Home

Prime vs un prime coyote

Posted By: saskbone

Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:11 AM

Two coyotes. One November 1st the other November 27th. Caught within 5 miles of each other. 3 weeks makes a big difference.
[Linked Image]

December coyotes

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:15 AM

Yeah that is a big diff...now looking for "neck rubbed" I have NO idea what that means (in the grand scheme of things)!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:19 AM

Not for sure on this but even if that left one was caught on the 27th, I think it would still look the same?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:27 AM

Do all of them get long guard hairs?
Here some of ours have I think flat fur genetics, the whole body has about the same length fur.
But then up north maybe the short fur ones die out fast

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 02:51 AM

I can do up a few more from early November and they will look the same. Those two in the first pic are in the bottom pic for comparison but the picture isn’t as close as it should be. Where I am the coyotes will all have long fur in December. There could be an exception but it’s very rare. Weather is - 30 to -37 at night right now they need that long fur. It’s kind of like the pics of the mangey ones, the ones that have no fur don’t make it through our cold weather. I still catch mangey ones but they have a few patches of fur missing or else the cold takes them.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 04:00 AM

Peak time in my country is nov.20th to dec.20th before the 20th nov. Will still get semi plus types, after dec 20th you start seeing barbs or hooks on the hair ends.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 05:38 AM

That's one reason, cold temps, and your coyote genetics are great
That is a big difference, some of ours never get longer
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 10:28 AM

I need one of those beauties!
Ours are flat, dirty colored, with short fur.
I see one nice one about every other year.
Posted By: shorthair

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 11:26 AM

thanks for taking the time for posting comparisons
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 12:48 PM

Nice looking coyotes. Thanks for sharing the pics. I agree, our recent ones look better than ones from early November.
Posted By: jk

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:06 PM

Dont forget there is individual differences within each and every species to. Some of us are tall and others are just fat, for example.......jk
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 01:23 PM

Here’s a better one.

I can’t remember the exact dates, but they were taken from the exact same set exactly 20 days apart (first week of November and last week of November). Judging by their size and color, I’d bet good money they were litter mates.

If you have a good pup population and start in October, you’re way to early.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 05:44 PM

Big mature males get heavy here those are the nicest one. Sometimes mature females. Young of year never seem to fill out, stay semi.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Here’s a better one.

I can’t remember the exact dates, but they were taken from the exact same set exactly 20 days apart (first week of November and last week of November). Judging by their size and color, I’d bet good money they were litter mates.

If you have a good pup population and start in October, you’re way to early.

[Linked Image]

Exactly right imo

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 05:51 PM

[Linked Image]
This was a ,,,what I would call a garment coyote .caught couple years ago .
Posted By: Osky

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
[Linked Image]

Beauty. I’d like to have a pair of those for a garment I’d like to have made. Haven’t seen many like that in the states, those I did see were up off the hi line in MT.

Osky
Posted By: white17

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 06:37 PM

[Linked Image]

I don't think I have ever seen a coyote like that. Looks beautiful from that picture
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 06:51 PM

Red has had some REALLY NICE coyote put up pictures over the years,those high line coyotes are something else.Can't remember the year the 80's I think there was a cover shot of a trapper from Garrison MT on The Voice of the Trapper back then NTA magazine that had the nicest salt/pepper coyotes I don't know if the trapper had got them around Garrison or if they came from the high line just had his name which I can not remember and said he was from Garrison MT.They looked like a half a dozen or more of Red's best that he has posted over the years.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:08 PM

Well those are not highline coyotes,,,gents those western Montana coyotes.
What I mean about a garment type anything is that you will notice the fur length is all the same.
Those type are inside of 1 to 1 1/2 weeks a year and this happens any where you get (true) heavy fur.
As far as hiline I do not venture up that way been to central Montana trapping . There just like western Montana pockets of good ones and bad those type and next type I'll show are 1to3 in a hundred imo.
Thank you for compliments much appreciated.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:15 PM

[Linked Image]
These are 6 out about 140 I believe it was.
Imo just like lot things in life you sort through any one thing to find a few good .
Then you try your darndest to to not to mess things up.
Happy New Years guys and gals

I would like to ADD one thing these all get washed imo makes them easier to flesh also. Get burrs out without pulling fur or breaking long guard hairs off and when you break hair or pull fur out any buyer worth his salt will Mark them as a SLIGHT.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:17 PM

Coyotes like that are still worth good money

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:24 PM

Super nice Ken !
Posted By: MJM

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:25 PM

Not all coyotes from the High line are anything to get excited about. It does produce as many good pale coyotes as anywhere. But as in Reds case there are pockets that for some reason the coyotes are better than the surrounding area. Just a few miles can make a big difference. Here is a picture of coyotes and red fox that came from the Fur sale in Malta MT. That is about as high line as it gets and although the coyotes were good over all, the one in Red's picture is a lot better coyote than most of them. Red is much closer to Garrison than what I would call the high line.
I had all those coyotes and fox stuffed in a pickup box with a cab height topper for the 200 mile ride back to the fur room. It was a good thing it was a eight foot box.
[Linked Image]

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 07:29 PM

I recognize that moustache !

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I recognize that moustache !

If I could only remember my name.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:02 PM

grin
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Big mature males get heavy here those are the nicest one. Sometimes mature females. Young of year never seem to fill out, stay semi.

Yeah, adults always seem heavier, but as they get older the color and texture goes downhill.

YOY are always the best colored/textured coyotes of the lot.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane

Yeah, adults always seem heavier, but as they get older the color and texture goes downhill.

YOY are always the best colored/textured coyotes of the lot.

I find that to be true often times of wolverines too.The YOY may have that fresh new endocrine system working at peak efficiency. Also they may still be carrying some of mom's hormones to kick start their hair growth that first year

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:19 PM

[Linked Image]

Red that’s a beauty. Amazes me how different the coyotes like that look compared to mine. They look like they were sheared to have perfect fur.

How’s your season going?

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:24 PM

Best coyotes here are 2 year old females. Or like Boone said yoy have great fur when they are eating good and caught late. My big old males are wire haired and have scars

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 08:37 PM

When I worked in the fur room in MT, Bob young showed me a even nap pale coyote like Reds, and told me he would take 1000 of them over any other coyote there was. I am sure at thy time he bought more good coyotes, than any buyer in the US. Most all the fur went to Europe then.

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 12/31/21 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by saskbone
[Linked Image]

Red that’s a beauty. Amazes me how different the coyotes like that look compared to mine. They look like they were sheared to have perfect fur.

How’s your season going?

Bad I do not k how what happened to the coyote population maybe for a number of reason there ain't much caught few but current gas prices not worth the price of admission lol it long run from the house sick
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 01/01/22 01:24 AM

[Linked Image]

Beauty for sure but to me that looks like it would grade as a Semi? Top lot?
Posted By: danvee

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 01/01/22 02:27 AM

I agree with Mt red the mid Nov. to mid Dec coyotes are best in the west prior to that they are flat after that the get beat up to much brush burrs and wear and tear also not as glossy. This year and last year they seem darker not sure if it is lack or snow or what but seem like a different dog. Those even nap coyotes were the ticket when they were making full length coats, That type of skin didnt add weight to a woman wearing the coat. Now for trim its all about long guard hair and underfur to hold it up.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 01/01/22 04:50 AM

One time at the NAFA warehouse I was checking out the racks of top lot western coyote.They were all fairly small pelts compared to the easterns,all were very pale and the guard hair on the grotzen was indistinct from the guardhair on the flanks
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Prime vs un prime coyote - 01/01/22 04:58 AM

Of 70,000 maybe 200 got into those racks.
On the grading table the best always got a right hook, the others got into their prospective piles.
Every break the top grader would always go through and make another decision
© 2024 Trapperman Forums