Home

Bobcat backstrap

Posted By: KsTrapper88

Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 04:34 AM

Caught a big Tom today and when I finished skinning and stretching him I got the thought that bobcat meat doesn’t look half bad. So I cut out and froze the back straps. Just wondering if anybody has cooked bobcat before and what’s a good recipe?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 04:42 AM

I've read, and heard, that it's very good!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 04:53 AM

Bobcat is good eats. Smoked is good or baked/grilled in foil with some butter and spies to your taste. About any way you would cook pork but it may need a little oil to keep it from being too dry.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 04:55 AM

I have butchered every single 'cat I have ever trapped or shot. It is excellent. Light colored and every bit like lean pork. Imagine pork loin and you can imagine bobcat meat.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 05:01 AM

Thanks for the replies, I’m looking forward to trying it.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 06:07 AM

Doesnt taste like pork to me.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 10:43 AM

very good eating , not a strong-tasting meat at all, I would stay pork like
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 10:52 AM

I fed it to a group of 20 and everyone liked it. I keep it just for gatherings where obscure meats are ideal.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 11:52 AM

The old tom I tried tasted like tom cat wiz. Tried a young one later and it was good .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
The old tom I tried tasted like tom cat wiz. Tried a young one later and it was good .

That would make a guy think twice about eating one lol

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:12 PM

Even a kitten has a wiz after taste to me. especially after it cools off for a minute
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:33 PM

Marinade it first to cover up the taste. blush

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
Marinade it first to cover up the taste. blush

Or more BBQ sauce Lol
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:47 PM

X2!
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 12:58 PM

I tried some bobcat jerky someone made one time.terible.tasted just like an old Tom cat smells.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:02 PM

Bobcat good meat
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:07 PM

Have to p-ss,,i mean pass on that
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:12 PM

I made katze schnitzel a couple weeks ago, and I have some.bobcat n' beans in the fridge right now. Yum.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:17 PM

I'd try it

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:20 PM

I was wanting to try it but getting a little gun shy now

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:22 PM

I didnt eat cats or dogs in the philippines (most filipinos dont like cats and theyll eat anything)not trying them here either. Most anything else im game.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:24 PM

I've only ever tried it once and it was sausage.. It was indeed sausage and tasted fine as sausage.. But then I'm told you can pass off a turd as sausage if make it right. Not that I have any experience with turd sausage..
I thought most people ate cat as stir fry? eek

Mac
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I've read, and heard, that it's very good!

I'd try it.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:29 PM

Tried it once and didnt care for it, flat out rank and maybe because it was a Tom and late in the season. I was super careful about keeping it clean but it tasted like that cat smelled. I got elk, deer beef and pork I do like beaver and have cooked it often and enjoy it.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:37 PM

I cut my bobcat backstraps into steaks.Was excellent.
Posted By: corky

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:46 PM

Mountain Lion very good, bobcat not so much.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:47 PM

I've heard it is even better than otter.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by corky
Mountain Lion very good, bobcat not so much.

heard same from my buddy beside glacier.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 02:13 PM

I have made bobcat, Mt lion and lynx. A tom can get rank during breeding season. If he smells like a tom cat I would pass on it. I always just rolled it in flour and fried it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

That would make a guy think twice about eating one lol

Supposed to eat it with cheese Wiz and crackers grin
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Lmao…!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 02:15 PM

grin 330-trapper
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

It absolutely is better than otter. I tried otter once. Barf. Tasted like otter glands smell.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 03:39 PM

The old tom I tried tasted like tom cat wiz. Tried a young one later and it was good . [/quote]

Supposed to eat it with cheese Wiz and crackers grin[/quote]
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 03:52 PM

Heck I'm from Louisiana, we fry almost anything. Marinated in milk and worsteshire sauce for a couple hours, light flour coating and fry at 350°. Was mighty good. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 06:15 PM

Bread n fry an dip in purrrfect or cat-man-do an enjoy
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 06:18 PM

I've cooked some 8 to 10 bobcat all sizes never had a bad back strap yet from a bobcat,lighter pinkish meat I thought it was similar to veal or pronhorn it has a little sweetness to it.A few of my friends tried and liked it,the one guy couldn't get his wife to try it,he told her what it was so that turned her off.When I lived in MT I heard Mt.Lion was excellent but I never had a chance to try it.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 06:25 PM

bobcat excellent, never had a bad one old or young. Mountain lion very good also, one that i had was a big tom and was delicious. Made alot of meals. I can the forelegs like i do venison in pts. Works great.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 06:50 PM

I ate a few Lynx and they were very good. In fact I served It to some non hunter family's and they asked for more. But they didn't know what they were eating. Once I told the one lady she said she would never eat at my house again. LOL
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 08:15 PM

I would try it but we have to turn our carcasses in when we register our fur.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 08:31 PM

Wis we can demeat the carcass and turn in. DNR just wants insides and possible tooth. Depends on the year
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
Caught a big Tom today and when I finished skinning and stretching him I got the thought that bobcat meat doesn’t look half bad. So I cut out and froze the back straps. Just wondering if anybody has cooked bobcat before and what’s a good recipe?

[Linked Image]

Not bobcat, but I have eaten smoked mountain lion. It was OK, maybe the saltiness and smoke made it taste similar to ham. I also tried fried timber wolf. If you ever try it, make sure you have something near by too spit in! sick

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/17/22 10:28 PM

Quite a few years ago I asked the MN DNR if it was ok to take some meat of the the carcass,they asked why and I told them.Was not a problem as stated by the WI trapper they need inside of the bobcats,my two largest bobcat I put my MN DNR # on the skull and they sent them back to me.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
Quite a few years ago I asked the MN DNR if it was ok to take some meat of the the carcass,they asked why and I told them.Was not a problem as stated by the WI trapper they need inside of the bobcats,my two largest bobcat I put my MN DNR # on the skull and they sent them back to me.

That's what I thought they did. Even this year they were going to let me have my fisher skulls back. I just wondered why we need to bring them in if they don't want them. I would like to keep the cat carcass.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 02:19 PM

With the right prep and spices bobcat meat makes a good bait. A few years ago, according to legend, Rich Kasper got a lion carcass from a private zoo. The details are hazy but I believe the story is true. Sold it all and people caught a lot of fur with it.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 02:19 PM

Skull's need to looked at to see if it's an adult or juvee for there count.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
With the right prep and spices bobcat meat makes a good bait. A few years ago, according to legend, Rich Kasper got a lion carcass from a private zoo. The details are hazy but I believe the story is true. Sold it all and people caught a lot of fur with it.

I got 3 gallons of that bait In a trade deal with Rich. I still have some and yes It did work.
Posted By: Merriam

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 05:08 PM

I grilled backstraps from a fresh female last night. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic. I seared it then finished it in foil. I cooked it much more well done than I ever would venison or most other wild game. I don't want to mess with toxoplasmosis or trychinosis. It was dry but the flavor was really good. My son and daughter prefered it over their cheeseburgers that I cooked alongside it. I made some General Tsao's noodles to serve with it. Now, we've been throwing around what we're going to name this meal???
Posted By: Merriam

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 05:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 05:26 PM

Looks like a good cat Merriam! Looks like you have a up and comer trapper also.

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 07:02 PM

Nice cat there. I was thinking of trying something similar with the sear first then foil.
Posted By: charles

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 07:50 PM

A professor at NC State used to have a wild games dinner every year. He asked fur buyers to save bobcat loins for him.
Posted By: Bryce Traps

Re: Bobcat backstrap - 01/18/22 11:15 PM

make sure to cook it well, no red
© 2024 Trapperman Forums