Home

Question: Outboard threw a rod...

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:06 AM

I've got a Yamaha 15 short shaft and it apparently threw a rod today on the river. Can something like that be fixed or do I need to go shopping for a new motor.

Thanks for those mechanically inclined and your good advice.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:08 AM

it can be fixed but it may cost as much as a used one. But todays 7% inflation(lol according to joe) who knows
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:11 AM

Call Mark’s Mercs in Salem. If it’s fixable he’ll be able to tell you and a good shop to get it fixed.

Owl

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:23 AM

It is dang hard to find a used short shaft in the HP I need. We will see. Thanks Spotted, I'll give them a call.
Posted By: Mirage243

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:31 AM

Did it kick a hole in the side of the block?

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:36 AM

No.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 01:38 AM

Just curious, how old, 2 stroke or 4?
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 02:02 AM

Prolly won't be worth fixing unless you can get a donor motor for parts.

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 02:08 AM

4 stroke. I think it's a 99 I bought it in 2010 and it had less than 50 hrs on it then.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 10:43 AM

I think you should put an electric motor on it.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 11:46 AM

In this country I think a new 15hp 4 stroke would run well north of 2 grand maybe 3? I’d look hard at finding a fix.

Osky
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 11:59 AM

You say it "threw a rod"

Are you mechanically inclined?
What makes you think it is a rod?

If you have limited experience or mechanical ability take it to a shop and let them diagnose, could be something easily fixable or at least cheaper than a thrown rod.

If it did throw a rod you will need a block and some more parts I would imagine once it is torn down and assessed

Here is a link to parts (quick google search) find part(s) you need if you can verify problem and parts needed for repair.
Once you have part numbers, search by part number for best prices.
That is what I do when working on truck, ATV,tractor, etc. Have not worked on boat motor in a long time
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 12:07 PM

I once bought a parts saw that was "locked up".
The starter rope was tangled around the recoil.
Only bad news was I still needed a part for the original.

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BTLowry
You say it "threw a rod"

Are you mechanically inclined?
What makes you think it is a rod?

If you have limited experience or mechanical ability take it to a shop and let them diagnose, could be something easily fixable or at least cheaper than a thrown rod.

If it did throw a rod you will need a block and some more parts I would imagine once it is torn down and assessed

Here is a link to parts (quick google search) find part(s) you need if you can verify problem and parts needed for repair.
Once you have part numbers, search by part number for best prices.
That is what I do when working on truck, ATV,tractor, etc. Have not worked on boat motor in a long time

Nope, I am not mechanically inclined. I talked to service dept managers at two different marinas and one of them said it sounded like that to him, but nobody knows until they take a look at it today.
A big concern is I have 34 traps out on the river that I need to get to so time is of the essence.
I was just trying to get an idea for maybe what i might be up against.
As far as prices go short shaft outboards 15's or 20's are hard to find used around here. I saw a Suzuki Short Shaft 15 for sale on craigslist for $1500 about 90 miles away from where I live. Might be an option.

Thanks for your comments BT

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 05:16 PM

Just got a call from the service dept. Cracked block. The parts and labor would be over $2000 so it looks like I'm looking for another outboard.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 06:05 PM

Prayers sent!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 09:37 PM

Call outboard exchange
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 09:46 PM

Not to turn this into a covid thread but;
Most of the small lodges in Canada that have motors are using the 15 Yami's if they are on small lakes and every 2 nd year they send them back to the dealers and ship up new ones. but because they have not been used much in the last 2 summers the lodges are holding onto them now because of little use.
Always helpful to know some of the mechanics as they go through them as they could spot the gems.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/13/22 11:00 PM

To the OP ,

Some tips when hunting for another outboard.

If you are having problems finding a short shaft engine , consider a long shaft engine the same as yours and swap the lower unit from your blown engine if that may open up your search a bit.

Also , some 10hp & 15hp engines are almost the same with the only difference being the carburetor.

So if you find a 10hp long shaft engine on the cheap , you can turn it into a 15hp short shaft with the parts you already have. Opens up your options a bit.

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 06:00 AM

I ended up buying a Suzuki 15 on craigslist for $1500. We will see how that goes.

Many thanks for the thoughtful ideas you guys came up with. Really appreciate it.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 08:56 AM

If your operating in freezing conditions at night, we usually run the Moter out of the water for a minuet to drain it. Freezing the water jacket can crack it. Also frozen impeller so not going to get water and overheat.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 12:36 PM

Usually them older yammys run forever, you did good with getting a zuki, hear they are a great motor too.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 01:36 PM

It can be a pita, but in real cold weather I take small outboards inside over night.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I ended up buying a Suzuki 15 on craigslist for $1500. We will see how that goes.

Many thanks for the thoughtful ideas you guys came up with. Really appreciate it.

Good job! Now go find another one. Then you will have two. I won't explain why you should have two.
Posted By: canecutter

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 02:14 PM

I think you will like the Zuke . I bought a new 15 hp short shaft in 2015 . I have run it hard in these swamps and rivers without any issues . And it sips the gas .
Nothing against Yami`s at all , but this little Zuke has impressed me .

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Good job! Now go find another one. Then you will have two. I won't explain why you should have two.

Dirt, I try to trap beavers for a profit. I'm already doing good if my haul of flat tails this season pays for all the breakdowns. Didn't mention my boat trailer lost bearings on one side a week ago. LOL
My back up motor as it stands is a 9.8 Sea King. That's what i ran the river with yesterday afternoon. Purty slow go upstream with a boat full of beaver.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 03:26 PM

Hard to kill the old Sea kings. "Cant bust em with a hammer"!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Question: Outboard threw a rod... - 01/14/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Dirt, I try to trap beavers for a profit. I'm already doing good if my haul of flat tails this season pays for all the breakdowns. Didn't mention my boat trailer lost bearings on one side a week ago. LOL
My back up motor as it stands is a 9.8 Sea King. That's what i ran the river with yesterday afternoon. Purty slow go upstream with a boat full of beaver.

Didn't know you had backup. Never mind. I have a land boat (trailer) for my ocean boat. Bearing went out last year and the brakes started on fire. Those are hard to put out. Almost burned up the whole works . Too bad, it would probably would have been cheaper than continuing to own the boat and land boat.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums