Home

For those of you with trapline dogs

Posted By: kurtansky

For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 02:10 PM

I have a blue tick he just turned a year old and I took him with me to check traps for the first time yesterday for those of you that take dogs on your line do you notice their scent messing with anything or does it help mask your scent a bit? Also wondering if he decides to drop a deuce that would mess with things any training tips would also be appreciated he's young and it'll take time but I want him with me and he wants to be out there
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 02:16 PM

I have found that a dog adds a lot to the trapline, not just added catches its just more enjoyable. The" marking" can help find set locations I think it is a plus.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 02:51 PM

No disrespect intended, just my opinion on trap line dogs, grocery store dogs, farm store dogs, haircut dogs, feed store dogs, I think you get it. Moron goes with me as does my EDC piece. Every and again everywhere I go. If he don't go neither do I. To the trap line I think the positives outweigh any negatives.
Posted By: charles

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 03:07 PM

Watch what the dog smells. It can be helpful advice.
Posted By: Stanley

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 05:46 PM

I always have Annie, my Airedale with me. Very good listener , agrees with me. Knows where all the stops are at. Hates coons with a passion. Coyotes cower to her. Annie is my 4 th Airedale I've had on my trapline. Pulling in to set, I let her go, watch her. We work out a plan, I make sets. I do put her in the truck at trap setting time. She has the whole back seat to herself.

Start them all out as pups. Yes, they all have gotten there foot in a trap, it's a learning experience.

Stanley

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stanley
I always have Annie, my Airedale with me. Very good listener , agrees with me. Knows where all the stops are at. Hates coons with a passion. Coyotes cower to her. Annie is my 4 th Airedale I've had on my trapline. Pulling in to set, I let her go, watch her. We work out a plan, I make sets. I do put her in the truck at trap setting time. She has the whole back seat to herself.

Start them all out as pups. Yes, they all have gotten there foot in a trap, it's a learning experience.

Stanley

There you go, I just tell Moron to go set in his seat he'll watch from there, when I get out the 22 he goes without being told. He is the first of 3 to not be pinched, I think it's because he has seen enough coons, grinners, yotes, fox caught and he knows the trap is not good for him. He hates all critters and will kill all if given the chance. Last vet check 123 lbs. friendly with people if they are.

Edit for clarification, both other dogs did get pinched, Moron is the only one not to. His sire, Barron was, and he helped me teach his offspring. Now days Baron and Ava stay home with wife.
Case.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by kurtansky
I have a blue tick he just turned a year old and I took him with me to check traps for the first time yesterday for those of you that take dogs on your line do you notice their scent messing with anything or does it help mask your scent a bit? Also wondering if he decides to drop a deuce that would mess with things any training tips would also be appreciated he's young and it'll take time but I want him with me and he wants to be out there

Dog's scent doesn't mess anything up, adds to it if anything. Let them crap or pee wherever they choose, won't hurt a thing.

Best thing is to have a dog that listens well. I have 2 trapline dogs that go with me. I'll let them jump out as soon as I hit the pasture and they just follow or run ahead a bit. They'll see a coyote in trap and let me know. I don't let my dogs get aggressive with a trapped coyote. They are out the whole time from the point of dispatching to resetting the trap. Yes, they will eventually get pinched at least once but no big deal. Just a learning experience for them on what to avoid. Having dogs on the trapline can increase interest in you baited or lured sets and increase your catch rate.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 07:08 PM

I'm hoping he'll be a help to me, nice to have the companionship as my kids don't always want to go because there's not always something waiting there when i check traps apparently its not fun without instant gratification. For now I intend to keep him on a leash as he doesn't always want to listen and with him being a blue tick I don't feel like he'll start to mature until around the time he turns 2 next january
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 07:11 PM

Mine goes with all the time.
She isn't to fond of Bobcats.
Sits in my side by side then.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 07:31 PM

I got the sport dog book and collar highly recommend it---getting a new Airedale in two weeks---Pancho left with a coyote we caught the day he died. Can't not trap-----Can't not have a dog(Airedale)!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 07:54 PM

Gee whiz where's all the photos?
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 08:03 PM

I've got a blue lacy catahoula cross. Goes with me always. I watched her go up and down a trail with a log and 6" elevation change yesterday. I noticed where her feet fell both ways, set a trap in that exact spot and had a yote in it this morning. Works for me, another one we caught yesterday. [Linked Image]
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 08:11 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 09:15 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 11:00 PM

What is the purpose of dogs harassing animals in traps?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

I asked that question once. Run ! eek
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 11:39 PM

They aren't for harassing the coyote, they are a great tool in trapping coyote, I've had a dog most days on the line for 25 years
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/14/22 11:47 PM

I think dog's help more than they harm. [Linked Image]
Here she is keeping one busy .

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:04 AM

Thats unethical.The animal should be dispatched immediately or released.
Not sic your dog on it for entertainment.
That is totally against the Trappers code of ethics.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:18 AM

Hey bobo, if you ever had a dog, you would know that they enjoy a little entertainment. If you don’t reward your dog he won’t work for you, to some degree. I don’t let my dog chew or bite the critter, but she gets a lot of exercise running around that yote. Nothing unethical about it at all. Sure you don’t cary a peta card in your billfold?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:31 AM

I know a guy on here that posting a pic like this cost him a seat on a wildlife advisory committee if I remember the story correct. Good guy that I'm sure was a great representative for all trappers and hunters. I personally don't have issue with it but it can be viewed a little negative by the general public that are not educated on what's going on. Just a little food for thought.
Posted By: nate

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:49 AM

Boco
Some things may look worse than they are, my pup runs ahead of me and as she nears the coyote he postures up and or cows down but almost always quits fighting the trap. Then as I approach to dispatch the coyote keeps his eyes mostly on her while I dispatch then she's on him but at that point it's done.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:58 AM

I don't think any of the guys on here would be letting their dog attack the animals in the trap. It's only natural for the dog to get worked up and excited when it sees one caught, but the dogs aren't just for tracking animals caught using drags, finding signs that you aren't able to, and enticing animals with the scent they leave, they're apart of the family I don't see these guys here risking their dog getting injured by letting them attack coyote in a trap for a thrill, and let's be honest I don't think they'd get a thrill out of anything attacking whatevers in their trap. I didn't post the thread to hear your ideal on "ethics"
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by la4wd54
I've got a blue lacy catahoula cross. Goes with me always. I watched her go up and down a trail with a log and 6" elevation change yesterday. I noticed where her feet fell both ways, set a trap in that exact spot and had a yote in it this morning. Works for me, another one we caught yesterday. [Linked Image]

That's a beautiful Catahoula cross! Her and my Catahoula / blackmouth would make puppies people would tell stories about! Lol [Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:08 AM

Lol yep, thnks she's the best dog I've had in a long time.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by nate

Boco
Some things may look worse than they are, my pup runs ahead of me and as she nears the coyote he postures up and or cows down but almost always quits fighting the trap. Then as I approach to dispatch the coyote keeps his eyes mostly on her while I dispatch then she's on him but at that point it's done.

Boco, I respect your opinion but my dog is similar to Nates, does not harrie the trapped animal, keeps their attention on him till I get the pistol also has very strong protection drive. All of my GSD's are protection first play later. Would not own or breed or sell a dog that attacks without a command. I do agree that no animal or man should be harried while bound. My dogs "out" or "heel" on command or they are neutered and sold as pets to good homes.
Case.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Hey bobo, if you ever had a dog, you would know that they enjoy a little entertainment. If you don’t reward your dog he won’t work for you, to some degree. I don’t let my dog chew or bite the critter, but she gets a lot of exercise running around that yote. Nothing unethical about it at all. Sure you don’t cary a peta card in your billfold?

The name is Boco Epstein meyer
Posted By: bandy

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:26 AM

[Linked Image]
What case said .
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:35 AM

That's a nice coyote Travis. Is that the same dog you got about 8 years ago?

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:45 AM

Here's my girl!!

Attached picture 233.jpeg

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:48 AM

[Linked Image]
Yes here she is at a year and a half her frist full season on the line she turned her back on this coyote and he put a 4in gash in her back. They aren't helpless animals in a trap and the dog isn't there to torment them Zip is on the line to work.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by bandy
[Linked Image]
Yes here she is at a year and a half her frist full season on the line she turned her back on this coyote and he put a 4in gash in her back. They aren't helpless animals in a trap and the dog isn't there to torment them Zip is on the line to work.

Nice. I hate trapping in a pasture w horses. You're brave.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:55 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is the true coyote dog, little Abbie dog.
She is the "BOSS DOG"

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:57 AM

Nice pictures bandy, did you ever get to try the Coyote lure out?

BT them MT coyotes have lots of fur.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 02:51 AM

Hey nate no I was gonna start this month and my 4wheeler broke down so I'm waiting for parts hopefully the end of the month.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 02:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Oh ya on the river to poor beaver.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 02:59 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Loki's been pinched a few times, enough to know when it's best just to sit back and watch. Had a go round with a coyote early in his training and has alot of respect for them. Great companion and is starting to show me what's going on in the field. And since he's been riding with me I can honestly say that I have never been attacked by alligators or grizzly bears.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 03:02 AM

Who in their right mind would sick a dog on a fur bearer?
How can you sell it damaged.
The dogs bark, not attack the coyote, these aren't coyote hunting dogs that kill coyote.
Posted By: Machias

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 03:18 AM

This is Reaper, Jagd/Airedale/Donovan Pincher. He's 11 months old and is my trapline dog in training and will be used for decoying coyotes down the road.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 20scout

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 04:18 AM

Good looking pup Machias! Hope he works out for you.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 04:37 AM

The name is Boco Epstein meyer

That the best you can do? Quit acting like a karen!

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 04:45 AM

Listen Epstein-the creator didnt give you those animals to harass and use for entertainment.
You disrespect the animal you disrespect the creator and his gift.

Around here dogs harassing wildlife are shot.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 05:41 AM

Boco
I'm curious where you draw the line, a beagle running rabbits, a silent cur that catch's coons before they tree, a coyote hound running coyotes, or a working dog baying a critter.where do you draw the line between harassing and harvesting? Cable restraints versus snares versus foot traps? All seem to me to have there place. Once my pup gets to a trapped coyote or cat there's an easy feeling that critter stays there till I dispatch it, not often but a couple too many times I've had critters pull free as I approached them, but never when my pup gets there first.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 05:59 AM

Listen Epstein-the creator didnt give you those animals to harass and use for entertainment.

Not even close to harassment, all she does is bark at them sometimes they bark back, you are lying about us

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 12:16 PM

It's very easy to tell who knows about working dog's and who doesn't enuf said.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:25 PM

What do you think hobby trappers' believe? They do it for entertainment!

You have been on here how many years and haven't noticed this?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

What do you think hobby trappers' believe? They do it for entertainment!

You have been on here how many years and haven't noticed this?

Entertainment? Nah, I do it because I enjoy it.

I would assume you professional type trappers do it for the same reason. If you didn't enjoy it surely you would seek out some other source of reliable income that was more to your liking?

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:36 PM

There you go assumptin again!

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 01:54 PM

Sounds like a direct quote from the Minnesota rule book when I lived there 45+ years ago

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 02:53 PM

I depend on my dog to find the critter, a staked trap with an animal in it serves to reinforce that . I have taken lots of animals that my dogs treed/bayed while we were checking traps that weren't in a trap. I have a code, me and the dog know it and live by it. We don't need or want the Govt. or anyone else telling us how to live!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/15/22 03:07 PM

I take my dogs along only for the companionship. I'm skeptical of the often repeated claim that they will show you where to set. If I set every location they peed on I'd be out of traps by the second farm!

I enjoy having them along and they love it too. You should hear how excited they get when they see a fox bouncing around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 01:07 AM

You would really get your apron strings in a knot if you ever had the privilege to witness a pack of greyhounds taking down a coyote. Makes a dog barking at a trapped animal kinda look like a petting zoo. You shouldn't take life so seriously, no one gets out alive anyway.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 01:31 AM

[Linked Image]
This is zip looking at everyone that thinks she shouldn't be on the trap line like you have lost you mind. She is saying it with love of course.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 02:06 AM

[Linked Image]
This is zip looking at everyone that thinks she shouldn't be on the trap line like you have lost you mind. She is saying it with love of course.

I'm no dog whisperer but she looks to me like she is asking why you are screwing around taking pics instead of looking for more beaver. Lol

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 02:30 AM

Say the fella that doesn’t see that wildlife needs to be kept in check. To quote the quip on the cover of “The Fur Taker”, “The cruelest thing you can do to wildlife, is FAIL to manage it”. Those are words I live by!

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 02:49 AM

Say the fella that doesn’t see that wildlife needs to be kept in check. To quote the quip on the cover of “The Fur Taker”, “The cruelest thing you can do to wildlife, is FAIL to manage it”. Those are words I live by!

This ain't Kansas lee.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 03:18 AM

And this ain’t Alaska, Dirt! One size doesn’t fit all.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 03:38 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
She found it just around the bend.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I know a guy on here that posting a pic like this cost him a seat on a wildlife advisory committee if I remember the story correct. Good guy that I'm sure was a great representative for all trappers and hunters. I personally don't have issue with it but it can be viewed a little negative by the general public that are not educated on what's going on. Just a little food for thought.

extra food from Peska

" SOCIAL MEDIA
Pics and video are fine….keep in your on circle of friends ….be mindful to keep pics rated PG and tasteful…those less than tasteful pics are not helpful from a PR perspective for our industry. However regardless of how careful you think you are… pics you share invariably find there way into the hands of individuals who would use them against us to further infringe on our rights….basically you are providing ammunition for your opponent."

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 05:22 AM

[Linked Image]

I'm no dog whisperer but she looks to me like she is asking why you are screwing around taking pics instead of looking for more beaver. Lol

What kind of dog is that?

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 01:50 PM

1/2 blue healer 1/4 cur 1/4 Airedale she is unlike any dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing life with and there's many out there that can attest to that.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 04:10 PM

extra food from Peska

" SOCIAL MEDIA
Pics and video are fine….keep in your on circle of friends ….be mindful to keep pics rated PG and tasteful…those less than tasteful pics are not helpful from a PR perspective for our industry. However regardless of how careful you think you are… pics you share invariably find there way into the hands of individuals who would use them against us to further infringe on our rights….basically you are providing ammunition for your opponent."

Hiding what we do from the rest of the world gives them just as much ammunition if not more than sharing it. Every time you refuse to discuss dispatch or any other aspect of everyday life for a trapper it just tells the rest of the world you have things to hide and if you are hiding it then its most likely just as horrible as they think it is. Then thier imagination runs wild from there.
Posted By: TravC

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 09:03 PM

I use dogs just about everyday year round alot on drags they do a heck of alot more then bark at coyotes for me
They have a job they are working animals
If you take offence to that i cant help that you cant grasp a concept as simple as working dogs have a job to do as well and when useing drags its quicker easier and more efficient then just tracking a drag by sight my dogs cut that down to a quarter of the time and to recover wounded animals

you can continue to beleive you are gods gift to ethics or whatever your fancy is those of us that do this for more then a hobby could care less what some frozen rat choker in rubber boots and a catch pole stuck in his behind thinks in all honesty

I will continue to use my dogs to recover coyotes on drags decoy find sighn recover wounded animals etc when most hobby guys wouldnt invest the time money or work in there system to make sure they have a efficient ethical system even when staking fails my dogs can find the coyotes you probably never would find when stuff happens
Theres alot more reason to use dogs then just barking at coyotes

If you want to continue to be against it fine
But you have no clue what you are talking about

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 09:55 PM

Your the one with no clue,
There is a Huge difference using a dog for hunting and tracking wounded game than having one harassing a pinned trapped animal for your sick entertainment,and photo op,then posting it so antis can use it to sway public opinion against what we do for a living.The first thing an ethical trapper does is respect the animalls that are given to us.

Sad there are people so dumb out there that dont have the IQ to comprehend public perception and what it has done to cripple trapping.

Now shove that up your butt and smoke on it.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:05 PM

"After You See These Pictures, You’ll Return Your Canada Goose Jacket"

I wonder where they got them pictures? smile

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:09 PM

Like i said pull that catch pole out your butt its building gas allowing crappy thaughts hit your brain
You really don't have the slightest clue on the topic or why dogs are used
Ive fought for trapping harder then you fought for air with your head so far up your rat choking arse

I use dogs for revovery its one of there jobs one of many at that
You got some notion dogs are only used to bark at trapped animals
Thats your ignorance and lack of iq showing
Take your own advice

Now go pull that out of your butt and smoke it
If you are against pictures thats one thing but dont trash talk those of us who useworking dogs for a liveing
Not my fault your a rat choker
Go pee n moan at the houndsmen while your at it
Do you think they kiss lions or bears before they go up the tree or cone down?

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:12 PM

Well dirt

Probofly also from the trappers who keep trying to let the world think we dont exist
I dont recall i posted any pictures of my dogs

If you two want to be useful idiots go join the wildearth guardians they hire ex trappers to divide the ranks yall is doin a good job

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:14 PM

Your gums are flappin but nothing of any sense coming out.Working dogs in the North a way of life.You are clueless.
There is a reason you have to always fight a losing battle all the time for trapping down there.
Because you're braindead.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:23 PM

Look here taco
You do your thing choke rats whine on trapperman your killin it
You are a good example of destruction from within
You have no idea what we use dogs for speculate all you want you are a fine specimin of why we should use contraception

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:25 PM

10-4 Einstein.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:26 PM

I gotta go your mom said its dinner time
Posted By: sneaky

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 10:59 PM

Well, I see the canuck ethics board has weighed in. Guess everybody should get rid of their dogs. Trudeau's biggest fan thinks they're wrong.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/16/22 11:52 PM

Glad I'm not from up north next he will be saying cow dog's working in a pin separating cow is wrong you should do that in the pasture. God forbid they get stressed what about the poor sheep this has got to end before some animal gets it feeling hurt before it goes into the slaughter house. [Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 12:01 AM

Yeah, I looked up his real name, it’s loco instead of boco. What a karen!
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 12:16 AM

Yeah, I looked up his real name, it’s loco instead of boco. What a karen!

Funniest thing I’ve read all day, lol
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 12:20 AM

Maybe they just do things different up there on those lonely northern trap lines

[Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 02:22 AM

[Linked Image]
WWWWHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 02:22 AM

Excellent , this is getting good

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 02:41 AM

[Linked Image]
Ok I'm sorry now it the livestock harassing the trapped poor defenseless animals this has to end. What if someone gets ahold of this picture the livestock industry is finished. I think boco said they shoot animals that do this to trapped animals. I'm going now to stock up on beef there's going to be a shortage I just know it.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 03:09 AM

1/2 blue healer 1/4 cur 1/4 Airedale she is unlike any dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing life with and there's many out there that can attest to that.

Mine has aerdale, border collie, wire haired terrier

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 03:10 AM

Your the one with no clue,
There is a Huge difference using a dog for hunting and tracking wounded game than having one harassing a pinned trapped animal for your sick entertainment,and photo op,then posting it so antis can use it to sway public opinion against what we do for a living.The first thing an ethical trapper does is respect the animalls that are given to us.

Sad there are people so dumb out there that dont have the IQ to comprehend public perception and what it has done to cripple trapping.

Now shove that up your butt and smoke on it.

Again your are wrong, you don't have a clue

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 03:12 AM

[Linked Image]
WWWWHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT.

Yup!!

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 03:53 AM

That must be why coyotes come into a farmyard where the dog is barking it's head off!
They are so harassed they feel compelled to kill the dog, I guess the country people better get rid of the dogs
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 03:55 AM

CLM!
Posted By: wamp

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 11:06 AM

This started out real good then it went so far south it fell of the earth
We all have our opinions let don't try shoving them down each others throats.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/17/22 01:31 PM

Based on the original post and question asked the frist thing you want to establish in your dog is obedience. When your dogs feet hit the ground it should be under your command. You don't want the dog running up to a coyote or cat barking if that animal is barely caught. The dog barking is not a bad thing but is you say shut up that's what should happen. You're dog's sent doesn't matter at the set as a matter of fact it probably helps to take away from yours. Get to know your dog learn to read him or her and a her is probably gonna be a better dog. Just because your dog marks a spot doesn't mean you need to set a trap. Something I wish I would have done with zip is taught her to recover a trap as well as the animal. If I come up on a set and the trap is and zip don't take the sent I know it's a deer and the trap and drag will be in the weeds not far. So start your dog with some long leash training you have to be that dog's main focus not the animal. If you get this part down the rest will fall in to place bond to the dog a dog on a chain in the back yard is going to make nothing.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 02:54 AM

Boy I killed that one.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 02:56 AM

Boy I killed that one.

As long as you didn't harass anyone lol

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 03:21 AM

Must not have barked loud enough.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 03:34 AM

Nice looking working dogs fellas.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
I think dog's help more than they harm. [Linked Image]
Here she is keeping one busy .

Awesome picture

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 01/18/22 01:04 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mugsy

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 02:23 AM

Serious question, how do you guys keep your trapline dogs out of traps?

Do you walk them into the area on a leash?

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by TravC
Look here taco
You do your thing choke rats whine on trapperman your killin it
You are a good example of destruction from within
You have no idea what we use dogs for speculate all you want you are a fine specimin of why we should use contraception

Yep
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 03:53 PM

Boco is old enough to have trapped before snogos or at least reliable one. Perhaps he has trapped with dog teams. Team dogs act much like other dogs, try to get to any critter caught in a trap. Takes time and training to get them not to try to get the animal. I suspect he also trapped before conibears were commonly used. So he had live animals like marten at times.
The inability of some trappers to understand why things are done differently in other places is a large contribution to the demise of trapping.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 05:11 PM

I have caught my dogs in traps, they really aren't trap" shy", as lure or bait "shy". They all respond to my body language and commands' I tell Suzzy NO and she will respond. She is two years old now and starting to work pretty good, I try not to compare her to Pancho who was a very good dog, they are all different!
Posted By: cathryn

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 05:44 PM

This is jerrys dog Shorty.
[Linked Image]

He actually checks the traps.for him..if he goes to the set and doesnt come back Jerry has an animal caught..if he comes back there's nothing in it.

He still checks to make sure it's not sprung or whatever but he checks thwm foe him.

Unless your dog is dumb, he'll only get caught once.lol

This is my dog Runt on the line with a bobcat.

[Linked Image]

Shorty is Runts dad and they HATE each other. We can't take them trapping on the same day.

They fight so bad ,it's like they really wanna kill each other so we have to rotate them.on separate days.lol
Posted By: charles

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 06:17 PM

Not sure my blue heeler was a trap line dog but she did enjoy riding along. I learned to watch what she was smelling. Her “investigations” were instructive to a novice trapper.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 07:02 PM

How's it any different than having a pack of hounds harasaing a treed coon, bear ,or cat or a dog barking treed on a squirrel?
Or dogs hunting hogs or cornering a bear or cat on the ground? with the end result being the harvesting of the target animal?

For us about hearing the dogs bark, its not about harassing an animal or allowing your dogs to killl the target animal,at least for us.

We.dont want or allow the dogs to dispatch the animals for us..we don't want or like damaged pelts.

There's nothing like Runt barking on a cat in the trap to get your heart going,lol.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn

How's it any different than having a pack of hounds harasaing a treed coon, bear ,or cat or a dog barking treed on a squirrel?
Or dogs hunting hogs or cornering a bear or cat on the ground? with the end result being the harvesting of the target animal?

For us about hearing the dogs bark, its not about harassing an animal or allowing your dogs to killl the target animal,at least for us.

We.dont want or allow the dogs to dispatch the animals for us..we don't want or like damaged pelts.

There's nothing like Runt barking on a cat in the trap to get your heart going,lol.

I trapped animal is already captured. They are harvested.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 08:14 PM

The animal is potentially captured..not harvested... it's not harvested until its dispatched.

Our dogs have located animals that have broke chains or snares for whatever reason ,so dogs are not for " harassing" animals.

To us they're an additional very useful tool on the line and we just like having e with us.

Our dogs are family.

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 08:35 PM

If you follow your argument Boco,wouldnt it be VERY disrespectful for ADC guys to harvest animals In The summer or any other time,and throw the animal.over the hill?

At least we are utilizing the fur.. Thar ADC guy says it ain't even worth skinning,.talk about disrespectful to the animal..and disrespecting the Creator.

I feel like alot of guys north of the border need to come.down here to the states and see what a real dog is all about. Lol

Also you gave swampwolf heck about skinning summer beaver..cause they had no value.

What do you do with your summer caught beaver?
Posted By: warrior

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/28/23 08:36 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/29/23 04:18 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: For those of you with trapline dogs - 10/29/23 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

[Linked Image]

Spoken like a true libtard
© 2024 Trapperman Forums