Home

Charging stations

Posted By: AntiGov

Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:36 AM

I'm sure these will double as brain washing stations as well

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a38802959/shell-ev-charging-station-uk/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:38 AM

Big dreams, big money for Some, big headaches for many
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Big dreams, big money for Some, big headaches for many

^^^THIS ^^^

Didn't California, not long ago, ask people to not charge their electric vehicles because of the strain on the power grid?

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:44 AM

I'm thinking we will see these stations full Priuses and libtards , and across the street will be an old school filling station full of conservatives

And a whole lot of stink eye ....lol
Posted By: hippie

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:48 AM

Depends on the "entertainment" they provide while your waiting. laugh
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I'm thinking we will see these stations full Priuses and libtards , and across the street will be an old school filling station full of conservatives

And a whole lot of stink eye ....lol

grin
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:49 AM

I'm making headway on my can of power idea.
Looks like a 1 gallon gas can with enough charge to make it to the next charging station
These crazies have money, and I want to take it.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by hippie

Heavy rains and puddles come to mind regarding entertainment...
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

I'm sure these will double as brain washing stations as well

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a38802959/shell-ev-charging-station-uk/

[Linked Image]

Just need Camel La Harris there to pump Lektricity into your tank. smile

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog
I'm making headway on my can of power idea.
Looks like a 1 gallon gas can with enough charge to make it to the next charging station
These crazies have money, and I want to take it.

Nice
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:10 AM

We are actually in line for the F150 electric truck, it's a little bit exciting to be honest. All the people who bought Teslas or other all electric vehicles are laughing at us now driving our big diesel trucks that cost a 100 dollar bill to fill up. Not only am I looking forward to "refilling" at a cheaper rate, but also eventually one day not having to rely on a utility company for power. Solar has come a long way in just a few years!
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:14 AM

I have a HS bud who joined the air force, found a brit wife and lives just outside of london(Ipswich). He had an electric ( nissan leaf), and was enjoying the cheap commute. Then covid hit -- he has been working from home since. The company tried to get him to come in to the office 3 days a week. He started to do this and realized all of the normal charging stations had been removed.He called the " authorities" to ask what the deal was and was informed that the money (grant) ran out so they removed the stations. ------ He sold the nissan and doesn't commute.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:17 AM

I have nothing against elecric power and think that it is much more efficient ---- but the technology isn't there yet.
Posted By: nt2

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:18 AM

We will all be able to sleep well again once the roads are full of electric vehicles, the air clears up, the world starts too cool down, the oceans drop back to constant levels and the glaciers get back to their old depth and length.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:19 AM

I will pass.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by nt2
We will all be able to sleep well again once the roads are full of electric vehicles, the air clears up, the world starts too cool down, the oceans drop back to constant levels and the glaciers get back to their old depth and length.

Lol
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:32 AM

The nearest "charging station" to me is 35 miles away. The greatest part of it is they put it in the lowest part of the parking lot. It has no drainage. So even a small rain floods it.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
The nearest "charging station" to me is 35 miles away. The greatest part of it is they put it in the lowest part of the parking lot. It has no drainage. So even a small rain floods it.

Electric and water. Awesome
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tofan
We are actually in line for the F150 electric truck, it's a little bit exciting to be honest. All the people who bought Teslas or other all electric vehicles are laughing at us now driving our big diesel trucks that cost a 100 dollar bill to fill up. Not only am I looking forward to "refilling" at a cheaper rate, but also eventually one day not having to rely on a utility company for power. Solar has come a long way in just a few years!

That 150 electric will not pull what that diesel or go the distance. Nothing wrong with electric if it works for you but its not even compairable.

Solar has come a down in price. The storage is the problem. Half your system cost will be batterys anx you will be replacing them in 5 to 7 years.

Now if you stay grid tied you dont need the storage but you still are dependant on the grid. When demand goes up so will prices of power. And the goverment can cime in at any time and change the rules of the game .

At least this has been my problem when thinking along the same lines. Maybe you have solutions i may have not thought of? I still plan on a small solar or maybe around a 10kw system grid tied with battery back up. But i go back and forth with it.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:38 AM

The Ingalls family lived with out it. wink
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:51 AM

If any one thinks they are going to go on some trip one day with an EV and stop to charge for a few bucks LOL they are dreaming.

It will be much like the same thing most pay for gas fuel now but by time instead of gallon. Up and down per demand !
Only way to save on these vehicles is to get them cheaply, which is impossible still !

Business's are not going to put these stations in out of convenience first, but return on the dollar .
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by BuckMink

You talking tap dancing for entertainment ??
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 07:21 AM

Problem solved:

[video:google]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYwT-h9lgJD/?utm_medium=copy_link[/video]
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 11:06 AM

Good luck with that.
Posted By: corky

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:09 PM

If someone is ahead of you now at the gas pump you might have to wait 5 minutes. If the charging station is occupied you may have to wait much longer. If your time is without value there is no problem I suppose. I see big problems ahead for the travel industry.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:12 PM

While waiting for it to charge you'll be singing "too too too too much time on my hands........"
Posted By: BFP

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:18 PM

The price of fossil fuel fluctuates, the price of electricity just goes up.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:19 PM

We've spent all this time going with CORDLESS gadgets to eliminate the bothersome cords. Now the EV are making cords popular again.
I do think EVs are a good idea in the cities where folks don't have far to commute, where money isn't a problem, where time isn't a problem. Folks who don't earn 6 figures will never afford an EV.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BFP

People who think EVs are going to be cheaper aren't doing much thinking.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 12:40 PM

This was discussed here before. The concept that works is standardized batteries that are easily removable and battery replacement stations that swap batteries in a few minutes. That would allow a person to go on their way quickly. The swap cost would be based on an amp-hour basis (the difference in the charge in the newly installed battery and the remaining charge in the one removed). The stations would have a surplus of batteries and would charge the batteries removed. They would have the high voltage transmission lines and substation to provide the power needed.

The concept described above recognizes that batteries take significant time to charge. The present concept of charging stations where people wait is not practical and will not become practical without the development of batteries that can be charged in a few minutes, thereby eliminating the wait.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by BFP

People who think EVs are going to be cheaper aren't doing much thinking.

The way to make it appear cheaper is with plenty of government subsidies, which is our own money in the first place, but folks keep falling for that shell game.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:03 PM

If people are willing to wait that long to charge their cars I want to own the restaurant in that station. Captive audience for $6 a cup coffee and $15 burgers.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
This was discussed here before. The concept that works is standardized batteries that are easily removable and battery replacement stations that swap batteries in a few minutes. That would allow a person to go on their way quickly. The swap cost would be based on an amp-hour basis (the difference in the charge in the newly installed battery and the remaining charge in the one removed). The stations would have a surplus of batteries and would charge the batteries removed. They would have the high voltage transmission lines and substation to provide the power needed.

The concept described above recognizes that batteries take significant time to charge. The present concept of charging stations where people wait is not practical and will not become practical without the development of batteries that can be charged in a few minutes, thereby eliminating the wait.

Might be a lucrative business towing cars that couldn't make it to the battery replacement stations.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 01:59 PM

Does anyone actually have one or know how long it takes to charge? How many miles can it get on a charge? Does speed matter on battery drainage? Can they pull anything? Do they make 4x4’s and if so can they get messed up with bogging?

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Does anyone actually have one or know how long it takes to charge? How many miles can it get on a charge? Does speed matter on battery drainage? Can they pull anything? Do they make 4x4’s and if so can they get messed up with bogging?

I don't know the answers, but I reckon it will all become clearer with time.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:26 PM

The only charge stations I see are at the back of a 100 acre parking lot...

As for swapping batteries, who's going to do that?

can't get anyone to hand a hamburger out a drive through window...at up to 20 bucks an hour....
Posted By: run

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:37 PM

Keep us posted when you actually get the truck. Please.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR

Nice one.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by run

I think it takes an hour to charge the battery.

One hour gets you 30 miles according to this site.
https://www.greshamford.com/blogs/2481/gresham-ford-dealer/electric-f-150-truck/#:~:text=How%20long%20does%20it%20take%20to%20charge%20the,54%20miles%20of%20charge%20in%20only%2010%20minutes.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:48 PM

Well that didn't work, lol.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:51 PM

The picture of the charging station looks as if they used a bunch of laminated lumber to build it ? I guess it’s OK to use fossil fuel to cut down our forest As long as you are using it to build a charging station ?

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 02:52 PM

Try this one....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-charging-generator-power/

The numbers are different on this on. Fast dc charger, less than an hour. Home charger, 10 hours and longer.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:10 PM

Thank you, Hippie.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMink

And an accidental short in the wiring
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 03:57 PM

I'll try.

Charging time depends on size of charger. Apparently fast charging like these stations( 50KW) will reduce the lifetime of your battery bank due to heat. I think all of them come with level 1 charging which is about 1KWH per hour when you plug into a120 v receptacle . Level 2 charging at home is probably going to cost you money for upgrades and may require utility upgrades. These are in the 12KW to 20KW range.

The milage claim is roughly 3 miles per KWH. However these milage claims are not field proven. Motor trend field tested maybe ten different models and none got the rated milage. The overall milage range of the vehicle will degrade over time as the battery degrades.

Speed matters, and driving style.

They can pull stuff. They are heavier than an ICE vehicle, so they should have more momentum.

Power of the vehicle does not seem to be an issue.
Posted By: K52

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 04:08 PM

What does the running the battery to heat and defrost in the winter do to the mileage claims or running the ac in the summer? I’ll bet the mileage claims don’t include those factors.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by K52
What does the running the battery to heat and defrost in the winter do to the mileage claims or running the ac in the summer? I’ll bet the mileage claims don’t include those factors.

Running the heat in the winter uses battery power.

Running heat in the winter in ICE vehicle mostly uses waste heat.

Running an AC in both EV and ICE reduces milage.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 05:22 PM

Tofu - correction buddy. Nobody laughs at a real American man driving an F-350 diesel. In fact, who do you think will build the charging stations? I would like to see a charging station built only by electric power with materials made only by products produced by electricity.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 07:50 PM

A friend was telling me recently that manufacture of the batteries for these electric vehicles is so energy consumptive that you need to drive a full size electric car or truck 50,000 miles on green electricity before the energy savings breaks even with a gasoline burner. Of course, if you are charging them with electricity generated from coal or natural gas, it would take even longer than that. I'll bet the batteries are junk and need to be replaced about that time.

I know if one of those batteries catches on fire, it can take 4 - 10 hours of constant cooling water flow before the fire from "thermal runaway" finally stops re-igniting. I've heard stories of the battery fires even re-kindling up to a week later. We're talking up to 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish an electric car fire. And, the water runoff from extinguishing the batter fire is a hazardous material spill. I sure hope they don't catch on fire very often!

I guess I"ve always been a motorhead. I love the smell of gasoline and oil. I'll take a V-8 every time! VROOOOM!

Ever hear that song "Red Barchetta" by Rush?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by K52

All the government claims are best case scenario, and they lie to steer people in the direction they want you to go.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 10:08 PM

Kart29 say's
I know if one of those batteries catches on fire, it can take 4 - 10 hours of constant cooling water flow before the fire from "thermal runaway" finally stops re-igniting.

Any one putting out electrical fires knows you don't use water on them you use foam, we put fires out all the time on the large ore trucks in the mine, as they have large battery sets in them to run the brakes, foam shuts them down almost instantly, there is no thermal development,

Just some info is all !!
Posted By: EdP

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 10:42 PM

The energy required to push a vehicle increases with speed because air resistance increases with speed. It isn't a linear function either, more like exponential due to turbulance. So, an electric vehicle will see the same effect in that regard as a vehicle powered with any other fuel.

I very much like my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9l Cummins Diesel. Right now it is sitting in my garage with exactly 190,000 miles on the odometer. I think it is finally almost broke in and I expect it to outlast me.

Re: Charging stations - 01/21/22 11:28 PM

EdP, thats the reason the EV's are more streamlined than the blocky trucks and why you see more of these offered than trucks or larger EV's

Though if I had the funds I really like that new EV Hummer pickup coming out, be just the ticket for my driving back and forth to work !!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 12:39 AM

I wonder if an E vechile will get 190,000 mi on her, with very little maintenance?

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 12:41 AM

I can sure picture alot of broke down vehicles on the side of the road.

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:00 AM

I think an investment in an internal combustion engine tow truck could pay for itself if you live close to a major highway.

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:11 AM

Won't be long before there will not be any civilian combustible engines on the road any more, already a couple company's saying they are stopping the building of those and going to EV's only !

Remember when McDonalds was only a quarter for a burger, now look at it, you can't even get real burger anymore for $8.00

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Won't be long before there will not be any civilian combustible engines on the road any more, already a couple company's saying they are stopping the building of those and going to EV's only !

Remember when McDonalds was only a quarter for a burger, now look at it, you can't even get real burger anymore for $8.00

Be time to go back to horses.
Posted By: white17

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by GritGuy

Be time to go back to horses.

For burgers ??
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:57 AM

The Pick-n-Pull junk yards will soon be full of them once the battery goes bad.
Who has $10,000-$15,000 laying around to blow for a battery to put into a car which has already lost half of its retail value?

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by white17
For burgers ??

For everything.

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 01:07 PM

I'll go for the donkeys and mules. LOL.

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by run

Beats electric cars
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 06:19 PM

I'm waiting for DeWalt to come out with their lectric pickup. I already have those battery packs and all the chargers. Would hate to have to switch everything over again.

Re: Charging stations - 01/22/22 06:35 PM

Here yeah go
[Linked Image]

Re: Charging stations - 01/23/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by run

Beats electric cars

LOL.

Re: Charging stations - 01/23/22 02:36 AM

Burgers for a quarter yea White, remember when Mc Donald's had single burgers on Friday nights for ten cents a piece !

Doubt there will be exchange stations at least for Telsa's, Telsa's service and buying contract states only OEM

You think a charging station is going to have those on hand at 7k a piece right now ?

Re: Charging stations - 01/23/22 11:01 AM

As 52carl alluded to, my local junkyard already has 2 Tesla's.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums