Home

Mount or keep waiting?

Posted By: Mocular

Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 04:16 AM

Caught what I consider to be a very pretty cat today. I’ve posted it other places to see what the consensus is but more opinions are always welcome. Should I spend the money and get a proper mount of this cat? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 04:22 AM

I'd get that cat mounted, if You know a taxidermist that you've seen cats from and like.

Not all taxidermist can do great cats
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 04:23 AM

nice cat.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 04:27 AM

I can only compare that to what we have here, and we never see one that pale all over.

For me I would mount it for sure, and I would pay for a particular taxi person to do it right as well

Cats are tough to make natural, you don't want some one practicing on that one !!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:20 AM

The cat is worthy. Now to find a taxidermist worthy of the cat.
Posted By: Ed Patrick

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:51 AM

Sell it
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 10:36 AM

The general consensus is that there are very few people who do good work on cats. Some of them turn out really strange looking.

Beautiful animal for sure.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:44 AM

is it your first? if not I would tan it with feet on
Posted By: micheal

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:50 AM

Nice looking
Posted By: bandy

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 12:09 PM

As a taxidermist I always say mount it do your homework and find someone good on small game.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
The cat is worthy. Now to find a taxidermist worthy of the cat.

Perfect advice!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 12:35 PM

Beautiful color but looks young/small. We don't see cats that color around here but if it's not that uncommon where you are that would influence my choice.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 12:37 PM

Sell the cat and get a framed blowup of that picture for your wall if you want to display it. Taxidermy is a pricey thing to decorate your home with. Not even women, well I take that back. You will spend as much as your better half on decorating. Its good to have the upper hand whenever you can.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 12:47 PM

The taxis that can mount a cat and make it look great are 1%ers

If you can find one and can afford the price tag (the good ones are paid accordingly) get it mounted
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 01:15 PM

If you want to catch a larger and nicer cat- just mount that one.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 02:01 PM

I think a nice spotted cat like that shines when made into a rug.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 02:07 PM

You should do what makes you happy. I will warn you about this , if you have it mounted don’t post photos here. Some idiot that you will never meet , who’s opinion means nothing , will criticize it.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 02:49 PM

Good looking cat. If your not sure keep him in the freezer and see if you catch another you like better. Looks like one I got in the freezer now I plan to mount. [Linked Image]
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
You should do what makes you happy. I will warn you about this , if you have it mounted don’t post photos here. Some idiot that you will never meet , who’s opinion means nothing , will criticize it.

I agree with this 100%. I have been dabbling into doing my own taxidermy for a bit and I made the mistake of posting some pics of a coyote mount I did. Obviously it wasn’t great quality but I figured decent enough for a beginner. Most folks gave me good critique on it while a few pricks had to add their say so.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by clintp1971

There are idiots on here???
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 04:56 PM

I never seen a ugly bobcat. I have seen some real ugly taxidermy cats. Choose carefully.
Posted By: Maine man

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:21 PM

Nice Cat, Congrats
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:35 PM

You could do anything you like it is a great lookin cat.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:44 PM

I think that's a pretty cat, better coloration than the one I had mounted. You can have it tanned and display it that way, do a rug or go life size. No wrong answer there.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
You could do anything you like it is a great lookin cat.

Beat me to it.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
is it your first? if not I would tan it with feet on

This is good advice. That way you still have options. Mount it or sell it.
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 07:31 PM

Not sure where at in nebraska you are, im in the south east corner, I personally would wait and mount a different cat. Ive been trapping for 9 years now and have caught quite a few cats, there has been 3 that I wish i would have kept. Most of them are smaller females with rabbit backs. But If you hold out, you will catch a nice tom with nice big spots and rossetts down the back. There out there. They are. I Have a buddy that has caught some real nice toms the last couple years. If you are wanting a nice big pretty tom, keep waiting. But, in the end, your the one that has to be happy about it and if you want to mount that one, go right ahead. If your happy with it, who cares. Thats all that matters. Im not saying your cat isnt pretty, because it is, they all are, but I know we do have better ones around here if your willing to wait.
Posted By: otter3006

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 07:55 PM

Tan it,nice catch
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 08:16 PM

I’ve got two large Toms tanned already. I’ve all but decided to have it mounted.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 08:27 PM

If you are considering taxidermists, you might call Jacot Taxidermy in Verdigre, NE. He is a young fella, but he has won numerous awards for his work. Great young man, also. Justin Jacot is his name.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mocular
Caught what I consider to be a very pretty cat today. I’ve posted it other places to see what the consensus is but more opinions are always welcome. Should I spend the money and get a proper mount of this cat? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you don’t mount it sell it to someone that will, but personally I would mount it for my own pleasure

That’s a beautiful cat
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:16 PM

I think it needs a couple more years to reach it's full potential.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:24 PM

Rug it
Posted By: DON B

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/15/22 11:29 PM

Man ain't that the truth
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 12:07 AM

Beautiful.
Posted By: Cattrapper77

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 12:36 AM

The cat is definitely worthy to be mounted I would recommend asking your taxidermist to use Hendricks small game system forms the take alot of the problems out of making a cat look anatomically correct. Mckenzie Taxi Supply carries them as do a few others.

Hope this helps.

CT77
Posted By: jackrock

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 01:07 AM

Tan it's hide
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 01:28 AM

Pretty cat, and it’s your call bud.

He’s prettier than the cat I have mounted! But it was my first, and good story to boot.

Definitely do your homework and find a good taxi. Hard to duplicate that cat face.

John
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 02:00 AM

Beautiful bobcat.I would get it mounted.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/16/22 04:14 AM

Taxidermy is a personal choice.

You'll not get the same perspective from any of us. Are there better NE cats. Sure. Are there worse NE cats. Sure.
It's not really about mounting the "best" cats as much as do you want to mount this one?
Taxidermy is one critter at a time.

Nice bobbie.
Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Mount or keep waiting? - 01/17/22 04:20 PM

Tan it. Looks small to me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums