Home

How many skunks?

Posted By: SGT. C

How many skunks? - 01/14/22 04:48 PM

Have you removed from one spot. Just hung up with customer telling me i have caught 2 more for total of 8 from under his workshop. Beat my old record of 7. This time of year they have been all adults. The 7 were mom and 6 babies.
I guess got to them in time just before they disperse for mating season. Just odd for my area so many would hole up together.
Has anyone ran into a scenario likes this before? Sarge
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 05:35 PM

16 from under 1 house.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 05:40 PM

42 last November and December out a spot that was just over a acre sick
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
42 last November and December out a spot that was just over a acre sick

shocked
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 06:14 PM

I trapped a neighbors feed shed one year. 20 skunks, 19 coons, and 1 woodchuck with 2 box traps in one month. That ADC job was a moneymaker.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 06:31 PM

20 skunks from under one farmhouse and 19 from another house.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 08:16 PM

I did a condo complex where there was a cat feeder with about 20lbs of cat food dumped on an area of the parking lot. Cleaned up all the food , set 6 cage traps at twilight using the cat food as bait. Caught 6 skunks just after dark. Removed them and set 6 more caught them by morning. Caught 18 more over the next 3 nights.
Got paid per skunk. Had free bait ( cat food)

Cat feeders make ya some money.... grin
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 08:20 PM

How do you put them to sleep?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Birdman382
How do you put them to sleep?

Discussions on dispatch are by PM's only.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 09:38 PM

I better up my game.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 09:53 PM

12 was not uncommon some years out of the same cage trap a few places produce up to 30 skunks the first time you work it. I get calls from one guy that gets 15-18 a summer at his place next to a GFP plot of land. Up to 13 at one place now had another one today so there might be more there.

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 10:26 PM

Looks like 8 is low. The owner is happy. He will be happy once he can use his shop. He may not be happy with the bill. Sarge
Posted By: Vinke

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 11:12 PM

16 from a city house, but it was breeding season
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: How many skunks? - 01/14/22 11:51 PM

17 from a city house. 16 males, one hot female.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 12:06 AM

Back about 16 years ago, I caught 8 skunks 1 year and 14 the next out of my mom's less than 3 acre yard. During the same 2 years, I caught 27 and 32 opossums, 42 and 58 coons out of the yard. I caught 1 red fox and 1 nearly albino groundhog too. I had 7 box traps set much of both seasons.

My mom and at least 3 of her neighbors fed a huge amount of feral cats and the wildlife was happy to join in. I caught the largest and best furred critters I ever caught trapping there.

Keith

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 12:32 AM

Warmed up this week for a few days the skunks were moving some. They have better stripes on them this year some beige tint to many but not the yellow or orange tints we get in the wet years.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 02:56 AM

Late season last year i caught 14 in one spot. What I found interesting was only 1 of them was a female.

We'll see what that den hole produces this year.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 03:31 AM

Last summer I removed 19 from a farm. 6 of those were youngins. I caught and skinned another 21 from that same farm throughout trapping season. I’ve only caught one so far this season.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 03:45 AM

A year ago I did a skunk job, 12 skunk's later I was done.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 10:30 AM

Got 22 from one place.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 11:53 AM

wow guys , my best is 9, from one place,
Posted By: eric space

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 02:26 PM

19 from under a house in Branchville, NJ. The people moved out and did not pay me. About 10 years later I got a call for groundhogs under a pool shed. When I got there it took me a minute to place the woman's face but it was the same one who stuck me on the skunk job. She refused to pay me for the previous skunk job so I put the word out to all the ADC guys I knew not to do her groundhogs or you would not get paid. Well one guy did do it and her check bounced!!
As to skunks I have found if there is a female there in February or March you will catch every male in the neighborhood sometimes before she comes out to be caught.

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 03:20 PM

Owner isnt happy he owns my new record,but,they gotta go. Traps not re-set until tuesday. Ice storm is coming and im staying home.Skunks not worth an accident. Sarge

Re: How many skunks? - 01/15/22 03:43 PM

A few years back I had a guy that kept trapping skunks in his attached garage I told the guy that was not very smart and it’s better to catch them outside but he did not listen. The problem came when he set a second cage and caught 2 skunks, the 2 skunks were moving nonstop banging his bait cans around and would not settle down. Ended up with 10 in the garage and 1 by the chicken coop.

It seems multiple catches are often big trouble I’ve had 3 in one cage that painted each other orange before I was done with them. I also had 3 in different cages that would not settle down at a place and everyone of them sprayed it was like they sensed the others were near.

In the last 10 days I caught 12 with not one spraying. One place they would move in zero temps and did not move at another place until it was above freezing so you never know. I’d say maybe 3 out of 100 spray and of he 3 I rushed 2 of them and the other was just a crazy one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums