Home

Savage A 17

Posted By: NebrCatMan

Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 03:53 PM

Gonna order me a new gun probably from Buds and I am thinking about a Savage A17. This is a semi auto in 17 HMR caliber. Most reviews I have read have been favorable. [Linked Image]
Does anybody have one??? Like it ?? Pros or cons ? They have 3 versions in stock. A regular stock one...... a laminated sporter.... and a heavy barreled reg one. Any comments on just the 17 HMR caliber? Thanks !!!
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 04:00 PM

I love savage rifles except for the axis. I do not recommend buds though. Only dealt with them once and that was enough.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 04:22 PM

I have the savage .17 b mag and if the one your looking at is half as fun as mine you will be very happy. My model is a bolt and lacking a bit in action smoothness but plenty adequate.

Osky
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 04:33 PM

Call your local shops see what they can do for ordering you one and price

comparing my local price to buds my local guy was about 30-40 dollars more on most things but the same when you figure buds would ship it and I would have to pay 30 for the transfer fee at the dealer any way.

a gun shop 1/2 mile away with reloading supplies is worth 10 dollars more on a gun every once in a while

with such a small hole down the barrel and not reaching for the hills with 17cal I wouldn't get the heavy barrel , heavy is just no fun to carry if it gives you little benefit
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 04:43 PM

I have an A-17 so does a buddy of mine. Very reliable and very accurate. Never jam. Perfect for calling raccoons. .17gr V-Max ammo. Knocks the snot out of them, and very fast to get on the second, third, fourth, fifth,,,, coon. We just have the standard stock and barrel. Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II rides atop mine. It's excellent to get a full, clear picture fast.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:32 PM

I have the A17, you will like it. It is accurate. I got the A17 before the 22 mag was available in it. 22 mag will have more thumping power. Either one would be good choice
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:38 PM

My boy has one and has loved it since the day he got it
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:41 PM

I've got it in a Henry,my advice is don't take it squirrel hunting
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:47 PM

works fine for squirrels if you use the 20 gr. hp's and shoot them in the head or ribs, the 17 gr v-max's are suitable for non-edible game, too explosive.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by That Fool
I have the A17, you will like it. It is accurate. I got the A17 before the 22 mag was available in it. 22 mag will have more thumping power. Either one would be good choice

I agree. Given the choice I'd go with the .22 mag even though the .17 works great. The .22 mag does have better knock down on body shots.

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I've got it in a Henry,my advice is don't take it squirrel hunting

Mine is accurate enough for all heads shots but them folks that like to eat squirrel brains will be SOL.
Posted By: bob56

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:51 PM

I"m waiting for the 17WSM to come out.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 05:54 PM

Picked one up in WalMart, Just happened to go by the guns. Wife says. Look at that, Hundred twenty two bucks. Couldn't pass that up. Seems to like cci .22 mags, Having trouble finding them.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 06:07 PM

I got a 22 mag . Shoots great !! 17 had trouble cycling at first so they may have that issue fixed. They came out with a special ammo to help the early models. Good luck finding any of that now.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by trapdye
Picked one up in WalMart, Just happened to go by the guns. Wife says. Look at that, Hundred twenty two bucks. Couldn't pass that up. Seems to like cci .22 mags, Having trouble finding them.

You sure that's a A22 Savage (semi-auto .22 magnum)? They sell for well over $400 these days. If it is, you got a heck of a deal!

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 06:17 PM

I got a henry 22 lever gun for 146 bucks too at Walmart. But that was 21 years ago LOL
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 09:36 PM

Hey thanks guys..........I have a 17 hmr in a single shot break open. I have shot many critters where they just ran off a few feet......... then dropped. The little 17 cal bullet was so fast it zipped thru them without expanding it seems. I am wondering if anyone else has used Buds Guns before and had any problems. The FFL dealer buddy of mine said he has never had any problems with Buds. He encouraged me to order from Buds as it is hard for him to beat their price and also the availability of guns to a small dealer.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/10/22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
Hey thanks guys..........I have a 17 hmr in a single shot break open. I have shot many critters where they just ran off a few feet......... then dropped. The little 17 cal bullet was so fast it zipped thru them without expanding it seems. I am wondering if anyone else has used Buds Guns before and had any problems. The FFL dealer buddy of mine said he has never had any problems with Buds. He encouraged me to order from Buds as it is hard for him to beat their price and also the availability of guns to a small dealer.

if he will do the transfer for you , the only issue is if you try and do electronic funds transfer to get the cash price it sometimes takes a week to go through , where if you buy with a credit card you pay a bit more but it ships sooner. trade off

you get inspection before you accept the transfer look it over good I have seen guns damaged in shipping , it happens you do not accept damaged in shipping guns have them send it back.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 12:58 AM

I used Buds a few tears ago to buy an XD. No problems.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 01:03 AM

Used Buds as well, zero negative issues.

Osky
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 03:05 AM

If you ever have a misfire caused by a split casing which allowed humidity to enter into the powder, preventing the powder to ignite, but the primer goes off causing a squib load/obstructed barrel, don't fire again until you check for a clear barrel.
If this happens, the next shot will blow your gun into pieces.
You will not hear the report of the primer going off. Just a dull click.

I believe that Remington discontinued their 17HMR semi-automatic for this very reason. I believe that they even bought them back from customers.
The ammunition manufacturers had an issue with their casings in the early days. I believe that they have made corrections since then.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 03:41 PM

I've been real impressed with my .17 HMR Ruger Precision. I was once a fan of the .22mag but I've been putting raccoons down pretty solidly out to 100 yards. Little bullet but it's got some punch. I only shoot the 17 grains. Even on the body shots they aren't going far and I haven't seen much damage not that I'm worried about the fur anyways at this point. You do have to bolt but it's worth it in the long run for me.. The most I've put down at one stop was seven with it this year.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 04:19 PM

I read one article on them said there was a problem with ejectors anyone had that issue. Otherwise they seem like a great gun and always see ammo for them.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 08:01 PM

ADC: what rings do you mount the scope with? Medium or high or low?

Just asking. I bought the A17 today. And I'm ordering the scope and rings.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 08:08 PM

I think mine are medium height rings, you could probably go with low rings with the 2-7x32 but I don't know that for sure.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 08:11 PM

Thanks for that info.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 09:12 PM

I have the A 17 just like that one except in a bolt action. Pretty good gun for the money. Sure wish I could find optimized A17 ballistic tip ammo for it though. Anyone else have experience with different .17 ammo?

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 09:18 PM

It's likely a 93R17 if its a bolt gun, the A17 is in semiauto only. I've seen some guys say the 20gr are better but I never saw anything to make me want to experiment with them.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
It's likely a 93R17 if its a bolt gun, the A17 is in semiauto only. I've seen some guys say the 20gr are better but I never saw anything to make me want to experiment with them.

Well I had to go look, it is a semi-auto. Must have been thinking of a different gun. I do have problems with it jamming or not ejecting sometimes but I am not the most diligent about cleaning guns.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 09:52 PM

I had an a-17 I had in my buggy. Great gun. Accurate as all get up.

My problems with it would be no problems with it if I had a gun case or boot for it. But I liked to keep it on the seat ready to roll for the frequent quick shots. I'm in dusty places, especially with the way my buggy kicks it back up and around the inside. She didn't like being dusty and would hang up on cycling. The way the action was & the stock there were all sorts of nick & crannies for it to get gummed up. Had to take the scope off to clean it. 100% the way I used it and not the guns fault in the slightest.

I picked up a Ruger bolt 17 w/ a shorter barrel and that's lived in the buggy since. Easier on the quick grab and she don't mind the buggy dusting. Phenomenal round.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Well I had to go look, it is a semi-auto. Must have been thinking of a different gun. I do have problems with it jamming or not ejecting sometimes but I am not the most diligent about cleaning guns.

You have to clean guns? lol

I use Hornady .17 gr like these and I don't think it has ever jammed. I think I did clean it a couple years ago when we hunted in the rain,,, if you call spraying down with brake kleen and putting a little oil on it, cleaning.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire/17-hmr-17-gr-v-max#!/
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 10:00 PM

Walmart had boxes of 50 .17 HMR for $17 this morning and also had some WSM rounds.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dana I
I love savage rifles except for the axis. I do not recommend buds though. Only dealt with them once and that was enough.

why not the axis?
just
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/11/22 10:05 PM

I have a 93r17. Love the gun. It’s pre accu-trigger so I installed a target trigger. I switched to the 20 grain bullets because the 17 grain pills were too explosive on squirrel. The 20 grain are good for head shots up to coyote at reasonable range in a pinch. Accurate is an understatement. Fun round! I’d like one of those a17. They look like fun.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
Originally Posted by Dana I

why not the axis?
just

Because I have one and I can't get it to shoot a decent group for nothing. 6 inch group at 100 yds. I have tried lots of different ammos, replaced the scope with a leupold, tried about everything I could think of and just can't get it even to "acceptable". Plus I don't really like the feel of it in hand. My nephew has the same gun and has the same situation except his will muster a 3 to 4 inch group.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:21 AM

I think mine are medium height rings, you could probably go with low rings with the 2-7x32 but I don't know that for sure.

it depends how far forward you like to go

I like them back of the scope to back of the trigger so I have to run high to get the ocular bell to clear the rail

[Linked Image]

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Bernie like I pointed out at the beginning of this thread jams were common in the early release models Instead of a recall savage worked with an ammo engineer to develop a round that would cut down on jamming. Big minus to the guns that first came out
Posted By: midlander

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I like them back of the scope to back of the trigger so I have to run high to get the ocular bell to clear the rail

[Linked Image]

I have the A17 heavy barrel. I started with Warne low rings with a Nikon 40mm objective scope as I like them as close to the barrel as possible. Scope clearance was not a problem, but unfortunately the plate that pops off to take it apart for cleaning would not clear. I could not disassemble without removing the scope each time. I ended up getting some Warne medium height and cleaning is not an issue any more. As for the gun, it is accurate, but if its cold out I need to stick to the CCI A17 ammo or it will not cycle well. In the warmer months, it will eat anything.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:40 AM

Here’s the story and info
[Linked Image]

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

[Linked Image]

Green how old is that gun I didn’t think the a17 came with a standard trigg or a plain stock But you may have changed that out That looked like ruger hybrid lol

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 03:52 AM

I like my scope back as far as I get it typically. I don't like leaning over the rifle to see through the scope. So that may be why I get by with lower rings.

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/12/22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Here’s the story and info
[Linked Image]

That's what I have been shooting, I just can't find it anywhere these days.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Savage A 17 - 01/14/22 04:37 AM

Keep checking ammoseek website, Bernie. Youll find it soon enough. Ive picked up several boxes in the last several months
© 2024 Trapperman Forums