Home

making chilli

Posted By: seniortrap

making chilli - 01/12/22 05:36 PM

The other day I got the idea of making some chilli to put up and have for awhile.

So here I started:
Black beans, Pinto's in Chili with 50/50 Venison/beef hamburger cooked. Add some onion, celery, corn and chili sauce.

Cook the meat brown in a pan. Pour off the grease.. Throw the meat in crock pot with the beans and all. Add some garlic salt and regular black pepper and green peppers. Add in some beef broth and about 8-10 ounces of sweet red wine.

Leave it in the crock pot for 4-5 hours on high. Then 2-3 hours on low.

Scope out a bowl and enjoy. You may have to add a little water. The beans suck it up fast.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 06:27 PM

Sounds good. Definitely chilli time of the year
I like mine kinda spicy so I always throw in a handful of hot peppers
Posted By: waggler

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 06:44 PM

I had a guy from Texas scoff at me once when I mentioned putting beans in chili, he said chili just has meat in it. I said, "then why do they sometimes specify "chili con carne" (chili with meat)?" In other words; if anything, chili with meat is the exception.
Regardless, his "chili" without beans sucked. It was just a thick spicy meat sauce, terrible texture.
"
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 07:53 PM

I put diced tomatoes or salsa in my chili too.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 07:59 PM

When you develop a recipe or type of food ie; chili you get to make up the ingredient list. In the case of chili the Mexicans/ Texacans developed the dish Chili consists of peppers,red or green with or without meat. I have eaten over a hundred pounds/gallons of chili texmex style, chili verde, and chilli Colorado both of which are Mexican dishes and not one bean. Chili Verde is green usually with
Pork.Chill Colorado is red usually with beef. Just chilli is nothing more than the peppers in gravy.
Saying that it should have beans in it is like a Texan saying to an Italian spaghetti should have beans in it.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 07:59 PM

There are hundreds for recipes and variations of each of those for chili. I have a recipe that calls for a lot of various ingredients and I make about 10-11 quarts per batch an a batch each month from November-March and maybe April if it is still cold. I am using mutton and venison as the meat source. I use about 6-6.5 quarts of my own canned tomato products, plus a lot of kidney and black beans.

Bryce
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
When you develop a recipe or type of food ie; chili you get to make up the ingredient list. In the case of chili the Mexicans/ Texacans developed the dish Chili consists of peppers,red or green with or without meat. I have eaten over a hundred pounds/gallons of chili texmex style, chili verde, and chilli Colorado both of which are Mexican dishes and not one bean. Chili Verde is green usually with
Pork.Chill Colorado is red usually with beef. Just chilli is nothing more than the peppers in gravy.
Saying that it should have beans in it is like a Texan saying to an Italian spaghetti should have beans in it.

so then noodles are a no for you ?

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

so then noodles are a no for you ?

laugh

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:14 PM

Then why specify "chili con carne"?
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:20 PM

The best chili recipe we found has Campbells tomato soup added to it.

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:22 PM

If you look at my post you will see the chili can come with or without meat. Con carne literally means ( with meat)
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 08:30 PM

Texans are smart people. They leave out the beans because they're already full of gas.

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 09:25 PM

I think a common misunderstanding is northern folks think of chili as the added ingredients. When it is the chilli themselves that make up the base. I am not talking about the small peppers like jalapeños or habinaros but the large fleshy 7”x 2”Chili think chili releano (sp)
Some people put macaroni in Texas style chilli and call it chilimac. I think that was referred to above.
The bottom line is the “soup” called chili evolved from a peasants bowl that could have any type of meat and other addons like potatoes and onions. Beans are usually served separate as whole or mashed as refried as a main course.
Meats to include but not limited to beef pork goat sheep rabbit birds snake armadillo possum and coon. Hence the con carne. But the one constant is the peppers themselves not as a seasoning but the main ingredient .
The cultural equivalent in China would be chow mein or low mein depending on if the noodles are fried or boiled.

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 09:55 PM

^^^^^^
Now that makes sense; chili refers to the chilis.
Sounds like everything or anything else is in addition to the "chili".

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 10:10 PM

Yep
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 10:10 PM

Texas chili bean soup was stole from Creoles. Creoles make it with rice instead of beans and call it jambalaya. When a Mexican, or some of those Spanish speaking Americans whose families were here before TX AZ NM and CO were part of America make chili it is like what cmcf described. I like jambalaya but I prefer it with rice instead of beans.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: making chilli - 01/12/22 10:12 PM

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/31848/jambalaya/
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: making chilli - 01/13/22 03:01 PM

I like jambalaya but I prefer it with rice instead of beans

There's another dish I like with a little spice from liquid hot pepper sauce.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums