Home

Snowy owl invasion

Posted By: bucksnbears

Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 12:55 AM

I see them every year in MN but this year is crazy. Guessing I've seen 40+ in the past week.
The few Hungarian partridge we have are gonna take a whooping!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:09 AM

That happened here a few years ago. Saw them everywhere that winter
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:15 AM

Guy I knew trapped and tagged them here for the State D.E.C.Beautiful birds.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:18 AM

That is one owl I haven't seen. See plenty of owls here but never one of them.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:19 AM

Maybe they’re headed to Hogwarts! lol
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:22 AM

They sure are pretty. We only get one or two here every so often.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:22 AM

A sign of a widespread small mammal crash in the north.
That will make marten move long distances in good numbers also when they abandon their home ranges.
Seen it twice with the marten.All adults-almost no juveniles.
Havent seen any numbers of snowy owls here yet.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:24 AM

seen a pair on the back field 2 days ago used to be a rare sighting now common even in early fall

Hogwarts Lee you never cease to amaze me
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
That will make marten move long distances in good numbers also when they abandon their home ranges.

That's what I was wondering, coming south for food
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:33 AM

They seem to like the big marsh and are hanging around. 2 to 5 a day for me while trapping. Highlight of the season.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:51 AM

[Linked Image]

I saw this one 2 weeks ago in NE

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:56 AM

They love this open country and like posting on telephone poles.
Went on a 125 mile coyote tour today and seen about 20.
Beautiful birds!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:16 AM

Maybe Muskrat411 will chime in what has happened around him on the McKenzie River.
Did not see many going through Manitoba this fall.
The do cue into where the rats are getting frozen out.

Any areas that have had crops not harvested the mouse populations build up and you can have one on every telephone pole in those spots.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:35 AM

we are not good snowy owl country. north west (the direction not President Kanyia's kid) of here on the North Slope and Alaska might be better more open country. We have mostly Great horned owls and small hawk owls and another even smaller owl. We will see the occasional snowy owl but never vey many of them. The Mackenzie Delta is really thick willow country

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:53 AM

I think your small owl is likely a boreal owl.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:54 AM

The smaller owl is probably the Boreal Owl about fist size.
True you have to get east into the barren grounds for the breeding area

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:56 AM

OOKPIK

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:27 AM

As beautiful as they are, they can sure decimate the Hungarian partridge population!
Funny how a pure white male can take off and fly right in front of my truck with snow on the ground and all but dissapear.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Yep, Buddy in Alaska says no rabbits around his place this year. Good thing the owls have wings and can fly. The lynx are starving and on the decline. Typical 10 yr cycle from what I understand.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:52 AM

Our rabbit population crashed a couple years ago and we are only seeing the beginning of a recovery this winter.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

I see them every year in MN but this year is crazy. Guessing I've seen 40+ in the past week.
The few Hungarian partridge we have are gonna take a whooping!

What town are you near? My wife would love to see one, I've only ever saw one that I remember here in South haven.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 05:02 AM

Every year we end up with our share of them here in ND too. I have times I will see more than one between the house and town, 6 miles. It seems like there is more than there was 20 years ago.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 08:58 AM

I see a few snowy owls near here most Winters. I think they are beautiful. There's one section of Ohio State Route 38, just above London, Ohio, where there will often be several snowy owls for a week or so, each Winter. They sit on some telephone poles along the road, within sight of each other.

Keith
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 09:55 AM

we get a few around here every year most die , starvation, is what they say [dnr]

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 01:30 PM

I have a friend in Marquette that claims they find them face planted on the Superior shoreline. They figure after flying over the lake they collapsed on land from exhaustion. Wonder how many don’t make land and get swallowed up by the lake?
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:28 PM

Here in Michigan's thumb, I usually see maybe a half dozen or so. Haven't seen one yet this season, but I haven't been out much.
They typically perch on utility poles, barn roofs,or on the ground. I have never seen one in a tree.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 02:36 PM

I remember an owl bander who did a little paper search in the HBC records to where they sent those traps that were set to catch owls on poles. Then he sent letters to the managers of some of those post to post a reward for the traps to be turned in. He then paid the postage back to him. Wonder how many of those traps ended up in some personal trap collections in the USA.?

it was a two edge sword his efforts
he got traps back
but it re-kindled a old tradition in some of the communities
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:05 PM

I saw one 3 days ago. I’m in North Missouri. Heard about another one. Same county but several miles away. Thinking it’s a different one.
I’d guess about 1 year in 5 they make it this far south.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:32 PM

They show up here about now every winter, they seem to key on the ducks that overwinter on the prairie.
Posted By: Tray

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:52 PM

We get good numbers some winters here, here they mostly hunt pheasants in the winter.

Attached picture F8497482-F51D-4980-A860-1085BD1F0E65.jpeg
Attached picture 0E6F6A20-A1F8-4ABA-B17E-3BA86E23DC08.jpeg
Attached picture 92836AE9-921D-4382-8BC1-49C5DC08F344.jpeg
Posted By: charles

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 03:58 PM

We even see a few on NC Hatteras Island beaches in late winter. Colder weather might push some there later in the season.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 04:35 PM

Sounds like they may have had a good breeding year--a population explosion:

Irruptive range
Large winter irruptions at temperate latitudes are thought to be due to good breeding conditions resulting in more juvenile migrants.[6] These result in irruptions occurring further south than the typical snowy owl range in some years.[95] They have been reported, as well as in all northerly states in the contiguous states,[96] as far south as the Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, nearly all the Gulf Coast of the United States, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Utah, California and even Hawaii.[5][10][97] In January 2009, a snowy owl appeared in Spring Hill, Tennessee, the first reported sighting in the state since 1987.[98] Also notable is the mass southern migration in the winter of 2011/2012, when thousands of snowy owls were spotted in various locations across the United States.[99] This was then followed by an even larger mass southern migration in 2013/2014 with the first snowy owls seen in Florida for decades.[100][101] The nature of irruptions is less well-documented in Eurasia, in part due to the paucity of this owl in the European side, but accidental occurrence, presumably during irruptions, has been described in the Mediterranean area, France, Crimea, the Caspian part of Iran, Kazakhstan, northern Pakistan, northwestern India, Korea and Japan.[5][6][102] Stragglers may too turn up as far south as the Azores and Bermuda.[4]
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 06:20 PM

Too bad they dont eat Redtails.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Sounds like they may have had a good breeding year--a population explosion:

Irruptive range
Large winter irruptions at temperate latitudes are thought to be due to good breeding conditions resulting in more juvenile migrants.[6] These result in irruptions occurring further south than the typical snowy owl range in some years.[95] They have been reported, as well as in all northerly states in the contiguous states,[96] as far south as the Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, nearly all the Gulf Coast of the United States, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Utah, California and even Hawaii.[5][10][97] In January 2009, a snowy owl appeared in Spring Hill, Tennessee, the first reported sighting in the state since 1987.[98] Also notable is the mass southern migration in the winter of 2011/2012, when thousands of snowy owls were spotted in various locations across the United States.[99] This was then followed by an even larger mass southern migration in 2013/2014 with the first snowy owls seen in Florida for decades.[100][101] The nature of irruptions is less well-documented in Eurasia, in part due to the paucity of this owl in the European side, but accidental occurrence, presumably during irruptions, has been described in the Mediterranean area, France, Crimea, the Caspian part of Iran, Kazakhstan, northern Pakistan, northwestern India, Korea and Japan.[5][6][102] Stragglers may too turn up as far south as the Azores and Bermuda.[4]

Same years the Marten were on the move.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 06:26 PM

Somebody has to say it. Ti's on account of global warming don't you know. laugh
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
I remember an owl bander who did a little paper search in the HBC records to where they sent those traps that were set to catch owls on poles. Then he sent letters to the managers of some of those post to post a reward for the traps to be turned in. He then paid the postage back to him. Wonder how many of those traps ended up in some personal trap collections in the USA.?

he got traps back

Don't know how long ago that was.The guy here that trapped and banded the owls didn't use foot traps on poles.He used live traps,,almost like a miniture turkey net trap.He used live pigeons for bait,,,and actualy waited in a short distance from the trap,,and set it off by hand when an owl went for the pigeon.
Posted By: gman

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 07:07 PM

BB Did ya see any coyotes?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 07:37 PM

I am sure its just a natural migration that's been going on forever. The voles their main food source is now living under the snow, so they migrate south just like the geese do when they run out of food.

Folks here eat them on occasion. Like Muskrat we dont have many local here. Most on the North slope I imagine.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 07:46 PM

I remember seeing snowy owls, during the Winter, when I was a kid in Cincinnati, Ohio, during the early seventies.

Keith

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

he got traps back

Don't know how long ago that was.The guy here that trapped and banded the owls didn't use foot traps on poles.He used live traps,,almost like a miniture turkey net trap.He used live pigeons for bait,,,and actualy waited in a short distance from the trap,,and set it off by hand when an owl went for the pigeon.

There was a trap made especially to go on poles around the turn of the century maybe Cohunt would know. His searches were in the 1960-70 when he worked security for HBC
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I am sure its just a natural migration that's been going on forever. The voles their main food source is now living under the snow, so they migrate south just like the geese do when they run out of food.

Folks here eat them on occasion. Like Muskrat we dont have many local here. Most on the North slope I imagine.

They eat owls?
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 11:39 PM

Snowy Owl •
Units 17, 18, 22, 23, and 26:
Residents: No limit; however, a bird may be taken only if used for food or clothing, and no bird or
part of a bird may be sold or offered for sale........................................................................................................Sept 1-Apr 1 Nonresidents:.................................................................................................................................................no open season

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/02/22 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by gman
BB Did ya see any coyotes?

No, not one. Tracks were everywhere.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by drasselt

Snowy Owl •
Units 17, 18, 22, 23, and 26:
Residents: No limit; however, a bird may be taken only if used for food or clothing, and no bird or
part of a bird may be sold or offered for sale........................................................................................................Sept 1-Apr 1 Nonresidents:.................................................................................................................................................no open season

Huh. I'll forgo the obvious question and assume they taste like spotted owl, or chicken....be a cool mount
Posted By: waggler

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 02:54 AM

I read once that it is speculated that most of those snowy owls that make it to the lower 48 end up dying from starvation since they don't really adapt to the new environment.
It would be interesting to know if that is true.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 03:06 AM

Seen 100s over the years and never seen a dead one?

Oops, I lied. Shot one bout 40 years ago with a .22lr. Thought it was a jackrabbit sitting on a snowdrift. cry
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 05:05 AM

Beautiful birds. Many like setting in high places around many towns and cities. The squirrels are good meals for many of them. With all the winter bird and animal feeding we do, we help them funnel prey for them.

Bryce
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 06:03 AM

Meh.

They can keep them up north
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 11:42 AM

We had an invasion of snowy owls here in PA a few years ago. I forget what they said the cause was but the event caused quite a stir.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 12:21 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the marsh they perch on rat huts, trap stakes or just sit on the bays
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 05:47 PM

Thanks for posting nimzy, appreciate the pics
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ringneck1
Originally Posted by yukonjeff

They eat owls?

Yes. we can also hunt great horned owls if we want.

Snowy owl feathers are used exclusively for men's Eskimo dance fans as well.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 07:04 PM

Heard there was a large migration through Manitoba mid 2021 December with 100 in a 60 mile stretch.
There was a published paper out of Saskatoon lately of 2 Saskatchewan farmers who were banders and their returns over a 40 year period that I am tracking down now to read.
Posted By: Tray

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/03/22 07:39 PM

Heard there was a large migration through Manitoba mid 2021 December with 100 in a 60 mile stretch.
There was a published paper out of Saskatoon lately of 2 Saskatchewan farmers who were banders and their returns over a 40 year period that I am tracking down now to read.

This might be what your looking for.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/...dian-farmers-help-bust-a-pervasive-myth/

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/04/22 12:15 AM

Yes that is the author Weibe out of Univ Sask Saskatoon.
She was touring with another bander Jim Duncan( that Gulo knows), just before the c-19 pandemic hit in India.

Re: Snowy owl invasion - 01/04/22 12:41 AM

There could be a new published paper that came around in the Bird Notes from Birds Canada. More digging
There is an eruption of Halk Owls this year that a bander has had some good luck with catching.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums