Home

OMG! What is with these Coyotes???

Posted By: Canvasback2

OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 07:02 AM

shocked First, they went after my Neighbor's Dog, Now, the Pack just tried to get into my fenced in Backyard to get at my old Black Lab!!! I just let my Dog out, while I went to get the clothes in from the Dryer. 2 minutes after I let my Dog out, a WHOLE LOT OF LOUD YIPPING AND BARKING could be heard from the Creek down below the backyard. Then, it got closer! The dang Coyotes were barking all the way up from the Creek, as they came running along the outside of my fenced in Backyard. One of them tried getting through the wood gate! My Dog took off towards the other side of the house, and one of the Coyotes took off and tried to get through the fence on the other side, where my Dog ran to. 1:40 in the Morning, and I am out there yelling at my Dog to get back in the house. All the while those dang Coyotes are trying to get into my backyard!

Finally got the old Boy in the house!

What the heck is going on?? Never heard of a pack of Coyotes circle a house and try to force their way into a fenced in yard WITH THE BACK PORCH LIGHTS ON!!!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 07:28 AM

What no gun to start shooting coyotes a .22 is all you need in this situation .
I've heard about this sort of thing out here in Montana out on different ranches.

Keep you're old dog safe I hope you can work something out sooner than later .
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 07:28 AM

That is pretty hardcore alright. Hormones must be raging.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 07:48 AM

Back in the late 80's or very early 90's, in the neighborhood I grew up in, Springdale, Ohio a suburb of Cincinnati, there were 9 dogs killed in their backyards by coyotes one year and 11 dogs the next. There was a large woods that ran around and behind the neighborhood for several miles. The city trapped 27 coyotes the first year and 52 coyotes the second year. The coyotes killed 7 dogs in just one day once. Most of the dogs killed were small, but some were labs and other large breeds. The coyotes just went down the line of houses that backed into the woods killing dog after dog the day they killed 7.

There was a nursing home on the North side of the woods, where the residents fed the coyotes. The residents called them wolves and named them. Most of the coyotes trapped were caught at the nursing home, both years, in just a few days. Most of the coyotes trapped the second year were pups.

Keith
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 09:27 AM

It's that time of year when things get REAL real for coyotes. I guess this band wants to other canines in their area for the denning cycle.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 10:16 AM

I was out running my husky one day and a female coyote came right up to the road and lured him off the road. He ran off with her over the hill. I did go get him back but it was really odd. I figured she was in heat. Your coyotes are either really hungry or really horny.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 10:56 AM

How come your not killing them?
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
How come your not killing them?

x2?

If they killed my neighbor's dog and I was a hunter/trapper I would already have traps out AND be ready to shoot one any time I was home (gun loaded and easily accessible)
Posted By: DWC

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 11:54 AM

These sound like yotes that would be real receptive to some challenge barks.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 12:37 PM

Shoot them
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 12:50 PM

I 2nd after the first dog i would have had traps out and out hunting them. Doing that to my dog in my yard the 12g would have been speaking.

Just saw your in NY maybe that has something to do with it. Even trappers in the left controled areas dont protect what theirs. Im guessing becuse regulations have you worried?
Posted By: newfox1

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 12:54 PM

Don’t you know a trapper????
Posted By: micheal

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 12:58 PM

Discourage them
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 01:03 PM

Nothing promotes trapping better than predator attacks on pets.

Sounds like your coyotes are going woke like them coyotes in California. Possible affects of Global warming. Lol
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 01:13 PM

Mating and denning seasons will have coyotes attempting to eliminate any other canines in the area. Domestic dogs are seen as competition.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 01:24 PM

It's Trumps fault.....
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 01:42 PM

And you"re doing nothing to protect whats yours? Im glad im not your dog.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 01:58 PM

I hope you Nail some!
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 02:02 PM

They’re gonna need killin !
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by newfox1
Don’t you know a trapper????

LOL
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 02:19 PM

It’s a good thing for them coyotes that me and son of Sam don’t live around there. He hates a coyote and generally bales in on em and breaks their necks with two shakes. Seen resting here after a tough night on patrol in the bush. Don’t know how many she dispatched last night but she is already crappin coyote hair. A certified killer I mean to tell ya. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 02:55 PM

12gauge with #4bk on first shot an 00bk on the next couple. I'd let the dog out an hide in shadow with a cold beverage.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 03:22 PM

[Linked Image]
My dog hates coyotes. He don't let much by the yard.

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 03:28 PM

laugh
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 03:33 PM

Kill a local one and hang it out by the dog pen...I had problems with them attacking my dog, called one up and ventilated it with a shotgun, then hung it upside down above a fence line near the dog pen to send a message.

No more problems for 2 yrs after that.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 03:58 PM

If you don't do SOMETHING to kill them they ARE going to kill your dog.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 04:09 PM

What kind of dog is that Matt 28?
Posted By: Matt28

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87

To be honest I don't know. My wife brought it home when it was a pup someone left it at her work with some dogs toys and his bed. At first I didn't want a stray pup, he has been a good dog. He likes to play fetch and jump on that trampoline.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matt28
Originally Posted by Arkansas87

To be honest I don't know. My wife brought it home when it was a pup someone left it at her work with some dogs toys and his bed. At first I didn't want a stray pup, he has been a good dog. He likes to play fetch and jump on that trampoline.

wow,,now thats a great find matt28

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 05:07 PM

Well I'd tie the dog out and sit watch with my 12ga.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Mating and denning seasons will have coyotes attempting to eliminate any other canines in the area. Domestic dogs are seen as competition.

True, but yotes mate in Feb-Mar and den in Apr-May, so that doesn't apply here.

Oct-Jan the pups are almost full grown and need the most food. That is likely the reason for what the OP is seeing. Most likely the yotes are struggling to get enough food for the pack and are trying to drive off competition. Less likely though possible is hungry enough to kill larger dogs for food.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 09:11 PM

Pm me with an offer of enough money and I will be there in few days to kill them for you
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

True, but yotes mate in Feb-Mar and den in Apr-May, so that doesn't apply here.

Oct-Jan the pups are almost full grown and need the most food. That is likely the reason for what the OP is seeing. Most likely the yotes are struggling to get enough food for the pack and are trying to drive off competition. Less likely though possible is hungry enough to kill larger dogs for food.

That's dependent on where you live. Breeding season is just beginning here now.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 10:11 PM

Time to get the trap's out huh
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/13/22 10:17 PM

So as I hear any noise I have a gun in hand in seconds and start taking names. If I dont like what I hear or suspect it can get real dicey.

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/14/22 03:33 AM

Anyone have small kids in your area? Just wait tell this spring when they are outside playing and one starts crying. That will be on the local news.. small kids sure do sound like a preditor call and I have seen specials where the yotes have grabed them on the playground. KILL THEM ALL.NOW they are to bold.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/14/22 04:39 AM

Here you would have callers with suppressors and thermal scopes lining up for a crack at them yotes.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/14/22 09:04 PM

Here too

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/14/22 10:09 PM

Any updates?
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/14/22 11:56 PM

Found where they are cutting through the field next to my Driveway. Got 2 Traps set between an opening in the Lilac Bushes. 1 3/4 2 Coil Duke, and a 2 1/2 Blake & Lamb. Lured both sets with some old Kishel's Crossbreed lure. Stuff still stinks. Will see how it goes. Not sure how the Duke trap is going to hold these Eastern Coyotes, but the old Blake & Lamb 2 1/2 trap should hold them good.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/15/22 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28
[Linked Image]
My dog hates coyotes. He don't let much by the yard.

That’s a cool photo and one ugly coyote.

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/15/22 01:24 AM

Oklahoma has a load of coyotes but not many purty ones

Re: OMG! What is with these Coyotes??? - 01/15/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
Oklahoma has a load of coyotes but not many purty ones

Looks as preaty as they can get to me. Dead one's are as good as it can get.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums