Home

Ford Trucks Suck !

Posted By: Nessmuck

Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:10 AM

I am working on a 2017 Ford F-150 today. I had to remove a wheel to gain access to make a repair. I ruined all 6 lug nuts …because they would not come out of the socket. And God forbid you get a flat in one of these Turds. The factory lug wrench won’t even fit on the lug nuts…..and even if you got it on….you cannot get the lug nut out of that factory lug wrench. So I did a little googling…..and it seems like a big Nope Up from Ford….You Ford truck ownahs have been warned……..
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:16 AM

Lol

GM fan here
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:17 AM

Need ya one of these. Thats a common issue on every vehicle that comes in our shop that has lug nuts with the cheap pressed on chrome cap, heck we even have 19.5, 21.5, and 22.5 millimeter sockets and sometimes they wont fit.

Posted By: nt2

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:21 AM

I have a 2013 and found out last Spring I had swollen nuts on my truck. When I had oil change, they informed me they could not rotate tires because of it. Ford had the problem for several years and they dodged doing a recall. They offered to replace all 24 of them for $239.00! Great people! As you did, google told me the whole story. I replaced with after market for a fraction of what they wanted.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:26 AM

One word - TOYOTA.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Computer Hater
One word - TOYOTA.

As long as you only need a half ton or smaller.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:30 AM

Don't have that trouble with my Chevy truck smile
Posted By: cotton

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:31 AM

my ford has steel nuts
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:33 AM

X2
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:42 AM

I bet they saved $5 using those cheap lugnuts on that overpriced vehicle.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:44 AM

My 1979 f 150 tires come off just fine, and I can do almost anything with a simple tool box. Only chrome on the truck is the knobs on the radio. Not a single computer anywhere. 69,000 original one owner miles.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by CaseXX
My 1979 f 150 tires come off just fine, and I can do almost anything with a simple tool box. Only chrome on the truck is the knobs on the radio. Not a single computer anywhere. 69,000 original one owner miles.

You have to use the truck to talk about how great it is. That must have been a drive to church only truck.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:52 AM

Toyota Tacoma and if needed a Honda UTV will make life on the trapline much simpler, Grass Hopper. (Remember the movie Karate Kid?)

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:52 AM

I do use it how do you think I got 69000 miles on it. Who says I have to use it to talk about it? I can talk about it if I want.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:54 AM

You won't have that trouble with a Chevy. You can replace blown motors with the tires on the truck.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:56 AM

That's the stupid nonbinary non mechanically inclined skinny Jean wearing oily beard hipster engineers fault. Auto engineers must be intoxicated while working. I swear some of the stuff they design makes you swear in languages you didn't know.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:56 AM

Dodges have the same problem. Beat the socket on with a hammer, beat the nut out of the socket with a punch

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:57 AM

I do use it how do you think I got 69000 miles on it. Who says I have to use it to talk about it? I can talk about it if I want.

Thats 2 years 3 at the most driving for me. wink I love those trucks. I should have got my uncles at the auction. 4x4 and 32k miled one owner. But rusted and had not run in years.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:59 AM

Hay providence farm please jump down to the chat forum for a sec.
Posted By: marsupial magnet

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 03:11 AM

I have a 2019 f350. The lugnut come off easily on it but it requires a sledgehammer to get the wheels off.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 03:19 AM

Ha, doesn't suprise me, they expect you to throw away your truck when the tires wear out and go buy a new vehicle.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 03:43 AM

My nuts have not swollen. F250 2015 4x4. No chrome on my nuts. A four way is not deep enough to fully grasp my nuts. Just rotated the tires myself and my nuts were good.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton
My nuts have not swollen. F250 2015 4x4. No chrome on my nuts. A four way is not deep enough to fully grasp my nuts. Just rotated the tires myself and my nuts were good.

Your lucky …maybe it’s where you live ..no salt on the Wintah roads….you don’t to deal with swollen nuts.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:07 AM

Yea spend 60 grand then have to buy a tool to change the tired
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

You have to use the truck to talk about how great it is. That must have been a drive to church only truck.

1600 miles a year,,whats that like 30 miles a week,, 4 1/2 miles a day ,I walk further than that.LOL
Posted By: waggler

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:21 AM

What took you so long to figure this out?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:35 AM

interesting here they call the half size up lug nut sockets the dodge set

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-5-P...ut+sockets&qid=1642048427&sr=8-2

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by marsupial magnet
I have a 2019 f350. The lugnut come off easily on it but it requires a sledgehammer to get the wheels off.

anti seize , is your friend

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:42 AM

it is about everything these days

a bunch of them now have plastic oil pans with a plastic drain plug

so you don't shatter your oil pan when you hit a snow drift they have a plastic cover that has to be removed with 4 8mm bolts to access the drain plug
Posted By: bluegrassman

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Computer Hater
One word - TOYOTA.

lol some toyotas have those type lug nuts too.

they all do!!!!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:46 AM

That’s why you slide a 4way lug wrench under the seat when you bring your truck home
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84
Need ya one of these. Thats a common issue on every vehicle that comes in our shop that has lug nuts with the cheap pressed on chrome cap, heck we even have 19.5, 21.5, and 22.5 millimeter sockets and sometimes they wont fit.

I have this kit. It removes any lugnut regardless of size. Removes locking lugnuts that the key is missing , rounded off ones , rusty misshapen ones , internal spline drive and custom 5 sided anti- theft ones.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The inside of these have a left handed thread with a taper and it is knerled. It grabs the outside and locks tight as the more you spin it with an impact gun the tighter it gets. Removes any lugnut in seconds. I've removed dozens of Dodge lug nuts with the crappy fake cover with them.

And people wonder why mechanics charge a good buck , we have to buy all these crazy speciality tools to overcome crap that the factory makes to save a buck.
Posted By: bluegrassman

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:48 AM

i fight with those type lug nuts daily. on all makes and models

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:50 AM

the reality is they all have one reason or another that they suck now

it's almost like their are working on lowering your expectations for when you have to go EV

I think there is going to be a big market for rebuilt early 2000s trucks
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 06:03 AM

My 2019 F-350 Super Duty has stainless steel nuts.
A bit of anti-seize on each stud and where the rim contacts the hub. No problems.
And by the way, Ford trucks do not suck.
My first Ford truck was a very used 1931.
Many Fords in my lifetime including trucks, SUVs, tractors, farm machinery, and a motor home.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 11:54 AM

I owned one Ford in my life, there probably won't be another. Google the motor problems that independent Ford mechanics discuss. And don't forget that short lived water pump on the 3.5L V6 they use in many of the SUV's.

I won't even mention the 5.4L 3V and timing chain issues that everyone will eventually deal with.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:14 PM

I can relate to this-first time I rotated my tires I used 8# splitting maul(flat end) to get those aluminum wheels off!!!
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
That’s why you slide a 4way lug wrench under the seat when you bring your truck home

Yep my dad made me do that since 1972!!
Posted By: Denny Russell

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:20 PM

I think the problem with those thin metal nuts is made much worse by using a impact gun on them which beats out the corners thinner. As the metal expands, the metal cover expands until the normal size socket will not fit. I break all lugnuts by hand and remove with impact if handy. I reinstall by seating nuts with the impact and tighten by hand. If the nuts are already boogered, I replace with solid nuts .
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
I owned one Ford in my life, there probably won't be another. Google the motor problems that independent Ford mechanics discuss. And don't forget that short lived water pump on the 3.5L V6 they use in many of the SUV's.

I won't even mention the 5.4L 3V and timing chain issues that everyone will eventually deal with.

Probably would've had a better experience if u would have gotten a 5.0L V8. Love mine so far ('17)
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

I can relate to this-first time I rotated my tires I used 8# splitting maul(flat end) to get those aluminum wheels off!!!

A couple tips for next time or others that experience this is what happens to dissimilar metals together ( steel/aluminum/stainless) will bond over time , locking the wheel to the hub.

Try this - crack all the lugnuts loose but only back them off a couple turns ( mostly still all the way on the stud) , using a hydraulic floor jack , drop it fast to the ground. Alternative method loosen lugnuts like above , then with all wheels on ground and no jack , kinda do a hard mini type burnout for a split second to snap them loose. Again , you must have the lug nuts almost all the way installed to do this , just loosened a few threads.

Anti seize the contact points when re-installing.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:39 PM

Good tip Cragar. I have also had luck rocking the car side to side with the lug nuts cracked loose to pop the wheels off.

Anti seize does not belong on lug nuts or studs. It acts as a lubricant and can lead to massive over torque of the lug nut, even if a torque wrench indicates correct torque. This can lead to damaged lug nut or stud threads and cracked lug studs. All bad.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:43 PM

Won't be giving my Ford truck up. It is all I have ran for over 30 years.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 12:50 PM

I had Swollen Nuts last year- it's not as debilitating as it sounds!
During a routine tire rotation- I replaced all of them at the advice of my local and trustworthy shop- the mechanic said you'll never get a wrench on them in the future if you need to change a tire. I believe the OEM nuts are a two-piece design... sounds like a design problem.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:33 PM

No lug nut issues on my 89, 93, or 99 cummins powered trucks whistle quit buying new trucks and expecting them to be quality! They don't make them like they used to

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
No lug nut issues on my 89, 93, or 99 cummins powered trucks whistle quit buying new trucks and expecting them to be quality! They don't make them like they used to

Must be nice to live somewhere where the frames don't rust to pieces in 10-15 years. This new brine salt solution they use here is nasty stuff.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:39 PM

you're right, it is very nice lol

The 99 has spent its fair amount of time in the salt due to trips to MN, MI, KS, NE, MS etc and it shows. I've kept the frame pretty clean but had to replace the floor pans and rockers this past summer. Ready for another 500,000 now

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:42 PM

If I owed a 2017 Ford F-150 and had a flat on the side of the road …and I found out my factory lug wrench would not fit ovah the lug nuts….or I couldn’t get the lug nut out of the wrench….I think I would be so (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off …I’d put a match to it right there.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:55 PM

I think it was mostly on the F-150 with the lugnuts. I had this problem and used a flat screw driver and hammer to pry off the covers, then used a metric socket, can not remember the size. Also anti-seize on the hub is crucial.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:58 PM

Same with my 2015 Silveraydo. Great concept for a cast aluminimumum wheel!

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
If I owed a 2017 Ford F-150 and had a flat on the side of the road …and I found out my factory lug wrench would not fit ovah the lug nuts….or I couldn’t get the lug nut out of the wrench….I think I would be so (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off …I’d put a match to it right there.

with that Magnesium dash you don't even need a match

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

a little anti seize saves so much of that pounding , it has been an issue with aluminum rims for 30+ years as soon as we started seeing them
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:04 PM

I shall get summa dat Pete.......goot idear..

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:22 PM

I shall get summa dat Pete.......goot idear..

you may also want to wire wheel or scotch-brite pad off the corrosion first then any where aluminum rim touches di-similar metal a little anti seize brushed on

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:42 PM

I bet the lug nuts on that new electric f150 won't have this problem
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:52 PM

The cure is to buy twenty sockets that fit, and drive them on……and leave them on! lol. Chrome lugnut covers to boot. grin

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
The cure is to buy twenty sockets that fit, and drive them on……and leave them on! lol. Chrome lugnut covers to boot. grin

THAT is pure genius smile

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

THAT is pure genius smile

That’s the kinda thinking that got us where we are in this country! lol

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 03:06 PM

maybe a little less expensive https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2017,f-150,5.0l+v8,3436063,wheel,lug+nut,7676

you know it is sort of interesting we buy a new rifle and half the time the first thing we do is toss the factory scope mount and get a better one , if it came with a cheap scope toss that and get a good one , pull the sling swivels and put in 1 1/14 swivels and epoxy them in place
pull the action and glass bed it in the stock.

go through all the screws and add lock tite

clean it , then run barrel break in , then clean the copper

but on other products we just expect to turn the key and take it for oil changes every 5K

just by the nature of things we should expect that a significantly more complex tool might have some cheap parts and maintenance that should be replaced and done , but the manufacture likes to sell "maintenance free" I think that Maintenance free anything = more failure prone.

I guess you would hope that 60K for a truck would cover that but it doesn't seem too

sort of surprising there are not vehicle enthusiast sites that are constantly logging every issue and documenting the fix , maybe there are or maybe that many people have been convinced they shouldn't work on their vehicle

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 04:24 PM

[/quote]
1600 miles a year,,whats that like 30 miles a week,, 4 1/2 miles a day ,I walk further than that.LOL [/quote]

So what? Big deal, you walk 4 1/2 miles a day.

Wait, here's a thought. I drive 1000 miles then stay there. Then do that 69 times, until I buy another truck, of which I have 4.
1 179000 miles
2 139000 miles
3 62000. Miles
4 69000 miles
Also V twin bike 560 miles.
Get back in your hi-chair kid I got socks older than you.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 05:27 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is what they look like aftah you punch them out of the socket. ...I really like Lees fix....just leave all the sockets on...lol

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 05:34 PM

[Linked Image]

Lee.....your a smaaht fellah....I bet the customer gives me a tip....when he picks up the truck ,this afternooon !

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 05:36 PM

That's a $1,000 upgrade if those are snap-on sockets.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 05:39 PM

5 are snap-on...and 1 Mac ...lol

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 05:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Lee.....your a smaaht fellah....I bet the customer gives me a tip....when he picks up the truck ,this afternooon !

That's to cool, are you really gonna do that? I think your joking.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 06:08 PM

5 are snap-on...and 1 Mac ...lol

950 then

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 06:10 PM

Just one more reason I like buying stripped down work trucks. Steel wheels and old fashioned lug nuts.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 06:31 PM

Same with my 2007 Dodge Dakota.I got a flat one night on Adams Trail,in between Grand Marais and Munising in the middle of nowhere here in the U.P.,and my passenger and I took turns lying on our backs and kicking the tire for well over an hour before it came off.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 07:49 PM

Just one more reason I like buying stripped down work trucks. Steel wheels and old fashioned lug nuts.

X 2!

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

X 2!

They are pre dented also.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 08:12 PM

Haha, Nessy, them ain’t all chrome, he will prolly complain! lol. Just go back here to see if we rectified the problem, looks like it was in good hands!

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 09:19 PM

Haha, Nessy, them ain’t all chrome, he will prolly complain! lol. Just go back here to see if we rectified the problem, looks like it was in good hands!

[Linked Image]

Lee.....found just the ticket ...a quick coat...and I think it will be just fine !

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/13/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

X 2!

crank windows , rubber floor mats , bench sears , manual locks that is my truck
Posted By: Ole

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 04:00 AM

2013 F150 with tires rotated every 5k by Schwab. As far as I know they have never had to replace any lug nuts and they haven't mentioned any problems.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 04:14 AM

Had a flat tire today and I spent entirely too long trying to determine if the nuts were swelling. How does salt swell the nuts?
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 10:19 AM

[Linked Image]

Wait a minute....3/8 drive mixed in with 1/2 drive?? Is that the lock feature? No good hood rat carries both. They don't steal tires much anymore, much easier to carry a battery sawzall and swipe the cat converter! Easier to carry too!!
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 10:37 AM

.3/8 drive mixed in with 1/2 drive??

Redneck balancing.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 01:00 PM

I bet if you gathered up guys who would by a 1 ton dually with a diesel motor the minute Toyota rolled of the line it would look like a Trump train and nothing like a Biden rally.

Before I got the Toyota Tundra I have now I was a Ford man and I had to deal with steel spark plugs eating threads out of an aluminum head and another time raising the cab to deal with a turbo problem. Both times I sounded more like Teeter than I sounded like RIP or Lloyd.

My boy is on his 3rd Dodge in a little over 3 years. The first one cost him a tranny and rear end almost as soon as he bought it. The 2nd one was even worse but to its credit when he rolled it in middle of the night the airbags saved him and he didn't have a scratch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 01:28 PM

Wait a minute....3/8 drive mixed in with 1/2 drive?? Is that the lock feature? No good hood rat carries both. They don't steal tires much anymore, much easier to carry a battery sawzall and swipe the cat converter! Easier to carry too!![/quote]
You have not been to New York city recently. LOL.
Posted By: run

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 01:33 PM

My friend had this problem on his Toyota Avalon. The wheels may have been aftermarket. It's an old high mileage car.

Re: Ford Trucks Suck ! - 01/14/22 01:40 PM

I remember Vogue wheels would have a steel bolt holding a plastic cover over the lug nuts (center cap). The steel bolt would corrode into the aluminum wheel. So we would smash the plastic center cap only to discover there were locking lug nuts underneath that. So we would have to remove the locking lug nuts, the key was never in the vehicle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums