Home

Holy Sheep!

Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 06:48 AM

Just got in from the sale barn. I took three lambs and came back with a check for over a thousand bucks. grin
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 08:18 AM

I know and i love lamb chops on the grill.... guess itl be second best backstraps outta deer and antelope !!
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 09:15 AM

good for you on selling lambs high!! goats are even higher.!!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 09:19 AM

They sold crazy high at the county fair too.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
Just got in from the sale barn. I took three lambs and came back with a check for over a thousand bucks. grin


What kind of sheep do you have? What were they weighing? I might have to start hauling to Arkansas!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 01:23 PM


I assume you will be buyin a bunch of new traps right? That of course would be the smart play here.
whistle
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 01:26 PM

[Linked Image]

We have Oxfords here…..just a small outfit….lambing out 4 ewes,sometime in Feb.
Posted By: run

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 01:38 PM

Nice work, sheep farmers. I hope you are making money.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 01:46 PM

[Linked Image]

We raise hair sheep, mostly Katahdin or Katahdin cross. I have about 40 ewes that should lamb this spring, my dad has 20, and my uncle has 25
Posted By: badger

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 01:52 PM

Katahdins here also.
Actually had one stolen about a year ago. Cool looking brown/black mix. Goat looking.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
[Linked Image]

We raise hair sheep, mostly Katahdin or Katahdin cross. I have about 40 ewes that should lamb this spring, my dad has 20, and my uncle has 25


I'm seriously looking at getting some to utilize some small patches of grass and rotate through the pastures to help with the weeds.

Is anyone using electric fence with them and how hard are they to keep in? Are you using guard dogs with them?

Grandson has a bunch of goats but from what I've seen and read hair sheep seem to be a bit less trouble.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 02:18 PM

That's a Good check for 3
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 02:44 PM

We are over 3/4 of the way through lambing about 85 ewes now -- I have been watching the prices and hoping the will hold. Our local auction has been running over 3.00/lb for a few months now. Thought I did great last year at over 2.50 ave.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 03:15 PM

Okie I do have a dog that’s in there with them, have had some trouble with this particular dog so he is on a chain in there now, plan to get another dog or a donkey later this year to run with them. I just bought this farm from my grandparents this spring and am having to replace all the fences, I’m running woven wire fence. I know a guy that has a woven wire outer fence and then all of his inner cross fences are electric that he rotates them through.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 03:22 PM

Michael, good looking green hay. See your in Mo. what is it? Looks fine w/o stems. 3rd cutting? Pls.
Case.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 03:26 PM

Neighbor took 15, 88-90# lambs to the Wellington Colorado auction 2 weeks ago. $320 each. Plain ole Polypays.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 03:27 PM

My son had 8 head in his first online sale on Wednesday sold them for over $2000 per head average. High seller was$3750. He has 4 more going to an auction on Sunday and 50 ewes to lambs this spring.

https://sconlinesales.com/Bids/AuctionsListing/29354
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 04:14 PM

Case I’m feeding a combination of some 2nd cutting brome/clover mix and some 3rd cutting alfalfa

Monster we typically sell at about 60 pounds, we have a new sale barn that opened up I need to call and see what there preferred weights are
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
My son had 8 head in his first online sale on Wednesday sold them for over $2000 per head average. High seller was$3750. He has 4 more going to an auction on Sunday and 50 ewes to lambs this spring.

https://sconlinesales.com/Bids/AuctionsListing/29354

What breed? Those are golden sheep!
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:09 PM

Yeah this makes no sense. Any explanation for these prices?
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:18 PM

Those are all show sheep for 4h and jackpot shows . Hamps and cross . He has some really good genetics and flushes embryos out of a couple. He puts in a lot of time and money to be able to compete in the show industry.

Check out the link to his sell

https://sconlinesales.com/Bids/AuctionsListing/29354
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:21 PM

I am guessing those are show sheep at those prices
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:26 PM

club lambs -- yeah there is no real explanation.
Posted By: run

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:30 PM

The meat market for sheep is not too bad either, depending if you are close to the big East coast market.
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:37 PM

We took in 10 lambs in the 90 lb range in september and got 2.60 per pound. Looking forward to this years crop.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:59 PM

Congratulations on all the high prices. I had sheep 50 years ago. Continuation of my 4-H projects. Reading your prices I thought I was seeing misprints. Looks like a good time NOT to get into the sheep business.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 05:59 PM

I'm not sure there is a group looser with money than "show people". I would just shake my head when my dad would say what people(probably him) were buying/selling show lambs for....but, he loved it. He burnt me out on it as a kid traveling all over. My sister won the Missouri State Fair a few years back which was a cool highlight. Now all the kids are gone, and so are the sheep. It is crazy the amount of $$$ that is involved, but you can't take it with ya so might as well have fun with it I guess.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by btomlin
I'm not sure there is a group looser with money than "show people". I would just shake my head when my dad would say what people(probably him) were buying/selling show lambs for....but, he loved it. He burnt me out on it as a kid traveling all over. My sister won the Missouri State Fair a few years back which was a cool highlight. Now all the kids are gone, and so are the sheep. It is crazy the amount of $$$ that is involved, but you can't take it with ya so might as well have fun with it I guess.



You always know where those kids are at , the barn or the ring. Great family time
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 06:20 PM

I wouldn't call raising sheep having fun with money. They are called "grass maggots" for good reason.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 07:23 PM


Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Neighbor took 15, 88-90# lambs to the Wellington Colorado auction 2 weeks ago. $320 each. Plain ole Polypays.



Muslims take 90% of them around here
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/14/22 08:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up on show sheep. I was about to start my rustling career in earnest.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/15/22 01:12 AM

With sheep sales….the good ones stay in the barn….and the no so good one ,go for sale.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/15/22 01:15 AM

Not always there's no one to show any more so its all up for grabs
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Holy Sheep! - 01/15/22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Not always there's no one to show any more so its all up for grabs


Selling all your blood lines ? Rams too ?

Got some frozen ….I bet
© 2022 Trapperman Forums