Home

Best fly fishing books

Posted By: ausy94

Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 04:57 AM

Looking to get into fly fishing looking for books on how to as well as fly tieing.
Posted By: isaacsbees

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 05:04 AM

I highly recommend An Introduction to Fly Tying by Peter Cockwill and The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide by Tom Rosenbauer as good starter books smile
Posted By: Johnny Four Eyes

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 09:34 AM

Amato books has good ones.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 02:05 PM

Books and YouTube is good but, if you can find a fly fishing club to join, you will really learn fast. To me, fly fishing is a fun hobby. You can go expensive or cheap. Find what fits you.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 02:29 PM

99% of people I see trout fishing has a fly rod. I have owned several and still prefer a spinning rod and reel. The wind doesn't bother me, nor do the trees behind me bother me. My old eyes can't see enough to tie a fly on. And, I have better success flinging a Kastmaster than the guys fly fishing have.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 02:35 PM

As suggested, Orvis has an excellent video library on selecting gear, rods, reels, lines, knots, fly selection and reading water. Give them a try.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
99% of people I see trout fishing has a fly rod. I have owned several and still prefer a spinning rod and reel. The wind doesn't bother me, nor do the trees behind me bother me. My old eyes can't see enough to tie a fly on. And, I have better success flinging a Kastmaster than the guys fly fishing have.

The wind does not bother a fly caster just as trees behind him. There are ways to deal with these situations.
As far as your better success, maybe you do. But I know this, there are times when a fly works better than a spinner. Every dog has his day.

One thing most don't get is that the method you use is part of the enjoyment of the process. If all you care about is filling your limit than your your just one step away from going down to the market and buying your fish.

Great satisfaction can be and is derived from fooling a fish when you put limits on yourself and do it in a more challenging way. Again, if all you want is fish its quicker and easier, and more than likely cheaper to buy them at the market.

As far as getting into fly fishing, its a broad field. Dry fly fishing, nymph fishing, swinging flies with a switch or spey rod are all ways to catch trout with a fly but all require different skills and types of flies. And thats not even mentioning other species of fish out there.

OP should let us know what kind of fly fishing he plans to do in what type of places.

The way I catch trout on a fly will not work for all fly fisherman.

[Linked Image]

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 04:51 PM

Sweet! Dirty D
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 04:53 PM

Well said^^^^^

It is all about the process and journey. And thats what makes it so enjoyable. I frankly feel like a lot of sportfish can be caught more effectively with flies than spinners. Stocker trout in Nebraska might like a cast master but show me what happens when the river lights up with risers in late june to a thick PMD and drake hatch. Youll be wishing you had a fly rid for sure

From the local the OP has he will probably be chasing wild brookies and browns in small freestone streams.

There is a deep rabbit hole to go down but you dont need the most expensive gear to fish well. Some practices do necessitate good gear, but for the little streams youll be fishing, youll be fine with something like a redington start up kit. Get the standard 9’ 5 wt. it will be useful when you go places like the yough which is bigger water. Or chasing smallies. Youtube is a wealth of info. Dive in a cut your teeth!! Always love to post photos. They tell better stories
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 05:12 PM

Also, try and find someone to teach you how to cast. After you get the hang of it. ( well good enough) to get you on the water, so you won’t get frustrated! This is not a power sport! It takes a little timing. Great pictures D.T.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Best fly fishing books - 01/02/22 05:23 PM

Never touched on tying flies, but i was just thinking about supplies. Hunting and trapping can provide lots of great materials for the flies youll need. Duck wings, pheasant tails, deer hair and tails, muskrat, fox, coyote, etc the list goes on. Save all that stuff. When your at the tying bench, you can grab materials and experiment. Here is my bass, pike, salt box im shuffling around for a trip to florida next month [Linked Image]

Good luck!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums