Home

Snow

Posted By: Boco

Snow - 01/17/22 09:22 PM

Had to use the snowshoes today.
Snow is getting fairly deep now.

[Linked Image]

Broke out about 10km of trail today,will do 16 into the cabin tomorrow.

Brought the shovel just in case-never get stuck if you have a shovel.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 09:29 PM

Nice snow sled
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 09:37 PM

Great Gear
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 09:46 PM

At what depth of snow do you start using snowshoes? Where I live in Ohio, most Winters, most snowfalls are small and only on the ground for just a few days at a time.

Keith

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 10:01 PM

Normally I start using snowshoes when I get tired plowing and floundering my way into the traps.Nowadays that after about 10 sets.
Today with the snow coming over the front of the machine,I just broke out the shoes right away.Once the snow gets over your knees its time to break out the snowshoes.As long as you can lift your foot clear of the snow when stepping,you dont really need snowshoes to check traps.If you are walking a long distance say a couple miles or so,then I would use snowshoes when there was a foot or more of snow.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 11:11 PM

How long does it take to put them on?
Posted By: Squash

Re: Snow - 01/17/22 11:23 PM

Is that aTundra ? Air or liquid cooled ? We have about knee deep snow here too. Wish we could trap fisher and Marten during winter, NY closes the fisher season early Dec and Marten Nov 30th.

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:03 AM

Yea thats my old Tundra Scandik a 2 stroke 550 fan-been using it every year since I bought it in 08
I got a Scandik with a 4 stroke ace engine for longer trips.

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
How long does it take to put them on?

About a half a minute.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:35 AM

Sounds like a good stress test to me….take it slow ,we ain’t 30 yah know.

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:41 AM

Its a good cardio workout for sure Nessy.Its what keeps us in shape.PLUS-no better place to kick the bucket than out in the bush on the trapline.
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:57 AM

Keep after em bud..
Posted By: crossfox21

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 01:23 AM

BOCO...you might consider this. Its helped me out quite a few times. Quicker than a shovel and less work

https://high-jacker-snowmobile.myshopify.com/

Posted By: rvsask

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 01:37 AM

I’m also using the snowshoes these days Boco.
I was stuck on the snowmobile more last week than the last 10 years. I hate the snow.

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by crossfox21
BOCO...you might consider this. Its helped me out quite a few times. Quicker than a shovel and less work

I seen those here Frank.In the old days before they made those guys would go to the junkyard and get the old bumper jacks and make a bracket on the outside of the tunnel to carry.
I'm pretty good with a shovel.I shovelled a lot of snow on the railroad,lol.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by crossfox21

I seen those here Frank.In the old days before they made those guys would go to the junkyard and get the old bumper jacks and make a bracket on the outside of the tunnel to carry.
I'm pretty good with a shovel.I shovelled a lot of snow on the railroad,lol.

Not me Boco. Crossfox21 is in Oregon. I'm a "don't move w'out a shovel" guy too. Will PM u pic. of how I mount a dismantled shovel on skidoo. Not unhandy like an assembled shovel can be on "light skidoo". Good when you are going what we call "light skidoo*" and towing no sled. You may already know about it but it is an idea I come up with myself. Imagine others would think of the same thing. Allows for a long handle so not back breaking like those Mickey Mouse mini disassembled metal shovels.

* Comes from "light horse" I suppose for highly mobile quick moving calvary back in the day.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:43 PM

Glad to see you have "real" snowshoes, not the rubber-aluminum ones. grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 12:48 PM

Normally I start using snowshoes when I get tired plowing and floundering my way into the traps.Nowadays that after about 10 sets.
Today with the snow coming over the front of the machine,I just broke out the shoes right away.Once the snow gets over your knees its time to break out the snowshoes.As long as you can lift your foot clear of the snow when stepping,you dont really need snowshoes to check traps.If you are walking a long distance say a couple miles or so,then I would use snowshoes when there was a foot or more of snow.

....And this right here ^^^^^ is why I'm not coming to trap with you in the winter.
Ever.

Blessings and stay warm.
Mark
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
Glad to see you have "real" snowshoes, not the rubber-aluminum ones. grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snow - 01/18/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June

....And this right here ^^^^^ is why I'm not coming to trap with you in the winter.
Ever.

Blessings and stay warm.
Mark

Come on, Buck up Mark grin

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 02:04 AM

Attire for every sane trapper....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Attire for every sane trapper....

[Linked Image]

Lol....I agree 1,000,000,000%

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 03:43 AM

You look like a freaking tourist on vacation,lol.Where are you? on vacation at the seashore,lol.
Wheres all the women in bikinis?
Where is your little red pail and plastic shovel?
Your pet german shepherd got overheated-get him in the water,lol.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 03:52 AM

That is a nice snowmobile! When last in Montana I went on a long snowmobile ride with a friend. I used a long track big 4 stroke beast. Getting it stuck or on its side was easy, getting it back on its way was tough. About halfway I imposed a switch of machines for the faster lighter and more fun machine.

lived in a Lake Erie “snow belt” for 27 years. After moving away, learned to like winter even more. No more shoveling and plowing every morning and evening. Although we did get 16” of snow Sunday night as a reminder.

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 06:47 AM

Hey Willy-if it wasnt for winter freeze up and snow we wouldnt be able to travel anywhere,lol.
Once winter hits we can go everywhere.Pray for snow and freezeup to make travel into the backcountry easy.
Our snow is light and fluffy,rarely heavy and wet like you probably got in erie.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 08:31 AM

I understand the need for snow and ice up your way.
The snow belt was just a nuisance for that time in my life.
I was SE from Cleveland so we got dumped on, similar to Erie, Pa.
All that walleye water from where you visited came inland on us as snow.

If this Plague ever settles down, I still want to drive up to your far north area. Want to see the big Hudson’s Bay. Want to explore, fish, and look for a young, beautiful, and very wealthy widow.
Posted By: run

Re: Snow - 01/19/22 11:24 AM

You look like a freaking tourist on vacation,lol.Where are you? on vacation at the seashore,lol.

LOL.

Re: Snow - 01/20/22 02:13 AM

I'm actually about to spread more good goo on a good turd for another good doggie on a good location.
I like snow.
I like T-shirts better.
All us sane dudes and dudettes wear T-shirts while trapping.
Of course it was about 90 that day which is approaching slightly warm.
Good weather for a beach sun tan.

Blessings,
SHOVEL THAT WHITE STUFF 'EH!
Mark
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: Snow - 01/20/22 02:22 AM

That’s a beautiful garden.
Posted By: gman

Re: Snow - 01/20/22 12:58 PM

Boco-If you don't want to get stuck anymore. And if you do it is very easy to get out. Buy yourself a Summit 175. I just happen to have one for sale. You really have to work at it to get it stuck.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums