Home

Meeting Marty Meierotto

Posted By: JoeGoodman

Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:14 PM

At the National Trappers Convention in Escanaba, Michigan a few years back, I looked up to find none other than Marty Meierotto of the History Channel’s “Mountain Men” TV show standing at my booth. He said, “Hi, Joe! I’ve been an admirer of your artwork for many years and I wanted to come say, hello! In fact, long ago, you illustrated a story I wrote for Fur-Fish-Game magazine and I’ve been following your work ever since.” After I gathered my jaw up from the floor, I invited Marty behind my booth where we talked some more. The article he spoke of was from the May 1998 issue, and was titled, “Herbie of the Black” - a true story of a hermit he met in the Black River Country of Alaska. The recluse was having trouble with a family of grizzlies that were trying to break into his cabin to do him harm. I was assigned to illustrate his story long before the world came to know Marty & his trapline adventures, flying that plane over the Alaskan wilderness. He is an incredible writer and I know you will find this story riveting. In fact, Marty is currently offering a book titled, “In the Land of Wilderness: The writings of Marty Meierotto” available on Amazon. By the time Marty and I were finished visiting, there was a crowd four persons deep, all holding up their phones snapping pics of their favorite “Mountain Man”. Thank you for the visit and kind words, Marty! Folks, he is the real deal!
The pencil drawing used in the article was created from a photoshoot I did at Tom Parr’s cabin behind the Trap History Museum in Galloway, Ohio. I had Tom lean in the window so I could get a sense of the shadows created by a bear trying to enter. I later produced a Limited Edition Artprint from this pencil drawing as well as a T-shirt design titled, “A Bad Case of Cabin Fever”. Both have since sold out.

For more info on the Trap History Museum visit: http://www.traphistorymuseum.com

www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com 614-863-9456 [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:21 PM

That is some fantastic art work and a great story!

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:26 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 160user

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:28 PM

Great picture and drawing!

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:31 PM

I think you all will agree, Marty is a fantastic writer! This is by far the best article I have ever illustrated for Fur-Fish-Game magazine....and I have illustrated a LOT! laugh
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:37 PM

Thanks for posting Joe! Great read and artwork.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:38 PM

I just finished reading the article and that is FANTASTIC!
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:39 PM

Very cool. Thanks for shareing
Posted By: hippie

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 02:43 PM

Nice story, thanks for posting!
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 03:19 PM

I read that a few years back. A search of the soul as to why he did what he did.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 06:02 PM

The wife and I were at the same convention,they had a banquet with him the host that Friday night.He did an unscheduled Q /A afterwards.Very nice guy.The next day the wife and I were sitting at the entrance to one of the buildings when him and his family came in.We watched people walk by and then recognize him and go back to talk to him.Families with young trappers would ask him if they could take his picture with him and he never turned anybody down.Pretty soon he had a crowd around him that he couldn't get away from.He talked and answered everybody's questions,posed for numerous pictures.His wife and daughter are to be commended for their patience.We watched this happening,and my wife remarked"what a class act".He is.
Posted By: JD Nichols

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 06:59 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed that story! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 07:32 PM

Just read a recent article by Marty Meierotto FFG. He seems like a thoughtful and intelligent man. And, he is an excellent writer. The story about Herbie of the Black is a great story.
Posted By: cwilson

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 08:10 PM

Joe:

Thanks for sharing that! A+ on the story and illustration.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 09:29 PM

Just inspired me to order Marty's book and two other books from the ATA.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/21/22 09:38 PM

Wonderful!
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/22/22 12:10 AM

I was at the same convention and Marty's daughter was handing out traps to all the kids who went by. He took time out to talk to my son and sign the Mink board my son was collecting autographs on. He struck me as a very down to earth kind of guy.
Posted By: DON B

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/22/22 12:48 AM

Man that was a good read! Sure wished I'd have acquired that print now. Can't believe I don't have it.
Sure hope all is well Joe.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/22/22 12:53 AM

Thanks Joe, and thanks Marty! A very enjoyable and interesting read!
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/22/22 02:02 AM

Very cool story
Posted By: gary j

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/23/22 05:40 PM

I recommend his book very highly. I met Marty at the convention there also. We spent about 3 hrs yaking on wed afternoon while everyone was setting up booths. He grew up a very few miles from me across the Oliver bridge from Duluth to South Superior and Foxboro, Wi. He has a great sense of humor I am glad he is doing well.
Gary J
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Meeting Marty Meierotto - 01/23/22 08:55 PM

Fantastic story. Thanks for posting. I may have to buy his book as well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums