Home

Public Library Use Montana

Posted By: Slick Pan

Public Library Use Montana - 01/14/22 07:08 PM

It has come to my attention through an ad in the Bitterroot Star (local newspaper) that Footloose Montana , an anti-trapping organization has been allowed access and use of the library facilities to promote their own agenda. As a tax payer and citizen of this community I strongly object to this action and ask that this not be allowed to happen. Please help with this if you can:

commissioners@rc.mt.gov

director@bitterrootpubliclibrary.org

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:11 PM

You also should put the same ad up, except with pro trapping info, along with you or whoever is in that area volunteering time to show people how to get pets out of traps, and explaining why trapping is necessary.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:18 PM

I would also be at that meeting, along with a bunch of other trappers! They may not let you say much, but at least you could counter some of the propoganda with truth.
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:20 PM

Yep. Reach out to your state organization and get some help. You have just as much right to post pro-trapping media as well. As a matter of fact, would also be a great time to get to know your local library if you're not already involved.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:29 PM

I don't really see anything demonizing trapping in that flyer, but I don't see anything on it supporting trapping either. Now, if you attend the "workshop", be sure to bring some traps and snap them on your hands to show them they don't hurt or cut your fingers off! Give them a real education and swing it towards pro-trapping. Be sure to mention that it's illegal to tamper with legally set traps. I haven't looked into "Footloose Montana"....are they an anti-trapping org in your area?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
I don't really see anything demonizing trapping in that flyer, but I don't see anything on it supporting trapping either. Now, if you attend the "workshop", be sure to bring some traps and snap them on your hands to show them they don't hurt or cut your fingers off! Give them a real education and swing it towards pro-trapping. Be sure to mention that it's illegal to tamper with legally set traps.

The flyer looks harmless enough, but don't think for a minute these freaks aren't going to go full propaganda at their little meeting.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:36 PM

Also be sure to mention the leash laws that pet owners are required to follow.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:39 PM

If you attend, be sure you point out that pets on public land generally need to be leashed. I suspect Polly the Airdale who's been in three traps, has an owner that is breaking the law, not the trapper.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 07:51 PM

That's exactly the case, Jack. These people don't even live in the rural, but in suburbs and town. But Montana law applies for leash laws , and there are strict laws for Polly the Airdale in chasing wildlife, killing fawns, and venturing onto rancher's lands and distressing livestock. To the point where a rancher or property owner can "get rid" of the dog without even finding the owner to give warning.

Fish& Game won't hesitate to write up citations for poaching onto the owners who let their Polly's run loose.

Also, good to share, are the fact that coyotes and wuffs will routinely kill dogs they find running loose. Some Coyotes nowadays will even go into yards and take dogs out . Every hound owner in the area I have heard are almost to the point of not running their dogs anymore because of the wuffs who have found them before the owners could catch up.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 08:00 PM

I would like to hear how this goes if anyone attends, Please keep us updated.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 08:04 PM

Any chance of getting a CO to attend?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 08:10 PM

You'd think Polly woulda learned by now
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 08:14 PM

Trying to play on your heartstrings by putting a young girl in the photo with Polly
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 08:41 PM

I am generally not a live my life to fight an agenda or promote one. BUT this organization ,FOOTLOOSEMONTANA was developed in Montana to end trapping here. The founder moved here from Colorado to specifically end trapping in Montana. They went as far as getting it on the ballot to do so. Now they have been allowed a seat at the FWP meeting along side our Montana Trappers Association to formulate rules and regulations. Something I strongly disagree with. I have stood with and along side the Montana Trappers Association as we defeated the attempt to outlaw trapping on public land in Montana.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 09:35 PM

Bring lots of videos of unleashed dogs attacking small children.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 11:12 PM

I don't really see anything demonizing trapping in that flyer, but I don't see anything on it supporting trapping either. Now, if you attend the "workshop", be sure to bring some traps and snap them on your hands to show them they don't hurt or cut your fingers off! Give them a real education and swing it towards pro-trapping. Be sure to mention that it's illegal to tamper with legally set traps. I haven't looked into "Footloose Montana"....are they an anti-trapping org in your area?

I disagree with that. “Traps are indiscriminate” and “traps can be almost anywhere” are false statements meant to make the traps out to be a boogeyman hiding everywhere.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 11:23 PM

The wording is enough to show you what direction this leans
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 11:42 PM

Took my German Shepherd down to the local creek a week or two ago... He had his harness on and was leashed the entire time. My wife asked why I didn't let him run and frolic on his own. I told her a free-running dog is a risk to itself and others and that it was also trapping season.

I didn't really expect to come across any traps.However it's MY RESPONSIBILITY to take care of MY dog. I don't understand why people can't get that through their heads.

Mike
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 11:49 PM

Alaska Trappers Association puts on "Shared Trails" presentations that cover many of the same How-tos as the anti ad...without the drama. We tell them this is an informational event not a debate. Many folks who attend are more or less neutral, if perhaps concerned. After learning how to release various traps and snares during the 'hands on' segment many seem confident that they could handle a situation in the field.
Here is a video excerpt of a longer video ATA usually plays at presentations.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk242jZwEAQ

Lately our Fish and Game (ADFG) has been doing some of the same thing:

The Alaska-Yukon North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG) and the City of Soldotna are proud to offer outdoor enthusiasts a free opportunity to learn about trapping and dog safety. Please see the attached flier with details. Please forward to members of your organization as this might be of interest to them. We are looking forward to this opportunity and seeing folks there! For questions about the event, call Chapter President Ken Gates at 907-953-9709.

When: January 29, 2022, 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Where: Soldotna Regional Sports Complex
Who: ADFG Biologists Rob Massengill and Nick Fowler (with 60 years combined trapping experience)

Free Trapping and Dog Safety Seminar

Link to flyer. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16tBVMjDVSwFJTQiji8lFHnmPSypO_RBr/view

We have found it good to be proactive!

Re: Public Library Use - 01/14/22 11:58 PM

bring some traps and snap them on your hands

Great point and a very good graphic for non trappers. I've done it myself many times starting in high school for an English class. BUT dont let them take any pictures because they will use it out of context to scare people!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:00 AM

Bring some belisles and snap them on their private parts.
Posted By: WTT03

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:04 AM

Straight from the "Footloose Montana" website
PROMOTING TRAP-FREE PUBLIC LANDS FOR PEOPLE, PETS, AND WILDLIFE

Yes, they are definitely anti-trapping

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:05 AM

Here are comments from Alaska Wildlife Troopers in response to a current anti trapping proposal:

Proposal 99

This problem exists primarily because dog owners do not have their pets on leash. Any situation that reduces the motivation to keep dogs on leashes has a detriment to both public safety and moose health due to increased dog vs dog fighting, dog vs people attack, dogs chasing moose, and dog vs pack animal attacks. AWT is regularly dispatched to calls for service where moose are agitated due to being chased by unsecured dogs. Enforcement of such a regulation would be very challenging, like our disagreement of proposal 199. How would anyone know if “public funds” were used to fund the trail or campground? Such areas would require new signs and marking. How would a trapper or AWT know if a dwelling was “permanent” or not, or a cabin was” less than 800 square feet” or “unoccupied a majority of the time?” This proposal as written would be very difficult to enforce.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:07 AM

Polly has survived three traps per the ad and the dog still has all four paws and looks healthy. Start a go fund me site so Polly’s owner can put a fence around her yard. It doesn’t come right out as anti trapping but that’s the low keyed message.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:35 AM

Was Footloose not the group that tried to outlaw trapping in MT not so long ago?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:37 AM

Show a hairy turd on a poster and say, “Polly’s luck ran out the wolves got her!”
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 12:45 AM

Maybe it's time that we get home owners insurance involved, a buddy of mine's dog got out, his homeowners insurance had to pay out the wazoo. Almost guarantee they want all pets leashed, and in control of their owners all the time.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
If you attend, be sure you point out that pets on public land generally need to be leashed. I suspect Polly the Airdale who's been in three traps, has an owner that is breaking the law, not the trapper.

Remind me not to go pheasant hunting in Idaho. My dog wont be very effective on the leash

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 02:46 AM

Ok i wasnt trying to pick on Gulo and now i see everyone hammering on leash laws. Public land is public land. If i can trap, my dog can run on it. Again, how would one hunt birds if your dogs on a leash? Are your states getting overran with Californians or something!???!! Seems like a terrible argument to me regarding polly the airedale.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Ok i wasnt trying to pick on Gulo and now i see everyone hammering on leash laws. Public land is public land. If i can trap, my dog can run on it. Again, how would one hunt birds if your dogs on a leash? Are your states getting overran with Californians or something!???!! Seems like a terrible argument to me regarding polly the airedale.

Yes -- the dogs have more rights than the people do. I have no problem with you unleashing your dog -- just don't outlaw trapping because your off leash dog got caught in a trap that was legally set.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 03:05 AM

DWC, I am certain that our beloved Jack well knows the difference between bird hunts in corn fields in SD , over the completely different habitat he was thinking of over here . What he was correctly referring to here, are dogs roaming loose unassisted by their owners. Not a well planned bird hunt where hunters and their dogs work closely in sight of each other. Usually on cropland or water. The areas in discussion here, not in SD, are completely different areas , where trappers work legally , far from bird hunting .

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 03:15 AM

I completely agree with (obviously since i trap) not restricting trapping because of caught dogs. I dont do well planned bird hunts-marches across corn fields if you will. I often go alone, and the rougher the terrain the better (if public). Big hilly timber with small patches of thickets or grass. People dont bird hunt it. The fields of crp get hammered early in this state. On much of the ground, trapping is allowed, and i walk over coyote tracks in the snow all the time. If my dog gets caught, so be it. But screaming leash law when there really isnt one (at least on public ground that can be trapped) doesnt do anyone any good. Being a good for nothing liberal out exploring wherever on public ground doesnt necessitate their dog being on a leash does it? Im unaware of your laws.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Public Library Use - 01/15/22 09:09 PM

All public library's have meeting rooms open for use by the public, of either side of an issue.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums