Home

Rio Lobo the movie

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:26 PM

I watched it the other day and it occurred to me they mostly had 1892 rifles not 1866 or 1873

very obvious when John Wayne takes his signature 1892 carbine large loop form his saddled scabbard before the big gun fight at the end

not very good for the story line the Civil war just ended , guys still running around in confederate caps cause they haven't worn out yet chasing a criminal from the war but you have a rifle in your hand that won't be made for 26-27 years after the war ends.

of course early in the movie they are carrying 1873 Springfield trap doors during the civil war even the south.
Posted By: Flattail1961

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:45 PM

Don't be too critical. Directors are still making tires squeal on gravel and wet pavement to this day.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:49 PM

And to think that all the shoot-em-up movies he made he never actually killed anybody. whistle
Posted By: white17

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Flattail1961
Don't be too critical. Directors are still making tires squeal on gravel and wet pavement to this day.

And ricochet off plexiglass......
Posted By: warrior

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:52 PM

They called the 1892 the gun that won the west when the west was largely already won before it came out. More appropriate would the gun the won the western.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2
And to think that all the shoot-em-up movies he made he never actually killed anybody. whistle

Rust?

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 03:26 PM

I tell the kids at shooting sports if you saw it on TV , movie or video game forget it as it is most likely wrong, then we can teach you to shoot and hit your target.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I watched it the other day and it occurred to me they mostly had 1892 rifles not 1866 or 1873

very obvious when John Wayne takes his signature 1892 carbine large loop form his saddled scabbard before the big gun fight at the end

not very good for the story line the Civil war just ended , guys still running around in confederate caps cause they haven't worn out yet chasing a criminal from the war but you have a rifle in your hand that won't be made for 26-27 years after the war ends.

of course early in the movie they are carrying 1873 Springfield trap doors during the civil war even the south.

A common occurrence in movies not to mention TV shows, look at Bonanza set during the civil war yet the main characters are all carrying colt peacemakers and Winchester lever actions all of which wouldn’t come out for a good many years, or for that matter the pure prevalence of the colt peacemaker in westerners, while it was a desired gun if you look at old photos it’s not as common as you would think and hardly the only gun shown there being a large number of S&W, Merlin& Hubert, Remingtons just to name a few
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 04:02 PM

But Chuck Connors did it right didn't he?
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 04:31 PM

"if you don't mind drinkin' with a blue belly!"

that line the dentist gives him when he goes in with a fake toothache, "well, if you'd been a good enough actor" (still cracks me up)

i thought Jack Elam did well in that movie

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 05:04 PM

how about all the times they pistol whip someone and it doesn't even knock their hat off

just a thud from hitting the rear brim
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 05:17 PM

I bet you all's wives hate watching movies with you.

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I bet you all's wives hate watching movies with you.

there have been a few movies , generally she says it's fiction darn it , enjoy it and don't analyze it.

she finds some glaring errors in story lines also
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 05:50 PM

I watched an episode of "Mountain Men" a couple nights ago, Rich the dog man, who never shoots the cats, was peering up the mountain with his binoculars with only one lens cap off. I don't believe he's one-eyed lol.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 06:07 PM

Also no one is wearing sweat stained covers or western hats, no dirty clothes, also shooting pistols at 100 -200 yards lol
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 06:29 PM

Despite all the historical inaccuracies and Hollywood razzmatazz it's still one of my favorite JW movies.

Mike

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Also no one is wearing sweat stained covers or western hats, no dirty clothes, also shooting pistols at 100 -200 yards lol

lots of the clothing is wrong , my youngest daughter really gets into the clothing and can pick apart the costumes in most anything historical drama

don't think 100 yards is out of pistol range
can most people do it fast , maybe not but you sure don't want to be a target at 100 yards

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 06:46 PM

lots of the clothing is wrong , my youngest daughter really gets into the clothing and can pick apart the costumes in most anything historical drama

can most people do it fast , maybe not but you sure don't want to be a target at 100 yards

LOL that’s the pure truth, the SAA is one of my favorite guns and one time at the range I finished up sighting in my deer rifle so pulled out my 45 and began bouncing shotgun shells around that were laying out front of the firing stations

Guy next to me started ragging me about my choice of pistol, this was before cowboy actions got big so I pointed at his target out at the 100yard range which had the gun range logo in the center and popped off the last 4 rounds I had left, when he came back from checking his target he found that all 4 had hit inside the 6 inch logo

Surprised myself because I expected to hit close to and around it I didn’t expect to keep all inside
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by teepee2

Rust?

Yep
Posted By: DWC

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 07:42 PM

I always was amazed how good their teeth were. The prostitutes were pretty good looking in the westerns as well. I feel both wouldve been disappointing in real life.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 07:49 PM

Gee whiz, it’s like watching a movie with my Dad with you guys. It’s like “are we Siskel and Ebert or we watching to be entertained?” Let me guess, you all also point out every other movie the actors have been in.

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Gee whiz, it’s like watching a movie with my Dad with you guys. It’s like “are we Siskel and Ebert or we watching to be entertained?” Let me guess, you all also point out every other movie the actors have been in.

there is the issue I am almost face blind and I can't remember names very well.
I can remember characters better

but women shoot they change their hair and I can't remember if I know her or not any more.

my wife I can find in a crowd although she is likely to find me first I usually stick out , maybe less at a trappers convention.

but I can spot a rifle or shotgun model form 2 rows over at a gun show and know by the lines I need to get over there and check the price.

Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 08:41 PM

Well,,I liked the movie.HOWEVER,,the main girl character couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.Lucky for her shes good looking.You noticed the rifles,,did you notice John Waynes belt buckle?It had the emblem of the Red River D brand on it.Red River was a movie he made in 1948.Red River D was the brand he put on his cattle in that movie.Rio Lobo wasn't made till 1970.That brand must have had a special meaning to him.

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 09:19 PM

unlike that other guy who tried to make movies and shot people instead.

John had his own colt SAA , his own Winchester 92 with the big loop and short barrel and his own holster it was his and he took it from movie to movie

there was an article about this in American Rifleman years ago. they were all working guns.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/11/22 10:14 PM

John had his own colt SAA , his own Winchester 92 with the big loop and short barrel and his own holster it was his and he took it from movie to movie

there was an article about this in American Rifleman years ago. they were all working guns.

The engraved pair he used in The Shooting weren't even colts. They were Hawes Great Western clones, german guns.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/12/22 01:43 AM

Agrivatin sons a bucks yall are like tryin to play cards with my sister's kids!

Not only one of the best lines every but reading on here makes me want to say it at least 3 times a day!

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/12/22 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tomahawker

No but I do notice them and unless I s just a horrible movie I otherwise enjoy the show

Originally Posted by warrior

The engraved pair he used in The Shooting weren't even colts. They were Hawes Great Western clones, german guns.

Not really a problem there were actually a lot of colt clones even back in the late 1800s and just like today some were good and some bad

By the way he antique grips were antiqued by John himself by using strong tea to color them
Posted By: mole

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/12/22 10:29 AM

Watch the mouths of the actors. some old Desert Rat flashes a million dollar smile . they could do a CREST commercial

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/12/22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by nightlife

By the way he antique grips were antiqued by John himself by using strong tea to color them

makes sense he got his start as a prop guy after getting injured and loosing his football scholarship to USC
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Rio Lobo the movie - 01/12/22 01:32 PM

Always been one of my observations about westerns....clearest among them is how their hats change over time.

What cowboys wore during the actual period is known. Similar to military uniforms. But in westerns, what cowboys wear changes to meet the fashion of the day. Hats went from big stovepipes (and high water jeans with a rolled up cuff) in the 30's to flat pancakes in the 50's and 60's, to wide floppy brims in the 80's that looked like something Charlie Daniels would wear.

As fort hats......Clint Eastwood always wore a distinctly different hat in all his westerns. One not likely seen anywhere else.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums