Home

Nebraska sand hills ?

Posted By: yukon254

Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/08/22 06:49 PM

Wife and I just went through the sand hills in November. Neat country. Anyone here trap that country ? I saw lots of rats in some of the sloughs along the highway.

We also went up highway 85 through south and north Dakota. I've been through both states many times but never up that highway. It was some of the most desolate country I've ever seen! There wasnt much traffic going up through there and the weather was nasty. Anyone living in that area are some tough hombres !

The badlands looked like they might be productive for coyotes and bobcats ?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/08/22 08:24 PM

I've trapped those rats several years. I'll wait awhile to do it again.
Yes, there are some dandy coyotes there. Not all of them are good but definitely some pretty ones. And there is mange just like everywhere else.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 12:36 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heres a couple pictures for you. Sometimes the weather is great
Posted By: warrior

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 01:07 AM

That bottom pic reminds me of a black baldy dad had that absolutely hated dogs of any type. She would have stomped that coyote into a puddled mess.

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 01:23 AM

yep. i suspect both them coyotes were nervous long fore i got there
Posted By: DWC

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 01:26 AM

Used to go through Valentine to North Platte to meet my wife for our weekend getaways when she lived in CO. Only place ive ever been where the signs didnt point toward a town, but to someones ranch. Awesome area. One of my becket list fishing trips is to kayak fish gills on some of those sandhills ponds. Theyre spose to be huge.

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 01:30 AM

DWC I caught perch. Was a thrill for me. Don't have them here.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:05 AM

Yes, although I haven't been back to that area in 3 years because of studies. I trapped the Sand Hills for 17 years and I plan to do it again in 2022. North of Thedford.
Wonderful country!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:09 AM

definitely a real nice piece of the world
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:20 AM

I've never have trapped in the sandhills. But I have called coyotes there. Some really nice fine furred very light colored dogs. Usually smaller than my SE Nebr dogs. I have been going thru the sandhills and that area probably since the late 60s. We had relation up there. It's one scenic area for sure. In a wet year everything is green and the cattle are fat as can be standing in belly deep grass. I still try to get thru that area a couple times a year. Up to the Pine Ridge area......... a unique gem of an area too !!!

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
yep. i suspect both them coyotes were nervous long fore i got there

So you're saying they were glad to see you?

Bet they were in for surprise. LOL
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:56 AM

Love the Sandhills. Only place I've driven on a one lane paved road. Wouldn't mind living there some day.

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 02:59 AM

Pretty terrain but I'd be at a loss figuring out where to set. I'd be hauling in rocks and stumps for something of interest.

What do you do try find the dips and hollows that funnel traffic?
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:05 AM

Turkey hunted around Oshkosh this spring. Fished Southern Sandhills lakes while I was there. Excellent fishing. Nice crappie and huge bluegill. Went back in October and killed the snot outa ducks on Sandhills lakes. I could live in that country if it wasn’t for the lack of squirrel timber lol

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:09 AM

first thing you see is a good place to start warrior. i would bet 5 bucks after 3-4 days your pelting knife would be getting lots of butcher steel time. coyotes is coyotes
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Pretty terrain but I'd be at a loss figuring out where to set. I'd be hauling in rocks and stumps for something of interest.

Coyotes find cows more interesting than rocks and stumps

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

Im just takin a stab here, but im guessing if you end up on a few large ranches you’d be looking for intersection 2 track roads and i bet the tracks would confirm your suspicion. Thatd be where i would start anyway.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:14 AM

I only spend a few days there a year but I love them. Great memories with the boys and some fine hunting dogs

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 03:59 AM

Whats the bird of choice?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 10:33 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
[Linked Image]

Don’t take any heated gloves there because people will make fun of you-bahaha

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 11:08 AM

Now I am hungry. Nice picture. Wish my bride would wake up. Starting to think she wants me to fix my own breakfast. Maybe if I open and close the front door a few times. Kinda mumble that it sure is muddy outside.......
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 11:49 AM

Is it all private land trapping in that sandhill country ?
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: Nebraska sand hills ? - 01/09/22 01:34 PM

Not all private. But that's where I prefer to be. Where you can get on. But be careful staring out across the endless expanse of sand dunes. You can get mesmerized and go into a trance. LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums