Home

Motorhome

Posted By: nvwrangler

Motorhome - 01/18/22 02:44 AM

Looking at possibley getting a motorhome to pull the boat with for spring and summer camp trips and tow the side by side hunting. Does anyone have one? Hate them? Pros and cons?

Thanks
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 02:54 AM

The one great thing I imagine with a motor home ( I own an older toy hauler ) is the wife could make you a samich while your rollin down the highway laugh

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 02:57 AM

Anti i can see that as a plus, rite now she has to tow either the boat or side by side while i tow the fifthwheel .
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:00 AM

I will make you a great deal on ours in Ohio.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:01 AM

A toy hauler works well with the sxs wether it be bumper pull or fifth wheel . But the boat is the deciding factor looks like .

I think in Nevada you guys can pull a double ? Both the fifth wheel and the boat . Not that I would wanna do that
Posted By: midlander

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:05 AM

Pros, they are fun until you have to work on them. Cons, I cant think of many things that depreciate quicker than a motorhome. I can rent a lot of hotels and cabins through the years and still come out money ahead.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:05 AM

Its the trips to the coast that make pulling both too exciting for me.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Anti i can see that as a plus, rite now she has to tow either the boat or side by side while i tow the fifthwheel .

A motor home would definitely make it a more pleasurable trip .

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
I will make you a great deal on ours in Ohio.

Why are you selling? Just asking about your experiences with a motorhome

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:08 AM

Its the trips to the coast that make pulling both too exciting for me.

Yeah , and backing that mess up would be a challenge ...for me anyway
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:10 AM

We own a 2000 29 ft. Class A and love it. Backing a boat into the water at a landing was problematic to say the least. Soooo...I installed a fairly light duty receiver hitch on the front of the motorhome. Now pulling a boat out or putting it in is a breeze.

I would also suggest that if your motorhome does not have a rear-facing camera that would enable you to watch your trailer while going down the road I would suggest you install one.

Moosetrot

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

A motor home would definitely make it a more pleasurable trip .

Ya the coast trips are at least 6 hours each way, its 9 hours for our trip planned in june to Charlston Or. we'll stay 6 days at the coast then 4 at Odell lake on the way home

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 03:21 AM

That sounds like a great trip you've got planned
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 04:28 AM

Ya the coast trips are at least 6 hours each way, its 9 hours for our trip planned in june to Charlston Or. we'll stay 6 days at the coast then 4 at Odell lake on the way home[/quote]
Why Charlston if I may ask -- I have relatives that live out of Bandon.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by H2ORat

Ya the coast trips are at least 6 hours each way, its 9 hours for our trip planned in june to Charlston Or. we'll stay 6 days at the coast then 4 at Odell lake on the way home

Why Charlston if I may ask -- I have relatives that live out of Bandon.[/quote]

To be honest to camp at Sunset bay state park and crab and clam in the bay. Might fish but its not as important as the crab and clamming

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 04:35 AM

My cousin is really big into fishing out that direction -- he might have a couple of good spots to try if you don't know the area well.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 04:39 AM

Doez he dig clams? Or know the crabbing spots in the bay? We have never clammed before and any help is appreciated. Know 1 spot for crabbing so we're open for tips there too. Fishing in the bay would be ok

I haven't been there in years and don't know the area well. Is the oyster fram still operating?

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 04:57 AM

I think he crabs once in awhile -- don't know if he chases clams or not - but he and his parents and grandparents have lived there all there lives so I'm sure he will have a good idea or two. I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask. I haven't visited him there for 4-5 years so I have no idea if the oyster farm is still going or not. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days PM me.He is one of those dumb--- sheep farmers also. His dad just transitioned to beef about 3 years ago (he is kicking himself now) , but he bought 200 ewe lambs from his dad when he sold (his dad ran about 1000 ewes). Anyway I will try to send you a PM in the next couple of days.

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 05:00 AM

Thanks h2o

On a side note the kid got $10500 for 4 more lambs at the auction this weekend

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 05:03 AM

Maybe I need to look into that club lamb thing --- nah - i just raise lamb chops its much easier.
Posted By: run

Re: Motorhome - 01/18/22 01:35 PM

Thanks h2o

On a side note the kid got $10500 for 4 more lambs at the auction this weekend

That's crazy.

Re: Motorhome - 01/19/22 04:54 AM

This popped up on my news feed , don't know if it helps but here you go

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-...abbing-and-clamming-on-the-oregon-coast/

Re: Motorhome - 01/19/22 05:04 AM

It does thanks. Need to figure out how to freeze the clams to make soup and chowder when we get home. Taking a small chest freezer for crab, clams, and fish.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Motorhome - 01/19/22 05:37 AM

My only experience with one is pulling it out from being jackknifed on a small dirt road that hit a patch of ice going uphill. The owners had to unload the trailer to move it then I had to hook up my chains to pull the trailer out of the "gutter". I spent a good hour laying down salt sand and branches so it would get traction when we started pulling.
Invest in tow chains (not straps) trench shovel etc... maybe snow chains or cables (if they make them for motorhomes).
It was a tiny hill around a curve.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Motorhome - 01/19/22 08:24 AM

Nvwrangler - we loved using it.

No motel cooties. Bathroom whenever you need it. I could request a Turkey sandwich, grapes, or iced tea (my staples) at any time, and even sometimes get them! Load up at home and no more carrying in/out/up/down. Anywhere is a motel.
Generator, roof ac runs on generator system or 30 amp. 12 volt system for lights and water and frig. Propane system for heat and frig. 30amp 220 system for shore power.
Water heater, full bath and sink and shower, kitchen, microwave, frig, table, freezer, couch, table, chairs, bedroom, loft bunk.

A great way to travel.

Re: Motorhome - 01/21/22 02:53 AM

Talked to my cousin today -- he said none of the guys he runs with clam (and he doesn't) -- but the crabbing has been great anywhere in the bay. What it will be like in june is ?. Give me a PM a couple weeks before you leave and I will see if he has better info. sounds like the oysters are still going strong (he used to date one of the daughters -- 30+ years ago).

Re: Motorhome - 01/21/22 03:12 AM

Thanks will do
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Motorhome - 01/21/22 03:39 AM

I gott know what kinda lambs bring $2,500 a head ?? I may need to get rid of my cows !

Re: Motorhome - 01/21/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pirogue
I gott know what kinda lambs bring $2,500 a head ?? I may need to get rid of my cows !

Club lambs for shows
Posted By: charles

Re: Motorhome - 01/21/22 05:10 PM

Need to protect from freezing waterlines in dead of winter.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums