Home

When it snows in the South

Posted By: charles

When it snows in the South - 01/15/22 11:01 PM

All the bread, milk, sandwich meats, chili ingredients, pasta, and most beer is scooped up. Bracing for another TP rush. Everybody has a full tank of gas.

My son had a nannie who was from Michigan. She was taking some college courses. One day in the public library in NC she was asked to leave because it might snow.

When I was in the Rotary Club 20 years ago, my job was to schedule speakers for our noon meetings every Monday. I usually scheduled 3-6 months in advance so I could get quality speakers. I scheduled four February speakers from Black universities. When I contacted the president’s office of one university, I got her appointment secretary. I explained the Black History theme for February. The college was 15 miles away. The secretary would not schedule a February luncheon speech because it might snow that day. It was probably September when we were speaking. I got the plant manager for Miller Beer, who was an alumni, to speak in her absence.

Such is life in the South.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/15/22 11:05 PM

Keith
Posted By: RdFx

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/15/22 11:14 PM

When i was in Beaufort SC in Marine corp, it snowed a couple inches. Accidents all over the place, i had weekend liberty and going to Chattanoga Tenn.. I just swerved and when around all the crazy southern drivers who were smashing up thier vehicles left and right.... Made the 500 miles to Tn in 10 hrs no problem thru snow on and off.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/15/22 11:26 PM

4 yers ago it snowed on Hilton Head island and I got some strange looks when i put salt on the docks and gangways on the packed down snow that was turning into ice. They thought I was going to get out the pepper next. Saw a 4x4 ford pickup stuck next to me in the parking lot at Publix because the snow wedges had dropped off his feeders and were behind his tires and he could not figure out what was happening and stood there all 4 wheels spinning on the packed snow. I was not able to help him as I would not have been able to keep a straight face. So I drove off in my 2x4 truck
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 01:48 AM

I have pulled out more yankee drivers than southern in the snow.
In the South we get way more practice driving on slick roads, there just muddy not snow
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 01:52 AM

now thats funnty
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 03:22 AM

I have always wondered does every one stay home and make french toast ?

milk , bread , eggs being the first things to leave the shelf.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 04:54 AM

Snow = old southern Indian word for “buy food”, it’s like tradition, mention that word and like zombies people go buy food. You could say “ snow” during August and people go buy food down here.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 05:12 AM

Looks as if WLOS got it wrong again. Backing WAY off their forecast.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 05:52 AM

Part of the issue is that they forecast 2 inches and you get a snowfall of 2 feet... Or it goes really haywire and you get an ice storm.

We might have tornadoes next week. You never know.

Mike
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

now thats funnty

Maybe not. Have you driven in the deep enough south in a snow storm? We came down here laughing at the southerners for freaking out over 3 inches of snow, until we went to run traps in it. Yes, we got our 40 mile trap line ran but instead of 1.5 hours it took 4+. With no salt on the roads, the cars compacted the snow into ice. Yes it could be driven on, but not more than 20mph. We were both rather surprised as what would have been just a normal day in IL was a long day adventure in MS. Not to mention we didn't have power when we left, or came home. In 4 hours we only passed 2 other trucks. So I CAN see Yankees thinking 4" of snow is "just another day" until they hit the 2" of solid ice that the snows been compacted down into.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Snow = old southern Indian word for “buy food”, it’s like tradition, mention that word and like zombies people go buy food. You could say “ snow” during August and people go buy food down here.

That happens up here too! Another one of those strange human nature things, I guess.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Now that's funny right there. Add syrup to the list and maybe a little cinnamon.
Posted By: run

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 12:06 PM

Even the fruits and vegetables were wiped out this past week.

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 12:09 PM

Yes Ang I have. Seen 3 inches of snow shut down I10 in Tucson. But the vehicles in the ditch had AZ tags. Was in Louisiana one time when bridges were freezing up. Ground was warm enough roads were not freezing, (drizzly rain) but the bridges were real greasy. Road crew had pickup ups out there with something in the bed and men shoveling it out by hand. Whatever they were shoveling out didnt help. At all. I finally parked. Bridges were filling up with crashed vehicles. Was in Joplin MO one time for some freezing rain then snow on top of it. State was putting salt down but it wasn't working. They didnt have anything else as they dont often need it. Was to cold for salt. That was a real mess.

Yes I have seen it. I am well aware how bad things get when your someplace that snow/bad cold and or freezing rain is not common.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 12:37 PM

They sell tire chains down south?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I call that a ' French toast alert ' lol

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

They do that here too , it's almost kinda silly. Most houses/pantries contain a minimum of a week's worth of food and lots of people have WAY more than that. It's not like you are going to starve to death. The worst I have ever seen was in '78? when our governor shut down the entire state for 3 days because the snow was so bad the plows could not keep up.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 02:12 PM

What would seriously happen if you got
- 35 below after 17" of snow.
We went Beaver Trapping the next 3 days

It's definitely not fun . But you get used to it.
Posted By: lcd

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton

They used to, any more I am not so sure. You could make pretty good money back then putting them on and taking them off at the full service stations. Don't have hardly any of them left now and I doubt if anybody under 50 knows what tire chains are.

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 02:30 PM

Awhile back they were predicting power outages here. I bought 12 gallons of ethanol free gas and added stabilizer. Wanted it to be good come lawn mowing season if I didnt need it. Drained the old gas from my generator and put it in my pickup. Changed the oil and added fresh gas. Started it and let it run about 10 minutes then shut the gas off and let it run till it died.

If you dont keep more milk and bread on hand than you will use in a day or two. Just buying fresh on your way home from work or whatever, it makes sense to pick up some extra if you think you may not want to drive anywhere for a few days.
Posted By: warrior

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 02:45 PM

Nope
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 02:47 PM

Charles…..Looks like Biden has fixed the Global Warming issue.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 03:21 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 03:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 04:42 PM

What are tire chains?

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by run

What are tire chains?

I think its one of those ice fishing gimmicks that some anglers fall for

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 09:18 PM

Good answer, scuba I.
Posted By: WSD Trapper

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 09:22 PM

Parts of Alabama getting rain, snow, sleet today. Mostly in the northern 1/3. Yes you can still buy tire chains or cables here. NAPA stocks a few sizes. The problem we have with snow is that it is so unpredictable. Just like the other Gulf coast states. Timing of the cold air meeting the gulf moisture is so critical. Forecasters hate trying to predict snow. Our snow is always the heavy, wet stuff that freezes into ice. Or compacts into ice as others have said. And it usually starts off as freezing rain or sleet. Treating roads with salt brine is usually a lost cause. The rain washes it away before the ice and snow start. We can also go years between ice or snow events too. Doesn't make a lot of sense for the various government agencies involved in road maintenance to invest in snow equipment very much. By the time it is needed, it would require too much maintenance to get operational. Normally snow or ice only lasts a day or two anyway. Much easier to just wait it out, drinking milk and eating bread of course.

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 10:46 PM

Hurricanes and snow events are known as French toast weather systems
Posted By: WSD Trapper

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/16/22 11:49 PM

French toast is good but I prefer grilled cheese sammiches
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: When it snows in the South - 01/17/22 12:45 AM

This is the township road up to my camp. It is not winter-maintained, it’s barely summer-maintained.

[Linked Image]

Same road going down the hill.

[Linked Image]

It’s like anything else, do it enough and you get good at it, or at least get used to it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums