Home

Egg Gravy

Posted By: maintenanceguy

Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 01:37 AM

Am I the only one? I grew up with chipped beef gravy, sausage gravy, and egg gravy. It's the same roux-based gravy but with chopped up hard boiled eggs instead of sausage.

When I met my wife 35 years ago she said "you ate what?". I've made it a few times, nobody else in my family will touch it. I've mentioned it a few times to people I know and get the same reaction.

So, am I the only one who's family made this?
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 01:40 AM

Never heard of it.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 01:41 AM

Mom made gravy with that salty beef that was sliced real thin and came in little jars. Made gravy with sausage, with the greases and crunchy’s from frying chicken or pork, with hamburger too but never eggs. I may try it. Anything to know besides putting hard boiled eggs in it?
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 01:42 AM

I’m not real sure what you’re talking about but I’m in if it has gravy in the name
Posted By: k snow

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:04 AM

Never heard of it, but I'd try it over biscuits for sure. Any more details on the recipe?
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:45 AM

Are you sure it wasn't gravy served over hard boiled eggs, don't see how egg n yoke could stay together in a rue gravy, to answer never heard of it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:47 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7426681/re-whats-for-dinnah#Post7426681

I gave the recipe there.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Egg gravy - Cook a few diced onions in some butter, add flour to make a roux, add milk and a couple slices of cheese and stir until its thick, add 6-8 diced boiled eggs and stir until its hot. Easy and very good. Don't forget the salt and pepper!

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:49 AM

I guess only our family that ate this. Wonder who's idea it was.

It was just a roux with some milk to make a white gravy. A little salt and pepper. And add chopped up hard boiled eggs. We ate it over biscuits or toast.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 03:23 AM

Opened this thread to see what it was

Don't like boiled eggs so probably a hard pass for me, but for someone that does it is probably good

Closest I get to that is 2 eggs over medium on a bed of hashbrowns smothered in gravy.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy

It was just a roux with some milk to make a white gravy. A little salt and pepper. And add chopped up hard boiled eggs. We ate it over biscuits or toast.

My mother made it…creamed eggs on toast..
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 03:33 AM

Loved dried beef with gravy on toast. Mom called it chit on a shingle.
Posted By: trapperbruce

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 04:50 AM

i am gathering you mean a "bechamel sauce " with chopped boiled eggs , very good on baked fish ..well on almost everything .just on toast or just as is cold .we call it egg gravy.basic white sauce with boiled eggs added
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 09:21 AM

Sounds great. I'm gonna make some soon.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 10:48 AM

Never heard of it but it’s gravy so I’m all in.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 11:11 AM

any kind of gravy is good eats, chipped beef, sausage, egg, bologna, hotdog. I grew up at a time when you had to feed a family and had 3 hotdogs, you made gravy with them and ate it over home made bread.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 11:19 AM

Sounds like something that came about during the depression. This is the first I have ever heard of it, but it sounds good.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 11:40 AM

Never heard of egg gravey
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 01:41 PM

Creamed chip beef and toast?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Creamed chip beef and toast?

Chiped beef on toast we always called S.O.S.Ate a lot of that growing up.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:20 PM

Never even heard of it till last year. Guy at work brought some in for us all to try over toast. He called it creamed eggs. It was really good.
Posted By: old243

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:35 PM

I am no cook, or so my wife says. She makes boiled eggs sliced course. adds a can of peas. a white sauce added, really good over bread or toast. Not sure how she does it. I suspect , that someone , who has a few hens and lots of eggs, will think up ways of using them. old 243
Posted By: JD Nichols

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 02:43 PM

Creamed eggs (hard boiled) on toast is one of my favorites. We save out the yolks and crumble them up with a fork and then put them on top of the gravy . The gravy is a basic white sauce of Browned butter, milk, and a flour roux, once it is thickened add the cut up egg whites and add spices, I like salt pepper, thyme and garlic powder. spoon over toast and add the crumbled egg yolks and sprinkle with paprika. you can cut the toast diagonally and arrange them pinwheel style for a nicer appearance.
Posted By: charles

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 04:20 PM

Never heard of egg gravy. Sound good to me.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 05:40 PM

Good gravy! I'm in
Grandma use to make red eye gravy too
Posted By: spotter

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/03/22 06:07 PM

My family ate this a lot in the Midwest. We called it bechamel toast.
Posted By: DBrooks

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 12:42 AM

My wife always makes a big pan of SOS for me on the first day of deer hunting season, it's a tradition I always look forward to. Instead of sausage or chipped beef she uses hamburg and I much prefer it that way. It will stick to your ribs for sure.

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 01:56 AM

How do you pronounce "bechamel"?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 02:13 AM

"grease gravy" smile
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 02:39 AM

Besh a mel
Posted By: danvee

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 02:43 AM

Loved SOS an old military's favorite.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 03:30 AM

One online recipe for egg gravy-EGG GRAVY
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 11:48 AM

We eat the equivalent on rice.

We have meatball stew with cracked eggs quite often. Stew that I cook is roux, onions, ground meat, eggs, 2 small potatoes, and it’s thinned with broth when needed. Once the meatballs are picked, it’s egg gravy
Posted By: peej

Re: Egg Gravy - 01/04/22 01:59 PM

Fried potatoes and egg gravy for breakfast. YUMMY!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums