Home

Outside jobs ?

Posted By: newfox1

Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 03:34 PM

How many t- man members have to work outside, I'm thankful I have inside work for the winter, spent many Winters earning a living outdoors , my hat is off to you folks that are working in this cold.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 03:44 PM

I went nearly 50 years of various jobs that were approx. 50% in an office and 50% outdoors. I'm now (semi) retired, so now, by choice, my work is about 95% outside and 5% inside. Hopefully, before I tip over, I can attain 100% outside work.

Jack
Posted By: run

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 03:56 PM

50%/50% for me.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 03:59 PM

100% outside. Always been like that.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 04:02 PM

I used to do tree work and iron work. Changed to a factory over 15 years ago. I dont miss the rain outs. Its still hot and cold in many of the jobs inside.

I makemore money at the end of the year now.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 05:35 PM

Brickmason Railroad. Steel Plant now coyote trapping year round. Almost 50 never work much in side
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 05:53 PM

I’m a Journeyman lineman, working outdoors sucks even more when it’s over a hundred degrees for days at a time in my opinion, when we have to wear rubber gloves and sleeves doing hot line work.
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 05:55 PM

But I wouldn’t trade it for an inside job, so I’ll just be thankful and shut up
Posted By: Squash

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 06:30 PM

New fox, why you asking, wouldn’t be because it was -17 F this morning in southern Lewis County and 20” of snow yesterday? Haha
Made my living 100% outside, contracted years ago for Int. paper near Stillwater , was -40F everyday in the morning for a week straight. Spent most of the mornings get equipment running. Gelled fuel, you know.
Still cutting some hardwood logs this winter but pick and chose my work days now, I think it is age related . :>)
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 06:33 PM

Work inside but 12 hour shifts on concrete and climbing in and out of presses on repairs gets old. i know I dont have it as bad as others, but I always look at the other side of the fence with a lot of different occupations. if this vaccine mandate continues i just might have one.12 degrees today, so grateful to be inside.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 07:35 PM

Property claims are about 50/50 building inspections / reporting time. When I am not busy with claims I day wage for some of the bigger cow calf outfits and that keeps me outside no matter what the weather.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 08:35 PM

I know all to well squash, I'm over it.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Property claims are about 50/50 building inspections / reporting time. When I am not busy with claims I day wage for some of the bigger cow calf outfits and that keeps me outside no matter what the weather.

You finally gave up the secret of your fancy writing on here, lol.

I work outside. I generally prefer that to being inside. That said, at my job, I can work inside when it's cold or nasty out. Not so much when it's hot though.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 08:59 PM

Been a bayman since 1969, and I feel every year of it, lol
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 09:01 PM

50/50 for me. I'm a design engineer and I spend a good bit of time at my projects or walking new property that we acquire. Found a lot of good duck holes
Posted By: gwc

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 09:10 PM

Outside every day.Have a Window cleaning business,so my hands are in and out of a bucket of water all day.I can take quite a bit of cold,but my hands get cold alot quicker now than they used to.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 10:02 PM

When I was a younger man, I always wanted an outside job. When I was in my 50’s and 60’s before I retired, I was glad to have an inside job.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 10:20 PM

I'm right there with ya Grandpa, if I was half the man I used to be, oh I am half the man I used to be. Lol
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/11/22 11:15 PM

I work outside most of the year. When it gets cold like it is now I work inside and limit my time outside when possible.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 01:17 AM

About 90% outside. I try to do the 10% inside when the weather is at its worst.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Leftlane

You finally gave up the secret of your fancy writing on here, lol.

I work outside. I generally prefer that to being inside. That said, at my job, I can work inside when it's cold or nasty out. Not so much when it's hot though.

I had to fix it see what happens when I try to type on a daggum phone when my fingers are cold?
grin
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:00 AM

I work outside as a mason, but when it's to cold to work I hunt ,trap and cut firewood. Tough job but somebody has to do it!!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:03 AM

Inside job would drive me nuts
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:12 AM

[Linked Image]

Who would want to miss these beautiful minnesota winters?
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
[Linked Image]

45 years playing the same game.

Finally had enough 3 years ago, now I just do it for fun

WS
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:19 AM

Electrician. So it's a mix and just depends on the job. New construction happens whether it's hot or cold. Service work is a crap shoot... Nobody bothers to check the status of their heat trace while the weather is mild... So heat trace calls usually happen when it's miserably cold out... And they want it fixed yesterday.

I am currently in the interview process for a new job doing wiring on custom motor coaches... It's about a 10% pay cut to start. But it's 4/10's, all indoor work (no porta-johns), and 19 miles from the house... so gas savings will help make up the lower starting wage.

Mike
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:25 AM

[Linked Image]

Can’t repair Muscle Cars outside…..so Iam inside
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:36 AM

I own a tree service and have been doing tree work for 20 years. I was climbing all day today in temps from 10-16 degrees. I'll be 40 in a few months and I will eventually have to slow down some on the climbing, and let the younger guys do it. Problem is, I have 4 employees and I am the youngest one on the job. Young guys don't seem to want to do hard physical work. Some days I think I would like to work inside, but I love being outdoors and seeing something different everyday
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:48 AM

I've been fortunate to be able to schedule my work around the weather most of my life. Inclement weather at some point lowers outside work productivity. Lower productivity lowers profit. It makes sense to do office work during inclement weather if possible. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
[Linked Image]

That one was for the dollars
To many ropes for that $$$$$$$$

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

Can’t repair Muscle Cars outside…..so Iam inside

NOS? Looking at the lines on the hood guessing not
Shim baby sim

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:12 AM

Cowl was just sitting there Vinke….all aftah Maahket paahts. Had to shim..mig weld, metal file..massage with the spoon and some lead…to make it all fit …for those gap guys. These Camaros and GTOs , and Road Runners didn’t fit for Crap from the factory.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:22 AM

Looking at the door I could see grinding to match. Was hopping you were not done.
Car was wrecked?
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:33 AM

I'm retired from a mostly inside job. Now I farm. Outside 1/2 the time unless it's nasty then, I'm outside an hour and a half and work in the garage the rest of the day.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Cowl was just sitting there Vinke….all aftah Maahket paahts. Had to shim..mig weld, metal file..massage with the spoon and some lead…to make it all fit …for those gap guys. These Camaros and GTOs , and Road Runners didn’t fit for Crap from the factory.

But they do if you want to sell at the Scottsdale BJ actions for the money

First two days are amazing what you can sell for 24 g

And how much? I need car for next year’s action?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:42 AM

Worked outside all my life.Summer heat winter cold.Loved it all.Had a summer job inside once when I was 15-spent all the time looking at the clock so I could get outside.Quit that one and got a summer job with an outfitter guiding fishermen up on the Pierre lake chain.best summer job ever for a kid.
Who in heck would want to waste their life inside 40 hours a week for 35 years?
Posted By: Kev56

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:44 AM

Worked as a telephone company lineman and cable splicer for 40 years before I retired. I miss the work but not the hot summers and cold winters in NY State!
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:44 AM

I'm a concrete pump operator. Outside all day every day all year round
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 11:56 AM

For the first thirty years or so I did nearly all outside work in new construction; houses, additions, decks, excavation, foundations, flat work, roofing, etc. About ten years ago I shifted towards remodeling so now about half my work is inside.

Roofing in 90+ degree temps and high humidity ain't as much fun as it used to be. Neither is working in the teens with howling wind. But days I'm trapped in the office catching up on the endless paperwork remind me that I'd never be able to that type of job for very long.

Those wonderful bluebird days of spring and fall make up for the excesses of the other seasons.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 01:06 PM

25 years AFL-CIO, Hod-Carrier. New Gov. and Municipal buildings mostly. If you got a roof on it before winter then inside, hopefully make it till Thanksgiving. Then layoffs till spring thaw. Time to hunt n trap. Then back to finish degree, spent next 13 years 60/40% govt. office job. Blew up like a balloon. But it's been a good life. Lots of regrets but wouldn't change it for anything. Stay outside you'll live longer, but you'll be broke down.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:16 PM

Worked outside my whole life. Started delivering papers at 15. When I was 16 I started drying cars at car wash. Worked in landscaping and government. All outside. Only weather that bothered me was those cold rains and the very hot, humid summer days. Retired in November. Still have to be doing something outside mostly everyday. And I do have some aches and pains as a result.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 02:51 PM

Worked outside for around 25 years.
Indoor now for 3 more years.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/12/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke
Looking at the door I could see grinding to match. Was hopping you were not done.
Car was wrecked?

The guy was driving home at night..from the last car show in October....and hit a deer or the deer hit him. Used AMD aftah market parts.. and was told they were as good as it gets. Well they suck. This was an insurance job...through one of them companies like Hagerty. I had to pull out my 45 years of experience to make this one fit...and color match....cut and buff ,so you could shave in it. Customer said it looked better than when he bought it ,2 years ago. I just smiled.

Re: Outside jobs ? - 01/13/22 12:35 AM

^^^^ nice^^^^
Sold a 68 a bj Scottsdale. My kid came the next day and I was showering him the car ( one I bought for the action)

Telling him about the lines
Front bumper was 8th off, and I look back and the buyer is sitting there

The Scottsdale action you can sell trash on the first two days
Better bring a game on Saturday

( not saying this car you restored is trash)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums