Home

Toy’s

Posted By: Gator Foot

Toy’s - 12/31/21 04:52 PM

[Linked Image]
These utv’s are very popular around here! I saw this one and asked if I could take a picture of it. That machine, probably costs more than my truck! Or they popular were y’all live? It is taller than that 1/2 ton.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 05:04 PM

Yes, I love my ATVs as well as my circle of friends do. Fun machines but also practical for trappers/hunters/ice fishing
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 05:17 PM

Never seen a tall one like that but we don't have the swamps like you do in Louisiana

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Never seen a tall one like that but we don't have the swamps like you do in Louisiana

We have mud parks here. They use them to play in the park. My 4 wheeler has regular 24” tires on it, with aggressive tread. The rims on that machine is 24” diameter.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 05:24 PM

The side by sides are getting real popular here. Frankly the wild is getting less wild with all the lazy people and there toys! Lots of going around gates and off trails. The E bikes are a problem, too. I can see some utility in them, and to each their own, but i prefer the quads god gave me.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 06:31 PM

A couple years ago they made it legal in my county to run the roads, all but federal highways. The ridership exploded and the back country businesses are doing great for it.
I am taken aback by the variety and expense of those I see.
I thought it would be bad with all the newcomers burning up all the backwoods trails and country. Nope, the opposite. Deep lost trails are more quiet than ever, these riders now wanna stay on the state trails and roads.

Osky
Posted By: run

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 10:21 PM

Not that tall, but I do see them going down the road. I see a trapper drive one around.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

Lol that one is really tame compared to the ones you'll see getting hauled around to trail rides
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 10:27 PM

I have a friend who bought a new Razr last spring. He borrowed over 20K to buy it. I reckon I will never understand the logic.?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I have a friend who bought a new Razr last spring. He borrowed over 20K to buy it. I reckon I will never understand the logic.?

x2

Very Popular here too. Right before Christmas a guy was driving one on Route 66 (illegal for street use here) and ran over a kid who died from injuries. Suspect still on the loose
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 11:19 PM

I just got back from 23 miles of coyote line in -5 degrees. Last year had a 4 wheeler this year enclosed cab side by side. Would have been a nightmare day without it.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Toy’s - 12/31/21 11:43 PM

See them here all the time.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 01:14 AM

I dont think youre allowed to live in the town I grew up in in nw iowa unless you have a polaris ranger. I often wondered if everyone just shelled out 20k for them or at least bought used. There, they are rarely used for off road.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 01:17 AM

Wonder how that would handle the snow?

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
I dont think youre allowed to live in the town I grew up in in nw iowa unless you have a polaris ranger. I often wondered if everyone just shelled out 20k for them or at least bought used. There, they are rarely used for off road.

Just made a deal with a good guy for a “19” 1000 with only 330 miles on it. North of 19k and that was a steal. A new one up here goes well into the 30’s depending on perks.
NV… they are just as poor in snow as my atv’s are.

Osky
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 02:11 AM

I see several being hauled on trailers around the weekend here. They are all headed to the mud parks late week and headed home Sunday afternoons.

Have seen a few that owners had $30K+ invested in

Not my thing but different strokes for different folks laugh
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 02:19 AM

Does it come with a snazzy stepladder so ya can get in the darn thing ??
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 02:20 AM

Never seen one that. Tall
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 04:59 PM

Where we live it is common to see ten or so go past our home in the country mostly sidebysides with windshields and doors. In the back some have coolers for water I am sure. Not sure where they are going or what purpose it is. I have a Polaris 450 with snow plow and have had it since 2005, cost 7k with the plow. I do haul it around for trapping if needed since my truck is new and I travel some tight places plus cow crap sometimes.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 05:08 PM

Hard to beat a utility SxS for trapping.

The ones made to play on like the Razors and the one pictured...not so much.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Toy’s - 01/01/22 05:31 PM

So many here in Louisiana, you would think that people have to have them here, but most people are just getting lazier IMO. Most of the swampy stuff, most that know it, will use air boats and smaller boats, but you will almost see these on every trailer during hunting season. My buddy who works at a Polaris plant told me they had record sales last year!
Posted By: run

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tofan
So many here in Louisiana, you would think that people have to have them here, but most people are just getting lazier IMO. Most of the swampy stuff, most that know it, will use air boats and smaller boats, but you will almost see these on every trailer during hunting season. My buddy who works at a Polaris plant told me they had record sales last year!

I thought Polaris was made in China? Good to hear that it's not true.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 08:39 AM

I bought my wife a Honda Pioneer 1000 Special Edition. It is all shaft drive so very tight and strong feeling. It came deluxe from the factory with roof, windshield, extra switch panel, LED lights, Warn winch, complete skid plates and A arm protection, Fox off road suspension system, Maxis radial tires, and more. It is a very high performance machine. Plus it is quiet and comfortable! Made in the USA. It was on order for about 9 months and cost about $24.

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Birdman382
Where we live it is common to see ten or so go past our home in the country mostly sidebysides with windshields and doors. In the back some have coolers for water I am sure. Not sure where they are going or what purpose it is. I have a Polaris 450 with snow plow and have had it since 2005, cost 7k with the plow. I do haul it around for trapping if needed since my truck is new and I travel some tight places plus cow crap sometimes.

Up here near the border the small back area motels are full with riders. I’ve spoken to groups like you mention out heck and gone from anywhere and they carry tents,food,water, the whole shebang and camp where they land. Those side by sides loaded with gear are very common.
The one group I came across was parked/jumped off at Moose lake. I spoke to them up out of Little Fork. That’s a good haul and back.

Osky
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 02:32 PM

Great outfits! Can’t say much about the operators that don’t respect a well groomed road .
Posted By: Savell

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 05:11 PM

... saw this one in town... no idea how much $ is tied up in that thing

[Linked Image]

Re: Toy’s - 01/02/22 05:17 PM

How I look at it. If you had one of those. You our going to find a place to try it out. And if you do, and it breaks down in a middle of a deep mud hole! You could be in a bind if you don’t have and buddies around.
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Toy’s - 01/04/22 04:00 PM

Never seen one similar to what is depicted in Gator Foot's post but we have a ton of them going through Town here both ATVs and side by side machines.

We have a decent trail system and about 1, 700 registered trail members not counting members from adjacent Clubs....we can also ride them on the roadway and trappers can ride them in trail system without having to pay trail pass as long as it is used for trapping purposes.

It is not uncommon to see a bunch of ATVs parked at local restaurants. I just started to shop around for a new Can Am two seater ATV and there is a 6 month waiting period after deposit...they are pricy.

I am also looking at side by 520 Honda Pioneer. Anyone using this for trapping?

Re: Toy’s - 01/04/22 08:47 PM

Best money I have ever spent. Just got in again from trap line. Cab with heater it was 2 degrees and blowing hard. I’d dispatch a coyote and remake the set my face and hands would be stinging and wow was it a life saver climb back in to some heat out of the wind. I would have pulled my sets by now it’s been brutal since first of December in my area but the coyotes are hungry!

Re: Toy’s - 01/04/22 09:45 PM

Yellowstone, are you using your Pioneer to also ride trails or just for trapping? 520, 700 or 1000?

If you are using in trails how would you rate it (1 to 10)? I am wondering about comfort, overall handling and performance.

Looking at doing some long distance riding, hunting and trapping.

Much appreciated.

Re: Toy’s - 01/05/22 02:35 AM

I have a 2021 can am defender hd10 which is the 1000cc not a Honda. In montana we have a 50” maximum width for forest service trails so I can’t ride it on those trails. I trap with it and use it to do a ton of things around my place. The seating is very comfortable but compared to just play machines they are rather upright. When I have the suspension set light it off roads with a lot of comfort. I had to go miles off-road today to get to traps getting around snow drifts and it’s amazing in rough country. Lots of power and very stable with the width of it. It is way way better in the snow than my quad. Must be the weight but I don’t leave deeper ruts in the mud like I thought I would. I used to dread winters like this checking traps on the quad pulling a trailer. I’ve pulled a flat bed trailer loaded with hay and hauled a big bull elk out of some high country. I’ve put 801 miles on it as of today and no complaints.

Re: Toy’s - 01/06/22 11:33 PM

Ok thanks.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Toy’s - 05/15/22 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
A couple years ago they made it legal in my county to run the roads, all but federal highways. The ridership exploded and the back country businesses are doing great for it.

Sounds kind of like the way Wi is headed. Next weekend there is even an atv parade
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Toy’s - 05/15/22 02:38 PM

I don’t care for anything like that mainly because I don’t want to put the money into it or keep fixing it when it breaks, lol. I prefer the “standard” UTV’s. My son just “lucked” up and found a Ranger that an older couple was selling for payoff. It’s a 2 full seat Ranger with roof, front and rear windshields, wench, 2 LED bars, and a 2019 model…for $8K. It’s mainly used to ride the baby around the neighborhood.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Toy’s - 05/15/22 09:07 PM

My Honda 700 pioneer came in friday, I put the down payment on it in Jan. They are installing a winch on it before I pick it up. I got tired of waiting so I also put a down payment on a Yamaha 700 side by side, they are saying it will be in by the end of the month. I went from nothing to too man. My first choice was the Honda but the the Yamaha was a close second. I will probably pick up the Yamaha when it gets here then sell it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums