Home

Camp run.

Posted By: Boco

Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:10 PM

Did a run today into the North Driftwood River camp to open the trail.Me and the wife will spend a couple days a week in there from now until April,just kicking back.I'll cut some wood for next year and set a few boxes and snares just to have something to check while in there.
Snow was deeper than I figured,especially closer to the river and the tundra was pushing lots but never got stuck.Just plowing slow and steady.The extra wide ski skins really makes a huge difference when breaking trail in the deep powder.
Had to put the snowshoes on and check ahead where I figured some trees would be down.Turned out I only had to cut one,the rest I could drive over them,they came down earlier and were just under the snow enough for the tundra to float over.
Lots of tracks,smoking fresh moose tracks on the high ground-they are yarding there,they do every winter.Lynx walked right past the cabin and crossed the river.Seen wolf tracks and lots of rabbit tracks and cat tracks all the way in.No marten tracks that i could notice,they are likely under the snow in there.
Took a few pics of my day Beautiful day in the bush-minus 18c with no wind.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mac

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:16 PM

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Mac
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:18 PM

Looks awesome!
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:22 PM

Stunning to a flat land corn field boy, beautiful. Thanks for the pics.
Me
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:23 PM

Beautiful pics my man... Saw a shovel handle in one - that should come in handy!! LOL!
Never seen the front end of a snow go buried like that!!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:28 PM

I thought you lived in a igloo and used dogs for transportation? Canada is in the house…….!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:49 PM

Beautiful place. When the snow piles up, do you need to shovel off the roof?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:51 PM

That looks like work...slogging around in that....

But it is sure pretty.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:56 PM

Great pics, lots of snow, and living the dream. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 10:57 PM

That kind of snow is only an hour or so away from where I live. And it can stay there!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 11:06 PM

Awesome pictures Boco, thanks for posting.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 11:14 PM

Looks cold, lol. But thanks for sharing, cool pictures and story.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 11:29 PM

How come Gibb has the big 4 stroke machine and you just have a tired old 2 stroke? He must have better fur country!
Do you have a quota you have to catch on that area?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Camp run. - 01/18/22 11:44 PM

Thanks for sharing Robert. Show us the resulting catch from your foray into the bush!

Chris

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
How come Gibb has the big 4 stroke machine and you just have a tired old 2 stroke? He must have better fur country!
Do you have a quota you have to catch on that area?

I use my skandic 4 stroke for longer trips on my northern line.MT.I like the 550 for running light.
Open quota on that line.
Baseline for that area would be about 12 lynx,40 marten and 40 beaver.Adjusted year to year indicated by what is in the bush (Natural cycles}.
Lots more fisher on this line compared to the northern line.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to future reports.

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

But it is sure pretty.

Opening new trail is a lot of work,Breaking a maintained trail isnt too bad.Once the trail is opened its a breeze after.Just the odd downed tree to buck up once in a while-gotta get firewood anyway.

if it wasnt for work at the camp you wouldnt have anything to do..Every activity at a bush camp is some kind of work.
You know-hewer of wood and hauler of water,lol.
That trail I broke out goes for many miles across the river.if I get bored I can always go for a ride and open some more trail.There is also a trail that goes both north and south from the cabin along the river.Back in the day people who lived in the bush called them their "wood road"They would start at the camp and year after year cut their wood,making a road into the bush towards a fishing lake or somewhere else they wanted to go.Every time they cut wood,the road would be extended,after many years for miles and miles.The wood roads were also the trapping trails and went thru well known productive winter hunting grounds.

Where a few families lived in the bush each would have their own "wood road" going out to the hunting and trapping grounds like spokes,each family had their own areas.

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Beautiful place. When the snow piles up, do you need to shovel off the roof?

Some years in feb or march I will shovel the roof,even at home.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

But it is sure pretty.

Opening new trail is a lot of work,Breaking a maintained trail isnt too bad.Once the trail is opened its a breeze after.Just the odd downed tree to buck up once in a while-gotta get firewood anyway.

if it wasnt for work at the camp you wouldnt have anything to do..Every activity at a bush camp is some kind of work.
You know-hewer of wood and hauler of water,lol.
That trail I broke out goes for many miles across the river.if I get bored I can always go for a ride and open some more trail.There is also a trail that goes both north and south from the cabin along the river.Back in the day people who lived in the bush called them their "wood road"They would start at the camp and year after year cut their wood,making a road into the bush towards a fishing lake or somewhere else they wanted to go.Every time they cut wood,the road would be extended,after many years for miles and miles.The wood roads were also the trapping trails and went thru well known productive winter hunting grounds.

Where a few families lived in the bush each would have their own "wood road" going out to the hunting and trapping grounds like spokes,each family had their own areas.

Fascinating the way families created their own road!

Chris
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:48 AM

That is beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vinke
I thought you lived in a igloo and used dogs for transportation? Canada is in the house…….!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha he does on" Holiday "

Great photos Boco!!!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 01:36 AM

Looks like you are enjoying life, Boco.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 01:50 AM

Those fold-up ramps are nice . what we did was place a center ramp as well,
got the rubber from where they walk in arena's with the skates over cement
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 01:54 AM

Nice. You got trail busted in to camp. Any problem with a big wind drifting in that trail??
Posted By: jk

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 02:04 AM

Nice to have a day without the wind once in awhile. It makes the cold bearable. Beautiful country there, enjoy......jk

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Nice. You got trail busted in to camp. Any problem with a big wind drifting in that trail??

Up on the high ground where the moose hang out it drifts all the time.Inside the bush no drifting.Even where it drifts,once the base is there its no problem going in even after a good fall of snow.Worst thing about the drifts is the potholes in the trail between where it drifted.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Camp run. - 01/19/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by 3 Fingers

Up on the high ground where the moose hang out it drifts all the time.Inside the bush no drifting.Even where it drifts,once the base is there its no problem going in even after a good fall of snow.Worst thing about the drifts is the potholes in the trail between where it drifted.

Yeah I always try to get initial base double wide so easier if it drifts in. I hate when it fills in at a 45 degree angle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums