Home

Worms in otters

Posted By: k snow

Worms in otters - 01/18/22 02:32 PM

The otter I caught over the weekend is the second one in 2 years that has had long, white worms in the leg meat. I looked on the internet and apparently this is seen in several mustelids. Anyone else seen this?

Here is page from the MI DNR on the worms: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79608_85016-27119--,00.html
Posted By: white17

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 02:36 PM

Pretty common in aquatic critters as well as ungulates that spend time in the water........ like moose

Dracunculus Insignis in most critters but Dracunculus lutrae in otters
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 02:37 PM

Seen for years in otters and coons.

Guinea worms in the ankle joints. Subcutaneous worms under the skin all over the body.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 02:39 PM

Yup. No experience with otters, whatsoever but have seen 'ankle worms' in skunks, coons and badgers.

They are not in the meat, but in the fluid surrounding the joints, It is a little creepy when you open up the leg to skin, and they pop out all coiled up and squirmy. grin

Charlie

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Yup. No experience with otters, whatsoever but have seen 'ankle worms' in skunks, coons and badgers.

They are not in the meat, but in the fluid surrounding the joints, It is a little creepy when you open up the leg to skin, and the pop out all coiled up and squirmy. sick

Charlie

Yep, they almost looked like a tendon at first, but then I pulled out three that were almost 6 inches long. I don't get squeamish over much, but worms in just about anything will do it for me.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:01 PM

These little beauties?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:12 PM

Yep, those are the little devils.

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:19 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:21 PM

So thats where they get spaghetti.
Posted By: white17

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:22 PM

They actually have a pretty complex and interesting life cycle...........but they are creepy looking
Posted By: waggler

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 08:59 PM

Yuck sick
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 09:01 PM

Guinea worms in people are a big and disgusting problem in Africa. Infected people spread the worms by going into the same water they drink. The worms come out of their legs and release thousands of eggs, which people then drink, spreading the worms.

Some other parasitic worms in Africa are spread by people defecating in their drinking water. They defecate in the water because they clean themselves up with it, instead of dry wiping.

PBS did a few programs on the parasites problems in Africa, that were interesting and disgusting. The Africans won't listen to the foreign doctors that try to help them, so the doctors pay influential Africans to make the other Africans practice better sanitation, even flogging them when they enter the water, in some cases.

Keith
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
So thats where they get spaghetti.

Damit Logger , you just ruined my supper ..
now I'll never be able to eat spaghetti again ...

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 09:50 PM

Chinese it is then!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 10:19 PM

Not uncommon in Otter.
Dont worry about it just cook it with noodles.
The chinamen dry them up and call it Ramen.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Worms in otters - 01/18/22 10:25 PM

I have put up a lot of otter. If??? I ever she this I am definitely quitting eating otter……….
© 2024 Trapperman Forums