms, they have absolutely no idea how far we as a culture have come. So they can't know how far we can fall, they have no idea that their are no born aristocracy. They have forgotten that freemen don't work for wages, freemen work for themselves making what life they can by the sweat of their brow, hand and mind. The king doesn't own the land I do. The king doesn't own me or my mind I do. Some, maybe most don't agree with me but I've read things in this post that give me hope. Rant done.
Case
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:30 AM

Scotch Irish on my mothers side, and German on my fathers side.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:34 AM

Worked myself up into a lather their. Sorry bout that. I'm cooling down now.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:46 AM

John O'Hart traced the pedigrees of the major Irish families.

https://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/title.php

You may be able to trace your family back far enough on www.familysearch.org to link into his work.

Some of O'Hart's recorded pedigrees go all the way to Adam & Eve. Mine does. I suspect that some of the older parts of the pedigrees are questionable, though they are based on the bible and other well respected works.

Keith

Yes Keith... i have those line to Adam and eve... those line were created by the Royal familes just to show their superior race. I show a lot of royal blood through British Isle and Europe... but can't find where any of them left me any money.

I just told the gal that I found her father after all these years and she was completely beside herself. I don't charge people to do their family, but she insisted on paying my dies for another year of Ancestry. I tried talking her out of it, but wouldn't accept no for an answer.

If I can help anyone with getting started PM me and I will see what I can do. I believe it is now about 58 years I have been doing it. I have only 2 lines in my family left to break through brick walls and I can die happy... but don't really ever expect it will happen... and one of them is my McLaughlin line... the crazy Irishmen didn't leave much of a trail. He was one of the last of my ancestors to come to this country and that is around 1803... I just shy of 54,000 names joined in my database and could have 1/2 that many moore if I would fill in all of my familes kids.

Good night all.

Garry-

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 05:00 AM

All, I had no idea how far this question would go, quite frankly it exceeds my wildest hopes, as anyone knows you don't ask a question you don't know the answer to. I do know most Americans don't have a clue about what the S-I have done for our republic and it's form of government, let alone know themselves, who they are and/or where they come from. I am well aware and have made an extensive search into my family's history. Most don't know we declared our freedom from the kings before the colonies did, they don't know we don't need the second amendment to tell us we have the right to bear arms, they have absolutely no idea how far we as a culture have come. So they can't know how far we can fall, they have no idea that their are no born aristocracy. They have forgotten that freemen don't work for wages, freemen work for themselves making what life they can by the sweat of their brow, hand and mind. The king doesn't own the land I do. The king doesn't own me or my mind I do. Some, maybe most don't agree with me but I've read things in this post that give me hope. Rant done.
Case

The Scots and Scotch/Irish are a hard headed lot and American owes much of her existence to that determination. Much of the opening of the west, and not the west on the other side of the big ditch either but the west on the other side of the Appalachians was due to those hard heads refusing to settle down and accept a role as a lower class to the long established tidewater planter class. It was long established Crown policy that the mountains were a border with English to the east and Indians to the west and further expansion was restricted. They kind of set the tone that America would eventually reach the pacific.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 05:38 AM

Thank God someone besides me reads real history, thanks Warrior. They don’t know we were the first line of defense against west coming east enemies. They had to protect that old money built up on the coast. We were fodder to them. And the first ones to go west, that would be Ohio, Ind. Ill. Ken. and south to the Carolina s. The people watching John Wayne movies think that was the west, that’s the real joke. Anything past the original 13 was the real west.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 05:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 09:27 AM

Yes Scots, Irish as well as German, Spanish, French and American Indian, and my kids are also Asian as well

Guess my family is just what my dad always referred to as Heinz 57 American mutt
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 10:04 AM

Not me, but I admire your heritage and plan to visit Scotland.
I like your colors too.
The skirts are wonderful, but better on a beautiful red haired lass!

What do you folks think about Hollywood remaking the classic movie “The Quiet Man”? John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara, and Victor MacLaughlin made the movie great! The new version will star the Witch who married Prince Harry. Can’t you picture her as an Irish lassie? Insulting!

My earliest verified and documented ancestor arrived at Philadelphia in 1717 from Switzerland. Some of his descendants followed, but detoured through Germany about 20-30 years later. My family history was researched and documented in a formal Genealogy written in hardback book published in 1933. 300 copies were printed. My grandfather is listed in the book.

Best wishes!
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 12:51 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
CRAWFORD CLAN. I have a large book on my ancestry of my father’s side clear back to Scotland. Awesome book!
Posted By: bandy

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:31 PM

[Linked Image]
The Bandy family

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
[Linked Image]
The Bandy family

Did you know that under Scottish laws arms as in armorial bearing are property and can only be borne by their rightful owner? Usually the chief or an individual that has been granted arms by Lord Lyon of Lyons Court. Clan members have no rights to bear or display arms not belonging to them. They may display or bear a clan badge that may or may not have a portion of the chiefs arms, usually the crest and/or motto.

Individual arms usually are not heritable. But if they are and they have fallen vacant any descendant in the direct line may pick them up if they can prove to be the rightful heir to Lyons Court.

Falsely bearing arms or assuming arms is a criminal offense in Scotland.

Somewhat the same without criminal penalty applies to the wearing of feathers, usually eagle, on the bonnet. Only chiefs (three) subchiefs (two) or armorial individuals (one) are to wear the feathers with some clans recognizing colonels of regiments or industry leaders as entitled to wear a single feather. The Crown wears four.

Much of this differs from English armorial law.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
According to my last name, probably Scottish. But no records of my last name exist anywhere. So it was seriously misspelled at some point... Or we were such criminals that the nobility did their best to erase our ever having existed.

I'm joking. Sort of.

The explanation I have been given is pretty murky and convoluted and involves "borrowed" names and such.

A DNA test might yield some clues but I'm not overly concerned with pursuing it.

Mike

Some of the Immigration Officers would spell the way they felt when the people came into the country, and most being illiterate would not know what went on their passport. Many Scot and Welsh were viewed with discus by the British agents going back to the resentment of boarder skirmishes of past.
Every wonder why a Scot can only carry a Skindo in his stocking ? and has to show the handle when in public.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:17 PM

That's good because as far as my research Bandy's origin is French. At one point the Bandy family name was the largest family registry in the world. My family is found in the third book of Bandy I think chapter 2 from where my family left Liverpool England to Virginia in 1742 and from then till now I am in Virginia. The last in the line of my family but not the line of my people the peacock is the symbol in purple and gold.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:19 PM

I didn't post that to bust anyone's chops. Most of us are Americans and can do whatever we want. The Canucks among us still have to kneel though. LOL

I'm just a history nerd.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:30 PM

For some reason, years ago , my family changed their name from Mac to Mc . Not sure why, maybe some sort of persecution.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
That's good because as far as my research Bandy's origin is French.

It might surprise many if they understood that many notable Scot, Irish and Welch clans and families are actually Norman French. William the Conqueror was quite shrewd in rewarding his warriors by scattering them out into the borders of his newly acquired kingdom.
Even the Scottish patriot Robert the Bruce was Norman and William Wallace most certainly was fluent in French as a Gaelic speaking Pict he most certainly was not.

And let's not forget the "Auld Alliance" between the Scottish and French crowns against England.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
For some reason, years ago , my family changed their name from Mac to Mc . Not sure why, maybe some sort of persecution.

Probably just simple ease of dropping a letter or phonetic spelling. My own McLeod was originally Mac.
Or more correctly MhicLeoid as the original Gaelic. Mac is a transliteration to the germanic english.

Interesting thing of Gaelic is that the language has genders. A female would speak her name as Nhic or Nic while a male would say his name as Mhic. The Scottish Nichols surname comes from the former usage.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:20 PM

And then there are multiple events such as the Daunting of the Isles by the Scottish crown against the MacDonald Lord of the Isles, clan Ranald. And the later Flight of the Earls from Ireland plus the second son issue of the second sons having to go abroad, usually military or mercenary, to make their fortune that seeded Scots and Irish all across the Continent of Europe.
Heck, some of Napolean's Marshalls were Irish.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 03:23 PM

Funny thing about the Flight of the Earls. Most of those "irish" earls were Normans fleeing the Tudors. What goes around comes around I guess.

BTW, earl in this case stems from the Norse jarl.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 04:49 PM

The most obvious "french" connection is the original roman name for region that would become France, gaul.

They were all celtic tribes from the celt homelands north of the Alps west to British Isles and east through Macedonia, the Balkans and Anatolia.

France as we know it today didn't get it's start until the Franks pushed aside the Celts during the Migration Period. Leading to Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire which would later split into the Frankish (romance speakers) and Allemanic (germanic speakers) which in turn gave us quite a bit of history in our own recent memory.

Re: Scots-Irish - 12/31/21 07:31 PM

Their is need for some study on the question of Heraldry here. I started the process two decades ago finished the design even commissioned the drawing, then life got in the way and I did not submit it for qualification. The whole process can take about 5 years, don't know if I have that much time left now. But even if completed only my immediate family would be able to wear it.

You can't just google your name and claim something that some con artist wants to sell you.
Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 05:38 PM

Looking at this idea of researching your heritage, as an outsider. I wonder how far do you go back before the waters get muddied so much, that any form of accuracy gets lost along the way. Obviously things are different for us, in this part of the world, where we see ourselves as Irish. The Scottish, see themselves as Scottish, etc, and so don't have the interest or want to know if there are any other blood in our heritage. If their was norse blood in our family lines, then I'm not norse . I'm Irish. The norse became Irish, and not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking anyone here. Just how we see things from here.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 06:48 PM

Pure Irish.

I think you misspelled Naise! Lol, just goofin
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 08:04 PM

Only 3% Irish DNA linked through my 7th Great Grandfather Col. Morgan Morgan founding Morgantown and his cabin is a historical landmark on Bunker Hill. His son and my 6th Great Grandfather was frontiersman David Morgan "The Great Indian Fighter who was Daniel Boones Cousin.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 08:11 PM

Last names McDowell and apparently I'm like 20 %on of thoses
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 08:28 PM

Heard last night they invented American cheese, nachos, egg rolls, Budweiser and pizza. God bless the Irish
Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 08:30 PM

Pure Irish.

Boco, I am living in the next county over from Laoise. Im about a twenty minute drive from the Laoise border.

Re: Scots-Irish - 03/18/22 09:15 PM

Eddie43, interesting to hear from a trapper in Ireland. Thanks for posting. Please do so more often.
Case.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums