Home

Stocking your pantry and home.

Posted By: Flicker Shad

Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 05:41 PM

What are your must haves that you keep well stocked up in your home?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 06:40 PM

We like to keep a few cans of stuff that will make a quick meal when time is a problem. Like to keep a couple cans of canned milk. I prefer fresh but stuff happens. Like to not run out of flour sugar salt and coffee. So keep some extra stead of replacing it just when its gone.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 06:52 PM

Toilet paper, paper towels, canned goods, freezer full of meat and veggies. Dry pasta and rice stores well and is pretty versatile for meal options. Canned tuna and crackers make a pretty good lunch. We keep lots of soups around too, and we freeze several loaves of bread.
Other stuff we tend to stock up on are cleaning and hygiene products. Soaps, shampoos, deodorant, toothpaste.
We also always have lots of bullets on hand. Not to hoard but we remember when they were hard to find so when available we stock up.
Got a lot of canned apples and tomatoes from last summer.
We keep several cases of water and Gatorade zero on hand too.

We try to replace as we use, so we keep supplies decent. Been snowed in before, been without power for couple days at times, alternative ways to cook and heat are helpful too.
Jim
Posted By: 160user

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:11 PM

Whiskey, cigarettes, Copenhagen and Ramen. Toilet paper comes in handy once a day too.
Posted By: CaseXX

My opinion only others can and do have their own. Look at your pantry after shopping. See that? Get more. Guns and ammo lots of both, forget that hoarding stuff if you want it, can get it, you have a right to buy it. Basically look around your home, everything you use each and every day get more, with a redundancy plan for each in order of priority to yourself. Then have a plan C. After a few years it becomes a way of life, 2nd nature. After a few more years you should want for naught. Not only for yourself but others of your choosing as per your priorities. IMO.
Case
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

store what you eat eat what you store.

since I can't eat the rice , pasta , cereal grains , we store a lot less of that

it is nice to have month of meals on hand

really a month of everything

3 months of TP and any items that have had shortages on the shelf like peanut oil

bullets 3 years at minimal shooting and hunting ammo 10 years because of the cost of having to find another load your gun likes

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Whiskey, cigarettes, Copenhagen and Ramen. Toilet paper comes in handy once a day too.

160user, sir I've still not found a way to keep Beechnut moist without rotating at least every 3-4 months even freezer freeze dries it. I'm open to ideas. In a few more years it will be a hundred bucks a bag. I can't abide by that. Maybe grow some tobacco, don't know.
Case.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:24 PM

[Linked Image]
I like to fix stuff like this then freeze it in meal size containers so it's fast and easy.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:29 PM

Everything mentioned above ,,plus lots of Peanut Butter and home canned jam.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by CaseXX

160user, sir I've still not found a way to keep Beechnut moist without rotating at least every 3-4 months even freezer freeze dries it. I'm open to ideas. In a few more years it will be a hundred bucks a bag. I can't abide by that. Maybe grow some tobacco, don't know.
Case.

You could keep your Beechnut in a humidor.

Keith
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:46 PM

Ammo
RICE
AMMO
COFFEE
AMMO
ARROWS/BOLTS
MEAT
AMMO FOR MOR MEAT
POP

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:52 PM

KeithC, not a bad idea. Do they make one smaller than a closet and bigger than the one out on my desk? Maybe like a small chest o drawers, or a hope chest? I'm gonna google that. Good idea, thanks.
Case

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Ammo
RICE
AMMO
COFFEE
AMMO
ARROWS/BOLTS
MEAT
AMMO FOR MOR MEAT
POP

330 Trap.
You forgot ammo.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
Case
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 07:56 PM

KeithC, not a bad idea. Do they make one smaller than a closet and bigger than the one out on my desk? Maybe like a small chest o drawers, or a hope chest? I'm gonna google that. Good idea, thanks.
Case

what ever size tote you want , put your stuff in and have a container on one side to put water and a sponge in so that it evaporates and keeps it all humid

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Case

what ever size tote you want , put your stuff in and have a container on one side to put water and a sponge in so that it evaporates and keeps it all humid

OK, I'll ponder on that a while, sounds easy enough. They make a lot of those plastic totes in all sizes. Glad I asked.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 08:25 PM

I always have had plenty of stored items , as the nearest town of any size is over an hour's drive, so I'm used to it. I only drive in periodically to stock up.

Many things mentioned above is also what I store.

A first aid category, full of plenty of emergency supplies, is good , too. As well as plenty of batteries, matches, candles.

Occasionally, heavy snow on trees will take out power.

One thing to have, in emergency....is peanut butter and sugar. If you are down to nothing, and need a spike of protein and energy for slow and fast burn carbs, a spoonful of sugar with peanut butter will keep you going. That's if you are down to nothing ...

I can cook on my propane stove is power is out, and on my wood stove.

I always keep my truck full of gas, with some canisters stored.

And plenty of ammo.

One of my editors, who is well known here, once said to me years ago....if the world ever comes to an end, set your aim on cats. Domestic....or feral cats .....he said he has tried many things to eat , there's a never ending supply of meat on the "hoof" , if it ever gets that bad ....he said it really isn't bad meat, has a light nutty taste ....I knew he was telling me straight on that...but I laughed and thought...well, I'll keep my sights on the big critters until then !

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 08:39 PM

Case.

Well the new Copenhagen is in a plastic can so this is just a guess but I would vacuum seal your bags of beechnut.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 09:24 PM

When at the store I always buy a few extra cans of soup or other things we use on a regular basis (you would be amazed at how many cans of olives i have) . Seriously a few extra items like canned goods, beans. peas, noodles. every trip and soon the pantry will be over flowing.
Remember bullets and snare cables!
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 09:31 PM

Only thing I would add is some over the counter medications and some antibiotics if you can find a source.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 09:37 PM

Wouldn't the smarter move be quitting addictions before the absence of them forced you too? Then you could hoard the addicting (legal) substances and sell them to those who are still addicted!

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/23/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Wouldn't the smarter move be quitting addictions before the absence of them forced you too? Then you could hoard the addicting (legal) substances and sell them to those who are still addicted!

My Momma didn't raise no quitter!
Posted By: trap master

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 12:03 AM

Still single huh....good times!

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by trap master

Still single huh....good times!

You got it and I hope to stay that way forever too.

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper

NOOOO!!!!

But I do think it is pretty presumptuous of someone that has no knowledge of another to assume they are smarter than the other, and presume they have the right to suggest to them how to live their life. Do you have so much time you can live two peoples lives? Why don't you just take care of yourself. I'll do the same.

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 12:33 AM

All these shortages are making me consider stocking more than normal. Hope Drifter doesn't read this because he already thinks I have too much food on hand, lol. But I'm missing certain things in bulk, like PB, pasta, sugar, etc.

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
All these shortages are making me consider stocking more than normal. Hope Drifter doesn't read this because he already thinks I have too much food on hand, lol. But I'm missing certain things in bulk, like PB, pasta, sugar, etc.

Just asked the Mrs. To get a couple more big jars of Skippy smooth you can never have to much ammo or PB. Or single malt scotch for that matter.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 01:14 AM

If you absolutely have to have milk, a box of quart sized packets of nonfat dried milk works in a pinch. Mix it up one day, store if another and it will taste like milk instead of the milk replacer you give to a bucket calf.

Once you get past the sticker shock that is. Great Value is just that when it comes to nonfat dried milk.

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon

One thing to have, in emergency....is peanut butter and sugar. If you are down to nothing, and need a spike of protein and energy for slow and fast burn carbs, a spoonful of sugar with peanut butter will keep you going.

My oldest son is realy into wilderness hiking,,hunting and wilderness survival.He will disappear into the Adirondack Mountains here for a week or so at a time.He will track a big buck for days through the mountains till he kills it.He said he can go hard all day on just a peanut butter and honey sandwich.Said that will give him all the energy he needs till supper time at night.My sister and brother in law raise honey bees,,so he has access to all the fresh honey he wants. smile

Re: Stocking your pantry and home. - 01/24/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

store what you eat eat what you store.

True words right there.After you have done this for some years,,you will figure out what actualy gets eaten,,and what just sits on the shelf till after expired.Then,,be sure to rotate your stock. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums