Home

Awsome pawnshop find today

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 07:35 PM

Boys ! I finally found one !! Lil back story, me and the old man used to talk about getting almost this excact same gun for my first deer rifle back in the day all the time . H&R .223 bull barrel with the thumbhole stock. Well as y'all know they went outta business and the price for these things has shot though the roof. But me and dad agreed if we ever saw one for a decent price we'd snag it for .... reason grin well walked into the pawn shop today looking for some 30mm rings and saw ole bubba looking over something familiar looking . Listened in and hear ".223" and that distinct pop they make when you open em up. Man as soon as he put it down a walked over asked how much ,as soon as they say $350 I told em I want it on lay a way !
[Linked Image]
Y'all I called up the old man after I sent him a picture and he was happy as a clam grin talk about ending the new year with a BANG !
Posted By: run

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 07:36 PM

Beautiful.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 07:37 PM

Nice find!
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Boys ! I finally found one !! Lil back story, me and the old man used to talk about getting almost this excact same gun for my first deer rifle back in the day all the time . H&R .223 bull barrel with the thumbhole stock. Well as y'all know they went outta business and the price for these things has shot though the roof. But me and dad agreed if we ever saw one for a decent price we'd snag it for .... reason grin well walked into the pawn shop today looking for some 30mm rings and saw ole bubba looking over something familiar looking . Listened in and hear ".223" and that distinct pop they make when you open em up. Man as soon as he put it down a walked over asked how much ,as soon as they say $350 I told em I want it on lay a way !
[Linked Image]
Y'all I called up the old man after I sent him a picture and he was happy as a clam grin talk about ending the new year with a BANG !

Haven't got the new blue book yet, still in the mail, are you saying that All the HR handi rifles are worth 350 or just that model. I'm seeing a new toy in my future.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 08:01 PM

Isn't finding the gun you love , so fun ? Out with a bang, indeed ! cool
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 08:07 PM

Cool Wolfie can,t wait till next year when we here how it shoots got one in 45-70 shoots well enough to have me thinking about a boyds stockset
Posted By: SpellNC9

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:03 PM

Thats awesome!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:20 PM

good find , congrats to you and your dad

My son and I were at a gun show beginning of the month , we spotted a Ruger MKII looked almost un-shot , no box only one mag 225
it took me about 30 second to look it all over and say , yup we'll take it.
as I set it down to pull out my wallet a guy walked up and asked if he could see it , I said you can see it but it's already sold
MKII mags were all out online , we hit a local shop and he had 4 so we bought them all 5 seems to be the perfect number of mags , you load a box then shoot

on the way out of the show I think no less than 3 people commented on how difficult the MKII was to take down for cleaning , as long as people want to keep up that lie I will keep buying them for 225
Posted By: JBR

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:23 PM

We have one of those in 223 but no thumb hole stock
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:23 PM

Wolfie got a woodie. grin

Nice stock........lol

Cool find.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

on the way out of the show I think no less than 3 people commented on how difficult the MKII was to take down for cleaning , as long as people want to keep up that lie I will keep buying them for 225

[Linked Image]
They break down for cleaning easy. It is the reassembly that has a minor trick that if you don't know it , makes it difficult.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:36 PM

Great find. Nothing more reliable then a single shot. Make the first one count, though!

Chris
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:37 PM

Nice !! i had a h r 22 hornet manlicher... got stolen out of my brothers pickup years ago... i have never got it replaced...

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar

[Linked Image]
They break down for cleaning easy. It is the reassembly that has a minor trick that if you don't know it , makes it difficult.

i know and I know it
between mine and the ones I maintain for the club I get enough practice to have gotten proficient at it
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 09:55 PM

Surprised you got it for that price. Those H&R single shot rifles are in demand. I think you got a good deal.

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Surprised you got it for that price. Those H&R single shot rifles are in demand. I think you got a good deal.

This is a surprise to me. I keep up on the gun markets, been trying to find my way to acquire a S&W K-32 Master Piece to fill a collection, This may give me that way. Thanks all
Case
Posted By: Boco

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 11:21 PM

Thats a nice gun Wolfdog.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 12/31/21 11:26 PM

What Maintenanceguy said. Those are hard to find. I haven't seen one for as low as 350 for a awhile. Nice find.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 12:08 AM

Nice looking gun. The are a nice shooting gun.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 12:56 AM

I have the same rifle with regular stock. Can't wait to read what loads you shoot in it. I put a variety through mine to find performance I wanted, switching from predator to deer. I have taken 2 deer with mine.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 01:10 AM

Should jewed them down.
Missing a turret cover smile

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Should jewed them down.
Missing a turret cover smile

Is that cover missing? Or is that the logo?
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 01:39 AM

It seems like Ive always had a h&r withing reach. They shoot well enough and are very reliable. But, if your going to shoot it much go ahead and find a disconect (if thats the right word) they break sometimes.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 01:46 AM

Nice find.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 02:15 AM

Good Deal Wolfie

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wallace
It seems like Ive always had a h&r withing reach. They shoot well enough and are very reliable. But, if your going to shoot it much go ahead and find a disconect (if thats the right word) they break sometimes.

Got a few the hvy. Bbl. .223 has fired at least 2000 rnds. Factory ammo, others few hundred each. 45-70 2-3 hundred with my hand loads. Never had a problem with any of them. Hvy. Bbl. Tapered Bbl. both shot 1 in. 3 shot groups @ 100 yards. 45-70 2 in. @ 100 yards. 243 1 in. @ 200 yards. W/ factory ammo. 20 years ago when I still had eyes. All with cheap 3x9 Burris scopes from K-Mart. Weaver Rings.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 02:58 AM

They shoot good. I've got 6 of them. Some I've had for 25 years. They usually wind up as truck guns. Ive replaced two disconnects and one firing pin and spring. Mine get dirty and neglected but earn their keep. Its just a good idea to keep a few spare parts around

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 03:37 AM

Don't know if it counts as a Handy Rifle but along the exact same lines their is an SB-1 up there also, and again never had a lick of trouble. Corse you would have to be a masochist to shot that more than 5 rounds at a sitting. I probably only shot it 5 rounds in 2-3 yrs. after site in.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 03:55 AM

Yeeeah learned that the hard way. That transfer bar is such a pain . I'm just gonna gut it and replace the hammer with a rebounding one . Gets rid of 90% of the 'guts' leave you with a lighter trigger and the only real set back is you have a half (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) for a safety.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 03:58 AM

Very good find

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 11:25 AM

I found mine at a pawn shop also. Still in the original box. I figured when I got it the factory installed scope would be the first upgrade, but it shoots great with it and still wears it. At the bench, after 20 to 25 rounds the barrel seemed quite hot. That was shooting a variety of factory ammo types. Now I limit it to 10 rounds, let it cool while shooting something else.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector

Got a few the hvy. Bbl. .223 has fired at least 2000 rnds. Factory ammo, others few hundred each. 45-70 2-3 hundred with my hand loads. Never had a problem with any of them. Hvy. Bbl. Tapered Bbl. both shot 1 in. 3 shot groups @ 100 yards. 45-70 2 in. @ 100 yards. 243 1 in. @ 200 yards. W/ factory ammo. 20 years ago when I still had eyes. All with cheap 3x9 Burris scopes from K-Mart. Weaver Rings.

My daughters in 357 magshoots nickels at 100. But it still broke durring deer season a few years ago. But no worries its under warranty just send it in and we should get it back to you by january. Needless to say i paid a local smith to fix it.

My cousin had a couple on 20g with rifled barrels. Very accurate but both broke in the same spot as mine. The pin that conects the transfer bar breaks. I know of 2 others that had the same problem. They sure do shoot well but thats is a weak point.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 02:04 PM

You should have fun with that one. Cool find!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 03:48 PM

The only one of these I bought was a .223 with a bull barrel. Went to shoot it and broke out in a sweat trying to pull the trigger. I put it away and 20 years later decided to shine on the trigger which did improve it a bunch but not to what I call a target trigger.

Nice little guns for the price tho, I payed 100 bucks for mine new and for hunting it would do fine.

Posted By: RdFx

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 04:18 PM

hippie have gunsmith install a Timmins trigger.... can be set for 1/2 lb if you want that.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 04:20 PM

Thanks, didn't know there were aftermarket triggers for them. Might just play with this thing again!

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/01/22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
hippie have gunsmith install a Timmins trigger.... can be set for 1/2 lb if you want that.

Timmins has a NEF single shot trigger? Wow interesting. Or is it Timney? Checking that out. I just picked up a trigger for a Mosin Nagant build I am planning. I would like a better trigger on my NEF .223...
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 04:46 PM

[Linked Image]

So what's the trick or is that a secret?
Posted By: 160user

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 04:56 PM

[Linked Image]

As I recall you need to have them upside down for reassembly.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 05:40 PM

Upside down and pull the triger tilting it tell thing fall into place. Its been a while since i have hade mine apart but that the basic. Easy after the first few times. Trickey if its been a few years.

Wish i could find a few like new mark 2s. Mine is about my fav hand gun. Killed a mounian of things with it over the last 24 years. Had it cut down to 4.25" and threaded so all .22 ammo stays sub sonic.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 05:48 PM

Ok I never really had a problem other than it needs some help with a small dead blow. Just thought there might be some trick I didn't know. Thanks

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

As I recall you need to have them upside down for reassembly.

it is all about getting the hammer strut in the correct position
the hammer must be forward to get the strut to the correct position or you are fighting getting the main spring housing into the gun on re-assembly

all the tricks be it , holding the trigger and bopping the back of the bolt with a dead blow , all come down to aligning the hammer strut

I use a head lamp I pull the trigger to move the hammer forward if it doesn't fall correctly I use a pick to help it forward through the main spring housing opening in the grip
it is narrow and you need the light from just the right direction to see in there and make sure the hammer is fully forward and the strut resting strait down where it will fit into the slot in the main spring housing while the muzzle is down then once you have the mainspring housing in place rotate muzzle up and close the latch to compress the main spring then it is done

if you fail to rotate muzzle up the strut may not fall back into the main spring housing and the bolt will not move , remove the main spring housing again and repeat remembering to turn muzzle up

so the while the thing is a dance of muzzle down dry fire , pull latch open , remove main spring housing . pull bolt stop pin down while wiggling , then with that removed the bolt can come out and the upper separate from the lower

on re-assembly upper and lower together, bolt in , muzzle down pull trigger , make sure the hammer is in forward position strut down , keeping the muzzle down insert bolt stop pin and main spring housing until the pin is full in and the main spring housing rotates into the grip then before closing latch turn muzzle up
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Awsome pawnshop find today - 01/04/22 07:46 PM

My MKIII is a bearcat to reassemble....hate taking the danged thing apart. It's like one of those chinese treasure boxes getting it back together....stand on your left foot, blink your right eye three times, wiggle your big toe just right, and turn your head and cough just to get it back together. Yuck. Haven't shot mine in years
© 2024 Trapperman Forums