Home

Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas

Posted By: larrywaugh

Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 02:37 PM

Two of my friends and I are looking to take a trip to do something you can't do in Kansas. Some of the ideas we have thought of are a bear,Merriam turkey,mule deer or trophy duck hunt or a Canadian or ocean fishing trip. What have you done that was fun?
Posted By: 160user

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 02:42 PM

Our annual fly-in trip to Canada is amazing but Covid has sure put a damper on getting up there the last couple years and 2022 isn't looking very good at this point either.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 02:46 PM

Lake of the woods ice fishing, Lake Michigan salmon fishing, Arkansas timber duck hunting
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 02:46 PM

Go fishing do in the Keys, warm this time of year and great fishing. But I am not talking deep sea fishing. Just normal fishing.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 02:52 PM

Go to Lubbock, TX and shoot sandhill cranes. They have thousands of them. Phenomenal taste and a fun trip with your buddies. Its really neat to be sitting under 1000 of them landing in the decoys for the first time
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 03:07 PM

Bear in Alaska
Wyoming Antelope
Posted By: corky

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 03:32 PM

How old are your friends? The biggest mistake I made was not doing more mountain hunting while I was younger and had good knees.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 03:38 PM

Don't go bear hunting, you will become addicted and it will ruin your life.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 03:46 PM

Anybody have an idea what a guided bear over bait hunt costs.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
Anybody have an idea what a guided bear over bait hunt costs.

Lots of options from $1500 to $6000. Kind of like asking what a car costs. You'll have to be more specific.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 05:23 PM

I think one of those house boats on the Mississippi up around pool 4-8 would be fun.

eat sleep fish and have the little boat in tow to go on day trips and up into tributaries and such
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 05:24 PM

If you've never been to Alaska. Anything in Alaska would be my choice. Fishing is your most affordable option.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
If you've never been to Alaska. Anything in Alaska would be my choice. Fishing is your most affordable option.

Amen to that. I go to Alaska for a week every year Salmon fishing. Excellent trip. We go DIY and rent an RV normally plane ticket, rv rental, food, etc. around $2000 each for the week.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 05:49 PM

I have not done it, but I think fishing the Amazon River could be pretty amazing. There's some huge and exotic fish, plus interesting smaller species, like piranhas.

Keith
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 06:20 PM

Salmon in alaska. Rent a motorhome and go. Seward, soldotna, etc.
I would pick August. Less people and still lots of fish.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 06:20 PM

Bernie. What about someone to put you on a baited stand and provide a place to sleep. We haven't agreed on a budget yet so it's kind of hard to get more specific.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 06:22 PM

I have been to Alaska. The other two haven't. A salmon fishing trip sounds fun.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 06:42 PM

Spring black bear in southeast Alaska. Find a lodge that has skiff rentals, and apply for and get drawn (pretty easy) for a black bear tag in GMU 2 (Prince of Wales Island)
Fish in the morning for halibut, ling cod, king salmon, then then hunt for black bear on the beach in the afternoon. Check your crab and shrimp pots anythime.
Long daylight hours.
Time this during the last week and a half of May.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 07:08 PM

I wouldn't mind doing an actual combined hunting and fishing trip...Maybe hide out at about -30 feet amongst some coral head in the Florida Keys, and hunt hogfish!!

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 07:33 PM

Bernie. What about someone to put you on a baited stand and provide a place to sleep. We haven't agreed on a budget yet so it's kind of hard to get more specific.

For that your looking at the low end of those numbers. You can find someone who will do that for you in Minnesota, maybe Wisconsin and Michigan but it's getting harder to find since the time it takes to draw tags is getting so long. Some Ontario resorts that are just trying to put someone in the cabins after the summer season will put out baits for you, and charge you $2000 or so for just a couple baits and a cabin to stay in, but success rates are low because most of them are fishing resorts who don't know what their doing when it comes to bears and don't put much effort into it.

If you seriously want to go on a good bear hunt and have a high percentage chance of shooting a bear you are going to pay $2000-$3000 in the US for fully guided with lodging and meals. In Canada, it will be about $1000 higher than that.
Posted By: Hunter53

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 07:48 PM

Antelope in New Mexico as you can get guaranteed landowner tags through an outfitter. That way you can go without having to worry about everyone drawing a tag or waiting years to build up preference points. If you go around the Rotone area the NRA Whittington Center and shooting range is right there. After getting your antelope you can tour the center and do some shooting. Make sure to shoot the White Buffalo target; it is 1123 yards to the target. Can't use any magnum calibre to shoot at it though. I did hit it with both of my 6.5 creedmoor rifles I had with me.
I shot this antelope in the Rotone area last year.
[Linked Image]

Also if you want something cheaper and fishing; smallmouth bass in SD, Mille Lacs in MN or the great lakes.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 07:52 PM

Throw a canoe in a river and go. Anywhere you want, as long as you want. Keep a cell phone charged to call for a pickup. Might be couple days might be 10. The fun is no time limit. Go till yer done.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 08:03 PM

I made it a point to do this years ago when I was in a better position to afford it. Only problem is that every fun trip turned into an annual fun trip and I don't have enough vacation time to cover them all. Do whatever while you can when you can. Sometimes someday never comes.....
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
I made it a point to do this years ago when I was in a better position to afford it. Only problem is that every fun trip turned into an annual fun trip and I don't have enough vacation time to cover them all. Do whatever while you can when you can. Sometimes someday never comes.....

I wish I could frame this on a wall. Lots of people spend time talking about doing this or that "one day." Most of the time one day doesn't ever come. I wanted to go to Alaska and kill an emperor goose while they had a non resident system back in 2017 or 2018.

We talked about it for awhile and said we would all go when we finished college and had more money. 2019 rolls around and there is not a non resident free system anymore. Now its a draw and there is a quota so if that's met you get an email that says no more emperors can be killed. Shoulda went when we had the chance

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Spring black bear in southeast Alaska. Find a lodge that has skiff rentals, and apply for and get drawn (pretty easy) for a black bear tag in GMU 2 (Prince of Wales Island)
Fish in the morning for halibut, ling cod, king salmon, then then hunt for black bear on the beach in the afternoon. Check your crab and shrimp pots anythime.
Long daylight hours.

Do you have any recommendations for this? I'm seriously considering it. Is there both baiting and beach spotting on POW?
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by corky
How old are your friends? The biggest mistake I made was not doing more mountain hunting while I was younger and had good knees.

True words spoken
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 11:18 PM

MEXICO

Beach, babes, and brew

Lots of resorts to go enjoy, fishing from sail fish to bottom fish and amazing food.

The boat I chartered last year cost less for the day then my wife and I doing a 1 day trip on the coast.

And as a bonus it makes Leftlane jealous when you post photos lol
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 11:33 PM

I think it'd be cool to do a "method" trapping trip. Similar to how some people get way into hunting with antique firearms, with period correct clothing and such.
It'd be super cool to trap beaver in the mountains somewhere using period correct mountain man equipment, clothing, and fur put up methods.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 11:39 PM

Two of my friends and I are looking to take a trip to do something you can't do in Kansas. Some of the ideas we have thought of are a bear,Merriam turkey,mule deer or trophy duck hunt or a Canadian or ocean fishing trip. What have you done that was fun?

Tuna fishing 60 miles off the coast was a nice outing.

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/11/22 11:49 PM

I am the oldest at 51 but am still in pretty good shap. One reason I am wanting to do this is what you guys are saying someday never comes and before you know it you can't do the things you used to do. I have a nephew who did the tuna fishing thing they tore em up and had a blast. The idea of renting a boat and hunting the coast really intrigued me. Thank for all the ideas.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 12:03 AM

tarpon
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 12:25 AM

our pheasant season is open till the end of the month...... dont think you will find a cooler hunt opportunity.... should be below zero :} grin grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 12:26 AM

How about coyote trapping in Kansas? grin

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by waggler
Long daylight hours.

Do you have any recommendations for this? I'm seriously considering it. Is there both baiting and beach spotting on POW?

I do this myself in GMU3. I know there are lodges who rent skiffs in GMU2 and maybe GMU3 out of the town of Petersburg. If you Google around for skiff rentals or lodges on Prince of Wales Island or Petersburg I'll bet you will find some.
You can bait black bears but you have to register your bait stations; kind of a hassle, but baiting is not necessary, just motor along a few hundred yards off the beach especially at the head of grassy bays around the middle and later in the day. Rainy days will usually be a little slower, but if you have a sunny afternoon and the tide is out don't waste your time doing anything except hunting.
Look for these kind of beaches.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My secret weapon is shown in this picture; can you spot it?
[Linked Image]

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 01:05 AM

I already done the coyote trapping thing this year. I couldn't figure out what to do with them after I caught them. Lol
Posted By: John C

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 01:18 AM

Fed up with Covid restrictions in the US I took my family to Quepos Costa Rica for a sailfish trip. We went with Quepos Fish Adventure. The price was very reasonable at $4700 for up to 4 people. This included three days fishing(two offshore for tuna, Marlin and sailfish and one day inshore for roosterfish), a nice 2 bedroom house on top of a little mountain(called the Italian Compound), travel from San Jose to Quepos and back and from the house to the marina, A private chef one night, and Covid insurance. We did a nature hike with a guy named Fred. It was awesome. We caught fish when other boats didn’t. We also had a great time just hanging out and being there. We have recommended this trip to all of our friends.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 01:30 AM

Waggler- hmmm... secret weapon guess. Maybe the electric trolling motor on the raft for stealth!?

I’ll second an offshore tuna fishing trip. Great fun for a bunch of buddies. Offshore fishing in general, even shark, marlin, mahi. Fun stuff!

John

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 02:36 AM

^^^^^^
I guess that was too easy; yes electric trolling motor. Lots of fun slipping right up to within 10 yards of unaware bears. That is get sport just itself, even if you have no intent to hunt.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
MEXICO Beach, babes, and brew
Lots of resorts to go enjoy, fishing from sail fish to bottom fish and amazing food.
The boat I chartered last year cost less for the day then my wife and I doing a 1 day trip on the coast.

And as a bonus it makes Leftlane jealous when you post photos lol

Hey now! mad
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Cool hunting or fishing trip ideas - 01/12/22 04:05 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums