Home

Warm Hands

Posted By: ShawneeMan

Warm Hands - 01/04/22 12:57 AM

Ever since I was a kid, I've never been able to keep my hands warm in winter. Had a (and still have it!) Jon-e hand warmer, but it never really worked right.
When the hot hands came out I bought them by the dozens. I use a quad to check my traps and finally thought of a solution. I have a pair of 12V motorcycle
glove liners with a controller that I stuffed on a shelf after selling my ST 1300 about 4 years ago - man that thing is nice!!
What's your solution...??
Posted By: charles

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 01:08 AM

I cut my left index finger with a skill saw years ago. The doctors saved it, but it is numb and it hurts like heck when it gets cold. No glove works. Maybe an electric glove will.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 01:27 AM

You can get hand and or thumb warmers installed on your bike or snowmachine-they often come standard here.You can turn them on or off when you need to.
I wear beaver and moosehide mitts with wool duffle liners so I very rarely use the handlebar warmers.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 01:29 AM

warm gloves, warm mitts, handwarmers, hand warmer pouch with body warmers in it.....
Posted By: Osky

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
You can get hand and or thumb warmers installed on your bike or snowmachine-they often come standard here.You can turn them on or off when you need to.
I wear beaver and moosehide mitts with wool duffle liners so I very rarely use the handlebar warmers.

I have them on my sleds. Even with good gloves you have to turn them down or they will nearly burn your hands.
Other than that, 3 layers. Closest the thinnest with leather or buckskin the outermost.
For sheer fun and warmth a pair of fur gauntlet type choppers.

Osky
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 10:12 AM

It doesn’t get that cold here.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 07:52 PM

Chopper mitts with wool liners. If it's real bad a shake type hot hands pouch in each.
Thin cotton gloves inside choppers too.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 08:16 PM

I have had trouble keeping hands warm my whole life. Just got back from a pheasant hunt in SD. Couple days the high was below 0. I had heard the key to warm hands is a warm core so the body sends warm blood to extremities in order to cool it. I wore a heavy sheepskin vest under my hunting coat and a light pair of loose fitting gloves. My hands got a little cold the first day and were prefect the last three days. Thats carrying a shotgun in below zero weather. Made a believer out of me. Kids got tired of hearing about it. LOL

Also, I cant have gloves with an elastic cuff of any kind. If my wrist is restricted, my hands are cold.

Just my $.02, Good luck out there!
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 08:18 PM

Wear warm gloves/mitts, stick another pair in the front of yer pants. Change em out as needed.

Also-in a pinch the exhaust pipe on yer quad is real life saver to warm up hands/gloves. Be careful with this as some moisture comes out as well. But many a time I’ve warmed my hands and gloves with the tail pipe exhaust.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Warm Hands - 01/04/22 08:48 PM

Yes good leather chopper mitts. No air gets through that leather. Then a couple thin layers under them.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 02:00 AM

Dad always carried a couple of silver quarters. One year it was so cold while hunting my fingers were freezing around my gun, lol. Complained to dad and he reaches into his pants, pulls out two quarters ... tells me to put one in each of my mittens and hold them in the palm of my hands. My fingers started to warming up almost instantly. Guessing that was the start of my love for heat transfer theory. Always carried quarters or half dollars ever since.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 06:48 AM

Increasing core temperature is the key to stop the blood vessels in your arms from cutting off the circulation to your hands. The blood vessels are restricted by the brain in order to sacrifice the extremities in order to save vital internal organs.
Those "hot hand" warmers do feel nice on your hands, but they would likely be more effective if you put them in your armpits.
Putting those warmers in your gloves will not stop your brain from cutting off the circulation to your hands.
Posted By: Wiplumber

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 08:46 PM

I will wear merino wool liner gloves with a fingerless merino wool liner glove over the top. Then I get a cheap pair of deer hide mittens and stick an adhesive "hot hands" toe warmer inside the mitten on the top. Mitts come off and you have all the dexterity you need to fumble around with whatever. When your hand get cold you stick them inside the mitts which are warm from the toe warmers.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 10:09 PM

Work in cold all the time an Shoshone Indian I worked with showed me a trick when your hands start getting cold swing your arms in a windmill fashion works super. The blood shoots down to your finger tips and hands warm quickly..
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 10:17 PM

Gloves are usually good enough for me. Big hide mitts when on a machine and in the bucket ice fishing. Zippo hand warmer in a pocket is awesome ice fishing. You can put it in your mitts to heat it up if you get really cold hands handling fish.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Warm Hands - 01/05/22 11:08 PM

this works

https://www.amazon.com/Peacock-Japanese-Platinum-Catalyst-Warmer/dp/B009T0QDF8
© 2024 Trapperman Forums