Home

Diets matter.

Posted By: Law Dog

Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:01 PM

After spending years of eating like a 10 year old with his first $100 bill it seems that caught up with me and my sugar fueled diet turned against me lately. A1C was 11.6 and my cholesterol was 240 pretty out of wack really. The A1C was the record my Dr. said highest they had ever seen I guess I’m a winner for that to date. LOL Not good they started to talk daily shots for the rest of my days in fact my PA wanted me to start shots when this all came about.

I said that won’t work for me I’ll change my diet and get back to her in 3 months. My PA was not happy but I knew how stupid I had been eating it was never a issue before that. She referred me to the Doc and we visited and he agreed the 3 month trial.

So I quit pop, raw sugar, white bread, milk, rice, candy, donuts, butter, any added salt and no fatty foods not that I ate a lot of fatty foods never could stomach them.

Tested this week my A1C was down 3.5 points and the cholesterol dropped to 123 with the help of some meds they put me on and diet changes. Still need to work on the A1C will see how low I can get that. Quitting was a nightmare don’t let it go that far the diet is a nightmare also your option are limited it seems tree bark is the only option at times. LOL

Just getting my head right now spent 2 months with a buzz on every waking moment it got old fast but cleared up over the last few weeks. So watch your diet it put a big ding in this years season and I was in good shape to begin with.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:03 PM

Don't eat anything fatty.
No, fatty........don't eat anything. laugh
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:06 PM

Told me the same thing.Started drinking chaga and everything dropped down to normal.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:18 PM

Water and coffee for me it seems with the less sugar less need to drink fluids all of the time so far. With the cholesterol so low I’ll ask about adding some butter to my diet dry popcorn sucks.
Posted By: GreginGA

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:18 PM

How does chaga taste?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:19 PM

“If it taste good, spit it out.”

Best diet for getting sugar and cholesterol back on track.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:30 PM

Buying prepared food is tough if you avoid fat, sugar and salt you have very few choices to make a diet plan with. Most foods advertise 2 of the lower impact ingredients and leave out the higher content ingredient to sound healthy on the cover.

Living on oats, eggs, whole grain breads, fruits and nuts mostly lucky lean meats are good for you just not to big of a piece. I lost 25 pounds thst I did not need to lose but I do feel better then before.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:33 PM

That is what happens as you get older if you don't take better care of yourself like you said. I'm as guilty as you are.
I have quit all the things you've mentioned except for milk (only skim) and butter. I can't see eating the fake butter with all the chemicals they use. You don't even have to refrigerate margarine like you do butter.

I take simvastatin for cholesterol. My last physical cholesterol was 148. What statin drug did they give you to drop from 240 to 123? That's a huge drop.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
After spending years of eating like a 10 year old with his first $100 bill it seems that caught up with me and my sugar fueled diet turned against me lately. A1C was 11.6 and my cholesterol was 240 pretty out of wack really. The A1C was the record my Dr. said highest they had ever seen I guess I’m a winner for that to date. LOL Not good they started to talk daily shots for the rest of my days in fact my PA wanted me to start shots when this all came about.

I said that won’t work for me I’ll change my diet and get back to her in 3 months. My PA was not happy but I knew how stupid I had been eating it was never a issue before that. She referred me to the Doc and we visited and he agreed the 3 month trial.

So I quit pop, raw sugar, white bread, milk, rice, candy, donuts, butter, any added salt and no fatty foods not that I ate a lot of fatty foods never could stomach them.

Tested this week my A1C was down 3.5 points and the cholesterol dropped to 123 with the help of some meds they put me on and diet changes. Still need to work on the A1C will see how low I can get that. Quitting was a nightmare don’t let it go that far the diet is a nightmare also your option are limited it seems tree bark is the only option at times. LOL

Just getting my head right now spent 2 months with a buzz on every waking moment it got old fast but cleared up over the last few weeks. So watch your diet it put a big ding in this years season and I was in good shape to begin with.

My wife said you could have gone into diabetic coma with those numbers.
You can have All the lean protein, fish, skinless chicken, turkey baked -with lemon on top.
Season with tarragon, turmeric, garlic, basil.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:38 PM

I’m in the same boat. Felt like crap for about the last year and finally went to the doctor. It was my A1C. Cut out the pop and little Debbi cakes and it’s helped a bunch. Keep on keeping on.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:40 PM

Water and coffee for me it seems with the less sugar less need to drink fluids all of the time so far. With the cholesterol so low I’ll ask about adding some butter to my diet dry popcorn sucks.

Try sprinkling some of your favor rubs on it.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
That is what happens as you get older if you don't take better care of yourself like you said. I'm as guilty as you are.
I have quit all the things you've mentioned except for milk (only skim) and butter. I can't see eating the fake butter with all the chemicals they use. You don't even have to refrigerate margarine like you do butter.

I take simvastatin for cholesterol. My last physical cholesterol was 148. What statin drug did they give you to drop from 240 to 123? That's a huge drop.

They gave me Crestor I’m not a fat eater never was, I love chicken but the chocolate must of been a lot of the problem I’m guessing.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:43 PM

11.6 A1C, rookie. lol

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

Try sprinkling some of your favor rubs on it.

Did find a butter tasting spray that had zero anything it makes it doable.

[Linked Image]

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

They gave me Crestor I’m not a fat eater never was, I love chicken but the chocolate must of been a lot of the problem I’m guessing.

They must have given you a mega dose to drop your cholesterol like that. Dark meat chicken has more cholesterol than white meat. I only eat white meat, don't like the taste of dark meat.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 05:52 PM

Same here no skin now I’m a breast and wing man myself.

Rosuvastatin generic Crestor 20 mg
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 06:03 PM

Its hard because you have to change Two peoples diet. I did similar to what you did Jerry last year. Worked wonders but the Wife can not stop baking, its in her blood. She also has no problem with cholesterol.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GreginGA
How does chaga taste?

Not much diffrent then black coffee.A little grittier.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 06:12 PM

Your getting it but still room for improvement.

Quit all sugar drinks also fruit and juices, the only fruit you can have is a avocodo, I recomend one a day. And quit all bread and pasta. If you want to eat bread and pasta make it from almond for coconut flour.

Do eat butter, salt and good fat, like olive oil, coconut oil, cheese,meat fish and eggs all you want, eat green lefy vegies evey day, keeps you fromgetting consipaded.

Dont avoid fat, and calories dont matter, eat animal fat. Justs avoid carbs and sugar of all types. You will lose weight eating fat belive it or not.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 06:47 PM

A close friend drove over the road for work and was concerned about becoming diabetic so ate alot of grapes thinking it was healthier than truck stop garbage. Didn't take into consideration that grapes are high in sugar and now his worst fears have come true. Had the right idea but didn't do the research.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 07:00 PM

YukonJeff nailed it. The added bonus is shortly after you convert to this way of eating, little to no carb, you actually eat less daily which fuels the weight loss. You also get off the "hangry bus" I used to not be able to go 4-5 hours without getting cranky from blood sugar issues. Not uncommon now to go 15-20 hours between meals with no side affects.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

Quit all sugar drinks also fruit and juices, the only fruit you can have is a avocodo, I recomend one a day. And quit all bread and pasta. If you want to eat bread and pasta make it from almond for coconut flour.

Do eat butter, salt and good fat, like olive oil, coconut oil, cheese,meat fish and eggs all you want, eat green lefy vegies evey day, keeps you fromgetting consipaded.

Dont avoid fat, and calories dont matter, eat animal fat. Justs avoid carbs and sugar of all types. You will lose weight eating fat belive it or not.

I agree with you on everything except the part about green vegetables keeping you from getting constipated. That didn't work for me. It got so bad I had to resort to using MiraLax which my doctor told me wasn't good to use as often as I was using it because your body will start to depend on it. Instead, every night before I go to bed, I eat one apple.

That worked pretty well until I found out I have Stage 3 kidney disease. When I ended up seeing a nephrologist, I was told to get off the high protein, low carb diet because of my rising creatinine levels. I don't eat as much protein as the diet dictates, but still stay away from carbs pretty much and eat lots of vegetables and do eat certain fruits mostly cantaloupe.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 09:22 PM

You stick with a high fiber diet things work well, what is not so important one minute can be a crisis just a few minutes later! LOL laugh
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 10:13 PM

I'm going to tell you something that's going to blow your mind especially if you think fats are bad.

My son was athletic in high school, played high school football and was 6-2 and 255 pounds at graduation and fit. By the time he was in his late 20's he was over 300. He is a software developer so he sits all day and he drank a lot of Mountain Dew. By age 38, he was 405 pounds, high blood pressure, going diabetic, high cholesterol and overall bad health. He read some things about carbs and fats and proteins and made a decision.

He went on a diet of animal fats. He ate a stick of butter for 3 meals a day. When he would get tired of the butter, he would drink a carton of heavy whipping cream

Did that for three months! Lost 50 pounds then started adding some other proteins into the diet but still eats a lot of fat. One year later he is down to 295 and needs to have a lot of saggy skin surgically removed. His blood pressure is down, no longer in danger of diabetes and even his cholesterol is way down. He eats a little vegetables but mostly meat and animal fat. His doctor can't believe it but she just says keep at it. He says he has more energy than he has in years.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/20/22 11:35 PM

The issue with that is high protein diets are linked to brain issues my Doc said meat yes but portions the size of the palm of your hand not any bigger then that where fruits and vegetables don’t have that impact on the brain. Big difference in drinking juices and eating the pulp of the fruits on the intake side and digestion and absorbing the sugar.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:06 AM

I was given Rosuvastatin years ago to take but had to stop it and any other statin due to the leg cramps I was getting at night. Couldnt get much sleep with them it was pretty bad. You get those kinds of cramps you don't get back to sleep very easily. I hope you don't experience that side effect.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I was given Rosuvastatin years ago to take but had to stop it and any other statin due to the leg cramps I was getting at night. Couldnt get much sleep with them it was pretty bad. You get those kinds of cramps you don't get back to sleep very easily. I hope you don't experience that side effect.

No issues so far the Metformin knocks me out for a short nap I take the AM med about 4 AM when I let the dog out and check the boiler.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:31 AM

Good diet and daily exercise is important to have good quality of life.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:33 AM

Vitamin D with the statins.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:43 AM

How many follow a "keto" diet? Then there are people who do keto but also fast regularity. My wife tries to do keto to control her diabetes (such as reduce her insulin amounts, she's type 2 but uses insulin--used to use LOTS of insulin). The problem is that for her truly following keto is hard. I'll eat whatever is around...
Posted By: K52

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 01:26 AM

Last year I carried a beaver out across a muddy field to the truck and thought i was going to have a heart attack and couldn't hardly catch my breath. My knees had been hurting. A few days later I weighed at my daughters house and I weighed 225 and I'm 5' 10" . I decided to do something about it then and there. I try to have a low carb diet and I don't eat till 9-10 in the morning and do not eat after 6 pm. I have a slice of keto bread a day and alot of days have a serving of keto ice cream for dessert. No other breads, candy pasta or fruit. Eat eggs, meat, cheese, and lots of green vegetables. Also lots of water. I lost 50 pounds and now weigh 173 to 175 and feel like I'm 20 years younger. I can bend over and put my palms on the floor now, I don't do that very often but I can do it now. The knee pain went away and my stamina is back. I would recommend any one to try it. It has really improved the quality of my life.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 01:35 AM

no keto for me.....balanced carbs, protein and fats...all natural foods and not much processed food at all... some pasta sauces is about it for processed foods. I keep around 2500 calories a day intake. 65, 6', 195, 34" waist. I do regular aerobic capacity training and regular strength training.
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 02:04 AM

Did find a butter tasting spray that had zero anything it makes it doable.

[Linked Image]

Ingredients:

Real butter: Cream, salt

The abomination pictured: Soy bean oil, natural butter flavor, beta carotene (for color), contains milk

Diets matter for sure man. Good luck to you.
Posted By: nate

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 03:39 AM

Sounds like you all are in weight watchers or some BS, I'm sticin to steak Ribeyes cooked rare with tons of salt throw in some green beans and some potatoes and a couple glasses of raw milk. O ya did I forget to say my blood panel is a straight A.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 03:43 AM

The issue with that is high protein diets are linked to brain issues my Doc said meat yes but portions the size of the palm of your hand not any bigger then that where fruits and vegetables don’t have that impact on the brain. Big difference in drinking juices and eating the pulp of the fruits on the intake side and digestion and absorbing the sugar.

Has your Dr, seen his lately
Posted By: adam m

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 03:57 AM

Jerry that might be true for some but not all. The main reason doctors say limit meats is because of the saturated fats and the link to strokes.

My neurologists and primary dr all recommended me having high protein high fat low carb diet but also to include lots of fruits and veggies. This diet is typically recommended for people with neurological disorders like seizures and others.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:05 AM

"Diets matter"

What a novel concept. I wonder why our medical professionals have been so slow to catch on to that truth.

As a guide, my biggest headache is obese clients. More often than not a bear we see (that my sorry old 64 y.o. butt could run out and shoot) may as well be on the moon, many of my hunters just can't get there.

I'm not trying to insult you guys who have put on a few too many pounds, but it just pains me to see so many outdoorsmen who aren't physically able to do what they would really like to be doing.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:07 AM

5.5 years of fibro and other issues and still learning how diet affects me. I try my best to limit my intake of most dairy foods as they are inflammatory foods.
Also I take numerous vitamins as opposed to a multivitamin. The multi is good but not like ther straight vitamin. Also certain supplements also significantly help
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:18 AM

I think for most of us the cholesterol issues are more genetic rather than cholesterol that we consume. The blood sugar is the far more concerning issue. I also was up there with a sky high A1c but with exercise, proper diet and metformin my last A1c was 5.9

For those of us diabetics that are still producing are own insulin it is important to get exercise so that our cells can use that insulin to absorb sugar.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:20 AM

Sounds like living will kill you! lol

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:33 AM

I lost 25 pounds and I’m not fat or out of shape like said lots of folks can’t walk up a flight of stairs or tie their shoes. I went through the academy at age 50 the oldest guy there and could out jog 3/4 of my class and keep up with most of the rest. I cut my cholesterol in half in 3 months so it’s diet with me sugar fueled for most of my life.

I thought I was invincible like most healthy folks but it catches up with you someday the young pups will find that out in the future. It was just a few years ago I had a clean bill of healthy after a series of check up tests “ no follow up needed” back then.

I’m surprised a fine figure of a man would even open this post 6 months ago I’d pass it up myself. LOL

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

^^^^^^^
THIS!!!!
If a doctor tells you to stay away from animal fats they are only regurgitating something they heard once (probably from a vegan).
Our bodies are made to consume animal fats. Stay away from fake fats or modified fats (especially ones that come in a yellow spray cans that say things like "Movie theater butter flavour").

Do shun any white carbs; wheat flour, potatoes, rice, sugar, etc.. Get soda out of your mind.

Heart disease had it's beginnings in agricultural societies (grain crops), meat eating hunter gathers didn't get heart disease until agriculture showed up along with modern processed foods. Take a tour of west coast Alaska and see what processed foods have done to the native Alaskans of the region. Literally every adult male I know in that area is diabetic, and many of them overweight. BTW, I know some guys who are as skinny as a rail that are diabetic too.
It's all due to modern carbs.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 07:57 AM

True

The natives here never ate any grains, sugar or fruit. We had none here. They ate a proper human diet of meat, fish,eggs,waterfowl,ptarmagin,rabbits and grouse greens,berries,marine mammals and their oil and survived in a very harsh winter conditions.

There are some old doctors' myths that need to be addressed.

1. Fruit : was only meant to be eaten in season, not every day. And if your insulin resistant eating none is best for now. Its full of sugar, and sugar is sugar, same with honey and the same with maple syrup its a very high carb sugar food. A banana has three teaspoons of sugar and a bunch of other carbs in it. Lemon water is good though do drink that every day.
you have been told that eating fruit is good for you and full of vitamin C. No its full of sugar and has some vitamin C. Get your vitamin C from better sources instead. Sourcrout is full of C, so is green leafy vegies.

2. Salt: Is bad for you. plugs up your arteries, dont eat it if you have a heart condition or hypertension; False. All animals need salt. Salt your food to taste. Look up the recent studies on it if you don't believe me. If you have been avoiding salt, start eating salt for one month and see how much better you feel.

3. "The cholesterol in eggs is bad for you" Totally false. eggs are a perfect food. they have every vitamin except vitamin C. Your body needs cholesterol to absorb Vitamin D. That was just another lie.

4." Fiber magically cancel's out carbs". I bought some Keto bread that had the same bad ingredients as regular white bread. the only difference is that they added plant fiber. Yea right. and if you think whole grain is any better its actually worse. Its full of lectins as well.

Milk: What is milk ? Its mammal food for baby cows to make them grow big and fat as fast as possible. It will do that to you too. And its full of milk sugars as well. Skim milk is even worse. they take out the fat and its condensed sugars then.

70% of American adults are becoming insulin resistant due to a high carb diet. Its the cause of 95% of heart conditions and all the diabetics. And all the hypertension

It can all be reversed even type two diabetes if the proper diet is followed.

If we continue with our teenage diet as we get older that will happen.

You dont even need to watch your food intake, eat all you want during meals but dont snack, and try to skip breakfast or one meal a day if you can.

Carbs hold water, and once you lower the carbs you will lose water weight right away like 20 lbs the first month without even going hungry.

Then your burning fat instead of sugar and carbs and losing it.

Its not as bad as it sounds. I eat everything I want pretty much just avoid grains and cane ,beet ,fructose sugar.

Once your blood sugar, hypertension and weight are under control, you can add in some carbs and have cheat days once in awhile.

Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:30 PM

I do think genetics factor in. My dad is 95 and eats what he wants, not the diet a Dr. would recommend. I must have blood from his moms side of family, men that died in their 70's from heart attacks and strokes. I just had to go on lipitor for high cholesterol even though I am not over weight, and do get out and do stuff, love chocolate, have to cut down some on that.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 12:42 PM

Trust the experts! Take your pills and eat the factory made sludge! Stay 6 feet away from red meat.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 01:48 PM

Vitamin D with the statins

Vitamin D is a great idea. But if you are taking a statin drug you need CoQ10 added as a supplement. Statins remove some of the CoQ10 from your heart muscle. That's been known for decades.

Better yet, follow some of the advice here (yukonjeff) and you won't need statins in 6 months.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 01:50 PM

Slippery slope a lot of foods are full of salt, saturated fats and sugars of all different names that hide their true nature, cutting out pop and chocolate seems to of had the biggest impact on my diet. A person has to eat something so the problems begins first thing in the day but eggs, oatmeal fill that gap then it gets tougher there on out.

A lot of foods are converted into sugars quickly, it seems the more processed the quicker it converts into sugars. From what I gather the idea is to get the food to travel through the intestines while slowly releasing what it has to offer along the way rather then a dump it all at once spiking your sugar levels.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 03:44 PM

It sounds like you have a good start. I know at the start of the pandemic when we went to hibernation my wife had great sucess with the weight watchers point loss plan and wanted me to try it. So I did. you do not cut out any food group. that helps because I like a few carbs. In the year plus of hibernation I dropped from 202 to 158.4 at my lowest weight. I did have a good time through the holidays about 10 lbs taking it off now lost 3 lbs in the last couple weeks.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:20 PM

Cholesterol is often a genetic factor (diet will not help you here). Consider this: My older sister who is vegetarian (occasional fish) was diagnosed with high cholesterol. About 130. She went on an oatmeal, red rice yeast etc etc diet with everything to reduce cholesterol. Avoided fats... blah blah blah. After three months she tested at 140. It's genetic!

I will add: my mother had high cholesterol. My dad did not. Of us six siblings three of us have high cholesterol issues, and three do not. Diet does not come into play in our case.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:35 PM

Fiber, fiber, fiber. Its so important but actually hard to get the recommended daily amount. Metamusil is easy to add to liquids and adds no taste, but much more is needed than just a additive. Dark chocolate has fiber and dark chocolate has healthy benefits. Consumed with a cup of coffee takes the bitterness away. I started snacking with dark chocolate years ago, to me it now tastes sweet. Eating normal chocolate now is almost impossible because it simply tastes way too sweet. Tortilla shells with high fiber are more common in supermarkets now. A high fiber shell may only have 4grams of carbs compared with 20+ carbs of a regular tortilla. Plus 10+ grams of fiber per shell. Overall, diets suck, but with some simple modifications and a bit of knowledge about nutrition, a diet is no longer "feels" like a diet. Its too bad there's no truth in advertising when it comes to the food we purchase. For those people trying to loose weight, my friend who is a cardiologist told me he tells his patients this. Just try and loose one pound per week. Otherwise people burn themselves out in the early stages of diets trying to loose too much. Do the math, 1 lb per week is 26 in a half year and much more sustainable than crash diets that are doomed to fail.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 04:47 PM

they very much do matter

Doc gave me similar news in September

I stopped all the sugar , rice , bread , if I was getting carbs they now come from a fruit or vegetable a few from milk

I had to really cut my milk consumption I was drinking a half gallon a day

milk is 12 carbs per cup

a lot of people don't realize one 20 ounce bottle of pop is 133% of daily sugar and they finished that on the way to work

I have dropped about 30 pounds since September

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Cholesterol is often a genetic factor (diet will not help you here). Consider this: My older sister who is vegetarian (occasional fish) was diagnosed with high cholesterol. About 130. She went on an oatmeal, red rice yeast etc etc diet with everything to reduce cholesterol. Avoided fats... blah blah blah. After three months she tested at 140. It's genetic!

I will add: my mother had high cholesterol. My dad did not. Of us six siblings three of us have high cholesterol issues, and three do not. Diet does not come into place in our case.

Just curious if this genetic high cholesterol has contributed to adverse health effects; Stroke, etc..
I'm am just guessing but maybe some people with high cholesterol don't end up with plugged up carotid arteries, and other bad stuff??
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:14 PM

What about tortilla chips, whiskey and purple or yellow potatoes since they’re not ‘white’ carbs?

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
What about tortilla chips, whiskey and purple or yellow potatoes since they’re not ‘white’ carbs?

all out

carrots , nuts , tea

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:22 PM

The studies say that healthiest foods to eat are made in mega factories by mega corporations! Trust the science (that was funded by the mega corporations or the Fed Gov bureaucrats who are also funded by the mega corps)!

Red meat and eggs that can be easily procured yourself or from your local community is bad for you.

[Linked Image]

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:26 PM

Oh my... this may sound radical but hear me out... what if her (terrible) diet is causing the high cholesterol?
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:30 PM

Dropped one of my jobs August 1st. I and my wife went low carb, not keto - could not do that, just us,couldn;t do that, cut out refined grains, and sugars. So Atkins type low carb and modified for us. I have lost 65 pounds and Kath has lost 32 pounds.
With dropping one job I have more time for exercise, like cutting firewood, etc. work around the house. I was working three jobs. We like low carb, Atkins like and it works for us. And yes genetics plays a factor, I am built like my moms side large but my numbers are great. My brother much smaller, weight is good and his number are terrible. He is built like my dads side. Find what works for you, but refined grains, and sugar are not good for us.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by waggler

I will add: my mother had high cholesterol. My dad did not. Of us six siblings three of us have high cholesterol issues, and three do not. Diet does not come into place in our case.

Just curious if this genetic high cholesterol has contributed to adverse health effects; Stroke, etc..
I'm am just guessing but maybe some people with high cholesterol don't end up with plugged up carotid arteries, and other bad stuff??

One of my brothers has refused to treat it with statins, etc. He is 76 years old and was recently found to have extremely high blood calcium and 60% blockage of one of his carotids. His heart was OK though.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by DecoyMacoy

Oh my... this may sound radical but hear me out... what if her (terrible) diet is causing the high cholesterol?

LOL...but her meat eating savage brother (me) also has high cholesterol which I am now pounding down with statins.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 05:57 PM

my meals for the next week look like this

chili
pork chops with green beans
stirfry with chicken , carrots , onions, peppers , zucchini, mushrooms I found a mushroom broth base that flavors and thickens the juice without adding carbs
Taco salad
eggs and bacon
baked chicken with green beans
foil packet fish with baked onion and green beans

I cut up extra stir fry veg and keep it in a container in the fridge so I can cook up a stir fry for lunch or eat leftovers
I also keep pork chops bagged 2 to a bag in the freezer for lunches and when I need a quick meal

snacks of cheese , almonds. peanuts , carrots , apples , pork rinds

drink coffee with just a little lactose free milk because it has half the carbs of regular milk
lots of water
iced tea
occasionally a small glass of milk

about the only reason to visit the middle of the grocery store is for dish soap , coffee , and spices a few canned tomatoes and beans for the chili.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:09 PM

My three secret ingredients to perfecting this 240 pound masterpiece of a body: Age, Genetics and Mountain Dew.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:15 PM

LOL...but her meat eating savage brother (me) also has high cholesterol which I am now pounding down with statins.

What if its not the her vegetables or your meats... what if its all the super processed grain slop, soy oil soaked, corn syrup injected sludge chemical concoctions that y'all (and almost every person) eat with it?

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:17 PM

Seriously there are a lot of factors. In 2006, I decided to do something about my weight. I was 240. I was very healthy and active (played a lot of basketball and worked hard outdoors) I'm genetically prone to be overweight. I dropped the sugar from my diet and almost all the carbs. No breads etc. Took me a little over a year to lose 40 pounds. Worked hard at keeping it off for 7 years (well not that hard I was just avoiding carbs, especially sugar carbs), then got prostate cancer. With my prostate removed it just suddenly got a lot harder to keep the weight off. Not sure on the reason, but it has something to do with having no prostate. At 55 I had knee surgery and was told by the surgeon I had to stop playing basketball. I played in leagues and pick-up games 3-4 times a week and was in super good shape.

Took only two years to put the 40 pounds back on. Not being able to exercise due to a bad knee is killing me and now I'm back addicted to Mtn Dew. Seriously guys, diet is important, but exercise is king. Not kidding. If you get a lot of exercise you can basically eat what you want.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Seriously guys, diet is important, but exercise is king. Not kidding. If you get a lot of exercise you can basically eat what you want.

If WEIGHT is the only metric that matters to you then sure.

If HEALTH is most important then this is completely wrong.

My truck would look great if I wash it every day but if I pee in the gas tank and put sand in the oil reservoir it really doesn't matter!

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:28 PM

Seriously guys, diet is important, but exercise is king. Not kidding. If you get a lot of exercise you can basically eat what you want.

My truck would look great if I wash it every day but if I pee in the gas tank and put sand in the oil reservoir it really doesn't matter!

I'm not suggesting you eat pee and sand.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:32 PM

if you have heart burn on any regular basis try cutting your sugar

I eventually figured out it was sugar and would avoid sugar after about 4pm so that I could sleep no beer after about 6 and stop eating anything a good 2 hours before bed

if I did eat a bunch of sugar I learned the hard way waking up to a mouth full of stomach acid at 2am and then puking my guts up it was a how much of the fun stuff could I get away with eating who didn't enjoy sweets , ice cream cake , pie

giving up the carbs for the diabetes , no heart burn
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:35 PM

No matter how much exercise you get eventually diet will catch up with you. I still look like I did 5 years ago. I do not feel the same. It takes more time for muscle and joint recovery after a hard day of physical activity. I need to get some motivation. Maybe the back of the Yoga class would help.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:39 PM

^Yup. a good natural foods diet and a good aerobic capacity/strength program is what people need to increase the quality of life as we age..,

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:52 PM

Slippery slope a lot of foods are full of salt, saturated fats and sugars of all different names that hide their true nature, cutting out pop and chocolate seems to of had the biggest impact on my diet. A person has to eat something so the problems begins first thing in the day but eggs, oatmeal fill that gap then it gets tougher there on out.

A lot of foods are converted into sugars quickly, it seems the more processed the quicker it converts into sugars. From what I gather the idea is to get the food to travel through the intestines while slowly releasing what it has to offer along the way rather then a dump it all at once spiking your sugar levels.

You dont have to worry about salt or saturated fats. Its all BS

Do worry about that bowl of oatmeal that will spike your blood sugar fast though.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:53 PM

What if its not the her vegetables or your meats... what if its all the super processed grain slop, soy oil soaked, corn syrup injected sludge chemical concoctions that y'all (and almost every person) eat with it?

This guy gets it.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:55 PM

Avoid all processed foods.....eat foods that have one ingredient on the label....

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 06:59 PM

Exactly. Real food don't have labels on it.

If your in the store reading labels your wasting your time. Its all bad for you. You have to make your own food with real ingredients. The packaged foods used cheap and harmful ingredients in everything without exception.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 07:11 PM

140 cholesterol number? I would take that all day. Mine was 312 without medication. Just had blood work done yesterday. 181 total 117 LDL. Doctor wants LDL under 70. It’s in your genes. Put me on 10 mg rovastatin and check in 3 months. I have had problems with muscle aches before.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 07:21 PM

Most people know what they should do. It just has to get bad enough for many to do it. I was living in the south when a dietician told me that many of her clients refused to change their diet to extend and improve their quality of life. It's a little late when you're scheduled for amputation.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 07:48 PM

What brain issues? Carnivore diet is actually prescribed to solve a lot of " brain issues" Fruit and Juices impact the liver. They have the impact as eating a snickers bar. Pulp does not "absorb sugar", it is sugar.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 08:27 PM

For those that are having trouble and maybe need a direction to look, here's a short video that gives an idea of where you need to be headed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGwb8_hbzUM

Kevin, I'm not a Dr but I don't believe it's all genetic. I have seen study results that say low LDL like suggested leads to more chances of strokes and heart attacks.
My mother passed years ago, almost 99. At 89 she had her first blood test ever. LDL 312, just like yours, but her good cholesterol was 72.

Before I changed my eating I always had a lot of carbs in my diet, but I was a heavy exercise type person. Previous to last year my average HDL was 29. Been like that since in my 20's. Genetics?
Went to removing almost all sugar and most carbs (always under 130/day, sometimes under 50) from my diet. Added much more fat.
Last blood work in August, HDL is UP to 45. Triglycerides down from 98 to 58. VLDL down from 21 to 11. All markers in the positive direction. My Dr says, " but your cholesterol is up, 163". I told him I had sent a video to him explaining why many Dr's that follow this new approach with their patients didn't worry about that. He says, 'send it to me again". I sent him 2, haven't heard a word since.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 08:29 PM

I have had problems with muscle aches before.

That's one of the known side affects of statins.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: Diets matter. - 01/21/22 10:22 PM

[/quote]
One of my brothers has refused to treat it with statins, etc. He is 76 years old and was recently found to have extremely high blood calcium and 60% blockage of one of his carotids. His heart was OK though.
[/quote]

Generally the heart is ok. But if the veins and arteries are plugged up, his heart will have no blood to pump. Having a high calcium level means he already has cardiovascular disease. The widow maker heart attack happens when calcium breaks off and lodges itself against a heart valve making the valve impossible to open due to the bodies own blood pressure pushing against the calcium particle. Once this happens, there is no blood supply to the brain.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/22/22 02:47 AM

Beaverpeeler
back to the carotid arteries. Do you get yours ultra sounded every few years? I do, but so far no problem. My Swedish ancestry has bestowed upon our family that clotting gene. We tend to get strokes, however everyone lived into their 90's. A couple of my aunts had to get there carotids reamed out. But none of them gave one wit about what they ate.
If you keep on top of things I'll bet you'll be fine eating the good stuff (meats, and animal fats), just stay away from the sugars and fake stuff.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Diets matter. - 01/22/22 03:11 AM

3togo, My total cholesterol was 312. My father died at age 47 of a heart attack so I believe it is in my Genes. Also I had 3 stents put in 10 years ago when I was 47.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/22/22 04:55 AM

So cutting out the 5 pounds of candy from Nuts.com. every month might help some? LOL Already did that might be why the cholesterol dropped in half in 3 months.

I’ll see what the Doc says next week when we go over the latest results on Tuesday and go from there thanks for all the input it’s interesting to hear all of the approaches to the problems.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/22/22 05:26 PM

Kevin,
I'd ask for a calcium test. Most stroke/heart attack/ valve problems are caused by excessive calcium buildup in veins and arteries. Calcium buildup as I understand is caused by the small, high density LDL (I believe that's the VLDL number).

These high fat diets usually reverse that.

Ask your Dr how much nutritional training he/she had in medical school.

My board certified Dr told me ZERO. That's why people are searching out other non-standard information. All of this new evidence has only become available in the last 14-16 years.

Goos luck.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/22/22 07:33 PM

I took that test I had zero build up I was in the zero percentage category that even surprised me the way I eat.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 12:54 AM

Acts 11-7
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 01:50 AM

Bumper stick I saw says this...
Eat healthy... Exercise... Die anyway!

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 02:03 AM

Seen the Doc he was happy with the drop in cholesterol still no Dino sticker for my effort. LOL We talked trapping mostly but now my eating options are way better so that’s a moral booster for me, he said some salt would not be a problem or butter. grin

No candy, pop, sugar, ice cream or sweets in the last 3 months and I feel better if I skip lunch I pay the price later in the afternoon the head gets a little foggy then. Recheck in 6 months will go from there.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
Bumper stick I saw says this...
Eat healthy... Exercise... Die anyway!

Yes, death is inescapable, but healthy people will generally live longer and more active lives than unhealthy folks.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 03:50 AM

Seen the Doc he was happy with the drop in cholesterol still no Dino sticker for my effort. LOL We talked trapping mostly but now my eating options are way better so that’s a moral booster for me, he said some salt would not be a problem or butter. grin

No candy, pop, sugar, ice cream or sweets in the last 3 months and I feel better if I skip lunch I pay the price later in the afternoon the head gets a little foggy then. Recheck in 6 months will go from there.

Glad he is smart enough to let you eat salt and butter, its actually good for you. eat all you want. Cholesterol was never a problem.

Looks like you stopped eating sugar, but carbs are the same thing. Thats why no sticker.

All Rice = Bad
Potatoes = Bad
All Bread = Bad
All Pasta =Bad
All Fruit =Bad
No beer of course.
Stop those to get your sticker.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 04:23 AM

^^^^^
Would you recommend that to everyone or just those with particular health issues?
I don't have any real health issues so I try to eat very little of those white carbs, but corn and oats I don't worry about.
And by cutting way back on white carbs, and essentially no soda, I feel justified in having a couple of good IPAs every week.
In other words I don't get "religious" about it.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 04:37 AM

No beer is not a issue for me rice, pasta I don’t eat but very rarely like 4 times a year. I do miss my potato’s but I am not longing for pop like I thought I would that Stevia makes my coffee normal so that great.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^
Would you recommend that to everyone or just those with particular health issues?
I don't have any real health issues so I try to eat very little of those white carbs, but corn and oats I don't worry about.
And by cutting way back on white carbs, and essentially no soda, I feel justified in having a couple of good IPAs every week.
In other words I don't get "religious" about it.

After living a life of eating a high carb diet ,many are becoming insulin resistant. Meaning your body is so flooded with carbs after years it quits producing insulin.

If you eat a keto diet meaning so low carb that it puts your body into ketosis and burning ketones thats your bodys fat,instead of carbs.That puts you back into producing insulin again

You can add carbs back into your diet if all is well with your blood sugar, not a daily flood of carbs again but a cheat day, or cheat beer wont hurt then. You can also burn those carbs in the form of exercise or sauna / both if you want.

Many on here reading this are in the same boat.

If you look down and have some gut hanging. That means you have viceral fat inside. Thats the bad fat that closes your arteries and causes the heart problems.

Most heart and other health problems are caused by a high carb diet, If you have high blood pressure a keto diet will cure that too, its the same problem.

Other signs are sleep apnea, snoring, (thats from a swollen tongue) thirsty dry mouth, frequent urination, headaches, skin tags, joint pain, swollen joints and feet, are signs of becoming insulin resistant.

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 12:02 PM

yukon explained it pretty well. Keto, less than 50 grams of carbs per day. Low carb, less than 130 grams of carbs per day. Many people who are diabetic that follow a keto diet can eventually add some carbs back into their meal plan with Dr's supervision.

Most patients also eventually can stop most or all of their diabetic medication.

This Dr specializes in treating people with diabetes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_6dKfHApC0
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Diets matter. - 01/31/22 02:46 PM

The missed chocolate is the caffeine withdraw symptoms you are experiencing now in the afternoon.( head ache)

As Bob Jameson pointed out muscle craps go hand in hand with taking stantin , Mg need to be taken over a long period of time to replace

Keep at er Law Dog

Re: Diets matter. - 02/01/22 12:58 PM

Make sure you get enough salt in your diet, to little can also cause headaches.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums