Home

Hot Sauce Map

Posted By: Pike River

Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 10:40 AM

[Linked Image]
I was surprised WI is sirache. Personally I prefer Louisiana Original (I call it red spot) or Franks. A couple in here I never heard of that I’d be interested to try and curious if locals on here like them.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 10:55 AM

between , hipsters and Asian I am not that surprised

one Indian (from India) family is going to eat 10x maybe 20X maybe 100X the hot sauce of one Norwegian or Finish family

my mom has probably had 2 of the little bottles of tabasco in the last 10 years they are more likely to get tossed in the trash when they have expired than finished

we use Crystals or Louisiana original mostly because 20 years ago one of my Louisiana customers sent me some and I liked it but we also buy korean hot sauce also.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 11:06 AM

I just finished off a Green Hot sauce ( Coon - arse ) from New Orleans
My Daughter n son in law bought me while there
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 11:13 AM

Geographically- that's a lot more Rooster Juice consumption than I would've guessed
Posted By: midlander

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Geographically- that's a lot more Rooster Juice consumption than I would've guessed

Me too, never heard of that stuff until just a few years back. Loisiana or Franks is the staple around here.
Posted By: run

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 12:26 PM

I prefer to buy Virginia made hot sauce. The one brand I have bought is called stimulus sauce. Pretty expensive though.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 12:30 PM

I'm a siracha fan myself. Also never heard of it until a few years ago, but it is tasty on most things. I prefer Tabasco if I'm adding it to soup, and Louisiana is pretty good on meat, but it has a sweet flavor that doesn't go with everything and overall siracha is the one I reach for the most often.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 12:36 PM

I like tobasco brand of Hot sauce too.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 12:50 PM

I don't like hot sauce at all. Instead, we grow cayennes and habenaros, freeze them and cook with them. Get the heat and flavor without the vinegar.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 01:13 PM

My go-to is usually Tobasco original. Smoked Habenero Tobasco is alright, but it's not as hot as the original. Sometimes I reach for the Louisiana hot sauce, or maybe Sriracha on a turkey or ham sammich. Cholula isn't bad either.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 01:16 PM

Frank's fan here, maybe because I was raised in the Frank's zone of the map, lol. I tried siracha when everyone was talking about it several years back and I was NOT a fan.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 01:17 PM

Most got sauces have too much vinegar for my tastes. I so love me some sriracha sauce, though.
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 01:29 PM

Texas Pete or Frank's here. Not really all that picky when it comes to hot sauce. Can't stand Sriracha though.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 01:35 PM

Frank's Red Hot sauce here, but I blend in some Dave's Insanity sauce to turn up the heat a bit! [Linked Image]
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 02:49 PM

Tomato ketchup is OK, if diluted with just a little water.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 02:56 PM

From Iowa....Never heard of Burmans. Google said it is an Aldi's groc store brand.

I got some stuff for Christmas a few years ago called "the general's hot sauce". It looks like a glass grenade. I couldn't take it. Wow.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 02:59 PM

Franks
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 03:14 PM

Small specialty shop near me -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Frank's Red Hot sauce here, but I blend in some Dave's Insanity sauce to turn up the heat a bit! [Linked Image]

Dave's insanity is nuts.
You can put some on a toothpick and mix in to whatever and you know its in there.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 04:13 PM

I like to make my own, from Jalapeño peppers-fermented.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

one Indian (from India) family is going to eat 10x maybe 20X maybe 100X the hot sauce of one Norwegian or Finish family

Yup. Like a good squarehead I prefer my food colorless and flavorless. And that’s the Wisconsin I remember. : )

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011
[Linked Image]

That looks nice !!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 04:49 PM

Never even heard of Burman's??? Supposed to be the most popular here.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 05:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Looks delicious.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/20/22 05:15 PM

Our fridge looks like that specialty shop lol, well maybe not that bad but off the top of my head I can list at least 7 name brand hot sauces plus 1 bottle of vinegar and whole peppers type sauce. Then you get into the taco sauces and bbq sauces plus the salsas. And those are just store bought who knows what she'll bring home that's homemade from our friends house. Most of it is so dang hot I can't eat it but she likes it. O don't forget pickled peppers both store bought and homemade.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 03:20 AM

I eat a lot of siracha. We eat a lot of siracha spiked ketchup. When my sons and son in laws are around we go through a lot of spicy ketchup.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 03:33 AM

Any Asian Hot Sauce, but my fav is . . .
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 03:44 AM

What in the Lord's good name ..... Some Yankee liberal from new your probably made this Tabasco dominants that south !
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 03:45 AM

Due to the last thread on this subject I tried siracha and it’s good but my favorite is still crawdads classics or this is the sauce. Use every day
Posted By: waggler

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 03:58 AM

On the west coast anyway I think they probably got it right with siracha; particularly when it comes to the preference of the younger crowd.
I prefer La Victoria Salsa Brava.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 04:27 AM

I really like Franks. We use over a gallon a year. Franks has a good flavor, not just heat. I sweat hard when I use a lot of Franks.

I want to try Siracha.

Keith
Posted By: Minker

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 04:46 AM

Franks
Tabasco original
Posted By: waggler

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 04:52 AM

I think they have watered down Tabasco over the years. I remember when I was a kid (late 60's) Tabasco would make your lips blister. I just can't get the heat out of it that I used to.
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 04:57 AM

Tobasco brand of Hot sauce here.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I think that's the Aldi's brand.
Posted By: Niteblaster

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:07 AM

I like to drink Franks red hot straight from the bottle.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 12:55 PM

Green Tobasco for me.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:00 PM

chalula is my wifes favorite but im a louisiana man myself. will try any kind but louisiana is my favorite
Posted By: warrior

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by SJA
[Linked Image]

Where is that stuff made? China?

Not sure but it says Vietnam on the label.

My understanding is that Sriracha as we know it is Thai in origin though supposedly there are local versions all across southeast asia.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23

I think that's the Aldi's brand.

I almost never go there, likely why I never heard of it.

I agree with SJA that stuff is great.

run, the label says California, so close! laugh

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by SJA
[Linked Image]

Where is that stuff made? China?

Not sure but it says Vietnam on the label.

My understanding is that Sriracha as we know it is Thai in origin though supposedly there are local versions all across southeast asia.
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
I don't like hot sauce at all. Instead, we grow cayennes and habenaros, freeze them and cook with them. Get the heat and flavor without the vinegar.

But I love the vinegar too!

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:48 PM

Warrior...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 05:49 PM

[Linked Image]

Yup burmans is what my wife buys at Aldis

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 07:46 PM

Warrior...

[Linked Image]

Saw that but is it an import?

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Warrior...

[Linked Image]

"Huy Fong Foods is an American hot sauce company based in Irwindale, California.[1] Beginning in 1980 on Spring Street in Los Angeles's Chinatown[citation needed], it has grown to become one of the leaders in the Asian hot sauce market, particularly in Sriracha sauce popularly referred to as rooster sauce due to the image of a rooster on the label."
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 09:14 PM

That color of Green lids are a Give away. Same company as Sriracha just a different flavor and packaging. Have both in the fridge, taste different use for different things, Also keep Franks for making Wings. Tabasco for boosting stuff at the table. Also have some Thai Super Hot Roasted Chili Oil. From the Asian Grocery store. Which is more of a paste that I use in Soups and Stews and some noodle dishes. I guarantee The jar I have will last for many years, A little goes a long way.

Plan to make some fermented Pepper sauce Like Phil does this year.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 09:46 PM

Let me know if you need a taste tester when you get it done Horn. I've got a couple shelves of stuff like that in the door of fridge but there's always room for one more.

On a related note,,, anyone use something a little different than Tabasco in bloody marys for the hot sauce?

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:21 PM

Let me know if you need a taste tester when you get it done Horn. I've got a couple shelves of stuff like that in the door of fridge but there's always room for one more.

On a related note,,, anyone use something a little different than Tabasco in bloody marys for the hot sauce?

I make Bloody Marys all the time.I have tried pretty much every mix out there,,and have made my own mixes.If you are a Bloody Mary fan,,do yourselfe a favor and get a jug of "Ubons Hot and Spicey Bloody Mary Mix".Best I ever had,,and I have tried em all.You need to add NOTHING to it but the Vodka,,and I like mine spicey.I first found it when I was in North Carolina,,but found I can get it at our local Wegmans grocery store by me.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:21 PM

Warrior...

[Linked Image]

I think they make a couple but this one is gggrrraaaattteee, I like to sip it from the jar when we have it with dinner. Past that I'm a Tabasco kinda guy.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:25 PM

Sacrilege.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

I make Bloody Marys all the time.I have tried pretty much every mix out there,,and have made my own mixes.If you are a Bloody Mary fan,,do yourselfe a favor and get a jug of "Ubons Hot and Spicey Bloody Mary Mix".Best I ever had,,and I have tried em all.You need to add NOTHING to it but the Vodka,,and I like mine spicey.I first found it when I was in North Carolina,,but found I can get it at our local Wegmans grocery store by me.

Yeah but...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will look for that mix!
Posted By: SJA

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:33 PM

I started using this in1996. Wasn't even available in local stores at that time. Had to order it by the case of 12 jars from a distributor in Columbia, Maryland. I use it on everything, especially baked potatoes and chicken wings. Beware though, if you're not used to real hot sauce or peppers, use it sparingly at first!

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:33 PM

LOL,,yea my wife likes it when I put some celery sticks in them and line the rim of the glass with Jumbo Shrimp! smile

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:40 PM

[Linked Image]

PSB1011, care to give a recipe n method? Looks killer, any reason you can't mix different peppers same batch? Thanks.
Case

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:45 PM

We do bloody Maria's and salt with "Tajin classic" then spice with Tapatio or Chula works great in red beer too

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 10:48 PM

I'll make a red beer or michelada when I get home in an hour and just so I can post it for everyone lol
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/21/22 11:21 PM

Warrior...

[Linked Image]

Made in California Suburb of LA. Public nuisance and all LOL

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sriracha-hearing-20140409-story.html

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CaseXX
[Linked Image]

PSB1011, care to give a recipe n method? Looks killer, any reason you can't mix different peppers same batch? Thanks.
Case

Ill try tomorrow
I have added 5 Habanaros to a batch just to up the heat a tad, worked great.Have a friend that got me into this that loves the Habanaro pepper taste, but not the Habanaro heat.I may try to ferment some red ,or yellow bell peppers with just some Habanaros for taste and heat this Summer.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 12:17 AM

Thank you looking forward to it, would really like to try it
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
[Linked Image]
I was surprised WI is sirache. Personally I prefer Louisiana Original (I call it red spot) or Franks. A couple in here I never heard of that I’d be interested to try and curious if locals on here like them.

That map is blasphemy, Tobasco was around long before LA OG came about. Tobasco is what I normally use, although I have tried a lot of hot sauces over the years. Probably one of my close favorites is any of the mustard based hot sauces.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 12:37 AM

Ill try tomorrow
I have added 5 Habanaros to a batch just to up the heat a tad, worked great.Have a friend that got me into this that loves the Habanaro pepper taste, but not the Habanaro heat.I may try to ferment some red ,or yellow bell peppers with just some Habanaros for taste and heat this Summer.

Phil, get you some Aji Dulce pepper seeds. Habanero flavor with little heat.
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 12:48 AM

Ill try tomorrow

Please do share your process if you don't mind. Always wanted to try fermenting peppers like this myself.

The color you got the Jap batch pictured is incredible!

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Ill try tomorrow

Phil, get you some Aji Dulce pepper seeds. Habanero flavor with little heat.

Love Aji Dulce. You get the habenero citrusy sweet with a only a hint of peppery zing.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 03:39 PM

I'm with ADC never heard of Burmans and I don't go to Aldi's.

I like many kinds of hot sauces and they go on different foods.

Tabasco- Eggs and pizza.
Chalula Reg.- About anything. Rice,noodles,smoked oysters.
Chalula Chipotle- Hamburger helper,noodles
Khans Island Sauce- Any kind of meat. Beef,pork. Put on 4-5 drops and rub it around with a fork before cooking.
Datil Do It Drops- Anything

One of my favorites for meat was called Atlanta Burning. 3-4 drops and smear it around on a steak is all you needed. Alas they don't make it any more.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 08:32 PM

Warrior...

[Linked Image]

Nope. Made in Cali, same outfit that makes the most popular sriracha sauce. There's a How Its Made episode on how they make their sriracha.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 08:37 PM

I use sriracha as ketchup's replacement. I also like the different versions of El Yucateco Habanero sauces. The green and black ones especially. Louisiana red dot sauce isn't a hot sauce, that stuff is red water and vinegar lol.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 09:19 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I use apple cider vinegar,and I run the peppers with the brine strained off through a victorian strainer.
Those are cayenne peppers in the small jug.Jalapeno in the big jug.I grow my own peppers.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by imissed
I'm with ADC never heard of Burmans and I don't go to Aldi's.

I like many kinds of hot sauces and they go on different foods.

Tabasco- Eggs and pizza.
Chalula Reg.- About anything. Rice,noodles,smoked oysters.
Chalula Chipotle- Hamburger helper,noodles
Khans Island Sauce- Any kind of meat. Beef,pork. Put on 4-5 drops and rub it around with a fork before cooking.
Datil Do It Drops- Anything

One of my favorites for meat was called Atlanta Burning. 3-4 drops and smear it around on a steak is all you needed. Alas they don't make it any more.

I forgot the mention Brother Bru Bru's. Great on meat before you cook it and on hamburgers. Put 3-4 drops on a burger and mix it up. Cook how you like,

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 09:43 PM

PSB1011, thank you so much, can't wait till next garden. It did bring to mind the time wife and I tried to make our own hot pepped seasonings, started and ended by putting dried garden peppers in a food processor, instantly halted all breathing, water pouring out of eyes, chased us and dog out of house for several hours. Thanks again.
Case
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by btomlin
From Iowa....Never heard of Burmans. Google said it is an Aldi's groc store brand.

I got some stuff for Christmas a few years ago called "the general's hot sauce". It looks like a glass grenade. I couldn't take it. Wow.

I had never heard of Burmans either. That's a new one on me.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 10:20 PM

This is the strainer we use.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 10:31 PM

if you think about it this way every Asian restaurant you go in there is a bottle of Sriracha on every table

now if we went through my Wisconsin family members you could fill a big Asian buffet , but we can be honest we get together for fish boils and fish fries not chili cooks.

if you bring medium salsa to a picnic you best plan to eat it all most of them aren't going to be much help a few of them will eat Medium. hot , forget about it.

boiled fish ,potatoes , white onions .butter , Rye bread ,salt and pepper they might take one shake of Tabasco in their bloody Mary on Sunday morning but that is only maybe 10% of them most would just crack another beer.

given that collectively they probably have 25 bottles of Tabasco in 75 houses and the bottle is probably 3+ years old before it's used up

one Asian buffet serves enough sriracha to knock them all out .

the Asian market is just going to consume so much more in a week than us fish belly white Scandinavians consume in a year for hot sauce.

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/22/22 10:50 PM

My Wife, who does not like hot sauce helping me.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hot Sauce Map - 01/23/22 01:30 PM

She's not a happy camper!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums