Home

Sold to Grony

Posted By: 3togo

Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:25 PM

Yesterday, January 27th.
Here's a picture of the bad news.
[Linked Image]

Those were the best of all my coyotes. Said they were speculative buying.

The 4 mink @$4.00 were large or exlarge. The rats were stretched to FHA dimensions close as I could get them. Said they were to narrow, Chinese lik 'em wider.

And you can see castor was $60/lb.

I won't be driving as far next year, or taking 6 weeks of my time in the process.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:41 PM

Thanks for posting 3togo. Interesting...Depressing...

Jack
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:46 PM

That would be my last sale there.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
That would be my last sale there.

x2
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:50 PM

Might be the last sale anywhere.....where would you get more?
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 06:53 PM

At least you got a nice print out of your prices. If Groney sets the standards for the market it looks as if a lot of trappers will be disappointed.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:01 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:03 PM

There will be a market once the global BS clears. No one knows what price levels will be, thus the low speculative prices, but the fact that fur buyers are buying indicates there will eventually be a market.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:06 PM

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:08 PM

I agree with Boco, he wouldn’t get any more.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391

Probably anywhere else.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by newfox1

Then who will get it?

Illinois coyotes.....who wants them?

You guys, like Boco, that have high quality fur and tans a lot for selling to a craft or wallhanger market are not in the same category as the rest of us.
Posted By: gibb

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:12 PM

At least you were able to sell everything, prices not the best by a long shot.

The auction will have a lot of unsold

I have select beaver held there for over 2 years.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:16 PM

Gibb, I heard FHA wasn't holding anything this sale, that everything would be sold. Any truth to that? 3togo Thanks for posting.
Posted By: possum63

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:32 PM

What were you expecting to get?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:37 PM

Sorry Man, Bocco's right
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:39 PM

Read Trevors flier, Very low interest in coyotes, selective demand! He and Groeny have been singing the same tune. Problem is everyone is watching the dancing girls!
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:40 PM

There is no market anywhere for fur at this date. Groenewold was pretty likely being as fair as he could, given the market condition today. If this low and discouraging price level is not enough, the only answer is not to sell. Hold it for next season and hope any market level developes. There is interest in Sables and high quality western cats, but I think that's it.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by newfox1

Then who will get it?

Illinois coyotes.....who wants them?

You guys, like Boco, that have high quality fur and tans a lot for selling to a craft or wallhanger market are not in the same category as the rest of us.

Correct! We know what we are doing. smile

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 07:49 PM

Honestly, I hope you had fun trapping them, even at a loss. The $250 will buy a couple gallons of your gas.

Hobby trappers often see it as any other hobby that gives little in return. Have as much fun as you can afford to have. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:06 PM

Noticing a pattern of lower pricing after last auction receiving dates.
Not just this season.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:10 PM

Only thing worth trapping at those prices is muskrat. Seems like a low price for Castor but maybe that's crashed too.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:14 PM

Maybe you could post a few pictures of the fur you sold?
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:36 PM

I'm glad I stopped selling to them this year other outlet out there pay better
Posted By: Squash

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:45 PM

Where’s Walleyed telling us ”Groney rocks ” ?
Posted By: 080808

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:45 PM

Not to defend Groney but for all you folks who CLAIM you get better prices I want to see a representative number of pelts with results in WRITING. Show me the color of your money!
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 08:59 PM

I couldn't give the pelts away at that price, I think opposite, I think fur prices are going to go through the roof once all the global logistics problems get fixed. Think about it, sky high fuel prices...families are going to buy more coats to stay warm vice burning that fuel.

There is something to be said about Groeny paying out for pelts when many others can not or will not purchase them, so hats off to them even If I don't like their prices.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:04 PM

February 19th, will be a good gauge on market prices. Catt. County Trappers Association will have their annual Fur Auction at Hinsdale NY. Last year or the year before they had one of the best auctions in the country. With over 10 buyers each year. I believe it was 14 buyers last year.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:26 PM

Those prices are pittiful, not that they are good anywhere. Be better off tanning everything and selling that way.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Gibb, I heard FHA wasn't holding anything this sale, that everything would be sold. Any truth to that? 3togo Thanks for posting.

Have not heard anything.

With two sales schedule they will have a lot of unsold goods from the March sale.

Would not be wise for them to dump goods until after the second pickup routes are run.

A lot of guys are shipping this year because of the falling market, I predict a lot of unhappy campers come March.

Will probably be a bloodbath after the June sale. Last year they hadn't even finished the Aug sale and they PT everything they could.

Not a big enough operate to store a lot of inventory.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

But, you have that option.....Im just jealous....

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by gibb
Originally Posted by MJM

Have not heard anything.

With two sales schedule they will have a lot of unsold goods from the March sale.

Would not be wise for them to dump goods until after the second pickup routes are run.

A lot of guys are shipping this year because of the falling market, I predict a lot of unhappy campers come March.

Will probably be a bloodbath after the June sale. Last year they hadn't even finished the Aug sale and they PT everything they could.

I hope they sell everything for market price.
If you want to store fur store it in your freezer at home.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by gibb

Have not heard anything.

If you want to store fur store it in your freezer at home.

That will help everybody.

Next good barometer of the fur market will be the Colorado Sale.

Looks like only high end bobcats and a few taxidermy items in any real demand.

Always a market for the best stuff but trappers need a market beaver, raccoon and muskrats to make it work.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

I'm here lurking in the weeds.

Groeny may rock but my rats are growing mold in the shipping bag
up in North Bay, Ontario, Canada.

Hopefully they won't be graded by BOCO or the infamous Gibb !! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:56 PM

Those $10.00 coyotes must have been a lot better then my $2.00 coyotes I sold to Barnes. I recycled the last 5 coyotes I caught. My buddy has some deer ground and wants the coyotes gone so I'm helping out.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by Squash

I'm here lurking in the weeds.

Groeny may rock but my rats are growing mold in the shipping bag
up in North Bay, Ontario, Canada.

Hopefully they won't be graded by BOCO or the infamous Gibb !! laugh

walleyed

I hope Toby didnt get held up by the Canadian freedom convoy.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 10:06 PM

Those prices sound terrible ! Where else could get more ? Be scared try FHA, plan on go groeny tomma, ,if super low offer on coon, probly keep them just sell rats or something for extra cash , what could I be put go thru FHA, ? A cpl hundred more bucks less groeny, worse case scerino

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 10:06 PM

I hope Toby didnt get held up by the Canadian freedom convoy.

Yup,

Proof positive that Canada is the free-est place on earth.

Too bad yooose guyz lost in 1812 !!! laugh

Toby will ram his way thru those lines of Canadian trucker rabble !!! laugh

walleyed

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Those prices sound terrible ! Where else could get more ? Be scared try FHA, plan on go groeny tomma, ,if super low offer on coon, probly keep them just sell rats or something for extra cash , what could I be put go thru FHA, ? A cpl hundred more bucks less groeny, worse case scerino

Coonman,

What ever you do to market your pelts.......You are screwed !!!! shocked

w

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 10:10 PM

But, you have that option.....Im just jealous....

What choice have I had the last 30 years? Most species here, would not make you any decent money the last 30 years selling to the fur industry. Production costs are too high and fur densities are too low. I'm only one of the 5% that do it for the money anyway. smile

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 11:16 PM

Dirt,

Ask Boco how to do it. He seems to be working it well.

My Georgia fur marketing methods probably wont help you much.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 11:17 PM

Groeny saying the rats stretched narrow so low price B.S. ! If you could see how Kramer of Medford Wild furs stretches bvr, nails bout every 3-4 inches. I know not rats but Kramer said pelts if stretched narrow still tan out the size the pelt is. I think Groeny pulling a fast one. Like some sang buyers , one yr you dont have fat roots, buyers want narrow long roots, next year the opposite..... the producer gets the shaft.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 11:23 PM

I do know that Groeny prefers muskrat stretched on wire.
Posted By: possum63

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 11:31 PM

Still wondering what you thought you would get??

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/28/22 11:32 PM

Dirt,

I don't want his advice or yours.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 12:00 AM

These type of prices are why many of us have been sitting on the sidelines and only doing ADC which pays well.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 080808
Not to defend Groney but for all you folks who CLAIM you get better prices I want to see a representative number of pelts with results in WRITING. Show me the color of your money!

7.37 for beaver and 3.50 for rats everything was Skun only.Groeny doesn’t rock this year.

Attached picture D17325A7-CE6F-4606-A8D2-3994D663FD5D.jpeg
Attached picture C9FF059F-459E-4FD7-AF1B-FD2FD864B0D0.jpeg
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Groeny saying the rats stretched narrow so low price B.S. ! If you could see how Kramer of Medford Wild furs stretches bvr, nails bout every 3-4 inches. I know not rats but Kramer said pelts if stretched narrow still tan out the size the pelt is. I think Groeny pulling a fast one. Like some sang buyers , one yr you dont have fat roots, buyers want narrow long roots, next year the opposite..... the producer gets the shaft.

I wouldn’t make Kramer’s put up job a bench mark…I’ve seen his stuff after the tannery and I’m not impressed…at all!

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

There is no market anywhere for fur at this date. Groenewold was pretty likely being as fair as he could, given the market condition today. If this low and discouraging price level is not enough, the only answer is not to sell. Hold it for next season and hope any market level developes. There is interest in Sables and high quality western cats, but I think that's it.

That was my point to a T..
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 12:59 AM

Just like buying a truck somebody always knows somebody who did lots better then you Thanks for the post
The You Shouldas and I Wouldas have never posted their results
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 01:43 AM

If gfw is only paying $10.00 for coyotes I dont fill so bad getting a $10.25 average on my coyotes I sold to the country fur buyer.
Posted By: sjc

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 02:52 AM

I'm sitting on about 3500 rats and a menagerie of other fur. I have another gig besides trapping and can afford to gamble. Too bad for those who have to sell...
Posted By: justin frushour

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:01 AM

well said ADC

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:03 AM

Groney could have offered half that and I would bet most guys would sell. At least I saw situations like that in his route videos.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:18 AM

Groeny Rocks!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Honestly, I hope you had fun trapping them, even at a loss. The $250 will buy a couple gallons of your gas.

Hobby trappers often see it as any other hobby that gives little in return. Have as much fun as you can afford to have. [Linked Image]

Exactly Jayme!
First thing people alway ask if you say you’ve been trapping or coon hunting is “what are they worth?” I alway answer, “more than a duck”. Lol
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:54 AM

Dirt-

Are you saying outside of your boreal species that we obviously don't have, the Midwest farmland has greater fur density per square mile than the "armpit"...?
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:20 AM

possum,
I knew things would be low. He asked, I told him I was hoping for a $15 average. I didn't keep any questionable coyotes, threw quite a few away. He said he could see they were all good but no way could he do $15. I thought about pulling out 4-5 of the lightest colored ones and sending to be tanned, but I can plan on that next year.

Saving grace is I have drainage ditches in ag land that pay $50 per beaver. I already have some $$ coming from that, but the season doesn't end until March 31, so I will have some time to see if any are left. The state park canal that runs through most of the state east to west has beavers. The state pays $20 per beav. About a mile from my house.

If the state auction was closer I would have pulled them and waited. But 3-1/2 hour drive one way, I would have lost in gas what I might have made.

I'll be planning for next season. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the bunch finished, but they were as good as one can get in this area.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:38 AM

Thanks for sharing 3togo!

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Dirt-

Are you saying outside of your boreal species that we obviously don't have, the Midwest farmland has greater fur density per square mile than the "armpit"...?

Is this a secret?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Those $10.00 coyotes must have been a lot better then my $2.00 coyotes I sold to Barnes. I recycled the last 5 coyotes I caught. My buddy has some deer ground and wants the coyotes gone so I'm helping out.

Even $10 isn't enough to make it worthwhile when ya factor the time involved to put up a coyote.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Originally Posted by 080808

7.37 for beaver and 3.50 for rats everything was Skun only.Groeny doesn’t rock this year.
U got $12 a coon ?

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 05:12 AM

3 coons totaled $12 coonman.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 05:29 AM

Dirt-

Is this a secret?

C'mon man, you know that fur is dripping off of the boreal spruce trees!

But seriously, what does it say for restoration ecology theory and practice that as many places as possible have to be returned to "natural" conditions as possible? If Midwest farmland has more say beaver in a 100 sq. mile blocks than the armpit of AK, what does that say about landscape restoration?? Now some such ecologists and their supporters would say the the Midwest beaver pop is artificially sustained by all the ag nutrients that are imputed into the ecosystem and if they were taken away, all the extra stuff that farmland beavs are thriving on will fall away.

O maybe we can just admit that almost all ecosystems are now altered in some form by us and we get by managing what's now there the best we can? Of course, if I make that argument in many peer-reviewed journals, I'll never get published there again (not that those folks are my current gig). Take a look at Sniffy and the minions "30x30" plans or their "America the Beautiful" (more recent) and figure out how much is fairly decent that a lot of people could live with and how much is just aggressive ganga smoking fantasy?

At least on a personal scale, my dealing with such people currently has a 4 year over the horizon view. Or maybe less...who knows for sure in the end...
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 06:02 AM

I would wager agriculture in the lower 48 is responsible for the high number of deer and coon, and probably many others.

But much of Alaska is hard up country, depending on location. For instance, here we have beaver coming out our eyeball's. No closed season we can hunt trap year round. Same with muskrats. Armpit has a seaon.

Our moose season is 9 months long, bag limit of two moose a season cow calf or bull. The Armpit has a month long season one bull limit probaly antler restrictions as well.
So its all dependent on location.

Trapping in Alaska is more work and more expensive for much less fur. No easy ditch trapping or trapping from the heated cab of a pickup with a sippy cup of coffee in your hand. Its more like cold, hard, work.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 06:35 AM

Yes, "subsistence living" up there is just that, putting (most) of your food on the table and making coin from what you can gather. And Dirt and others have stated that many times, its not a hobby but butt tiring work. That's the reason why so few people actually live that way.

And full disclosure, I'm probably one of the hobbiest of the hobby trappers on here

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 07:46 AM

Dirt,

I don't want his advice or yours.

Seems like you need someone's advice as much as you complain about not making any money with that Alaskan fur...when you have the best product out there and still cant seem to make any $$.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 3togo
possum,
I knew things would be low. He asked, I told him I was hoping for a $15 average. I didn't keep any questionable coyotes, threw quite a few away. He said he could see they were all good but no way could he do $15. I thought about pulling out 4-5 of the lightest colored ones and sending to be tanned, but I can plan on that next year.

Saving grace is I have drainage ditches in ag land that pay $50 per beaver. I already have some $$ coming from that, but the season doesn't end until March 31, so I will have some time to see if any are left. The state park canal that runs through most of the state east to west has beavers. The state pays $20 per beav. About a mile from my house.

If the state auction was closer I would have pulled them and waited. But 3-1/2 hour drive one way, I would have lost in gas what I might have made.

I'll be planning for next season. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the bunch finished, but they were as good as one can get in this area.

The ADC $$ keep us going. Thanks goodness for fawn-eating coyotes, egg-eating coons, and stream-blocking beavers.

Wait until I post what GFWC pays for this Georgia fur come March......it'll take the criticisms off of you. I guarantee it! Lol

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 02:00 PM

Swamp Wolf, one more time. I can't make any decent money selling to the fur industry. on most species. Pretty common for AK trappers trying to make better money to market outside of the fur industry (Auctions/ Furbuyers). Been that way since the end of the boom.

Outside of prices similar to fur boom or better, this only gets worse.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 02:24 PM

It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

Oh, I was thinking coon were up a little earlier an big wisc coon an had 3@$12! Pull few traps I had set tues with a rat is it, was thinking set 2 fishhead sets this morning for 1 day, a little warmer Tonite, but for 1 day, even if close home, an easy, not real hot location, plus was there forever earlier with other sets an minimal catches, plus got sniffles an hope all it is an not want get worse , especally before funureal I got go to next week early , probly forget it an get ready meet groenwold soon, I usally quit trapping the 2 ND day before end season , what if pickup breaks down? In shop an can't get to traps an season closed or other a emergency, get hurt work ? Work Monday , not likely but could happen, a year ago, drifting snow an big drifts this morning, pull few had with coon an rat , sun was last day a year ago, went to get gas an smelt coolant or oil, went home an pop hood, coolant all over, has tow in next day to shop, no work, miss, had prettner $1000 bill end day for what wrong an found bunch other stuff fix an parts, the owner was ask me If still trapping an I say done , said couldn't loan out loaned truck to go country trapping an just home an work , not likely but things can happen
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:29 PM

Have not heard anything.

[/quote]
If you want to store fur store it in your freezer at home.[/quote]

Has anyone calculated what it costs to hold fur in a freezer at home for a season, year or what ever?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 03:58 PM

Might be kind of hard to do for some, Mac. For example, I've held fur over in a freezer that had other stuff in it and was going to run anyway, so in that case I figured no real cost.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:42 PM

We sold rats Friday January 28th to Weibke in LaCrosse
My trapping partner sold 689 rat with a $3.93 average. I don't have his exact breakdown. He shipped 33 rats for the March FHA sale about half and half good and poorer rats

I sold 371 rats with the following breakdowns I shipped 25 rats, my 8 mink and 8 coons for the March FHA sale. These were all better through the ice rats
Average $3.95
48 3xl at $5
154 2xl at $4.50
121 xl at $3.50
15 slights at $3.00
15 large at $2.50
14 mediums at $1.50
3 kits at $1.00 My poorest 30 rats were in this 371

Bryce
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:44 PM

Thats a nice average.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:53 PM

Not worth the gas to drive there.

Im not going to trap beaver to only cut out their castors
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

Oh, I was thinking coon were up a little earlier an big wisc coon an had 3@$12! Pull few traps I had set tues with a rat is it, was thinking set 2 fishhead sets this morning for 1 day, a little warmer Tonite, but for 1 day, even if close home, an easy, not real hot location, plus was there forever earlier with other sets an minimal catches, plus got sniffles an hope all it is an not want get worse , especally before funureal I got go to next week early , probly forget it an get ready meet groenwold soon, I usally quit trapping the 2 ND day before end season , what if pickup breaks down? In shop an can't get to traps an season closed or other a emergency, get hurt work ? Work Monday , not likely but could happen, a year ago, drifting snow an big drifts this morning, pull few had with coon an rat , sun was last day a year ago, went to get gas an smelt coolant or oil, went home an pop hood, coolant all over, has tow in next day to shop, no work, miss, had prettner $1000 bill end day for what wrong an found bunch other stuff fix an parts, the owner was ask me If still trapping an I say done , said couldn't loan out loaned truck to go country trapping an just home an work , not likely but things can happen

Dang, theres a country song in this post. Sniffles, funeral, missed work, broke down truck

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
Not worth the gas to drive there.

Same problem for me. I'm not going to drive more than 20 miles out of my way in this market to sell fur to any buyers.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 08:06 PM

I'm sure most already know this, but maybe listing your own fur on the famous auction website is the way to go. I was checking out prices and there are lots of sales for untanned pelts, just make sure you have good pictures including of the skin on the other side. You could make some money tanning, but only in batches of 100x the species to get a low price at Moyles. Last tip for the famous auction website is to start everything off at penny sales with NO RESERVE. You have to be willing to lose 1 or 2 out of 20 furs at a low price, but typically penny auctions net the best sales.

Come down to the swamp, where it's hot, extremely humid, everyday is a wet day. Almost everyday you are walking a long way to get a short distance if you don't have a boat. Every climate has it cons and pros, but for me i'd rather be down here personally.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 08:13 PM

alot of people saying groney or auction is there only options....there are 2 or 3 buyers here in trapshed paying higher prices then being posted here....shop around!!!
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/29/22 08:52 PM

I'm and end user for my own business, I always pay more for oddball colors and coyote pelts with paws on done to the nail. As well as most other pelts, mostly in the western region out here, with exception to otters. I don't usually buy any cats as they are better sold to auctions for a higher return than I can give, though in my own state once in a while I may, especially kids trapping.

People want to sale they need to know how to shop for a buyer and need to learn to pelt out with paws on, to get my dollars for most fur I'm interested in. It's not just a bundle up and bring in deal to most end users, it's a single or just a few depending on how much they can sale in finished product.

I only buy a certain amount of one species each year, and I always rotate it, but will buy a mix amount of others as in badgers, mostly pales and silvers large eastern coons I always beat the auctions. I always am usually done buying before the auctions as well. Don't need the tire kickers, I usually have orders developing now for next year with trusted sellers, as I buy sight unseen once, if it works great if you ship crap, you go on my list to not buy from again, worked very well for several years now.

I won't buy home tanned anything, don't ship it and expect me to buy it I will send in it back. I don't pay until I see the pelts either, trust works both ways !

Don't whine about your auctions find your own buyers, they are out there but don't advertise maybe only once or twice, they cannot buy the whole countries pelts, if your first in line you get a good return, wait and try to use them against an auction and you will lose, end users don't need to wait, when they are ready to buy it's time to move.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:01 AM

I try post screen shot of receipt , on lil while, better than thought, $14 top on coon an $6.70 average, beaver average $10. Not real huge beaver either, buyer say coon up a lil, want as many beaver as can get, say stuff start move again

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:09 AM

Dave, were the beaver put up?
Posted By: LDW

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:16 AM

I got $30.00 for some of my coyotes.

Attached picture IMG_20220129_191404847~2.jpg

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
Dave, were the beaver put up?

Yes everthing was finish, sound like price increase on beaver an coon
Posted By: wamp

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:22 AM

Indiana State fur auction today
Coyote $10.00 top avg$6.90
Rats $7.25 top avg $4.24

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:25 AM

LDW who did you sell to?

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:49 AM

How u post pics on here

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 03:18 AM

I try post screen shot of receipt , on lil while, better than thought, $14 top on coon an $6.70 average, beaver average $10. Not real huge beaver either, buyer say coon up a lil, want as many beaver as can get, say stuff start move again

How u post pics on here

Here you go dave...

Averages:
$10.40 on 5 beaver
$3.25 on 44 muskrats
$3.00 on 12 mink
$6.68 on 79 coon
[Linked Image]

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 03:43 AM

I'm kinda surprised there's any market for possum. I wonder what he will do with those 2 opossum.

Those coon prices seem higher than I expected

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 01:38 PM

It will be interesting to see how trappers respond when prices rise from this years god awful prices to next years increase to awful prices. Have we set new low standards yet again? It is an interesting phenomenon.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 02:48 PM

Gonna take awhile for prices to rise. Absolutely nothing new about that.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

Those coon prices seem higher than I expected

Maybe Coonman is going to be Groney's new Pleuger.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:07 PM

Is that GFC sales receipt recent?

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:12 PM

What caused the different "piles" for the 27 coon that sold @ $6 and 8 that sold @ 6? Must be variables missing ...

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:21 PM

Yes. He sold yesterday.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:42 PM

What caused the different "piles" for the 27 coon that sold @ $6 and 8 that sold @ 6? Must be variables missing ...

Because it was from when put in window of buyers truck, he counted piles an ok price him, he threw on back truck an load more coon in, some were early coon or been in $10 pile or $6 pile instead 6 or 3, if u look at other groenwold receipts, they always list the pelts like that

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Yes. He sold yesterday.

Interesting difference in GFC in Illinois and GFC in Iowa.

Re: Sold to Grony - 01/30/22 06:31 PM

Because it was from when put in window of buyers truck, he counted piles an ok price him, he threw on back truck an load more coon in, some were early coon or been in $10 pile or $6 pile instead 6 or 3, if u look at other groenwold receipts, they always list the pelts like that

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Because I haven't experienced any GFW management of how they keep track of what's dumped through the window, I wouldn't have got that on my own.

Dave, I hope your $500+ check helps you out on squaring away the latest issues on your truck. Or if you're worried about food costs, you could buy a lot of store brand canned veggies (carbs), "chili" beans (cooked mature beans- protein and carbs), and some canned meats (protein, some fats). I've built a nice little larder of such (along with other various ways of putting away food) since this summer and I bet I have less than 500 bucks into it. If SHTF doesn't happen before later 2023/early 2024, a rotation of said canned foods will start with the local food pantry or I'll just eat more of that sort of stuff...

Re: Sold to Grony - 03/06/22 04:30 AM

It will be interesting to see how trappers respond when prices rise from this years god awful prices to next years increase to awful prices. Have we set new low standards yet again? It is an interesting phenomenon.

It will be interesting to see if the troubles with Rusia effect fur prices much
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Sold to Grony - 03/06/22 05:04 AM

if anyone has 12 mink for 36$ let me know i would give you 100$ (Whole)
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sold to Grony - 03/06/22 11:59 AM

There's no need for prices to increase when guys are willing to sell at today's prices.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Sold to Grony - 03/06/22 01:54 PM

1902 prices
© 2024 Trapperman Forums